PDA

View Full Version : Lung.

zippy
20-02-17, 12:56
I am sick of myself worrying that i have lung c. I have had a left back ache for 4-5 months that's now radiating into my left arm and shoulder blade area. I have had bloods done and oxygen levels checked and lungs listened too and all ok. But the last few weeks i have been very chesty and bringing green phlegm up all day. I was at the drs on friday and he said my chest sounded clear and the back pain sounded like muscular. How can my chest sound clear when i am chesty etc?

Sixpack
20-02-17, 13:13
Probably cough is in throat, not lungs. We all get those productive type coughs that are not really coming from lungs.

I have no doubt you are worrying for no reason.

Kay8010
20-02-17, 13:15
YUP - my oxygen level seems to be going down since yesterday from 98 to 95 now....

Back at the GP tonight and DEMANDING an x-ray - its my health and I feel the pain in my back now more so than ever! - go back to the GP and demand a shoulder xray or chest xray as if you dont - they WONT! - its very easy for them to say 'oh its muscular' remember they are very intelligent and studied many years HOWEVER persistence in a symptom is clearly something 'not quite alright' this is just the way I feel - I KNOW people will disagree with me on this on here too!

also, seems the tickle in my throat that cause the panic for a few weeks has now also returned so two symptoms I have are pointing towards what I fear.....hence why I am demanding an x-ray and bloods!

Catherine S
20-02-17, 13:48
Kay, if you read Zippy's OP you'll see that she has already had oxygen levels and bloods tested, as well as having her lungs listened to and all were clear. Doctors refer people for xrays every day and the most common xrays are chest xrays, so wouldn't it be fair to say they know who needs one and who doesn't? But yes, if zippy thinks it's best to demand an xray then she should, it would stop all the worry and uncertainty. But then, would a clear xray result be believed?

ISB x

Kay8010
20-02-17, 13:54
Kay, if you rea zippy's OP, she has had oxygen levels and blood test done and these were clear, as well as having her lungs listened to. Doctors refer people for x-rays every day so they obviously know who needs to have one and who doesn't. But yes, if zippy thinks an x-ray is best for her because something serious may have been missed then she should go for it. It's better than asking here if we think she has lung cancer.

ISB x

Yes I know lol, I was talking about myself for which the GP has done my OB's too but I am not satisfied that it is just 'muscular'

Gary A
20-02-17, 14:05
Yes I know lol, I was talking about myself for which the GP has done my OB's too but I am not satisfied that it is just 'muscular'

That's up to you I guess, but I don't think it's right to reply to a person who is in the throes of anxiety and tell them that having persistent symptoms is "not quite right."

A lot of very benign things cause constantly persistent symptoms. Things like muscle strains are notoriously hard to treat, some people require years of painkilling medication and physiotherapy for things like that.

Doctors deal with these things every day, it's one of the most common complaints they come across. Persistent symptoms can be a sign of something serious, but it's far far more common for them to be awkward to treat conditions, like muscle strains, than it is to be some kind of horrible illness.

Kay8010
20-02-17, 14:09
That's up to you I guess, but I don't think it's right to reply to a person who is in the throes of anxiety and tell them that having persistent symptoms is "not quite right."

A lot of very benign things cause constantly persistent symptoms. Things like muscle strains are notoriously hard to treat, some people require years of painkilling medication and physiotherapy for things like that.

Doctors deal with these things every day, it's one of the most common complaints they come across. Persistent symptoms can be a sign of something serious, but it's far far more common for them to be awkward to treat conditions, like muscle strains, than it is to be some kind of horrible illness.

Errr that is not quite what I was suggesting to be fair .......have you read my posts on the same issues I am facing as Zippy?.....we have been messaging each other privately too just as an FYI.......

Gary A
20-02-17, 14:12
Errr that is not quite what I was suggesting to be fair .......have you read my posts on the same issues I am facing as Zippy?.....we have been messaging each other privately too just as an FYI.......

So what are you suggesting, exactly?

You said having persistent symptoms is not quite right and also told the OP to "demand" an X-ray.

I think that's both innacurate and very alarmist.

Kay8010
20-02-17, 14:16
So what are you suggesting, exactly?

You said having persistent symptoms is not quite right and also told the OP to "demand" an X-ray.

I think that's both innacurate and very alarmist.

What is your aggressive tone all about Gary A.............I am not on here to argue with anyone or you....please leave me alone, I have enough going on without you coming in on the side with your tone...........

Cheers

Gary A
20-02-17, 14:19
What is your aggressive tone all about Gary A.............I am not on here to argue with anyone or you....please leave me alone, I have enough going on without you coming in on the side with your tone...........

Cheers

:shrug:

I have no desire to argue with you, I do however feel entitled to disagree with your opinion if I see fit. I don't see what's aggressive about pointing out something that I find to be innacurate and potentially alarming.

rainbow
20-02-17, 15:40
Sometimes I wonder why some people are on this forum! If you don't have or understand health anxiety I'm not sure if you can really help people that are struggling. Nobody would choose to feel the way HA makes you feel. I know I hate living like this, it's a problem in the brain. I know lots of people so overcome HA, as I have done in the past but not everyone is able to do that.

Because I've been through it I won't judge others.

Kay8010
20-02-17, 15:44
Sometimes I wonder why some people are on this forum! If you don't have or understand health anxiety I'm not sure if you can really help people that are struggling. Nobody would choose to feel the way HA makes you feel. I know I hate living like this, it's a problem in the brain. I know lots of people so overcome HA, as I have done in the past but not everyone is able to do that.

Thanks

Gary A
20-02-17, 16:12

The OP is clearly in a state of high anxiety yet you have someone who is throwing petrol at it by insinuating that every time there's a persistent symptom it's "not quite right." Not only that, but advising the OP to demand tests that their own doctor has clearly advised against. Is that honestly good advice to someone who is struggling with anxiety?

I feel I corrected something that was innacurate and did so in a reasonable manner. I didn't insult anyone, judge anyone or aim any type of abuse. I did so because I don't want the OP to become more concerned.

You both seem quite happy to put your thoughts and opinions out there, but totally incapable of taking on board an opinion that respectfully disagrees with yours without being all offended.

By the way, insinuating that you need to have anxiety to be here is very exclusive and far far more judgemental than anything I said, so perhaps you should come off the pedestal just a little bit.

Kay8010
20-02-17, 16:27
The OP is clearly in a state of high anxiety yet you have someone who is throwing petrol at it by insinuating that every time there's a persistent symptom it's "not quite right." Not only that, but advising the OP to demand tests that their own doctor has clearly advised against. Is that honestly good advice to someone who is struggling with anxiety?

I feel I corrected something that was innacurate and did so in a reasonable manner. I didn't insult anyone, judge anyone or aim any type of abuse. I did so because I don't want the OP to become more concerned.

You both seem quite happy to put your thoughts and opinions out there, but totally incapable of taking on board an opinion that respectfully disagrees with yours without being all offended.

By the way, insinuating that you need to have anxiety to be here is very exclusive and far far more judgemental than anything I said, so perhaps you should come off the pedestal just a little bit.

We are ALL on here for a reason, my thoughts that I have put down on a message was probably not the 'right' thing to do HOWEVER you have a aggressive tone (to me anyway) - 'you both', well yes of course we 'both' suffer from Health Anxiety, panic sets in and you vent on a message (maybe not the best thing to do) without realizing someone else with the same anxiety as you is reading it (that I accept and clarified above) anyway why I am justifying myself to you is not in my 'remit', I guess what I am trying to say is that for me, your tone is, once again aggressive and you yourself being slightly judgmental, I would like to leave it at that and this post if I may - myself and OP will still contact in private where the message will be clearly understood.

Thank you :)

rainbow
20-02-17, 16:54

The last place I am is on a pedestal! HA makes you do and say things that you normally wouldn't. I hate the person I've been for the last 6 months.

I just felt that reprimanding Kay so openly on the forum was uncalled for. Maybe her choice of words weren't ideal but she has been going through a particularly bad spell of anxiety and was just trying to get her point across.

I have no problem at all with other people's opinions, it's the way they are said that I have issue with.

My point about people who don't have or understand health anxiety being on here is that if you have no understanding of it at all, how can you advise?

Kay8010
20-02-17, 17:00
The last place I am is on a pedestal! HA makes you do and say things that you normally wouldn't. I hate the person I've been for the last 6 months.

I just felt that reprimanding Kay so openly on the forum was uncalled for. Maybe her choice of words weren't ideal but she has been going through a particularly bad spell of anxiety and was just trying to get her point across.

I have no problem at all with other people's opinions, it's the way they are said that I have issue with.

My point about people who don't have or understand health anxiety being on here is that if you have no understanding of it at all, how can you advise?

I totally agree, not on, the last thing you are is being on a pedestal!

No opinion is not welcomed, its purely the tone used.

Anyway.....more pressing matters to concentrate on for me :)

Gary A
20-02-17, 17:02

How do you know I don't understand it? How do you know what my experience of HA is? You don't, so who's really being judgemental?

I'm not privy to any issues that Kay is suffering, but I don't know what that has to do with my response to her. I also have no idea what it is that I said that's supposed to aggressive or coming across as reprimanding.

I saw an innacurate post that could set a lot of people off worrying and I felt it would be risky not to address it.

If you could please point out what I said that was arrogant or aggressive please do so.

Kay8010
20-02-17, 17:04
How do you know I don't understand it? How do you know what my experience of HA is? You don't, so who's really being judgemental?

I'm not privy to any issues that Kay is suffering, but I don't know what that has to do with my response to her. I also have no idea what it is that I said that's supposed to aggressive or coming across as reprimanding.

I saw an innacurate post that could set a lot of people off worrying and I felt it would be risky not to address it.

If you could please point out what I said that was arrogant or aggressive please do so.

Gary A just give it a rest, read the posts prior to your response & think about what you are saying........ you are casting your opinion on my comment which is fine (like we both have said) no problem, I have even tried to justify my post (which I really did not need to), you could have addressed it slightly different, again tone.......maybe in the future you can work on 'addressing your posts'.

rainbow
20-02-17, 17:10
Did I call you arrogant or abusive?

Of course I don't know what you're experience of health anxiety is but I have seen a lot of your responses on this forum and you do come across as argumentative, just an observation from my point of view.

I just felt that pulling Kay up about her choice of words came across as a reprimand.

Gary A
20-02-17, 17:13
Did I call you arrogant or abusive?

Of course I don't know what you're experience of health anxiety is but I have seen a lot of your responses on this forum and you do come across as argumentative, just an observation from my point of view.

