PDA

View Full Version : putting two and two together is hard

PASchoolSyndrome
21-02-17, 13:25
Have you guys personally done this? I've seen it on this board so many times where someone has red in their saliva, worried about blood, but they hour before they had a red slushie and wondered if it could be from that and you're just like of like... Seriously?

Not to be disrespectful or picking on anyone, but it's so easy to see the proper addition when you're not the one going through that particular HA spiral.

So yesterday I woke up feeling like I got hit by a bus. My whole body hurt, I could hardly get out of bed. What concerned me the most one my throat hurt.. Like it hurt when I swallowed but it also hurt when I moved it back and forth, clearly musculoskeletal. But why? What happened? I couldn't even touch my chin to my chest! Meningitis.. am I up to date on my shots? What is wrong with me?

LOL after about a 15 minute freak out.. I remembered that the day before I went to the trampoline park and did a solid hour of jumping and playing trampoline games (we had a break from exams so me and my classmates decided to unleash our inner child)

Has anyone ever gone? What a work out, I'll tell you.

But just curious has anyone just had a hard time making 2+2 = 4? Man I sure felt silly!

Sphincterclench
21-02-17, 14:27
much like you when I am rational, its easy. When the HA spiral hits the magical thinking begins.

KeeKee
21-02-17, 14:49
Yes thought I had blood in my stool, then remembered I'd ate red pepper. No doubt there are countless more but can't remember now as my health anxiety is no longer at its peak.

As for that post exercise ache thing, reminds me of when I was using dumbbells the same night as when I cut my finger pretty deeply with a tin lid from the rubbish bin, I rang a number and was told to go to A&E with the lid being from a rubbish bag and got a tetanus shot. Woke up through the night and my upper arm was in agony, I was over the moon thinking it was from using my dumbbells and I'd had a proper workout, only to realise the next morning it was from my tetanus injection and only in the one arm haha. Thought I was a right hardcore weightlifter.

Fishmanpa
21-02-17, 14:49
Around here it's more like 2+2= 57! ;)

Positive thoughts

PASchoolSyndrome
21-02-17, 14:53
Right it's so easy to be rational when it's not you. Its equally frustrating and enlightening!

2+2 = 57 is extremely spot on!

TheDogMan
21-02-17, 15:05
I know exactly what you're saying, do it all the time, when the HA is at its A game all logic goes out the window.
As an example a few year ago i had chest pains one morning quite bad and i thought that was it. Even hurt when i moved my arms.
After worrying all day i remembered the 20 press ups a day challenge needed completing, which i started the day before... Go figure.:wacko:

beatroon
21-02-17, 15:50
Totally agree. It's impossible to be logical when you're in the grip of anxiety. I reallythink that should be listed as one of the symptoms: total irrationality!

ServerError
21-02-17, 16:24
What's the point of posting here if you don't want logical responses?

The fact that it's hard to be rational when it's happening to you doesn't alter the fact that you need to be exposed to rationality as much as possible. I know it's hard, but challenging your irrationality is important to learn.

PASchoolSyndrome
21-02-17, 17:05
Oh no, I'm not disagreeing with posting rational responses. Even tough love and non-sugarcoated when necessary.

I was just saying that it's hard to see the obvious rational when it's your turn in a spiral.

ServerError
21-02-17, 17:20
Oh no, I'm not disagreeing with posting rational responses. Even tough love and non-sugarcoated when necessary.

I was just saying that it's hard to see the obvious rational when it's your turn in a spiral.

Personally, I see it a little differently. For me, it's more a case of being able to see the rational, but flatly rejecting it because the anxious mind focus on the tiny uncertainties and unlikely but theoretically possible scary outcomes. It's almost as if people are scared to accept the rational, just in case they're wrong.

But in any case, whatever the reality of the situation, it can be treated and overcome. No spiral is too deep to say "enough is enough" and climb out of.

PASchoolSyndrome
21-02-17, 17:37
Personally, I see it a little differently. For me, it's more a case of being able to see the rational, but flatly rejecting it because the anxious mind focus on the tiny uncertainties and unlikely but theoretically possible scary outcomes. It's almost as if people are scared to accept the rational, just in case they're wrong.

But in any case, whatever the reality of the situation, it can be treated and overcome. No spiral is too deep to say "enough is enough" and climb out of.

Sure, I'd absolutely buy that! Makes quite a bit of sense!

pulisa
21-02-17, 19:47

I think some people may even feel anger when the rational is suggested because it normalises what to them feels very abnormal and maybe they feel that their situation is being over-simplified?

ServerError
21-02-17, 19:54
I think some people may even feel anger when the rational is suggested because it normalises what to them feels very abnormal and maybe they feel that their situation is being over-simplified?

Yeah, I buy that.

I guess, if you've already dismissed what the doctors and tests say, having someone tell you to believe those doctors and tests can be the last thing you want to hear.

Anxiety is complicated and simple at the same time. For me, there's a degree of choice involved. Nobody chooses to develop anxiety, and nor did I. But ultimately, you can choose how to move forward with it. Recovery is a choice.

PASchoolSyndrome
21-02-17, 20:08
It is a very complicated process that is simplified as "over thinking". This is a great discussion guys!

pulisa
21-02-17, 20:27
It is a very complicated process that is simplified as "over thinking". This is a great discussion guys!

I try to eliminate the complicated explanation and go for the simple one. I have always been advised to normalise anxiety symptoms as much as possible.

Yes recovery is a choice and we are so lucky to be in this position.

Sixpack
21-02-17, 20:50
Pretty good discussion :D

I agree so often people are on forums almost looking for someone to tell them they have X at the same time wanting to be told they don't have X. Then they refute either form answer they get. Often these threads go on for pages. So very hard to reach those in that mindset.

However my funny story happened last week. I work directly with people with disabilities. One fellow came back to the program after several weeks out. He had aspiration pneumonia and while hospitalized developed c. Diff. The rub is is that he is still "c diff active".. I don't work directly with him--ie I don't help him in the bathroom. There are three other staff who work with him. I work with only one individual in this program room. At any rate I had a BM last week that was quite loose. My first thought was C. Diff. lol. Yep I have had no contact with his feces and I had a split second thought.... Then I laughed it off.

My co-workers on the other hand DO have a legit reason to be a bit :scared15:

Fishmanpa
21-02-17, 21:01
Yes recovery is a choice and we are so lucky to be in this position.

I don't know how many times and in how many ways I've said that here. I've had no choice in dealing with the real life illnesses of myself and my wife.

With mental illness, you do have a choice and with hard work one can overcome it. You may feel you can't help thinking the way you do but you can help yourself by seeking help.

Positive thoughts