PDA

View Full Version : MRI scan and really scared

Kitten347
19-02-17, 13:43
Hi everyone!

This Friday I'll be having a brain and cervical spine MRI and I'm petrified.

Two years ago out of the blue I had vertigo. Dr at first though it was labyrinthitis but after seeing ENT consultant was told it was BPPV. Only test I had was hearing test although I'd mentioned headaches/neck pain. Had Epley manoeuvre and he discharged me before I could ask about maybe having a scan.

So now, two years later although no vertigo I'm dizzy most days sort of like being on a boat. Headaches, migraine and neck pain still. For my own piece of mind instead of waiting to be referred again with no guarantee I'll get a scan I decided to ask my Dr to refer me for a private MRI which she has done. Over here in the UK your Dr can refer you for an MRI but not CT!

App is this Friday at 6.30pm and I'm getting myself into a right old state. Letter says scan will take approx 30mins per area scanned. That's 1hr in the scanner! :ohmy: I've no idea if I'll manage this. I've listened on YouTube to the noises scanner makes. My main worry which I hope someone can help me with is that unless my head is raised a little I go really dizzy and panic. I know there isn't much room in the scanner and I'll have that head cage thingy on. Has anyone on here had a head scan and been able to have their head raised a little? Google can scare you to death as I've now read that the magnetic field in an MRI can affect the fluid in the inner ear and make you really dizzy. Help!!!!:weep:

Mochi
19-02-17, 20:04
Goodness! You will be okay! I have never had this kind of MRI, but have had abdominal MRIs to look at my pancreas twice and have spent an hour in the machine. I am so claustrophobic so I too was very worried! I am here writing to you so obviously I got through it :)

Here in the US you can be given a prescription sedative to help you get through an MRI, can you do that in the UK?

Also, the techs have all been SO NICE. My first MRI the lab tech gave me a mirror so I could see his face and talk to him. He said he could see me too. That helped a lot. They blew a fan into the machine both times so the air made me feel less trapped. I also had headphones on so I could listen to music the first time (second time I did not do this).

If you are going to google, google strategies for getting through an MRI, there are many!

Hang in there! You will be fine!

Mashy
19-02-17, 20:11
As per what Mochi said.

You can also get a sedative in the UK bt I think you need to get it off your GP.

I have to have tearly MRI's due to a pituary tumour and also hate MRI's. But Ive always told the technician and they play the radio and keep talking to me during the scan. I find it really helps. They also give you a button you can press if you feel you need to come out at any time.

ocdbaking
19-02-17, 20:16
Have had too many MRIs (vast majority for a back condition), and they aren't fun. However, the staff are great especially if you tell them that you are worried. I used to get through by trying to count how many different tones the machine made - sounds weird I know, but after the 8th (told you I've had a lot of scans!) scan, I used to get very bored!

I've had the brain version too, twice - the head cage thing was not as bad as I thought it would be.

Kitten347
19-02-17, 22:14
Thank you for your replies :smile: Goodness knows why I'm so worried about this. I think it's purely the fact that I get so dizzy if my head is lying flat. I will certainly ask them if it could be raised just a little. I can take a CD with me so that might help. Shut eyes tight I think.

I did think of asking my Dr to prescribe a sedative but I'll try and do it without. I really could have done without my friend ringing today who had an MRI scan of her shoulder, she lasted only for a minute before asking them to stop and didn't continue. She of course told me how awful it is - just what I needed to hear :ohmy:

Kitten347
25-02-17, 00:13
Just a little update.... I did it! I did decide to ask my Dr for something to take the edge of my anxiety. Only gave me 2 x 2mg diazapam but I think it helped.

They did try raising my head but only a little as it wasn't possible due to that cage thingy. Just a little piece of foam about 1" thick, it helped though. Two of the scans I found really difficult to deal with, everything seemed like it was moving and vibrating but no way was I going to give up. I was in for 40mins.

Thanks everyone!:)

Bigboyuk
25-02-17, 11:17
Just a little update.... I did it! I did decide to ask my Dr for something to take the edge of my anxiety. Only gave me 2 x 2mg diazapam but I think it helped.

They did try raising my head but only a little as it wasn't possible due to that cage thingy. Just a little piece of foam about 1" thick, it helped though. Two of the scans I found really difficult to deal with, everything seemed like it was moving and vibrating but no way was I going to give up. I was in for 40mins.

Thanks everyone!:) Well done kitten :yesyes: Yes think that low dose of diazepam would have taken the edge off things too :) And no you certainly didn't want to know this off your friend , she is probably a really nice person but was giving you negative feed back on that day :) Do let us know the results please and well done again! Cheers

Kitten347
25-02-17, 23:55
Thank you! :) To be fair I think my friend was thinking it was a CT scan I was having and not MRI.

I'll let you know the results. Can't say I'm too worried, not yet anyway!

Blonde123
07-04-17, 09:46
How did you get on??

Kitten347
07-04-17, 13:31
Hi

Thanks for asking. I posted my results after I'd got them, they are a little further down the page :)