I just felt that pulling Kay up about her choice of words came across as a reprimand.

My apologies, having read back, no you didn't say I was arrogant or abusive.

I accept I'm argumentative but I also believe I'm mostly this way with people who need it. I honestly wasn't trying to pick any fights or whatever, I just didn't want the OP to read Kay's response and start panicking.

Kay herself has said that it probably wasn't the right thing to do, and if you read my response to her, that's all I said, that it "wasn't right." Other than that I basically gave examples of how benign things can cause persistent symptoms.

Fishmanpa
20-02-17, 17:14
Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

I lost a dear friend to lung cancer last year. There was no mistaking it. In 4-5 months you would be very ill.

Positive thoughts

rainbow
20-02-17, 17:19
You're argumentative with people who need it? Why would anyone need an argument on here? We're all going through our own personal hell and come here for support/ reassurance or kind words, arguing shouldn't come in to it. But fair enough, I get your point.

---------- Post added at 17:19 ---------- Previous post was at 17:18 ----------

Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

I lost a dear friend to lung cancer last year. There was no mistaking it. In 4-5 months you would be very ill.

Positive thoughts

Sorry about your friend.

Kay8010
20-02-17, 17:22
My apologies, having read back, no you didn't say I was arrogant or abusive.

I accept I'm argumentative but I also believe I'm mostly this way with people who need it. I honestly wasn't trying to pick any fights or whatever, I just didn't want the OP to read Kay's response and start panicking.

Kay herself has said that it probably wasn't the right thing to do, and if you read my response to her, that's all I said, that it "wasn't right." Other than that I basically gave examples of how benign things can cause persistent symptoms.

Please also do not give a diagnosis to people asking if they have a disease, that is not the way to do things either if we really want to get down to it......

Enough said.

pulisa
20-02-17, 17:22
This is an example of how discussions and comparisons of symptoms/ perceived need for tests can be unhelpful re HA.

I'm prepared to be shot down in flames for this comment but I am able to manage my HA now so feel able to make this point.

Sometimes being direct is the only way although some people will always go on the defensive when their comfort zone is threatened.

Kay8010
20-02-17, 17:23
This is an example of how discussions and comparisons of symptoms/ perceived need for tests can be unhelpful re HA.

I'm prepared to be shot down in flames for this comment but I am able to manage my HA now so feel able to make this point.

Sometimes being direct is the only way although some people will always go on the defensive when their comfort zone is threatened.

There is a difference with being direct and being argumentative and/or aggressive! You have been direct with me and its acceptable reading it back but there is a difference in the tone used previously with this thread between myself and Gary A

Catherine S
20-02-17, 17:30
Being direct comes at the point when the comment is made. An argument happens when the comment is taken badly, and as far as i'm aware an argument always involves two or more people, not just one person.

ISB ☺

Gary A
20-02-17, 17:38
Please also do not give a diagnosis to people asking if they have a disease, that is not the way to do things either if we really want to get down to it......

Enough said.

When do I do that? I might say something like "it sounds like X,Y or Z" but I'll always advise people see their doctor if they haven't already.

You're now starting to give a good impression of a spoilt child that has well and truly spat the dummy.

Enough said indeed.

Fishmanpa
20-02-17, 17:40
These are words on a screen. One cannot relay tone as in the way we would with spoken word. Also, "tone" can be influenced by the reader's mood and/or state of mind. What would be aggressive to one person may not be to another.

That being said... shit happens :shrug:

Positive thoughts

Gary A
20-02-17, 17:42
You're argumentative with people who need it? Why would anyone need an argument on here? We're all going through our own personal hell and come here for support/ reassurance or kind words, arguing shouldn't come in to it. But fair enough, I get your point.

---------- Post added at 17:19 ---------- Previous post was at 17:18 ----------

Sorry about your friend.

Just out of curiosity, do you say the same thing to people who come here and argue with people who are trying to reassure them?

I've witnessed a lot of that but I don't quite recall you chastising anyone for it.

Kay8010
20-02-17, 17:44
When do I do that? I might say something like "it sounds like X,Y or Z" but I'll always advise people see their doctor if they haven't already.

You're now starting to give a good impression of a spoilt child that has well and truly spat the dummy.

Enough said indeed.

Oh dear Gary A - give it a rest, personally I think you have been 'put in your place' and you do not like it.....

Evening all :)

Gary A
20-02-17, 17:49
Oh dear Gary A - give it a rest, personally I think you have been 'put in your place' and you do not like it.....

Evening all :)

Personally I think you've got a totally delusional grasp of your ability to "put people in their place", but hey ho.

'Sup homies.

:roflmao:

Capercrohnj
20-02-17, 17:52

Is this really a good idea? You are both spiralling and feeding off each other. You should be chatting with someone who is trying to help you with your HA.

rainbow
20-02-17, 18:04
Just out of curiosity, do you say the same thing to people who come here and argue with people who are trying to reassure them?

I've witnessed a lot of that but I don't quite recall you chastising anyone for it.

I'm not aware of any arguments of that kind tbh. I'm certainly not here for an argument and don't normally get involved in any online debates but I just felt that you were being a little unfair on Kay so I expressed my thoughts on the matter.

Some people really like the drama, I don't! I'm too busy trying to keep my life together.

I've spoken to Kay over the last few months and I just felt the need to speak up for her.

pulisa
20-02-17, 18:07
---------- Post added at 18:07 ---------- Previous post was at 18:05 ----------

Is this really a good idea? You are both spiralling and feeding off each other. You should be chatting with someone who is trying to help you with your HA.

Absolutely. Just the ammunition HA needs to continue and prosper but there's no point continuing to point this out if the posters enjoy discussing their symptoms with each other.

Gary A
20-02-17, 18:11
I'm not aware of any arguments of that kind tbh. I'm certainly not here for an argument and don't normally get involved in any online debates but I just felt that you were being a little unfair on Kay so I expressed my thoughts on the matter.

Some people really like the drama, I don't! I'm too busy trying to keep my life together.

I've spoken to Kay over the last few months and I just felt the need to speak up for her.

Again, I wasn't looking for a fight and nor was I trying to offend. Kay seems to be struggling with the same worries so is it honestly a bad thing to remind both her and the OP that persistent symptoms are more often than not caused by completely harmless things?

Read my response to her. The worst I said was that her post "wasn't right." So what, for goodness sake? I've been corrected and challenged more than most on here, I honestly have no idea why there's a need to be so utterly sensitive.

She's going through a rough time, fine, I get that, but that doesn't mean she's above being corrected or having an opinion challenged, surely?

I'm not here to fight, but I do think my place here is to be someone who directly tells people what I'm thinking rather than saying it via the safety of PM's or whatever.

rainbow
20-02-17, 18:32
Again, I wasn't looking for a fight and nor was I trying to offend. Kay seems to be struggling with the same worries so is it honestly a bad thing to remind both her and the OP that persistent symptoms are more often than not caused by completely harmless things?

Read my response to her. The worst I said was that her post "wasn't right." So what, for goodness sake? I've been corrected and challenged more than most on here, I honestly have no idea why there's a need to be so utterly sensitive.

She's going through a rough time, fine, I get that, but that doesn't mean she's above being corrected or having an opinion challenged, surely?

I'm not here to fight, but I do think my place here is to be someone who directly tells people what I'm thinking rather than saying it via the safety of PM's or whatever.

Do you not ask yourself why you are being challenged the most? Why do you think "it's your place" to directly tell people what you're thinking?

I just believe in being considerate of people's feelings, it's just my way.

Gary A
20-02-17, 18:38
Do you not ask yourself why you are being challenged the most? Why do you think "it's your place" to directly tell people what you're thinking?

Me too, which is why I considered the feelings of the OP and addressed the innacurate and alarmist post put forth by Kay.

I'm fully aware of why I'm being challenged, because I voice my opinion. I'm one who accepts that when you give opinions you should take it back. I wish I could say the same for everyone else here.

It's not my place, it's just my way to be direct. Pardon me for being honest.

rainbow
20-02-17, 18:56
Me too, which is why I considered the feelings of the OP and addressed the innacurate and alarmist post put forth by Kay.

I'm fully aware of why I'm being challenged, because I voice my opinion. I'm one who accepts that when you give opinions you should take it back. I wish I could say the same for everyone else here.

It's not my place, it's just my way to be direct. Pardon me for being honest.

Honesty is fine, I have no problem with that. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but we should all be mindful that our words can impact on people in different ways.

Can we just agree to disagree please?

pulisa
20-02-17, 19:29

I think that Gary's post is helpful and informative. I can't see where the "aggressive" tone is?

Kay8010
20-02-17, 19:38
Personally I think you've got a totally delusional grasp of your ability to "put people in their place", but hey ho.

'Sup homies.

:roflmao:

Dont get personal.......

---------- Post added at 19:38 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------

Dont fuel his challenges, he seems to enjoy confrontation

yawn.....

PASchoolSyndrome
20-02-17, 19:42
As a third party outsider to this argument, Kay you are adding fuel to the fire so it's best just to drop everything.

Capercrohnj
20-02-17, 19:42
You have to be honest with yourself Kay. If you want to improve your anxiety you have to try to stop playing into it. Messaging someone who has the same anxiety is reinforcing it and causing it to get worse as you seem to be comparing notes and feeding off each other. I'm worried you will never get out of the anxiety cycle if you don't step back and realize how this is hurting you more than helping you.

Kay8010
20-02-17, 19:56
Shocking

Cheerio!

pulisa
20-02-17, 20:01
It's a shame you feel the need to log off, Kay, because people are trying to help you see what you are doing to yourself and it's not shocking at all.

Why not consider this advice even though it's not on your own terms?

Gary A
20-02-17, 20:07
Another one who seems happy to have HA and god forbid anyone should show you the error of your ways.

A cry baby, nothing more.

Capercrohnj
20-02-17, 20:09
Speaking to someone with the same issues perpetuates them unless they are actively challenging your thinking which I have not seen here at all. Telling someone to get more and more unnecessary tests is not helping at all. Telling someone that they should reflect on what the doctors have told you is more helpful but you are in it way too deep to see it unfortunately.

Elen
20-02-17, 20:23
I totally agree that comparing symptoms and sympathising over the failure of doctors to diagnose something nasty is not conducive to getting over HA.

As has already been said, and I believe the doctors have also said, a lot of these pains are probably related to muscle issues.

Why is this answer not acceptable?

Why when nothing has been done to fix the issue is it automatically assumed that something isn't right?

zippy
20-02-17, 20:28
I don't automatically think something isn't right, the back/shoulder ache has gone on 4-5 months now. It seems to be getting worse and now is radiating into the top of my arm. The answer isn't acceptable because that's the nature of health anxiety we always think the worst.

