PDA

View Full Version : Why do i think i'm dying

sara8100
20-04-07, 10:09
Everynight when i go to bed i think i'm dying and have panic attacks. I think my heart is going to stop and i can hear it, either from a blood clot or a heamorage?? anything!! I just think i'm going to die that very night. Its scaring me so much. I'm on sertraline and tamazepam if needed. Its got to the stage where i sleep on stee with telly on for distraction, don't know how much my boyfriend can take let alone me. Tried hypnotherapy and different medication. Been happening now for 4 months. Doc thinks it has something to do with me watching my mum die, while she was awake and only 34 (breast cancer) I just want to be able to go to bed and cuddle up and go to sleep nicely, instead of being convinced its my final night?? It don't help having physical symptoms too making me feel worse !!! Please offer any advice!!

Daniel S
20-04-07, 10:39
Sorry to hear about your mum,
Don't knock the TV if it helps you get to sleep. Maybe getting a radio or an MP3 player would be a good idea.
Dan.

neptuno
20-04-07, 10:55
Hello Sara !
Having been thro such a tough time its no wonder you're feeling anxious and full of panic. What you are feeling are the normal reactions to stress which have gone into over-drive. You're dealing with a load of emotional stuff which is enough to make anyone panic. But you are not alone ! You have friends here who can support you because they understand what you're going through.

When I feel emeotionally overwhelmed I use EFT - and I find it very calming. You "tap" on acupuncture points (see www.emofree.com (http://www.emofree.com)) its easy to learn and helps you take control when panic comes. Sara, I think it would really help you so do try it.
Be kind to yourself

russ
20-04-07, 11:03
Sara, I hope it is of comfort to say I am like you, infact many people are.

I watched my father and nan die in the last 12 months, not everyone responds with anxiety, that is determined by a whole range of factors, but your reaction to death, like mine, is I'm sure quite common and has to be worked through.

It is to do with facing our own mortality. In effect, we are all powerless, we have to accept that. Life is a balance of things, mainly positive things, but negative things do happen, they also make experiences in life.

However, on the positive side if you are young and healthy you have to consider a positive thing is much more likely than a negative one.

take care,

Paddington
20-04-07, 11:09
Ah Sarah hun:hugs: what a sad thing for a young girl to witness[it's awaful at any age really ,but i was only 32 when i watched my Dad die and it started my anxiety too:weep: ]i find music helps me hun.I too lie there thinkin iam dying and i jump and gasp ,horrible:weep: but music soothes my soul,try it sweetness:flowers: Love Paddie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

traciec39
20-04-07, 12:17
sarah darling, you are no on your own hunni.
like you every night i feel that im going to have a heart attack and i also sleep on the sofa with the tv on!!
Somehow being alone makes you feel safer! I also lost my father suddenly last year he died in a&e and recentley my mum had a small stroke, thank god shes ok now.
I wish i could offer you advise sweetheart but sadly ive not found the cure and now my marriage is suffering.
Im convinced that i am going to die have a stroke ot heart attack, and when i try to sleep i feel like my body forgets to breathe, its horrible.
If anyone has any advise please help.
take care sarah
tracie xxxx

rb1978
20-04-07, 20:25
Hi Sara, I'm sorry to hear about your Mum. It seems there's quite a few people on here who can trace their health anxiety back to losing someone close. I myself lost my Mum 5 years ago and then my Dad died suddenly 3 years ago. Before that I never gave my health a second thought. When you lose someone though, death suddenly becomes a real thing that's in your life and suddenly you become aware of your own mortality. I don't know what the cure is but I do find music helps settle me at night...something to concentrate on. Also coming on here and being able to write how you feel and find that other people feel the same is something I've found a big comfort.