PDA

View Full Version : Fear for partner lung C

lily1
20-02-17, 19:18
I am now not only fearing for my own health my partners too!
He was a smoker for 30 years and he is complaining of shoulder pain. He has had this before in a different area and it was bursitis.
Now the pain is in his scapula.
I heard shoulder pain could be a uncommon cancer of the lung that grows at the top, Pancoast and scapula pain is a symptom!

He had a clear X Ray last year but this doesn't show on X Ray usually.

Is there a chance it maybe just shoulder pain, torn muscle or something or is he doomed. :((

Kay8010
20-02-17, 19:32
Hi

I was a smoker for 18 years, stopped 2 weeks ago. Ive had upper aching back pain for about 4 weeks now and I fear the same!

Ive had a clear chest xray last year also.

Been to the GP 3 times now with the muscle pain and I did have a cough which touch wood has improved a little. GP puts it down to tension and just been again this evening and the same diagnosis given but she did not dismiss me going back if im still concerned, she said she isint.

This is all I can say right now so I know what you going through.

Sphincterclench
20-02-17, 19:39
Is there a chance it maybe just shoulder pain, torn muscle or something or is he doomed. :((

there is MANY things it could be, it was something else before and it could be something else again, if it lasts more than a couple weeks go see a Dr. explain your fears.

I was a smoker for 18 years, stopped 2 weeks ago.

Excellent news I am 2 days shy of 1 year since quitting a 30 year smoking habit

lily1
20-02-17, 19:57
there is MANY things it could be, it was something else before and it could be something else again, if it lasts more than a couple weeks go see a Dr. explain your fears.

Thank you..

The only thing I'm holding onto is he used to play rugby 20 years ago and injured his shoulder and he said he has had pain in scapula before and bursitis in the end part.

I think I'm panicking because he smoked for 30 years and also he says sometimes he feels tired.

Well done for quitting!

Kay8010
20-02-17, 19:57

Thanks. The GP is very proud and I am too to be honest. Well done to tou! How you feeling from not smoking?

lily1
20-02-17, 19:59
Hi

I was a smoker for 18 years, stopped 2 weeks ago. Ive had upper aching back pain for about 4 weeks now and I fear the same!

Ive had a clear chest xray last year also.

Been to the GP 3 times now with the muscle pain and I did have a cough which touch wood has improved a little. GP puts it down to tension and just been again this evening and the same diagnosis given but she did not dismiss me going back if im still concerned, she said she isint.

This is all I can say right now so I know what you going through.

Thank you for your input.
I think it's because he is now 50 and an ex smoker it concerns me especially as it's shoulder pain.

I'm glad youre doctor seems unconcerned I'm sure you're fine x

Kay8010
20-02-17, 20:39
I know :) but shoulder pain can be many a things and i kow its its easy to start panicking and immediately think its the worst, I know, i do it all the time.

I moved house mid Oct and my husband remindedme that i was complaining then about discomfort in my back left side

Let us know how you get on :) ex smoker is always good to read :)

Sphincterclench
20-02-17, 21:17
Thanks. The GP is very proud and I am too to be honest. Well done to tou! How you feeling from not smoking?

Honestly I am proud of myself for having stopped, and I know that my health must be better plus lower risks of things, but I could have done without the weight gain and hyper sensitive smell.

Sixpack
20-02-17, 21:33
. He had a clear X Ray last year but this doesn't show on X Ray usually.

My mother, my mother in law and a neighbor had chest X-rays that caught lung cancer. My mother's was stage 1, no symptoms. Mother in law stage 2, no symptoms. Neighbor stage 3-4 with substantial coughing issues that included coughing up blood.

Kay8010
20-02-17, 21:42
Honestly I am proud of myself for having stopped, and I know that my health must be better plus lower risks of things, but I could have done without the weight gain and hyper sensitive smell.

