PDA

View Full Version : Flying to the US and Panic!

russ
20-04-07, 08:07
I'm going on holiday in a few weeks, it is a family holiday, our first for about 10 years to Las Vegas.

I've only ever been on a plane when I was about 10, and I was very upset then.

I'm naturally nervous of planes and the thought of being on one for 11 hours in the air scares me. Add to the fact I get chest pains (costo so I'm told) and am anxious, I'm very scared!

My main fear is I'm going to have a heart attack on the plane.

Is there any advice for me?

Dying_Swan
20-04-07, 09:51
Hey Russ.

What does 'costo' mean?

I can't see any reason why you would have a heart attack in the air. Also remember that the cabin crew are highly trained in dealing with all sorts of emergencies, including medical ones. I am pretty sure they keep defibrillators on board. If anything happens, they put out a call to see if there are any doctors on board. There usually are, because doctors get everywhere ;)

I hate flying too. I've flown to that part of the world a few times, and always found that the flight seems to go quite quickly. Just try to distract yourself from thinking about it. Listen to music, watch films, read etc etc. Some airlines even provide computer games now :)

It might be worth letting the cabin crew know how you feel when you get on board. If they know someone is very nervous, they normally make a special effort to make sure you ok and come to reassure you.

Good luck and have a fab holiday! :)

groovygranny
20-04-07, 10:32
Hi Russ! Las Vegas - wow!! :shades::yesyes:!!

Know exactly how you feel. I'm a right blob when it comes to flying, but you've got to try not to let the fear of the fear have control over you.

I've just recently returned from a fantastic holiday in Egypt, but I didn't feel very fantastic before I went - as some will testify !!:ohmy:

I used Rescue Remedy spray for the very first time and found it very helpful (when I eventually got it in my mouth that is!) I also had an MP3 player and the earphones were welded to my ears for practically the whole trip.

Chanting the NMP Mantra - JFDI - also helped me to keep on top of the situation. And the support I got from all on here was invaluable.

You know, your mind can be your greatest weapon as well as your worst enemy sometimes.

But it's not always easy. There were two occasions when I just wanted to be anywhere but where I was, but the feeling of victory when you know you've not allowed the fear to get you is second to none!

Don't know if this has been helpful but you go and enjoy your trip.:D!

I'm looking forward to hearing all about it!!

Take care:hugs:

neptuno
20-04-07, 10:41
Hello Russ !
Wow ! lucky you - it will be a trip of a life time ! Transatlantic flights use jumbo-sized aircraft, so you won't be strapped in your seat the whole time. Plus, they show great films, music channels, serve meals and drinks ... and opportunity to sleep. There's so much going on you won't have time to be stressed. My tip for long-haul is to break the travelling time down into manageable "bites" (ie. couple of hours to watch a film, read a book, do a puzzle, listen to music, eat a meal, freshen up in the loo etc). Drink plenty of water so you don't dehydrate. But most important - start practising some muscle relaxation NOW and use it during the flight as one of your "bites". This will help with the chest muscle pains - it is not your heart and you won't have a heart attack. Kick back and relax.

This will be a fabulous time for all your family - so enjoy it all together !
Be kind to yourself.

russ
20-04-07, 11:08
Thanks for the comments all,

Do you feel something like Kalms prior to the flight would be a good idea?

As for "costo", it is Costochondritis, explained here...

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sprainsstrains/a/costochondritis.htm

Dying_Swan
20-04-07, 11:29
Aha....Got ya. I had that a few times and thought I had something terribly wrong. Thanks for that! xx

neptuno
20-04-07, 18:38
Hello Russ !
I find taking ARNICA homeopathic tabs help.
Worth a try ?

sammie
24-04-07, 09:33
hi russ

i made this journey 3 years ago i took some herbal tabs( forgot the name) but they worked for me . i suffer really badly with small spaces and being on a plane was scary . the plane was a big one room to move about i didnt feel closed in. it was a positive flight for me and something i am proud to have achieved. ggod luck
sammie

jo61
24-04-07, 09:55
I flew to the US for a family wedding two years ago, on my own, with a layover in Chicago for 4 hours. I was petrified for a fortnight before but once I got to Heathrow on the morning I was going there was no stopping me!!

domino
24-04-07, 10:03
hI RUSS, WELL I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL, HUBBY WANTS TO TAKE ME TO NEW ZEALAND FOR MY 50TH IN NOVEMBER, I LAST FLEW IN 2001 TO RHODES, TOOK DIAZAPAM WHICH WAS OK. BUT WENT TO A MEET UP ON SUNDAY AT TRENTHAM GARDENS,MET AND GOT CHATTING TO A FLIGHT ATTENDANT WHO HAS WORKED FOR B,A, LONG HAUL FOR 20 YRS, SHE REASSURED ME , I MAY JUST GIVE IN TO MY HUBBY AND BOOK THAT FLIGHT. IN THE MEANTIME TRY NOT TO WORRY, READ MY SIGNATURE AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST. HAVE A GREAT TIME AND LET US KNOW HOW IT WENT.:hugs:

bubbleblitt
26-04-07, 07:00
Hi Russ, I have a similar problem. On the run up to a flight I avoid caffeine, drink cammomile tea, use Rescue Remedy and listen to realaxation tpaes twice a day to get my breathing back to normal.It does help-if all this fails I take some Diazepam-once I'm on the plane I know I've cracked it! Good luck, Bubble

trish1955
26-04-07, 08:24
Hello Russ !
I find taking ARNICA homeopathic tabs help.
Worth a try ?what they pills for were do u get them fromthanks bye for now trish

russ
22-05-07, 22:16
Just to let you all know, on the first flight I was really worried, but by the third and fourth flight I was quite enjoying it.

All went well, once we had taken-off I just pretended I was on a coach, that seemed to help! :D