Gary A
20-02-17, 20:32
I don't automatically think something isn't right, the back/shoulder ache has gone on 4-5 months now. It seems to be getting worse and now is radiating into the top of my arm. The answer isn't acceptable because that's the nature of health anxiety we always think the worst.

Yes, it is, but that doesn't mean that you can't challenge it. It doesn't mean that people can't at least attempt to show you the error in your thinking patterns in order for you to try and address them.

pulisa
20-02-17, 20:41

What type of answer would be acceptable to you, zippy?

Kay8010
20-02-17, 20:45
Im sorry since when is this now all about me. Everyone is getting so involved here. Stop having a go PLEASE.

Let it be and provide advice to the OP

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:43 ----------

Another one who seems happy to have HA and god forbid anyone should show you the error of your ways.

Grow the hell up!! Is this really acceptable on here for someone to curse other followers?? Your comment is nasty and I dont like it! I wont comment on this thread anymore. Im really sorry its not good for anyone. Take care all :)

Gary A
20-02-17, 20:52
You made it all about you when you wrote your response to the OP.

You know, the response that was all about you.

Thanks, but I'll take my "grow up" advice from people who don't throw tantrums just because someone disagreed with their opinion, if it's all the same to you.

Kay8010
20-02-17, 20:56
You made it all about you when you wrote your response to the OP.

You know, the response that was all about you.

Thanks, but I'll take my "grow up" advice from people who don't throw tantrums just because someone disagreed with their opinion, if it's all the same to you.

I cant deal with you, you are one nasty piece of work. Sorry but you are!!

Im done with this post. Cant believe people are allowed to post such cruel words to others. Disappointed!!!

Please leave me alon Gary A you have said more than enough

Gary A
20-02-17, 21:00
Your comment is nasty and I dont like it!

Seems like you've been put in your place by a few people here now.

And you don't like it.

---------- Post added at 21:00 ---------- Previous post was at 20:57 ----------

I cant deal with you, you are one nasty piece of work. Sorry but you are!!

Im done with this post. Cant believe people are allowed to post such cruel words to others. Disappointed!!!

Please leave me alon Gary A you have said more than enough

Anyone reading this will see who the nasty one is, believe me. You've come across as a right spoilt little madam just because I dared to tell you that your post was wrong.

Now more people have agreed with me and you can't handle it, so you're pleading with admin now in some bizarre attempt at playing the victim.

Good effort, but people aren't buying it.

Kay8010
20-02-17, 21:04
Seems like you've been put in your place by a few people here now.

And you don't like it.

---------- Post added at 21:00 ---------- Previous post was at 20:57 ----------

Anyone reading this will see who the nasty one is, believe me. You've come across as a right spoilt little madam just because I dared to tell you that your post was wrong.

Now more people have agreed with me and you can't handle it, so you're pleading with admin now in some bizarre attempt at playing the victim.

Good effort, but people aren't buying it.

I dont care who has agreed with you or not im not bothered. Just leave me alone please, you are just nasty. Now go away

Gary A
20-02-17, 21:07
I dont care who has agreed with you or not im not bothered. Just leave me alone please, you are just nasty. Now go away

Am I bovvered? Face, bovvered. :roflmao:

Bigboyuk
20-02-17, 21:43
OMG Phew just read the last 4/5 pages and I am gob smacked and saddend by some of the comments. thank goodness Iam not suffering from HA and Iam positively making big improvements in my conditions and feel great. Guys all this arguing is not good atall so please think of the OP in all this. To kay and Zippy if you both feel you need X-Rays by all means ask politely your Dr's once the tests come back fine are you actually going to REALLY try and move on from this??? Even one of the mods said something along these lines accept the dr's knowledge and start to get better for every HA members sakes and for you both too :) Cheers

rainbow
20-02-17, 23:41

Do you honestly think anyone would be happy to have HA? Really? That comment leads me to believe that you have never suffered from HA yourself!

Tbh, I think your enjoying this too much. What help and advice are you giving out here with all these comments. Really no need for it at all.

Gary A
20-02-17, 23:57
Do you honestly think anyone would be happy to have HA? Really? That comment leads me to believe that you have never suffered from HA yourself!

Tbh, I think your enjoying this too much. What help and advice are you giving out here with all these comments. Really no need for it at all.

You seem to need everyone here to be an HA sufferer before they're allowed to comment. Seriously, what's up with that?

I attempted to give a bit of reasonable advice but you and the morbidly offended one decided that it was somehow insulting and made far more of an issue of it than it should ever have been.

You can keep blaming me all you want, but this whole argument happened because you and your mate are ridiculously over sensitive to the point that it's actually cringeworthy.

---------- Post added at 23:57 ---------- Previous post was at 23:55 ----------

Any time you want to point out the aggression in that reply, feel free.

rainbow
21-02-17, 00:45
You seem to need everyone here to be an HA sufferer before they're allowed to comment. Seriously, what's up with that?

I attempted to give a bit of reasonable advice but you and the morbidly offended one decided that it was somehow insulting and made far more of an issue of it than it should ever have been.

You can keep blaming me all you want, but this whole argument happened because you and your mate are ridiculously over sensitive to the point that it's actually cringeworthy.

---------- Post added at 23:57 ---------- Previous post was at 23:55 ----------

Any time you want to point out the aggression in that reply, feel free.

I haven't accused you of being aggressive, I've already stated that!

I don't "need" anyone to be a HA sufferer before they comment but it certainly helps to have a little understanding about what someone is going through, you don't appear to have that.

Maybe I am I oversensitive but living with extreme anxiety and depression for 6 months can do that to a person. Cringeworthy? The only thing cringeworthy that I've seen is a grown man calling a woman a cry baby!

Bigboyuk
21-02-17, 00:57
This is getting tedious now shouldn't we all try and help Zippy and Kay instead of this? Cheers

Gary A
21-02-17, 01:17
I haven't accused you of being aggressive, I've already stated that!

I don't "need" anyone to be a HA sufferer before they comment but it certainly helps to have a little understanding about what someone is going through, you don't appear to have that.

Maybe I am I oversensitive but living with extreme anxiety and depression for 6 months can do that to a person. Cringeworthy? The only thing cringeworthy that I've seen is a grown man calling a woman a cry baby!

So what is it about that reply that you felt the need to "speak up" about? My tone? I mean, seriously? How can you have a "tone" when everything is written and not delivered verbally?

I have an understanding of HA, as in I understand what triggers is, what it can do to people and how to go about ridding it. I never realised that having HA gave you free reign to insinuate that any type of prolonged symptom must surely be a bad thing.

I never realised that a perfectly reasonable reminder that, in fact, these things are almost always signs of utterly benign things, could be taken in such a way as to be accused of having an "aggressive tone", and of being "judgemental."

Please tell me this, would you much prefer that the reply to the OP was left uncorrected? Telling a clearly anxious person that their symptoms "aren't quite right" despite a medical professional saying otherwise. Telling an anxious person to "demand" an X-ray, all the while berating doctors and downplaying their expertise. That's ok is it?

That's "understanding" anxiety, yes? You said it, right? Having HA means you understand anxiety, yet here we have someone who suffers from HA going all out to actually make someone more anxious.

Yeah, but let's all jump on the guy who merely points that out and tries to put a bit of perspective on things. Unbelievable.

Have a look back over this thread and see the types of replies I've had from you both. They're judgemental and aggressive from the get go, and it has clearly stemmed from my original reply. Neither of you have clarified what the actual problem is. My "tone" might look off, but as I said, these are written words that don't always come across as intended.

rainbow
21-02-17, 07:21
So what is it about that reply that you felt the need to "speak up" about? My tone? I mean, seriously? How can you have a "tone" when everything is written and not delivered verbally?

I have an understanding of HA, as in I understand what triggers is, what it can do to people and how to go about ridding it. I never realised that having HA gave you free reign to insinuate that any type of prolonged symptom must surely be a bad thing.

I never realised that a perfectly reasonable reminder that, in fact, these things are almost always signs of utterly benign things, could be taken in such a way as to be accused of having an "aggressive tone", and of being "judgemental."

Please tell me this, would you much prefer that the reply to the OP was left uncorrected? Telling a clearly anxious person that their symptoms "aren't quite right" despite a medical professional saying otherwise. Telling an anxious person to "demand" an X-ray, all the while berating doctors and downplaying their expertise. That's ok is it?

That's "understanding" anxiety, yes? You said it, right? Having HA means you understand anxiety, yet here we have someone who suffers from HA going all out to actually make someone more anxious.

Yeah, but let's all jump on the guy who merely points that out and tries to put a bit of perspective on things. Unbelievable.

Have a look back over this thread and see the types of replies I've had from you both. They're judgemental and aggressive from the get go, and it has clearly stemmed from my original reply. Neither of you have clarified what the actual problem is. My "tone" might look off, but as I said, these are written words that don't always come across as intended.

Ok....I didn't mention your "tone"! It wasn't me that said any type of prolonged sympton was a bad thing. Having HA doesn't give me free reign over anything, it does give me good insight of what other people are suffering.

Sadly, doctors cam make mistakes a d people with HA will latch onto that fact unfortunately. I don't think for a minute tha Kay was"going all out" to make someone more anxious. I think her anxiety was speaking.

I have been neither aggressive or judgemantal in my replies to you, I have been honest. I've called anyone names or taken the piss out of them, can you say the same.

I felt that your initial post was rather harsh albeit with the right intentions. Maybe a little more tact would have been better? Personally I think you are overreacting to this.

Gary A
21-02-17, 08:56
Ok....I didn't mention your "tone"! It wasn't me that said any type of prolonged sympton was a bad thing. Having HA doesn't give me free reign over anything, it does give me good insight of what other people are suffering.

Sadly, doctors cam make mistakes a d people with HA will latch onto that fact unfortunately. I don't think for a minute tha Kay was"going all out" to make someone more anxious. I think her anxiety was speaking.

I have been neither aggressive or judgemantal in my replies to you, I have been honest. I've called anyone names or taken the piss out of them, can you say the same.

I felt that your initial post was rather harsh albeit with the right intentions. Maybe a little more tact would have been better? Personally I think you are overreacting to this.

Drivel.

If you think my initial post was harsh then give me an example of what was harsh about it.

You and Kay keep repeating nonsense like my "tone" and my "tact" yet either of you have yet to actually give me an example of what exactly it is that was said in that reply that was any of these things.

