PDA

View Full Version : Multiple sclerosis fear

Ljthompson10
20-02-17, 13:05
Hi, I am happy to say I have beaten my health anxiety.

However today I have had a minor MS scare - for the first time in AGES

Basically when I stretch my arms out and tense the muscles I get a shock/numb feeling shoot down my arm and down to my pinky. It's worse on the left - much worse

I also have twitching all over my body

I have occasional eye flashes but have had an eye test and all was good!!

I have bad mood swings (not that this has anything to do with it) possible minor depression + OCD :(

My short term memory hasn't been as good.

Anyway I'm quite scared but I'm sure I'm being silly. Ima. Lot more rational than I used to be.

Sixpack
20-02-17, 13:11
I agree. You are being silly.

Catherine S
20-02-17, 13:29
Be interesting to see how many good people get sucked into this one Six pack eh? My brother is in a wheelchair because of MS so it's an illness close to my heart. Don't play with people on this Ljthompson.

ISB

Ljthompson10
20-02-17, 14:10
I'm sorry to hear about your brother.

It's just why do my arm have a shock feeling when I stretch them out. And all that.

I know how it feels to have family Ill. My grandad had ALS. Believe me.

Gary A
20-02-17, 14:15
I'm sorry to hear about your brother.

It's just why do my arm have a shock feeling when I stretch them out. And all that.

I know how it feels to have family Ill. My grandad had ALS. Believe me.

You're probably stretching nerves and it's giving you that sensation.

You don't have MS, same as you don't have the other multiple conditions you've been concerned about for the past few months.

Ljthompson10
20-02-17, 14:19
Ok thankyou. That make sense as I have a similar feeling when I rub the inside of my arms hard.
Does that sound right? I'm quite thin.

Gary A
20-02-17, 14:21
Ok thankyou. That make sense as I have a similar feeling when I rub the inside of my arms hard.
Does that sound right? I'm quite thin.

Yes.

You don't have MS.

Ljthompson10
20-02-17, 15:21
Thankyou.

I also have quite bad tremors in my fingers when I hold them out.

Is this nothing to worry about either

Gary A
20-02-17, 15:24
Thankyou.

I also have quite bad tremors in my fingers when I hold them out.

Is this nothing to worry about either

This is going to go round in circles, isn't it? A never ending line of enquiry that will ultimately achieve nothing.

You don't have MS.

Ljthompson10
20-02-17, 16:09
I appreciate I don't have ms.

But is the tempura nothing to worry about

---------- Post added at 16:09 ---------- Previous post was at 16:09 ----------

*tremours

Catherine S
20-02-17, 16:18
No.

ISB

Gary A
20-02-17, 16:23
I appreciate I don't have ms.

But is the tempura nothing to worry about

---------- Post added at 16:09 ---------- Previous post was at 16:09 ----------

*tremours

It doesn't matter if you're asking about MS or not, reassurance seeking is reassurance seeking. Your anxiety is needing something to feed off and you're giving it just that.

Saying "I'm happy to say I'm over my HA" before going on a reassurance seeking spree just shows that you're trying to dupe people.

Ljthompson10
20-02-17, 16:29
I'm not. I don't have health anxiety. I don't let it bother me any more. I just want advise

Gary A
20-02-17, 16:45
I'm not. I don't have health anxiety. I don't let it bother me any more. I just want advise

No you don't, you want reassurance.

Katy_o
20-02-17, 16:46
Sorry to point out the obvious... If you come onto a health anxiety forum and post about MS "symptoms", and get several responses telling you that you have nothing to worry about. Responses that only leads you to reply with: but what about this?...or should I worry about this?... then you most certainly haven't beaten your health anxiety.

Fishmanpa
20-02-17, 17:08
Sorry to point out the obvious... If you come onto a health anxiety forum and post about MS "symptoms", and get several responses telling you that you have nothing to worry about. Responses that only leads you to reply with: but what about this?...or should I worry about this?... then you most certainly haven't beaten your health anxiety.

:emot-nod:

Positive thoughts

Ljthompson10
20-02-17, 18:40
You guys are just trying to get to me :)

Gary. Thankyou for your reaponses.

I'll leave now and get on with life:)

Catherine S
20-02-17, 21:00
Sixpack, he said he's gonna move on from it now so maybe we should let him?

ISB ☺

---------- Post added at 21:00 ---------- Previous post was at 20:52 ----------

Ahh..no, I wasn't referring to fear of the disease itself there, but more to the fact that the OP likes to suck people in. Subtle difference :D

ISB

Sixpack
20-02-17, 21:02
Sixpack, he said he's gonna move on from it now so maybe we should let him?

ISB ☺

---------- Post added at 21:00 ---------- Previous post was at 20:52 ----------

Ahh..no, I wasn't referring to fear of the disease itself there, but more to the fact that the OP likes to suck people in. Subtle difference :D

ISB

Ah

MyNameIsTerry
21-02-17, 00:09
It doesn't matter if you're asking about MS or not, reassurance seeking is reassurance seeking. Your anxiety is needing something to feed off and you're giving it just that.

Saying "I'm happy to say I'm over my HA" before going on a reassurance seeking spree just shows that you're trying to dupe people.

My belief is denial. Some people need to be honest about mental health to themselves so they can push on to proper recovery.

Anxiety going them coming back doesn't mean it really went anywhere. People without these disorders don't keep turning up on forums, they deal with it and probably never talk about it beyond what is normal.

Gary A
21-02-17, 00:13
My belief is denial. Some people need to be honest about mental health to themselves so they can push on to proper recovery.

Anxiety going them coming back doesn't mean it really went anywhere. People without these disorders don't keep turning up on forums, they deal with it and probably never talk about it beyond what is normal.

Possibly denial, yeah. In essence, though, the OP is trying to give the impression that they're over the HA in order to be able to seek reassurance and not be called on it. Perhaps "duping" people was the wrong wording.

I really need to find out how to post without sounding like a homicidal maniac. :doh:

MyNameIsTerry
21-02-17, 00:18
Possibly denial, yeah. In essence, though, the OP is trying to give the impression that they're over the HA in order to be able to seek reassurance and not be called on it. Perhaps "duping" people was the wrong wording.

I really need to find out how to post without sounding like a homicidal maniac. :doh:

Ha, you don't sound like that! :D

He's been talking about intrusive thoughts, some OCD themes, etc on the OCD board recently too. I think sometimes people don't realise they are just overlapping as well as treat things in isolation when it's obvious there is a link somewhere. :shrug:

Definitely reassurance seeking. It always sticks out a mile to me when a reply ends with "am I right" type hook. :winks: