PDA

View Full Version : Keep getting shocks from Metal

phil06
20-04-07, 00:00
Not sure if this is an anxiety symptom or not but I keep getting shocks when I touch anything metal, handles...car doors I've had it for about a month or so now and it's made me worry, anybody else get this?

honeybee
20-04-07, 00:02
have you been wearing a new pair of shoes??? i always get shocks if i wear a certain air of trainers... dont wear them anymore

phil06
20-04-07, 00:04
have you been wearing a new pair of shoes??? i always get shocks if i wear a certain air of trainers... dont wear them anymore

Nope. It seems to happen when I wear shoes or trainers and it seems to happen daily...I have to cover up my hands when i touch a door handle as it seems to give me a shock...

eastender
20-04-07, 00:50
I've had the same thing for years! Always put it down to static electricity, don't know for sure why it happens!

cattttt
20-04-07, 05:41
Static electricity, happens more in dry weather, or if you are wearing synthetic clothes. Try wearing cotton or wool clothes, leather shoes. Or you could try discharging yourself on something less painful before you touch the metal things!! Like touch the car window before you touch the door handle.

kate
20-04-07, 07:31
I get exactly the same too!

Kate

Trev
20-04-07, 09:51
Static discharge. Will be worse as has been mentioned if you have a combination of synthetic materials such as the trainers you mentioned plus maybe a synthetic carpet for example. You haven't had a new carpet have you?

Weather conditions will play their part also. Charge in the atmosphere changes.

You can quite easily build a charge on your skin of 35,000 volts or more. Sounds very scary but it's not. Not at all dangerous to us but annoying at times when you get "zapped"!!! Being "zapped" is just a discharge.

You can buy air ionisers which could help but it's a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut. They are also said to be good for general wellbeing but, as I say, it may be a bit over the top just for this problem.

Not sure how valid this claim of ionisers being good for overall wellbeing is but many people believe in it so it must be true!!! ;-)

pgw84
20-04-07, 09:56
Hi phil! For the last few weeks I keep getting static shocks off my car when getting out and closing the door. It also happened on and off before this. I've come to the conclusion that static must be building up when I'm turning the steering wheel this way and that, so that when I get out I get a shock. It's not a powerful one, but it wakes you up a bit. :wacko:

darkangel
20-04-07, 10:57
tesco trollies are so bad for that too............and the strange bit is - it only happens to me when in the clothing aisles (weird)

DA

Jimbo
20-04-07, 11:03
This is definately static, I always get it when I'm in the chemist. The air is so dry and airconditioned. I go to leave and touch the door handle and get a big jolt off it. It happenes every time.

Most bystanders find it most very amusing. :lac:

It's nothing to worry about and won't do any harm. Like the others said try to touch something else to ground yourself before. Rubber soled shoes stop the static that builds up on you getting to earth then when you touch something that is earthed you get the shock as the static discharges.

We must just be 'highly charged! :winks:

Jim

lin
20-04-07, 11:27
I sometimes get this i don't think it's down to anxiety it's just one of those things that happpen.I mainly get it when i'm doing my shopping when i first touch the trolly but it only happens once though.

linda