In your initial reply to me you basically told me I didn't belong here and that I had no understanding of anxiety. There's two examples right there of you being judgemental, and that's only in your first reply to me.

Kay's "anxiety was talking", so whatever she says is just dandy, and anyone who even remotely tells her that her post isn't quite true will be jumped on. I've never heard such utter garbage in my life.

I have called names and took the piss because that's all this rubbish deserves. It's frankly a joke.

Kay8010
21-02-17, 09:01
Drivel.

If you think my initial post was harsh then give me an example of what was harsh about it.

You and Kay keep repeating nonsense like my "tone" and my "tact" yet either of you have yet to actually give me an example of what exactly it is that was said in that reply that was any of these things.

In your initial reply to me you basically told me I didn't belong here and that I had no understanding of anxiety. There's two examples right there of you being judgemental, and that's only in your first reply to me.

Kay's "anxiety was talking", so whatever she says is just dandy, and anyone who even remotely tells her that her post isn't quite true will be jumped on. I've never heard such utter garbage in my life.

I have called names and took the piss because that's all this rubbish deserves. It's frankly a joke.

Right I have just about had enough of you!!! I have TOLD YOU repeatedly to leave me the hell ALONE!!! I have done nothing to you and yet you still involving me in a topic that has quite frankly 'had its day' - LEAVE ME ALONE PLEASE - Geez get something better to do that your constant jibbing over a topic that has now become anything other than advice..........I am asking you one more time to leave me alone and leave me out of this....if you want an argument please seek it elsewhere! You will respond to this but I WILL NOT! Go away......

Gary A
21-02-17, 09:20
Right I have just about had enough of you!!! I have TOLD YOU repeatedly to leave me the hell ALONE!!! I have done nothing to you and yet you still involving me in a topic that has quite frankly 'had its day' - LEAVE ME ALONE PLEASE - Geez get something better to do that your constant jibbing over a topic that has now become anything other than advice..........I am asking you one more time to leave me alone and leave me out of this....if you want an argument please seek it elsewhere! You will respond to this but I WILL NOT! Go away......

Im utterly bored with it as well to be honest, but I'm pretty pissed at how I've been taken and spoken to after what was a well meaning reply that in no way was intended to hurt or offend anyone.

Elen
21-02-17, 09:30
As an admin this thread is getting out of control. We are all entitled to an opinion but the personal comments and lack of respect shown is not acceptable.

On a personal level telling someone with HA to DEMAND more tests is not helpful. If you only want people with HA to respond to threads that is what you are going to get. If you want to get better you need people who will challenge your thought process and encourage you to get help for the real problem, which is anxiety.

By posting on a public forum you are opening yourself up to people commenting who may have different views to you, if you cannot accept that then perhaps stick to a more private form of communication.

If you were in real life therapy for your anxiety constant comparing of symptoms would not be allowed. You would instead be encouraged to look for alternative explanations for them.

It is not easy for the gp to palm you off saying that it is muscular, it is much easier, and wrong, for them to constantly keep referring you for x rays, mri's etc, even though they know nothing is wrong.

If you have been told that problems are muscular, have you tried addressing that? Google physio exercises, relaxation exercises and put time aside every day to do them.

If the answer is no, then of course your symptoms are going to continue. Also muscular problems can last for a very long time, even after the initial cause has been sorted.

pulisa
21-02-17, 09:31
The situation is impossible here, Gary. Your point was valid and everyone knows that in their heart of hearts. It's very hard getting through to anyone who believes they are terminally ill regardless of medical evidence or lack of medical evidence especially when responses have to be in accordance with the OP's criteria.

Gary A
21-02-17, 09:37
As an admin this thread is getting out of control. We are all entitled to an opinion but the personal comments and lack of respect shown is not acceptable.

On a personal level telling someone with HA to DEMAND more tests is not helpful. If you only want people with HA to respond to threads that is what you are going to get. If you want to get better you need people who will challenge your thought process and encourage you to get help for the real problem, which is anxiety.

By posting on a public forum you are opening yourself up to people commenting who may have different views to you, if you cannot accept that then perhaps stick to a more private form of communication.

If you were in real life therapy for your anxiety constant comparing of symptoms would not be allowed. You would instead be encouraged to look for alternative explanations for them.

It is not easy for the gp to palm you off saying that it is muscular, it is much easier, and wrong, for them to constantly keep referring you for x rays, mri's etc, even though they know nothing is wrong.

If you have been told that problems are muscular, have you tried addressing that? Google physio exercises, relaxation exercises and put time aside every day to do them.

If the answer is no, then of course your symptoms are going to continue. Also muscular problems can last for a very long time, even after the initial cause has been sorted.

I do apologise for this, but I feel at the minute I'm merely defending myself against two people who are utterly determined to paint me as the bad guy when all I did was try to throw water on a post that could have alarmed a lot of people. I feel I did so in a respectable manner and was jumped on and judged instantly.

I didn't want this, not even slightly, but I have a right to defend myself against this type of thing.

almamatters
21-02-17, 09:46
I have to say I do think it is alarmist to be saying people should go to the GP and demand tests, i am a long time sufferer of HA and this kind of advice would increase my anxiety ten fold. I mean nothing personal by this, it's just an observation, i can understand both Kay and Zippy are concerned about their symptoms and believe me, I've been there many times. I have to try and trust my GP and it's took me many years to do this.

Gary A
21-02-17, 10:01
In my opinion the whole point of this site is to aid people in dealing with and ultimately defeating their anxiety, or at least get some kind of handle on it.

If I see someone who says they're constantly googling symptoms, for instance, I'll tell them that's wrong. Someone constantly seeking reassurance is wrong. Someone making repeated hospital and doctor visits despite being constantly told they're physically fine, is wrong. Someone responding to an anxious posters query basically telling them they should definitely worry, is wrong.

I point these things out because they're fundamentally wrong in dealing with and tackling anxiety. I don't say it because I dislike you or want to piss you off, I say it because I want you to see that what you're doing is only contributing further to your anxious state.

In my opinion, far too many people take this the wrong way. I cannot understand why anyone would want to be left alone in blissful ignorance and be allowed to keep digging themselves into a hole.

Help and support comes in many forms, and I'm frankly not interested in giving anyone a cuddle. I'm interested in getting you to fight your anxiety and rid yourself of this horrible illness. I cannot fathom why anyone would take this sort of thing as some kind of personal insult.

Bigboyuk
21-02-17, 10:23
In my opinion the whole point of this site is to aid people in dealing with and ultimately defeating their anxiety, or at least get some kind of handle on it.

If I see someone who says they're constantly googling symptoms, for instance, I'll tell them that's wrong. Someone constantly seeking reassurance is wrong. Someone making repeated hospital and doctor visits despite being constantly told they're physically fine, is wrong. Someone responding to an anxious posters query basically telling them they should definitely worry, is wrong.

I point these things out because they're fundamentally wrong in dealing with and tackling anxiety. I don't say it because I dislike you or want to piss you off, I say it because I want you to see that what you're doing is only contributing further to your anxious state.

In my opinion, far too many people take this the wrong way. I cannot understand why anyone would want to be left alone in blissful ignorance and be allowed to keep digging themselves into a hole.

Help and support comes in many forms, and I'm frankly not interested in giving anyone a cuddle. I'm interested in getting you to fight your anxiety and rid yourself of this horrible illness. I cannot fathom why anyone would take this sort of thing as some kind of personal insult. Gary you actually make a very good point :) And quite possibly some may take it the wrong way, but then it's their problem to some degree. Yes it does so true in many forms reassuring posts, pm's, emails, phone calls, etc and actually that includes either virtual hugs or real ones as well :) So Yeah good post.Cheers

---------- Post added at 10:23 ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 ----------

RIght a question for Zippy and Kay it may sound a daft question (don't take it the wrong way and I wont be getting in to a argument either don't see the point :) ) But you both want to get better don't you?!! What ways are you investigaiting looking at to help on this difficult road to recovery, and have any worked in the past for you both?? Cheers

rainbow
21-02-17, 10:41
Drivel.

Again, I haven't used the word "tone"! I understand your point in your first post, I totally get that telling someone with HA that something isn't right could cause more anxiety, certainly it would in me. I just felt that you were reprimanding Kay for that. I didn't feel that was necessary.

I didn't say you don't belong here, you are twisting my words. No-one can really understand what it's like to live with HA unless they've experienced it themselves, that's a fact. I have a 25 years old daughter who has anxiety and ocd surrounding germs and I admit I can't really understand what she's going through as she can't understand my HA. She has no fears over her health at all and can't get why I freak out about things that she wouldn't give a second thought to. That's not to say that you can't empathise with sufferers of HA but you simply can't really truly understand how they feel, unless maybe you're a psychologist who has studied this subject.

zippy
21-02-17, 10:44
[/COLOR]RIght a question for Zippy and Kay it may sound a daft question (don't take it the wrong way and I wont be getting in to a argument either don't see the point :) ) But you both want to get better don't you?!! What ways are you investigaiting looking at to help on this difficult road to recovery, and have any worked in the past for you both?? Cheers[/QUOTE]

I am just starting a relatively new therapy called BWRT, i am going today for my 3rd session. The first 2 sessions were getting my background etc.

Bigboyuk
21-02-17, 10:49
[/COLOR]RIght a question for Zippy and Kay it may sound a daft question (don't take it the wrong way and I wont be getting in to a argument either don't see the point :) ) But you both want to get better don't you?!! What ways are you investigaiting looking at to help on this difficult road to recovery, and have any worked in the past for you both?? Cheers

I am just starting a relatively new therapy called BWRT, i am going today for my 3rd session. The first 2 sessions were getting my background etc.[/QUOTE] Ok This sounds good even though I have not heard of BWRT, how many sessions in total and can it be extended if need be? I hope it really does help you on this road to recovery ATB :) Cheers

zippy
21-02-17, 10:52
Brainworking recursive therapy it stands for. Not sure how many sessions yet but it's supposed to be pretty fast working but we will see.

Bigboyuk
21-02-17, 10:56
Brainworking recursive therapy it stands for. Not sure how many sessions yet but it's supposed to be pretty fast working but we will see. Cool Hey go in to these sessions with a positive mind set you know. Not oh this isn't going to help and actually I don't think you are thinking it's not going to work, well I hope not. Really hope it does make a difference for you in the long term and well done for getting help too :) Cheers

Gary A
21-02-17, 11:08
Again, I haven't used the word "tone"! I understand your point in your first post, I totally get that telling someone with HA that something isn't right could cause more anxiety, certainly it would in me. I just felt that you were reprimanding Kay for that. I didn't feel that was necessary.

