PDA

View Full Version : interactions

Barnabas75
22-02-17, 18:13
So a new Doctor wants me to try anafranil. I take pantoprazol and an anti histimine during spring. Is anyone else on anafranil that takes the same meds. Thanks

panic_down_under
22-02-17, 21:19
So a new Dostor wants me to try anafril.

A good choice, imho. Clomipramine is arguably the most potent non MAOI antidepressant on the market. It's a great pity that in the minds of many doctors it has become associated only with OCD.

I take pantoprazol and an anti histimine during spring. Is anyone else on anafril that takes the same meds. Thanks

There are no issues with pantoprazol and clomipramine is a fairly potent antihistamine, most of the TCAs are to some extent and some are more powerful antihistamines than the drugs sold as such, so you probably won't need to take anything else in spring.

Barnabas75
22-02-17, 21:37
Thanks PDU, I was hoping you would reply. So I saw a third doctor and he reckons I should start clomipramine. Its week 7 on Cipralex and I am still struggling to want to live. He said I should switch. He seems to think highly of clomipramine. This Doctor was not in favour of Venlafaxine at all. Maybe because of my symptoms. I am still anxious about starting it though and the start up effects. I have to stop Cipralex for 4 days before I start. I am just hoping its not to hard going as I cant take much more. I still wonder if I should give the Cipralex more time? Its now nearly seven weeks. Damn this is so frustrating and having so much to deal with in my personal life with ill parents I jsut want to be at even 6-7 out of 10 to help more. There really is no quick fix.

panic_down_under
23-02-17, 00:31
This Doctor was not in favour of Venlafaxine at all.

Not an antidepressant I recommend either. Despite it's classification as a SNRI it is really only a SSRI. Both fluoxetine (Prozac) and sertraline (Zoloft) are more potent noradrenaline, aka norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors. It is also less safe in overdose than the other SNRIs and SSRIs (except maybe citalopram and escitalopram with the emphasis on 'maybe'), and is notorious for being hard to quit.

I have to stop Cipralex for 4 days before I start. I am just hoping its not to hard going as I cant take much more.

A cross taper might have been better, however, it probably won't be as bad as you might be imagining it. But it could be if you talk yourself into it. An anxious mind is very capable of turning a molehill into a mountain of Everest proportions given half a chance.

I still wonder if I should give the Cipralex more time?

Maybe. Antidepressants typically take 3-12 weeks to kick-in, plus some of use need a substantial dose to get a response. That said, clomipramine is probably the better long-term bet.

MyNameIsTerry
23-02-17, 04:53
There is specific drug switching advice that states not to co administer this with SSRI's or Ven. Your doctor might be working from something similiar to this although in the UK one for GP's it doesn't mention the need for any washout period from what I can tell which suggests a stop-start may be possible.

Barnabas75
23-02-17, 11:46
Thanks Terry. He wants a 4 day window before I begin the new med. Hopefully that is enough and hopefully he knows what he is doing. One Doctor I saw wanted to change me to venlafaxine and one I saw last said anafaril. He said its safer in his words for severe depression and and anxiety. Havent had a full blown panic attack in a while. But it feels like one is always there hiding and just waiting for an opportunity to show itself.