PDA

View Full Version : Severely atypical mole

nicole97
22-02-17, 19:30
Recently I had a mole removed from near my shoulder. They called to tell me it came back as 'severely atypical' and I needed to have more margins removed. As soon as they said that, I'm pretty sure I broke into a sweat. So I went this morning to have the margins removed. They had the initial report and went over it with me and it said under comments "Early evolving melanoma-in-situ cannot be ruled out". Okay, now I'm TOTALLY freaking out. Yes I realize they just (most likely) removed the issue and that part is basically done, but they removed a couple other moles, so I'll be biting my fingers until those come back, plus I know this increases my overall risk. I have SOOO many moles and freckles. I would be really hard pressed to tell you if a new one popped up. I'm seriously scared right now.

ServerError
22-02-17, 19:35
I can completely understand that this is a scary situation. Hopefully the test results will be able to put your mind at rest. As you rightly say, the issue has been resolved, if it does indeed turn out to be nasty.

However, plenty of people have "severely atypical" moles removed that turn out to be nothing. This could well happen to you.

PASchoolSyndrome
22-02-17, 20:11
I really hope that the test results come back negative!

If it makes you feel any better, I had a biopsy and needed to be called back in to remove all of the margins and down deep. It was in my hair part and they assured me my hair would grow back.

Long story short - just an extra precaution for a totally benign process and I accept my bald spot now :laugh:

nicole97
22-02-17, 20:25
Thank you, both of you. PA, you must have had some atypia going on then too huh? yeah I will take a bald spot over something more serious, but it does suck that it didn't grow back!

Fishmanpa
22-02-17, 20:39
It's certainly understandable to be a bit freaked but I have to say you're attitude is much better than looking at the darkside of things ;) They caught it and it's being dealt with AND, you'll be followed up with on a regular basis.

Positive thoughts

nicole97
22-02-17, 21:00
I am trying, I really am. I am not going to lie and say I didn't cry through the excision because it freaked me out so much, but I'm doing okay for the moment.

PASchoolSyndrome
22-02-17, 21:37
And we all really hope you'll be okay in the long run. Which we all know you will be (:

nicole97
23-02-17, 03:55
I really hope so because I'm starting to feel like I won't be. :-(

PASchoolSyndrome
23-02-17, 04:10
Well waiting for test results is a very nerve racking time.. They take so long sometimes! Fishman is right, it's being dealt with and if anything is off it's been caught/taken care of early.

In the meantime try and get out a little or spend some times with loved ones! I bet they'll help your mind get over it enough to make it to that "it's nothing!" phone call. (:

NancyW
23-02-17, 04:17
I really hope so because I'm starting to feel like I won't be. :-(

You're not going to get beyond this until you get the pathology report but...

My niece had the same it was under her breast, it took a bit to heal because of the location but she never had an issue again.

A friend of mine had a melanoma on her forearm, she too is fine.

Another friend was on her husband for several years to get "this ugly black mole" looked at, he brushed her off time and time again. When he finally went, it was too late.

So, bad things do happen but I don't believe they happen when found as early as yours.

nicole97
23-02-17, 12:05
Thanks everyone. I know the one they removed has been there for a couple years. For whatever reason it was catching my eye lately, no change to it or anything. Scares me to think that maybe there are others exhibiting no change that are actually bad. One of the ones they removed at the same time was a super dark one on my back. I have shown several dermatologists that one and none were concerned, only commented that it was darker than the rest. Now I am freaking out that maybe it was something festering. :(

ServerError
23-02-17, 12:13
The thing about melanomas is, they're pretty distinctive (don't Google them!). Dermatologists, and in some cases even GPs, can often see it - although even then it can turn out not to be melanoma after biopsy.

But the thing is, in order to be on the safe side, any mole or lesion that stands out will be given further examination. There is still a good chance it's going to turn out to be nothing.

PASchoolSyndrome
23-02-17, 14:30
If it hasn't changed then it's a really good sign! And even though melanoma forming out of a preexisting mole is actually very very rare, doctor's still like to remove them because why give it that chance!