I didn't say you don't belong here, you are twisting my words. No-one can really understand what it's like to live with HA unless they've experienced it themselves, that's a fact. I have a 25 years old daughter who has anxiety and ocd surrounding germs and I admit I can't really understand what she's going through as she can't understand my HA. She has no fears over her health at all and can't get why I freak out about things that she wouldn't give a second thought to. That's not to say that you can't empathise with sufferers of HA but you simply can't really truly understand how they feel, unless maybe you're a psychologist who has studied this subject.

I directly stated that Kay used the word "tone", not you.

You keep saying you agree with my post and that you understand it, but you still go with this whole "reprimand" thing. I still see no evidence of you giving me a specific example of this, I see you agreeing with my post then for some reason telling me something was wrong about it.

I also don't understand this "you can't understand HA if you don't suffer it" thing. If that's the case, why did I realise that Kay's post could alarm anxiety sufferers (and you yourself just admitted it would do that to you), and Kay didn't? I've asked you this in a previous response but you dodged it.

I repeat for what is now the umpteen time, I did not intend to offend, my post is in no way reprimanding, insulting or degrading to anyone. It is merely me trying to remind two anxiety sufferers that prolonged symptoms should not always be viewed as something horrible.

Your failure to point at a specific example of this "reprimanding" or whatever you choose to call it just shows that you're simply wrong. You jumped on someone who was essentially trying to calm two people down, but you can't admit it, so you need to keep pointing at some imaginary offence.

Bigboyuk
21-02-17, 11:17
Going round in circles here and if I say was a newbie with HA I would be steering clear of this thread. Elen has been on here to remind us all and is probably still monitoring this thread. For the sake of all HA members give it a rest please I have tried to get this thread back on track

Gary A
21-02-17, 11:37
Going round in circles here and if I say was a newbie with HA I would be steering clear of this thread. Elen has been on here to remind us all and is probably still monitoring this thread. For the sake of all HA members give it a rest please I have tried to get this thread back on track

I agree. Just for the record it was never my intent to derail this thread or make it all about me, but yeah, time to put it to bed for the sake of all of our sanity.

swajj
21-02-17, 11:39
My observation is that there are people who come here who believe that all members have the right to discuss their symptoms, regardless of how often they do so. It usually goes something like this "this is an anxiety forum therefore individuals should be able to come here and share their fears if it makes them feel better".

I don't agree with those sentiments. I have explained why before and can't be bothered doing so again. But at the end of the day it is all just words on a screen and this place doesn't exist once you turn it off. It really isn't worth the angst.

Bigboyuk
21-02-17, 11:44
I agree. Just for the record it was never my intent to derail this thread or make it all about me, but yeah, time to put it to bed for the sake of all of our sanity. Thank you and that means if some says something again agree to disagree is the WTG :) Cheers

swajj
21-02-17, 11:45
Pethaps I should clarify before the sharks start circling. The forum e it's for HA sufferers and of course they should be able to come here and discuss their fears and symptoms. However there comes a point when everything that can be said has been said. At that point you stop starting threads on the same topic and go and get some real life help.

---------- Post added at 21:15 ---------- Previous post was at 21:15 ----------

exists

Bigboyuk
21-02-17, 11:49
My observation is that there are people who come here who believe that all members have the right to discuss their symptoms, regardless of how often they do so. It usually goes something like this "this is an anxiety forum therefore individuals should be able to come here and share their fears if it makes them feel better".

I don't agree with those sentiments. I have explained why before and can't be bothered doing so again. But at the end of the day it is all just words on a screen and this place doesn't exist once you turn it off. It really isn't worth the angst. My thoughts too but only if it does make them feel better :) Cheers

---------- Post added at 11:49 ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 ----------

Pethaps I should clarify before the sharks start circling. The forum e it's for HA sufferers and of course they should be able to come here and discuss their fears and symptoms. However there comes a point when everything that can be said has been said. At that point you stop starting threads on the same topic and go and get some real life help.

---------- Post added at 21:15 ---------- Previous post was at 21:15 ----------

exists Good advice swajj :) Cheers

pulisa
21-02-17, 11:54
I'm sure discussing symptoms and swapping stories does make people feel better but it doesn't do anything for their HA.

I still think we should have a separate section specifically for people who really are committed to addressing their HA and who are prepared to listen to advice from people who have successfully managed their own HA. Advice can't always be sugar-coated but would always be well-meaning and based on experience.

Any thoughts on this?

swajj
21-02-17, 12:01
I agree it would be a good idea. People who have overcome their HA often have a no nonsense approach to HA. I think this comes from finally realising how ridiculous we were before we recovered. I see the no nonsense approach still being a problem regardless of which section it is in. :unsure:

Bigboyuk
21-02-17, 12:07
I'm sure discussing symptoms and swapping stories does make people feel better but it doesn't do anything for their HA.

I still think we should have a separate section specifically for people who really are committed to addressing their HA and who are prepared to listen to advice from people who have successfully managed their own HA. Advice can't always be sugar-coated but would always be well-meaning and based on experience.

Any thoughts on this? Yes, but it all depends on the content of those stories if you follow! Don't think I need to give Eg's apart from say Zippy pm's to Kay or vice versa should be about helping each other recover and not comparing each others lumps etc assuming it's got be cancer. My thoughts well I have already set a thread up intitled do you want to recover like I do it's not just for a specific MH condition either, any one can join in this thread and several members has said it's a good idea :) Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
21-02-17, 12:11
I am sick of myself worrying that i have lung c. I have had a left back ache for 4-5 months that's now radiating into my left arm and shoulder blade area. I have had bloods done and oxygen levels checked and lungs listened too and all ok. But the last few weeks i have been very chesty and bringing green phlegm up all day. I was at the drs on friday and he said my chest sounded clear and the back pain sounded like muscular. How can my chest sound clear when i am chesty etc?

Zippy,

I've had asthma since childhood and I went through a period of a lot of chest infections. My GP's told me to look out for coloured phlegm (yellow/green) as a possible infection sign and a prompt, along with my other breathing symptoms, to see them to check it out. It usually resulted in antibiotics and at my worst periods I has steroid treatments too.

This was phlegm coughed up and my lungs were restricted so easy for a GP to spot. If the phlegm is coming from the throat, it's very possible it's higher up like a throat infection even. I GP should spot that if it's the case. Your lungs could sound clear then, which is the more important thing anyway.

As for lung cancer. Symptoms develop at the later stages. My GF's was diagnosed terminal and her symptoms weren't like yours. Her lungs did not sound fine, she was having breathing difficulties. No phlegm issues that I recall. She was sent straight to hospital and stayed in for about a month until they worked it out. Within about 6 weeks of seeing that GP she could only manage the stairs in her house once a day. That's how exhausted she was. They had to help her with her breathing. She needed a wheelchair to go anywhere after a couple of months.

That is no doubt scary to you but I want you to understand that this type of cancer is aggressive. At terminal stage, you go downhill quite rapidly.

Doctors do make mistakes sadly but it's rarer with things like this. We do have a member on here who's mother was misdiagnosed with it. It was basically a shit doctor who was not doing what he was supposed to. The minute proper tests were done, like X-Ray, it was spotted immediately and the issues about that doctor unfolded.

Yes it does happen but how often do we hear about it? The events are significant enough to get a doctor struck off. Then we hear about them in the media.

Like I said, I have asthma. I've had loads of aching due to struggling to breathe over the years. It becomes muscular due to the lack of correct breathing when I have a problem.

My mum has spent several weeks with rib pain to the point of having to sleep upright for over a week. All due to a check infection.

I have spent enough time talking to people with breathing obsessions, and had my own problems with it in my anxiety, to understand how muscular pains just come with it.

Please try to work on your anxiety. The odds are easily in your favour that this is it or it's something else other than your fears that can be treated. Your anxiety is going to fight you all the way, it's the nature of the beast, but just keep going and you will feel changes and then you will start to accept this episode for what it is.

Bigboyuk
21-02-17, 12:33
Think that was a very reassuring post off Terry and more posts like this is the way forward to recovery and it was positive too :) Cheers

Colicab85
21-02-17, 12:38
Yeah, I have to say this is all a little absurd.

I've had persistent (everyday) headaches and back pain for nearly a year. I've had multiple GP visits, Neurology visits and an MRI.

But by some of the logic on here I should be worried and demand further tests. When, in reality, I've been able to manage my anxiety over this for a while now and as a result my symptoms have reduced significantly.

Gary was 100% in the right to challenge, some of the replies to the OP are not beneficial in the slightest and will only solidify the OPs worries.

Gary A
21-02-17, 12:44
Yeah, I have to say this is all a little absurd.

I've had persistent (everyday) headaches and back pain for nearly a year. I've had multiple GP visits, Neurology visits and an MRI.

But by some of the logic on here I should be worried and demand further tests. When, in reality, I've been able to manage my anxiety over this for a while now and as a result my symptoms have reduced significantly.

Gary was 100% in the right to challenge, some of the replies to the OP are not beneficial in the slightest and will only solidify the OPs worries.

Not only the OP, but the countless people who read it, also.

My understanding of someone trying to fight anxiety is almost like them walking a tightrope. One gust of wind and they'll fall off. I just felt that reply was more like a hurricane.

The point was made about how people's "feelings should be considered", but it appears that the feelings of countless anxiety sufferers were completely ignored by the very people making that complaint.

rainbow
21-02-17, 12:50
I directly stated that Kay used the word "tone", not you.

You keep saying you agree with my post and that you understand it, but you still go with this whole "reprimand" thing. I still see no evidence of you giving me a specific example of this, I see you agreeing with my post then for some reason telling me something was wrong about it.

I also don't understand this "you can't understand HA if you don't suffer it" thing. If that's the case, why did I realise that Kay's post could alarm anxiety sufferers (and you yourself just admitted it would do that to you), and Kay didn't? I've asked you this in a previous response but you dodged it.

I repeat for what is now the umpteen time, I did not intend to offend, my post is in no way reprimanding, insulting or degrading to anyone. It is merely me trying to remind two anxiety sufferers that prolonged symptoms should not always be viewed as something horrible.

Your failure to point at a specific example of this "reprimanding" or whatever you choose to call it just shows that you're simply wrong. You jumped on someone who was essentially trying to calm two people down, but you can't admit it, so you need to keep pointing at some imaginary offence.

You have accused me of using the word "tone", have a look at your post to me before this one.

I've explained my thoughts on this over and over again, I really don't want to continue with this constant bickering back and forward. Each to their own!

Bigboyuk
21-02-17, 12:54
You have accused me of using the word "tone", have a look at your post to me before this one.

