PDA

View Full Version : Celexa to relieve pain?

GeorgeSteele
19-02-17, 18:08
I've been dealing with tremors for 18 months now and they diagnosed me with a functional movement disorder. Before I started the Celexa 10mg, I had severe neck pain. A week after I started the Celexa the pain went away. I stopped taking it 3 months ago, and now the pain is back and it's worse than ever. Btw the tremors didn't go away while taking Celexa which is why I stopped.

Can somebody tell me why an antidepressant would make my neck feel better? Tylenol, Advil none of that helps at all.

panic_down_under
19-02-17, 20:51
Can somebody tell me why an antidepressant would make my neck feel better?

Most of the antidepressants can ease nerve (neuropathic) pain, although as a rule the TCAs are more effective than SNRIs which are generally more effective than SSRIs. Some of the anticonvulsants, for example, pregabalin (Lyrica) do too.

GeorgeSteele
19-02-17, 22:56
So should I consult my doctor or just go back on the Celexa with the hope that the pain subsides. I have a script for 20mg but I'm afraid to take that high of a dose.

panic_down_under
19-02-17, 23:29
So should I consult my doctor or just go back on the Celexa with the hope that the pain subsides.

You should keep your doctor in the loop. S/he may be okay with you taking citalopram, or might prefer you took one of the usually more effective SNRIs, or TCAs.

I have a script for 20mg but I'm afraid to take that high of a dose.

In terms of the effect on your body there is little difference between taking 10mg and 20mg, but taking the higher dose may be better for your brain in the long term. It might also be more effective for the tremors.

GeorgeSteele
19-02-17, 23:42
Wow thanks, the first positive hope I have read in weeks.