PDA

View Full Version : Hangover or worse

Hypo27
19-02-17, 21:29
I drank around 8 beers last night and today my heart is racing and I'm short of breath. Also my arms feel detached from my body it feels like they don't belong to me. I'm really scared it's something serious should I go to the er?

---------- Post added at 21:29 ---------- Previous post was at 21:28 ----------

I'm also getting this weird burning pressure in my mid stomach and it feels like it takes the breath out of me..

GlassPinata
19-02-17, 21:31
Alcohol is not a friend to those of us who suffer anxiety.
You WILL pay for those few happy, anxiety-free hours, by feeling like **** the next day, unfortunately.
Yes, the following day, alcohol makes me: paranoid, headache-y, high blood pressure/ heart pounding feeling, flushed, anxious, fatigued, diarrhea, greasy/dirty-feeling, etc.
I have found that it is SO not worth it.

Best wishes.

AnxiousAbbie
19-02-17, 21:36
Yes, it's a hangover. I bet tomorrow you will feel better. Make sure you drink lots of water and eat well, and take it easy today

Fishmanpa
19-02-17, 22:21
You WILL pay for those few happy, anxiety-free hours, by feeling like **** the next day, unfortunately.
Yes, the following day, alcohol makes me: paranoid, headache-y, high blood pressure/ heart pounding feeling, flushed, anxious, fatigued, diarrhea, greasy/dirty-feeling, etc.

Best wishes.

Couldn't have said it better.

Positive thoughts

Hypo27
19-02-17, 22:30
What about the disconnected feeling though? Like my right arm and hand feel so weird. It's like a numb disconnected feeling.

Fishmanpa
19-02-17, 22:38
What about the disconnected feeling though? Like my right arm and hand feel so weird. It's like a numb disconnected feeling.

Best wishes.

Positive thoughts

PASchoolSyndrome
20-02-17, 04:17
Yep. GlassPinata nailed it.

MyNameIsTerry
20-02-17, 05:46

Best wishes.

It's not as simple as anxiety & alcohol don't mix. That fails to take into account all the anxiety sufferers who drink without issue. So, it's not a you "will" otherwise those of us on here would have experienced the same and not everyone struggles.

Remember, the only people who post are those who struggle. Caffeine is a example of this. Anxiety & caffeine don't mix either but those of us who drink tea multiple times a day aren't going to raise threads like "had a nice cup of tea, no issues with anxiety". Why would we?

The issue of alcohol is far more complicated in my mind. At my worst I couldn't tolerate caffeine, vitamin B, high protein meals, etc. I can do them all now. I drank alcohol at times with no issue rather than the usual hangover.

Anxiety sufferers, especially those on the HA board, are sensitised to their symptoms. A hang over goes from being a minor annoyance to a very bad day simply due to this just as any trigger distorts what should be a normal reaction for us. As you get better, you handle things better.

Another possibility is the Serotonin. We often hear how we are low in it hence the use of drugs to correct this. Well, alcohol causes Serotonin to spike. Maybe that means we are low the next day or two and until food has replenished it, our anxiety increases?

I think it's a much more complicated issue than many realise. I've seen people on here posting about alcohol affecting then badly when the week before they had been struggling terribly with their anxiety. And some of them dtank lots. Isn't it likely it would go wrong? I never drink at worse stages in my anxiety for this very reason as I believe chances of having such a reaction are much higher.

It's a question of many things. I think you have to be practical about it. And test the waters until you know if you have new limits.

But the OP certainly has nothing more than a hangover. For some, it's how GP says. Lesson learned. Look towards practical corrections going forward.