I've explained my thoughts on this over and over again, I really don't want to continue with this constant bickering back and forward. Each to their own! I think Gary has put this to bed now perhaps possibly you do the same :) Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
21-02-17, 12:54

Any thoughts on this?

I disagree in the "sugar coating" bit. Direct doesn't mean snark and we need to remember not everyone agrees on this so you won't get a solution to it. If people want a "direct approach only" sub board then I would be wary referring people to it knowing the disputes that takes place.

But I agree on a separate board. It would be nice to see the HA community get together on this and more importantly, engage with Admin. Why? Because I asked this same thing more than one when people were complaining about the feeding get issue and with the exception of Cath, I had no reply from anyone, including those complaining they wanted change. So, I gave up.

Then the new Facebook group came along for it and those interested left NMP. Some came back at times but we then had people working on recovery as opposed to see symptoms & reassurance seeking.

There was a mutual support thread. It died a death after a while. There are only a few people around now be used to post.

I don't believe there is a will to engage with Admin over this issue based on my time here. I hope you prove me wrong.

rainbow
21-02-17, 12:56
I think Gary has put this to bed now perhaps possibly you do the same :) Cheers

Quite happily, that's pretty much what my last post was about.

Bigboyuk
21-02-17, 12:59
I disagree in the "sugar coating" bit. Direct doesn't mean snark and we need to remember not everyone agrees on this so you won't get a solution to it. If people want a "direct approach only" sub board then I would be wary referring people to it knowing the disputes that takes place.

But I agree on a separate board. It would be nice to see the HA community get together on this and more importantly, engage with Admin. Why? Because I asked this same thing more than one when people were complaining about the feeding get issue and with the exception of Cath, I had no reply from anyone, including those complaining they wanted change. So, I gave up.

Then the new Facebook group came along for it and those interested left NMP. Some came back at times but we then had people working on recovery as opposed to see symptoms & reassurance seeking.

There was a mutual support thread. It died a death after a while. There are only a few people around now be used to post.

I don't believe there is a will to engage with Admin over this issue based on my time here. I hope you prove me wrong. Terry I have already created a thread do you want to recover like I do it's for multiple conditions so we all can support/encourage each other what ever the condition is so no real need for a separate board on every condition :) Cheers

KeeKee
21-02-17, 13:00
I do agree with a lot that's been said here, but I also strongly believe this forum (alongside trusting my GP) is a big part of why my HA is now manageable.

Having others tell you they've had the same worries etc made me think "Hang on a minute, we've all had this, there's no way we've all got x, y or z". I do believe it doesn't work for some, evidenced by a lot of posts on here. I just hate seeing comments that imply it's a fact that discussing symptoms with others only prolongs the anxiety, quite the opposite for me.

For over a year now my health anxiety has been a background issue. Partly due to this forum and also as I trust my GP.

I do agree With Garys first comment I just don't see why there's any need to continuously argue, that applies to both sides. Some comments have been laughable. I also disagree with demanding tests from the GP like we know better than them.

I think for some people this goes beyond health anxiety and could also include trust issues. It isn't in any GP's best interests to just fob us off.

MyNameIsTerry
21-02-17, 13:02
I think Gary has put this to bed now perhaps possibly you do the same :) Cheers

Bump.

I think everyone needs to put it aside as regardless of what you said higher up, it's still rumbling on. Agree to disagree. No one is going to agree and this is a few members on a thread, it's not a forum consensus.

Pulisa - I think your question about forum is a good one but this that will be double the size and perhaps not best for zippy and others as it's going to likely end up is discussing points that touch on this argument. (I'm guilty of that in my own reply about it! :doh:) New thread?

Fishmanpa
21-02-17, 13:05
I do agree with a lot that's been said here, but I also strongly believe this forum (alongside trusting my GP) is a big part of why my HA is now manageable.

You're one of the rare one's then KeeKee. I see so much the opposite :(

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
21-02-17, 13:07
Terry I have already created a thread do you want to recover like I do it's for multiple conditions so we all can support/encourage each other what ever the condition is so no real need for a separate board on every condition :) Cheers

No one goes on Misc, Dave. In the time I've been here I've formed the opinion HA sufferers frequent mostly Symptoms and HA. The majority, I have never seen posting on other boards.

There is a HA recovery thread on this board and they have yours. The trouble with one thread though is it gets unruly and a lot to keep reading. I guess they need to decide which they prefer. Given this place has been mostly No More HA since I came here, they may need something bigger? The other boards tick along just fine and it's uncommon to see the disputes seen on this board. I guess they need to decide, either way your thread is still there for the rest if they want something bespoke and I think people will still use it as long as you are here.

Gary A
21-02-17, 13:08
I think people need to realise that all I really want is a cuddle. :bighug1:

KeeKee
21-02-17, 13:08
You're one of the rare one's then KeeKee. I see so much the opposite :(

Positive thoughts

Oh I do agree with that FMP, I've always been the opposite to most people anyway :D, think I like to be awkward.
For example my depression is always worse in lighter nights and sunny days, I've always over ate whereas most people I know when low lose their appetite.

MyNameIsTerry
21-02-17, 13:12
Oh I do agree with that FMP, I've always been the opposite to most people anyway :D, think I like to be awkward.
For example my depression is always worse in lighter nights and sunny days, I've always over ate whereas most people I know when low lose their appetite.

See, even vampires get health anxiety, :biggrin: Have you seen Vladimir on that advert? I thought of you once! :biggrin:

I resisted saying "lady of the night"...I think that means something very different :ohmy::winks:

KeeKee
21-02-17, 13:28
Could you imagine my profile on a dating site - Likes Linkin Park, enjoys watching Columbo, Vampiress, potential "lady of the night", I'm a right catch!

swajj
21-02-17, 13:28
Terry I never knew that about your girlfriend. I'm sorry that must have been very hard for you.

Zippy I think your pain is muscular too. The more you worry about the pain being a symptom of lung cancer the more tense your muscles will be.

MyNameIsTerry
21-02-17, 13:44
Thanks swajj, I really appreciate that. My GF is still coming to terms with it in her own way but she's a recovered depression sufferer (from an assault) and learned to break free with a better mindset and that just kicked in for her and continues too. It's easy for me by comparison.

My brother's GF's mum had a longer case due to lesions on her lungs. Her breathing ability was greatly reduced and she was very ill until it took her.

From having asthma, and having to work out the difference to my anxiety symptoms, which took quite a long time, I know now how my asthma feels worse. I stopped taking my asthma meds due to the fear of meds and ended up having a mild asthma attack. No amount of breathing techniques deal with that, medication is urgently needed.

It's much easier for me though to have those realisations. I've never doubted anxiety, although doubting my GP on certain things was a different issue for good reason. Whilst I hate the symptoms, I'm still naturally objective. However, change the theme to one of my own ones and the struggles are just as hard, just different.

swajj
21-02-17, 13:51
Yes I understand Terry. I work with 2 teachers who have severe asthma. It really get them down sometimes. I hope your girlfriend is coping ok.

MyNameIsTerry
21-02-17, 13:56
Thanks swajj, I really appreciate that. My GF is still coming to terms with it in her own way but she's a recovered depression sufferer (from an assault) and learned to break free with a better mindset and that just kicked in for her and continues too. It's easy for me by comparison.

My brother's GF's mum had a longer case due to lesions on her lungs. Her breathing ability was greatly reduced and she was very ill until it took her.

From having asthma, and having to work out the difference to my anxiety symptoms, which took quite a long time, I know now how my asthma feels worse. I stopped taking my asthma meds due to the fear of meds and ended up having a mild asthma attack. No amount of breathing techniques deal with that, medication is urgently needed.

It's much easier for me though to have those realisations. I've never doubted anxiety, although doubting my GP on certain things was a different issue for good reason. Whilst I hate the symptoms, I'm still naturally objective. However, change the theme to one of my own ones and the struggles are just as hard, just different.

Zippy,

I don't want it appear I'm going off topic in this response or to trigger you. What I mean to say is that in both of these cases it was evident to a GP in the first consultation that something was very wrong and they tested or referred off. There was no messing about, not even a consideration it could be something like mental health (there were none involved) it was just clear something was physically wrong and an urgent diagnosis was needed.

If anything, GP's might be more likely to refer just to be sure?

pulisa
21-02-17, 14:06
My Mum died from breast cancer secondaries which got into her lung lining so I'm aware how serious and devastating symptoms can get.

I've got control over my HA with a "no nonsense " approach but I appreciate that not everyone would accept this. I have other issues over which I have no control at all and which have lasted decades so I'm hardly a "success story" and yes, it's really hard when you're dealing with entrenched disorders and behaviours.

swajj
21-02-17, 14:16
You always sound in control pulisa. I was just thinking the other day that I don't think I have ever come here seeking advice. I have no doubt that I always sound in control of my HA. I am now completely, but I have been here posting at times when my HA was spiralling.

zippy
21-02-17, 16:39
Thanks for all the replies.
I always worry more when a symptom persists and the back ache has been in the same place and has been for 4-5 months. And then when the chesty symptom started and then that freaked me out more that my worries were confirmed. But obviously my lungs sound clear to the GP. and oxygen levels have been 98/99% and bloods ok.

Fishmanpa
21-02-17, 16:47
Zippy,

With respect, in the last 8 years since you've been posting here. Has any of your biggest fears come to pass?

Positive thoughts

zippy
21-02-17, 16:54
No but i always fear this time is different which i know is the power of HA.

Elen
21-02-17, 17:25
Thanks for all the replies.
I always worry more when a symptom persists and the back ache has been in the same place and has been for 4-5 months. And then when the chesty symptom started and then that freaked me out more that my worries were confirmed. But obviously my lungs sound clear to the GP. and oxygen levels have been 98/99% and bloods ok.

So back to my question from pages ago. Have you tried googling physio exercises which can help to ease your back pain? Bad posture and tension can cause a lot of long term pain but but there are things that you can do to rectify this.

Fishmanpa
21-02-17, 17:31
Zippy,

With respect, in the last 8 years since you've been posting here. Has any of your biggest fears come to pass?

No but i always fear this time is different which i know is the power of HA.

There ya go! In reality, one day it may come up and in fact, as we grow old, it's inevitable something will come along more serious than a cold or sore muscles. In the mean time... 8 years... 8 years of worry and missing out on living. Think about that. Not to bring you down but perhaps to wake you up. I would be pissed as hell if something I actually had control over took that from me. And the thing is, unlike some of the deadly illnesses you fear, you can gain control of your anxiety. It's work but you know what they say about working for something you really want.

