PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on how to get over a rough patch?

Clydesdale Epona
20-02-17, 00:59
I've been in a rough patch for just over two months now and I think its about time I try and get over it but I just don't know where to start,
I'm really struggling with life and my disorders at the moment so much so that its hard to find hope. this year has been far from kind to me with one decision/wave of bad news after the next and I'm starting to think its going to attack me personally soon(like damage my health or just kill me) I'm kind of stuck in the infinite loop of Depression, Anxiety, and OCD and its not fun. My depression says life is really sucking a d maybe I should just give up but my Anxiety reminds me we're terrified of dying and my OCD just says "if you think about it the universe will give you it" and "maybe life will be over soon for you and god will soon kill you"
Is there anything I can do to maybe restore something back if not get over this rough patch? any answers or comments are welcome and thanks if you read all the way through my ranty moment x

breathefree
20-02-17, 02:43
First off, I'm sorry you've been feeling this way - it sounds like things really suck for you right now, and I know how hard it can be when you're in the middle of a dark patch :hugs:

Secondly, as far as getting over it is concerned...well, I don't know. Different things work for different people. One thing that I've found useful is structure (which I got from an online article but can't post the link to, sorry). For me personally, setting small but (usually) achievable goals can often kick-start some upward progress, or at least keep me from backsliding. What I do is keep a To Do list of really basic stuff - getting up, brushing my teeth, making breakfast, etc. I check off the things I do and mark those I don't so that I can try again the next day. These seemingly small achievements often snowball into bigger ones because I start to think "well, I've already done x" or "I might as well just do that one more thing." It also has the bonus of keeping my mind occupied and creating a positive feedback loop that can sometimes kick me out of the whole "life is so damn pointless why do I bother" spiel.

Alternatively, you say you feel like the bad news/etc. that's been floating around is going to attack you personally soon. It might help to sit down and think (or talk) about what you're worried might happen in concrete and specific terms. Assess each fear objectively. How likely is it? What can you do to prevent it? Most of the time, the answers are "not very" and "not much." In which case, I usually find it useful to make a contingency plan (however implausible), and tell myself I'll revisit it within a set time period, then force myself to put it aside until then. Whenever it comes up, acknowledge it's there, but then tell yourself something like, "I've made a plan for that. I'm going to ____. I'll come back to this thought if it's still a problem in X days." If you're anything like me you'll have forgotten you were even worried by the time that day comes (possibly because you're worried about something totally different, but hey, that's anxiety for you :shrug:).

That being said, though, the big thing I would suggest is finding someone you can talk to - preferably a professional or helpline, but otherwise a friend or family member you trust - who can check in with you and help you come up with specific strategies for your situation. It sounds like you're going through some painful stuff and you deserve to have some support if you don't have it already :)

Clydesdale Epona
20-02-17, 10:26
Thank you very much this was really helpful :)

I have two more sessions of CBT left so I'll possibly see about mentioning it, I do talk to my family and coworkers about it a lot and helps sometimes, it kind of fluctuates between manageable and not thinking I'm cut out for the world.
I have to go to college in September and choose between courses I don't really wanna do which would probably be what's caused it, plus there's stuff with my dad and I can't help but think its the worlds way of getting at me, it would really help if I figured out the main cause and a way to help it which is what I'm currently trying to work on x

All the best :hugs:

beatroon
20-02-17, 15:18
I'm so sorry to hear about your rough patch! From one rough patcher to another: courage and strength!

I do think it would be good to get to the heart of some of what's bothering you and whilst CBT is great for problem-solving, sometimes you just need to unburden yourself to a professional. I also echo what the previous poster said about structure and small goals. This isn't a normal time so you shouldn't be trying to achieve every little thing you might do if you were feeling OK - just narrow the bandwidth and focus on one thing at a time: shower, meal, getting dressed, sitting down with a book for half an hour, phoning a friend. Above all, don't beat yourself up about it. As someone wise once said, anxiety disorder sufferers are the most optimistic people in the world - every day we hope it's going to be better than the previous one!! You are a flamin' ninja for dealing with the things you are dealing with in such a mature and positive fashion.

do pm me if I can help at all!

Clydesdale Epona
21-02-17, 21:30
Thank you both i really do appreciate it! :)

All the best :hugs:

Fishmanpa
21-02-17, 21:53
Just a question... how does your CBT therapist feel about you posting here for reassurance?

Positive thoughts

Clydesdale Epona
21-02-17, 22:30
She hasn't even really talked about it much but i know myself personally that's it not great and i do try my hardest not to these days x

Fishmanpa
21-02-17, 23:08
She hasn't even really talked about it much but i know myself personally that's it not great and i do try my hardest not to these days x

She hasn't talked about it or you haven't told her? The reason I ask is that any therapist worth their salt will highly discourage it as it's counter-productive to the therapy being effective.

Positive thoughts

Clydesdale Epona
21-02-17, 23:14
I have told her i can promise you that but she hasn't really mentioned much about it, maybe because i'm aware it's not healthy? i don't really know x

Fishmanpa
21-02-17, 23:51
i'm aware it's not healthy

Well at least you know :shrug:

Positive thoughts

Clydesdale Epona
21-02-17, 23:54
Seeing as we didn't have many sessions
she kind of wanted to focus on providing me with as many tools as she could x

Sunny Day know
22-02-17, 01:02
I'm in the very same boat as you...rough patch since Christmas Eve. Feeling totally unstable- somewhere between thinking I have every ailment under the sun, to occasional feelings of happiness, and then of course thinking I'm willing myself to be sick by constantly thinking about it. Honestly, I find it comforting to read other similar stories. I also try to hold myself accountable by talking about my crazy thoughts and laughing at them. Being able to laugh at it does help sometimes. This forum has really helped me through feeling helpless and unstable at times. Wish you well.

Also curious as to what everyone here likes to do to keep their mind busy? I find cleaning helps...but then I think about inhaling fumes...or I start coughing...vicious cycle 🙈

Clydesdale Epona
22-02-17, 01:20
I'm in the very same boat as you...rough patch since Christmas Eve. Feeling totally unstable- somewhere between thinking I have every ailment under the sun, to occasional feelings of happiness, and then of course thinking I'm willing myself to be sick by constantly thinking about it. Honestly, I find it comforting to read other similar stories. I also try to hold myself accountable by talking about my crazy thoughts and laughing at them. Being able to laugh at it does help sometimes. This forum has really helped me through feeling helpless and unstable at times. Wish you well.

Also curious as to what everyone here likes to do to keep their mind busy? I find cleaning helps...but then I think about inhaling fumes...or I start coughing...vicious cycle ��

I find my work to be a very good distraction and great at keeping my brain busy, but when I'm at home or have free time I often like doing creative things like editing, writing stories/rhymes, reading magazines, coloring in or doing jigsaws, and anything creative/stimulating really x

MOchp
23-02-17, 00:02
The way you described depression making you want to give up, but anxiety reminding you that you are afraid to die put into words how I feel a lot better than I have been able to. I definitely sympathize with you and send some positive vibes your way.