Much good thoughts sent your way!

nicole97
23-02-17, 18:17
I just keep focusing on the one on my back that they removed at the same appointment. It was perfectly round, had it for a long time, hadn't changed or anything, but VERY dark compared to the rest. Derms have looked at it before and said it looked fine, but I think this one knew I was kind of anxious about it and removed it. Now I keep thinking, what if that HAS been something this whole time and no one paid any attention? I'm keeping positive thoughts with the excision. They got it out, they got it out, they got it out. It's gone. Now that back one....

---------- Post added at 12:17 ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 ----------

I have heard about it being rare to form in a pre-existing mole. Hopefully that will apply here... Man I hate HA.

Fishmanpa
23-02-17, 18:21
The thing is, despite what anyone says here and despite that the reports are actually encouraging, you're focused on the negative and until you get the all clear, it's going to be difficult to offer any real reassurance and difficult for your mind to relax.

I'll just wait to hear the good news and offer a "Told ya so" :)

Positive thoughts

Loulou150
23-02-17, 19:21
I could of written your post myself
Going through the exact same thing and so scared my atypical spitz has been sent for a second opinion and I will need a wider incision so hard to not let the dark thoughts run away with you.

---------- Post added at 18:50 ---------- Previous post was at 18:48 ----------

My health anxiety is through the roof ��

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 18:50 ----------

I'm in to see the dermatologist tomorrow
Hope all works out well for you x

nicole97
23-02-17, 21:36
Fishmanpa, if (when - I'm trying) the time comes, I will HAPPILY take your "Told ya so!"

Loulou150, where was your mole if I may ask? What was the first opinion? The one they took the larger margin on was on that top space between your shoulder and neck. I do have to say, this being the day after, I don't have any kind of pain where they took it. So that is kind of nice. I was expecting it to be kind of sore.

Loulou150
23-02-17, 21:54
It was on my lower abdo. It was so tiny about 2mm width and very circular. What worried me was it was dark.
GPS told me we would observe. I insisted it was removed. Dermatologist said it looked fine. I didn't think any more of it after removal until hey ho abnormal histology. It's very superficial but atypical cells. First diagnosis is a spitz navei but second opinion sought as difficult under microscope to see that or mm.

I'm terrified it's been such a shock and one of my worst health anxieties is this.

Trying my best to stay calm and positive

nicole97
23-02-17, 22:33
That is how the one on my back is. Might have been 3 mm, but small, very round, uniform in color, but very dark color. If they saw spitz the first time, then I'm sure that's what they will find! Will you find out tomorrow?

Loulou150
23-02-17, 22:40
Yes I should receive second result tomorrow .
I'm scared the second result may be worse as it was sent for second opinion as so atypical. It will need a wider incision regardless as was just a punch biopsy so will need to ensure larger margins clear. From what I've read treatment the same. It's so hard to not over analyse all the other moles I have. I also have been googling and scared myself so much ��

nicole97
23-02-17, 22:47
I'm right there with you. I have so many, I feel like I wouldn't know if a new one popped up. The one that came up severely atypical wasn't really that alarming, just kept catching my eye, but nothing spectacular about it. So now I worry about what else I might be missing, or, like I said, did I wait too long for the one on my back that no one was worried about? UGH!

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:43 ----------

Please update and let me know how it goes tomorrow!

Loulou150
23-02-17, 23:10
Will do for sure. Sorry to jump.on your post, it's just so similar. Mine is severely atypical and borderline hence second opinion. It's been 6 weeks since removal. I came on here instead of googling it all again.

nicole97
24-02-17, 04:06
No worries! I completely understand! Google stories scare me more. I take some comfort from others who have gone through or are going through something similar. People I can actually talk to.

NancyW
24-02-17, 04:35
Nicole... no mohs procedure?

nicole97
24-02-17, 11:21
No, they did the wide local. They said mohs is more used for basal cell since the idea with that is not to disfigure. With any hint of melanoma, they just want to be rid of all of it.