I have real physical issues that can bury me 6 feet under. Worrying needlessly as you're doing is essentially burying you above ground.

Good luck to you Zippy. With respect, I hope there comes a time you're not posting anymore. That would mean you've learned to live instead of worry ;)

Positive thoughts

zippy
21-02-17, 17:48
The thing is bizarre as it sounds i don't feel that anxious as i have in the past i.e symptom wise. But i am obviously because i am thinking about it everyday.

Elen
21-02-17, 17:51
So back to my question from pages ago. Have you tried googling physio exercises which can help to ease your back pain? Bad posture and tension can cause a lot of long term pain but but there are things that you can do to rectify this.

?

zippy
21-02-17, 17:53
ELEN i did see an osteopath before xmas who said she could feel all my left was tight and locked but obviously it didn't go. I have just handed a form in at the gp's for a referral for physio too.

Elen
21-02-17, 17:54
ELEN i did see an osteopath before xmas who said she could feel all my left was tight and locked but obviously it didn't go. I have just handed a form in at the gp's for a referral for physio too.

Excellent well done Zippy, hopefully they will show you some exercises that will help.

pulisa
21-02-17, 17:58
I think some physio would be the way forward for you, zippy. Why not go for the simple and most logical "diagnosis" of your discomfort this time? It would be a very positive start.

zippy
21-02-17, 18:03
I think because i saw the osteopath 4 months ago and it didn't help that set my panic off. I also have tried a shiatsu masager but it just seems to aggravate it and make it worse.

pulisa
21-02-17, 18:12
Why not give the physiotherapist a chance and start with a positive mindset?

Bigboyuk
21-02-17, 18:36
No one goes on Misc, Dave. In the time I've been here I've formed the opinion HA sufferers frequent mostly Symptoms and HA. The majority, I have never seen posting on other boards.

There is a HA recovery thread on this board and they have yours. The trouble with one thread though is it gets unruly and a lot to keep reading. I guess they need to decide which they prefer. Given this place has been mostly No More HA since I came here, they may need something bigger? The other boards tick along just fine and it's uncommon to see the disputes seen on this board. I guess they need to decide, either way your thread is still there for the rest if they want something bespoke and I think people will still use it as long as you are here. Probably because its listed as Misc? And it makes sense if you suffer from HA that will be the board you post on :) I didn't know the there was a HA Recovery section so this good but is it widely known that it exists? Yes well I hope they do and will still post my successes on there too!! Cheers

---------- Post added at 18:30 ---------- Previous post was at 18:27 ----------

I think people need to realise that all I really want is a cuddle. :bighug1: Yeah i'll go with that Gary:bighug1:Cheers

---------- Post added at 18:33 ---------- Previous post was at 18:30 ----------

ELEN i did see an osteopath before xmas who said she could feel all my left was tight and locked but obviously it didn't go. I have just handed a form in at the gp's for a referral for physio too. Excellent news Zippy 8 years is a heck of a long time So a new you is on the way :hugs:Cheers

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

The thing is bizarre as it sounds i don't feel that anxious as i have in the past i.e symptom wise. But i am obviously because i am thinking about it everyday. Again that is good plus for you So pleased for you :)

Catherine S
21-02-17, 18:38
Also, it's often the case that at the first few physio sessions the pain may well feel worse before it starts to feel better, so hang in there.

ISB ☺

pulisa
21-02-17, 19:29
Yes that's certainly right and you have to persevere with the exercises in order to get the best possible benefit.

zippy
21-02-17, 20:05
It just blows my mind every time how powerful the mind is. I got the back ache and thought if it was my lung my breathing would be affected and then what do you know i start feeling breathless. I then hear shoulder and arm pain is a symptom and then what do you know i have that too. And then feeling chesty yup i have that too.

pulisa
21-02-17, 20:35
It just blows my mind every time how powerful the mind is. I got the back ache and thought if it was my lung my breathing would be affected and then what do you know i start feeling breathless. I then hear shoulder and arm pain is a symptom and then what do you know i have that too. And then feeling chesty yup i have that too.

Good that all your medical tests have been clear,zippy. The mind is very powerful and can certainly be open to suggestion as regards physical symptoms.

zippy
21-02-17, 20:53
That's just it i don't feel like i have had medical tests apart from bloods done, oxygen levels checked and lungs listened to.

pulisa
21-02-17, 21:00
That's just it i don't feel like i have had medical tests apart from bloods done, oxygen levels checked and lungs listened to.

But if the first line basic tests were fine why would you want to expose yourself to radiation for an x ray, if that's what you were wanting? What did your GP say?

zippy
21-02-17, 21:05
He just said my lungs were clear and felt my abdomen and shoulders and said it seems muscular. I know i can't keep exposing myself to radiation but i always feel like i won't move on until i have one which i am hoping to break the cycle of. I always come out of the drs thinking i haven't told them this and that.

Fishmanpa
21-02-17, 21:07
Zippy,

Again with respect... I had a look through a few pages of your post history and you've had more tests than I've had in the last year or so and I actually have real health issues!

May I ask what you've done to treat your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

Sixpack
21-02-17, 21:09

I am rather new to this site. I don't know any of the peeps history of HA etc. So Just going to throw this out there. How many fears have you had in the past (serious ones) that have not come to true? How did you get over them? What would happen, do you think, IF you got your doctor to order an X-Ray? Would you doubt that and think it missed it? If so, would you then demand an CT scan or ultrasound or MRI? Would that solve your lung cancer fear? If so, would you now be cured of HA? OR do you think in a fairly short time your anxious thinking would just mosey on down to the next ache and pain that pops up?

Again, I say all of this because I KNOW how HA and anxiety, in general, works/behaves. I know all of its wily ways. I know the lies it spins. I know the rationalizations it makes. I know all the "what ifs" .... I know that lasting solace will never come from another vial of blood, ultra sound, MRI machine, repeat doctor visits.... HA is never successfully addressed in this manner....

Gary A
21-02-17, 21:10
He just said my lungs were clear and felt my abdomen and shoulders and said it seems muscular. I know i can't keep exposing myself to radiation but i always feel like i won't move on until i have one which i am hoping to break the cycle of. I always come out of the drs thinking i haven't told them this and that.

And then when you get your clear X-ray, you'll question if that would always pick up a tumour in the lungs, so you'll want CT or MRI scanning. Then when that reveals nothing you'll probably read some random story somewhere that reports a cancerous lung tumour being missed by these scans, and away you'll go again.

Your anxiety demands this. It puts the doubt in your head so that you'll keep feeding it with pointless doctor visits and medical examinations. You said it yourself, you always walk out thinking you've missed something out. That's not you thinking you've missed something, it's your anxiety planting yet another seed of doubt.

At some point you need to stop going for tests, stop going to the doctor and really try to stop allowing anxiety to bully you in this way.

pulisa
21-02-17, 21:11
I hate the idea of unnecessary radiation. I'd be happy to have clear lungs and normal saturation levels. I wouldn't want any tests not based on clinical need because they would just cause me needless anxiety.

And yes, I do have HA but I have to work hard to manage it.

zippy
21-02-17, 21:15
I know that is so true sixpack. I know if i got an x ray i will calm down until the next symptom pops up and the the cycle starts again. When i haven't got a symptom i feel loads better and think i will never let myself get that bad again but i always do. I have just started BWRT and you have to replace your anxious feeling with how you would like to feel. He said your mind just keeps repeating and responding to the learnt behaviour every time it feels threatened.

PASchoolSyndrome
21-02-17, 21:23
I hate the idea of unnecessary radiation. I'd be happy to have clear lungs and normal saturation levels. I wouldn't want any tests not based on clinical need because they would just cause me needless anxiety.

And yes, I do have HA but I have to work hard to manage it.

People always forget this. They get so angry when an imaging scan is not offered but it's like.. Radiation isn't good for you. No it wont kill you one time but it's cumulative.

I got anxious when urgent care wanted to give me an X-ray and I was like, BUT DO I NEED ONE.

Fishmanpa
21-02-17, 21:24
I have just started BWRT and you have to replace your anxious feeling with how you would like to feel. He said your mind just keeps repeating and responding to the learnt behaviour every time it feels threatened.

Sounds right and it also sounds similar to CBT. You have to work hard at it but it's SO worth it!

Positive thoughts

pulisa
I've never heard of BWRT but I really hope that this therapy helps you to rationalise your thoughts, zippy. At least you are actively seeking help and trying to challenge your HA. It's certainly not a hopeless cause and you will feel such liberation if you can learn to manage your HA successfully.

Sixpack
I know that is so true sixpack. I know if i got an x ray i will calm down until the next symptom pops up and the the cycle starts again. When i haven't got a symptom i feel loads better and think i will never let myself get that bad again but i always do. I have just started BWRT and you have to replace your anxious feeling with how you would like to feel. He said your mind just keeps repeating and responding to the learnt behaviour every time it feels threatened.

So that tells me that you know you are falling for your anxious thinking's lies and any additional testing would be a waste/useless/and not totally benign.

When I realized that several years back, it freakin' ticked me off! I hated the idea that I kept letting that B***H sucker punch me. I mean it made me feel foolish and embarrassed. I imagine you must feel that way to some extent. Hopefully enough that you won't continue the cycle. I hope you are able to get a lot of this new therapy you are involved in now! Just think how liberating you will feel when you get that monkey off of your back.

swajj
22-02-17, 08:45
I was advised by my doctor that I shouldn't expose myself to unnecessary radiation. However I have read on here several times that there is no correlation between radiation and cancer. It's hard to know whether there is or there isn't..

That isn't to say that you should rush out and get a chest X-ray though. Has your HA been ongoing for 8 years zippy? If so then you might want to start thinking about how much more time and energy you want to give to it. I haven't read all the thread so not sure if you are receiving counselling. I hope you are.

Bigboyuk
22-02-17, 11:09
I was advised by my doctor that I shouldn't expose myself to unnecessary radiation. However I have read on here several times that there is no correlation between radiation and cancer. It's hard to know whether there is or there isn't..

That isn't to say that you should rush out and get a chest X-ray though. Has your HA been ongoing for 8 years zippy? If so then you might want to start thinking about how much more time and energy you want to give to it. I haven't read all the thread so not sure if you are receiving counselling. I hope you are. Well your Dr is correct on this, but think he referring to many X-Rays over a 12 month period you know OTT exposure of it. Hmm High levels of radiation can actually cause some types of cancer and is proven. Modern day X-Rays pose little risk unless it's over done on a very regular basis. Don't think Zippy should ever give up her fight regarding her HA unless she is at a comfortable stage and can manage it correctly, what I am saying is never give up the fight to get better, I haven't and feel much better :) Cheers

PASchoolSyndrome
22-02-17, 11:20

Uhm... Not sure where you read that.

100% proven correlation...

That's how Marie Curie and her husband died.. got cancer from experimenting with radon.

That's not to scare anyone. There is such little little risk with X-rays that the amount of radiation you're exposed to is so minimal, you could get the same radiation by spending a day at the beach. I'm just saying - yes it is cumulative throughout life so why be exposed to it if you don't have to?

Bigboyuk
22-02-17, 11:35

That's how Marie Curie and her husband died.. got cancer from experimenting with radon.

That's not to scare anyone. There is such little little risk with X-rays that the amount of radiation you're exposed to is so minimal, you could get the same radiation by spending a day at the beach. I'm just saying - yes it is cumulative throughout life so why be exposed to it if you don't have to? My point exactly said something along those lines in my previous post if used correctly (X-Rays) and is not abused every time you have a lump on you then normal exposure is fine. You only have to look at Chernoble disaster mind you that's the other end of the scale and to this very day the site is still heavly contaminated! Cheers

zippy
22-02-17, 12:01
I have just been for a walk because i feel so chesty and i walked 1.5 miles. Felt a bit breathless but managed it.

Bigboyuk
22-02-17, 12:04
I have just been for a walk because i feel so chesty and i walked 1.5 miles. Felt a bit breathless but managed it. Good on you, well done:hugs:Cheers

Fishmanpa
22-02-17, 12:38

I said that concerning x-rays and cancer... I had Head and Neck Cancer. I was treated 5 days a week for 6 weeks (30 treatments) with radiation. Enough to turn my neck, mouth and throat to a crisp. Add to that a CT scan before every session to aim the radiation beams.

There is not one documented case where x-rays or CT scans were the proven cause of someone's cancer. This coming from several of the top Radiation Oncologists at Johns Hopkins where I was treated. What you're talking about with Marie Curie is TOTALLY different.

Positive thoughts

Bigboyuk
22-02-17, 12:46
I said that concerning x-rays and cancer... I had Head and Neck Cancer. I was treated 5 days a week for 6 weeks (30 treatments) with radiation. Enough to turn my neck, mouth and throat to a crisp. Add to that a CT scan before every session to aim the radiation beams.

There is not one documented case where x-rays or CT scans were the proven cause of someone's cancer. This coming from several of the top Radiation Oncologists at Johns Hopkins where I was treated. What you're talking about with Marie Curie is TOTALLY different.

Positive thoughtsEven so if there was a huge risk from your exposure to this amount of radiation would they have gone ahead with it? Modern machines like X-Rays have less amounts of radiation compared to the machines they used many years ago. while there is still that risk it's quite low I would have thought :) Cheers

Fishmanpa
22-02-17, 13:20
Let's put it in perspective. There are many things, that in unusually large quantities, can have a carcinogenic effect on the human body. Processed meats, alcohol, bar-b-que etc. Perhaps if all you ate and drank day in and day out were these types of foods and beverages, then your "risk" of cancer could go up.

Exposing yourself to "unnecessary" risks makes sense BUT... in the big picture, a few extra x-rays in your life isn't one of those risks IMO.

The real point is from the HA perspective is listening to the doctor as opposed to continually seeking unnecessary tests. Demanding tests when they're not necessary just feeds your anxiety and burdens an already overburdened system.

Positive thoughts

PASchoolSyndrome
22-02-17, 13:42

Positive thoughts

Causation vs correlation.

I was speaking on the correlation. Causation is extremely hard if not impossible to prove, though hard to
Argue at the nuclear test sites and radiation scientists back in the day. Things can increase your risk but I'm under the impression, along with many expert oncologists, that if you're DNA was going to mutate - it was going to do so whether or not you had an X-ray one time or 20. That being said, while the Curies' situation is absolutely different than a controlled scan, it is still among the rhelms of excess radiation causing mutations in DNA that can lead to cancerous growth. Risk is everything and nothing at all at the same time.

Regardless, you're absolutely right. Not arguing there with your point!

pulisa
22-02-17, 13:58
Zippy, can I ask you about your BWRT therapy and who recommended it for you? Do you find it is helpful so far?

zippy
22-02-17, 14:10
A woman whose son tried it and said he was a changed lad. I have only been 3 times and the last one he said something was stopping me from wanting to get better because i said everytime i try something for anxiety i always have the little voice saying it won't work on me. So he is going to work on this next week.

pulisa
22-02-17, 14:25
I wondered whether your GP had referred you. I haven't heard about it before but looked it up and see that it promises rapid results so you must let us know how things go?

MyNameIsTerry
22-02-17, 15:31
Causation vs correlation.

I was speaking on the correlation. Causation is extremely hard if not impossible to prove, though hard to
Argue at the nuclear test sites and radiation scientists back in the day. Things can increase your risk but I'm under the impression, along with many expert oncologists, that if you're DNA was going to mutate - it was going to do so whether or not you had an X-ray one time or 20. That being said, while the Curies' situation is absolutely different than a controlled scan, it is still among the rhelms of excess radiation causing mutations in DNA that can lead to cancerous growth. Risk is everything and nothing at all at the same time.

Regardless, you're absolutely right. Not arguing there with your point!

According to our NHS, which is what we should be listening to in the UK:

Generally, the amount of radiation you're exposed to during an X-ray is the equivalent to between a few days and a few years of exposure to natural radiation from the environment.
Being exposed to X-rays does carry a risk of causing cancer many years or decades later, but this risk is thought to be very small.
For example, an X-ray of your chest, limbs or teeth is equivalent to a few days' worth of background radiation, and has less than a 1 in 1,000,000 chance of causing cancer

Just like putting sun cream or not going on sunbeds, why do it if you don't need it? Besides that, they cost money and unnecessary ones delay other patients who need them hence doctors take all this into account.

swajj
23-02-17, 06:54
I was referring to a correlation between cancer and X-Rays.

I have to agree though, why do it if it you don't need to?

Leah88
24-02-17, 08:12
I'm just jumping on the lung thread to save a new one... I asked this once before but nobody answered. Do you think your lungs can hurt from getting too skinny?... could it be gall stone problems? I have had lung pain for a while and am scared.

swajj
24-02-17, 08:51
How do you know the pain is coming from your lungs?

Bigboyuk
24-02-17, 09:30
Hi Have you been to your Dr yet, And what do you call 'too' skinny? This other problem also concerns me. Cheers

Leah88
24-02-17, 09:41
I have been to the dr but I can't have a chest X-ray as I'm pregnant... the pain started a few months before I was pregnant so it's not from that. It began when I started fasting to try and prevent another disease I thought I had from progressing. By too skinny I mean 42kgs at 165cm

Bigboyuk
24-02-17, 10:19
I have been to the dr but I can't have a chest X-ray as I'm pregnant... the pain started a few months before I was pregnant so it's not from that. It began when I started fasting to try and prevent another disease I thought I had from progressing. By too skinny I mean 42kgs at 165cmOMG And you are carrying a baby too I feel for you, what was this other disease you thought you had which made you want to fast?? So that's 5' 2" at 6St in old money :) You need to get some help regarding this other illness/condition! Cheers

Leah88
25-02-17, 05:35
I started fasting when I thought I had a premature aging telemerase syndrome last year. I think the pain is in my right lung and I keep thinking it's a secondary as I know lungs are where metastasises like to set up shop. I have a cough too but I'm hoping the 2 aren't related. I tend to piece things like we all do. I'm just curious to see if anyone else who got a bit underweight had any problems with any organs. I was very anaemic too which makes me wonder if that hurt my lungs. When my Heath anxiety is at it's worse I tend to stop eating and just pace around and this makes my weight a problem.

Bigboyuk
25-02-17, 11:08
I started fasting when I thought I had a premature aging telemerase syndrome last year. I think the pain is in my right lung and I keep thinking it's a secondary as I know lungs are where metastasises like to set up shop. I have a cough too but I'm hoping the 2 aren't related. I tend to piece things like we all do. I'm just curious to see if anyone else who got a bit underweight had any problems with any organs. I was very anaemic too which makes me wonder if that hurt my lungs. When my Heath anxiety is at it's worse I tend to stop eating and just pace around and this makes my weight a problem. Never heard of it, but it sounds nasty :eek: I would suggest the cough is nothing more than a cough due to this bad weather we have all been through :) I would go to your Dr and run all your concerns by him, get a positive plan of action set up and get some weight back on for the sake of you and your soon to be baby :) Cheers

KeeKee
25-02-17, 11:29
OMG And you are carrying a baby too I feel for you, what was this other disease you thought you had which made you want to fast?? So that's 5' 2" at 6St in old money :) You need to get some help regarding this other illness/condition! Cheers

It's actually 5'4.9", I'm 164cm and 5 foot 4.5. Leah88 you are very underweight, it's no the wonder you're experiencing pains. I hope you can get decent help soon as it must me so awful feeling that way.
I know it's complex, but is there any way you could drink milk shakes or something high in calories? Not eating will only cause more issues (as in dizziness, hunger which can feel like nausea) and will probably increase your health anxiety.

Bigboyuk
25-02-17, 11:40
It's actually 5'4.9", I'm 164cm and 5 foot 4.5. Leah88 you are very underweight, it's no the wonder you're experiencing pains. I hope you can get decent help soon as it must me so awful feeling that way.
I know it's complex, but is there any way you could drink milk shakes or something high in calories? Not eating will only cause more issues (as in dizziness, hunger which can feel like nausea) and will probably increase your health anxiety. KeeKee Iam only going by what google said lol, Exactly and organs will be affected, so need professional help A.S.A.P Like I said do it for your babys sake please :) Cheers

Leah88
25-02-17, 20:46
I do weigh considerably more since being pregnant and I do eat properly now too. It's just that the lung pain never seemed to go away when I put the weight back on and stopped fasting.

Bigboyuk
25-02-17, 22:41
I do weigh considerably more since being pregnant and I do eat properly now too. It's just that the lung pain never seemed to go away when I put the weight back on and stopped fasting. Well then you should get checked out by your Dr How many weeks are you? Do you have Bf who can support you? You need to think of your baby right now, get back on track please :)

swajj
25-02-17, 22:53
This thread has been hijacked lol

I think Leah should have started her own thread. Just saying.:noangel:

Bigboyuk
25-02-17, 23:11
This thread has been hijacked lol

I think Leah should have started her own thread. Just saying.:noangel: Yes think you are right on this :)