Tell me about it the weight gain phew lol! Yes I smell everything so much better i know its only 2 weeks for me but I do miss it lol

lily1
20-02-17, 21:57
My mother, my mother in law and a neighbor had chest X-rays that caught lung cancer. My mother's was stage 1, no symptoms. Mother in law stage 2, no symptoms. Neighbor stage 3-4 with substantial coughing issues that included coughing up blood.

Thank you for the information, and sorry to hear about your mum xx.
I'm just worried on what I've read online it's the type that grows at the top of the lungs called Pancoast tumour and it says in early stages it's not always seen on standard X Ray.

I hate HA as we always jump to the worst scenario 😞

Kay8010
20-02-17, 22:13
I have done so much research I cant tell you how much, why we do it, I dont know, drive myself silly! Ive read about Pancoast tumors and read the rare. We really shouldnt google but knowledge is good to have also, catch 22

Sixpack
20-02-17, 22:27
Thank you for the information, and sorry to hear about your mum xx.
I'm just worried on what I've read online it's the type that grows at the top of the lungs called Pancoast tumour and it says in early stages it's not always seen on standard X Ray.

I hate HA as we always jump to the worst scenario ��

Thanks. My mom beat lung cancer. They simply removed that third of the lung that had it. She passed from something completely unrelated. My mother in law finished treatment at the end of November. I believe she goes back for testing again in March.

Make no mistake I do not believe anyone posting on this forum has lung cancer based on any symptoms they are worried over. AND, well, HA peeps always latch onto the worst/scariest/hardest to dx disease. That is what HA peeps do. Doesn't mean they have it. It is the faulty thinking trap.

And, oh yes, HA peeps Google stuff way too much. The idea that "knowledge is good" really doesn't apply to HA peeps. HA peeps really are not seeing things clearly enough to draw good/coherent conclusions when googling. There is waaaay too much seeng things in a "confirmation bias" sort of way.

I wish all the people here who think they have lung cancer find lasting solace. I daresay it will not be through more medical testing though. Good luck and be well :)

PASchoolSyndrome
20-02-17, 22:34
Thanks. My mom beat lung cancer. They simply removed that third of the lung that had it. She passed from something completely unrelated. My mother in law finished treatment at the end of November. I believe she goes back for testing again in March.

Make no mistake I do not believe anyone posting on this forum has lung cancer based on any symptoms they are worried over. AND, well, HA peeps always latch onto the worst/scariest/hardest to dx disease. That is what HA peeps do. Doesn't mean they have it. It is the faulty thinking trap.

And, oh yes, HA peeps Google stuff way too much. The idea that "knowledge is good" really doesn't apply to HA peeps. HA peeps really are not seeing things clearly enough to draw good/coherent conclusions when googling. There is waaaay too much seeng things in a "confirmation bias" sort of way.

I wish all the people here who think they have lung cancer find lasting solace. I daresay it will not be through more medical testing though. Good luck and be well :)

Great post!

Kay8010
20-02-17, 22:39
Great post!

I agree :)

lily1
20-02-17, 23:24
Sixpack has great advice! Thank you. Xx

lily1
21-02-17, 14:29
I have done so much research I cant tell you how much, why we do it, I dont know, drive myself silly! Ive read about Pancoast tumors and read the rare. We really shouldnt google but knowledge is good to have also, catch 22

So you've read a bit about Pancoast rumours?
Did you say they are rare?

Kay8010
21-02-17, 14:38
I think my anxiety about lung cancer has stemmed from someone I very much liked & was getting close to (bless her) - go through it, I dont want to talk about symptoms as it makes me worse but I think this is where my fear has come from I guess, all the other anxieties have stemmed from my personal health issues which I genuinely did have & scared I get misdiagnosed like I did years ago i.e. PE's and DVT's....

I saw my GP yesterday and she gave me another prescription of Citralopram and wants to see me again in 5 weeks - she believes my upper back pain is muscular & tension - will see how I get on and try and take my mind of this for now as she suggested.

I hope your hubby's shoulder is better :)