PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you ever had Schema Therapy?

GingerFish
20-02-17, 16:59
Hi guys, I am coming to the end of my basic anxiety management therapy with my CPN and now its time to move onto the more intensive therapy. The psychiatrist suggested basic anxiety management to try and help me for Schema. I've heard Schema can be a gruelling therapy. Have any of you ever had this kind of therapy? I'm looking for some advice on what to expect and things like that.

habari
12-02-19, 20:26
Dear Gingerfish.
I had two years of Schema therapy for complex ptsd, anxiety and depression.
It was a time that set me back big time. As you know the therapist makes you consider what mode you are in.
So for example you may feel anxious driving past your old school where you were bullied and they say “ah you are in vulnerable child mode- try to bring out the soothing adult in you”. And so it goes on digging deeper into the recesses of your mind bringing back memories.—-in my case child sex abuse.
It was developed by Young in the 90s as an add on to CBT
The drop out rate is high, Uk psychogists have to read it up first and fast become dominant and bullying adults to your frail psyche ! Many patients become worse and more vulnerable.
I am not going down that route ever again.
Best wishes
Dick

pulisa
13-02-19, 08:45
It sounds a ghastly and traumatic therapy for already highly vulnerable people.

Awful for you, Dick. Sometimes you do need to be very careful about therapies, especially when they are delivered by sub-standard psychologists.