---------- Post added at 05:21 ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 ----------

I seriously woke up in a panic thinking they are going to be giving me very bad news about my back. :-(

Loulou150
24-02-17, 15:59
So my appt today got cancelled as Dr didn't turn up so got to wait for it to be rearranged to see consultant dermatologist. As yet I haven't seen one it's been gp and nurse for biopsy. My anxiety wasn't helped by my abnormal result coming through the post and as yet had no counselling. I know from my own research an atypical spitz tumour is hard to determine as looks like melanoma so second opinion needed. Unsure if that's back yet. TerrifI'd second opinion will be worse. ��

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

They will deformation do a wide incision regardless as needed for the abnormal spitz anyway. Was hoping I could have other moles reviewed and reassure me a little as been crippled by several health anxiety all week.

NancyW
24-02-17, 16:50
What does "spitz" mean?

nicole97
24-02-17, 19:10
Lou, the doctor didn't show up? That's terrible! Surely a nurse could have give you some information? do you know when you'll have the wide incision?

Nancy, spitz on a mole means it looks like a melanoma, even acts like one, going through periods of growth and change, but ends up being benign. They can be hard to tell apart.

Glad you guys were on here, was starting to get that panicky 'oh my, I know it's going to be bad' feeling going.

Loulou150
24-02-17, 21:13
Oh yes I know that feeling! So up and down. Rational and aware this not the worst news but worried sick about the implications for the future too. I feel so up and down and hard not to let the anxiety take over. They phoned an hour before so have rearranged me for Wednesday.

---------- Post added at 21:13 ---------- Previous post was at 21:09 ----------

Right now freaking out about 2nd opinion being worse news and what else may end up happening. Are you feeling any better? What now happens for you?

lofwyr
24-02-17, 21:44
I know the fear you are experiencing very well. My doctor found a mole, and it looked bad. He thought it could be nodular melanoma, the worst of the worst. They account for most melanoma fatalities. I was mortified, and for the only time in the past 13 year I googled.

It looked EXACTLY like one pic after another of invairably fatal nodular melanomas. I was basically ready to write my will. The doctor thought it was bad, I thought it was bad.

And it was, as you might have guessed, totally benign. They had no explanation, no way of telling me what the heck it actually was, they basically shrugged and said we have no idea, but it isn't cancer.

I took that and ran with it. Sadly, like you I am covered in moles. So it my mom, and she is 77 with no melanomas. I am hoping for her luck.

nicole97
25-02-17, 01:45
Lou, I don't think the second opinion will be worse, it will probably be the same. But you are having the excision so it should be all good. Just makes me panic for how aware I'll have to be my whole life and what if I miss something? I am not sure what the next step is, still waiting on my biopsy results. After I get those they want me to go get another full body check.

Lofwyr, omg, nodular melanoma.... eek! I would have been hyperventilating for sure!! So glad it ended up benign!

Loulou150
25-02-17, 08:00
Thanks I hope so. It's hard trying to reprogram your thoughts! For both of us we could of had much worse news. However as this is the first mole I've ever had off its so hard not to over analyse the others! When have they told you to expect the results?

nicole97
25-02-17, 09:02
The last time it took about a week, so hopefully be Wednesday. I have to keep shoving down my panic. It just keeps bubbling up, makes it hard to breathe.

Loulou150
25-02-17, 09:05
Yes me too I'm finding rescue remedy and some you tube meditation helps. X

nicole97
25-02-17, 09:59
Rescue remedy?

Loulou150
25-02-17, 22:00
It's a homeopathy remedy for anxiety
Put few drops in water and sip throughout the day

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

Amazon

nicole97
26-02-17, 07:53
I'll have to check that out. I keep feeling the anxiety trying to take over. It is exhausting but I AM still freaked out a bit.

Loulou150
26-02-17, 13:31
It's awful isn't it. I'm so up and down. Today is a bad day over thinking everything, yesterday I wasn't too bad. I wish I could control it. I just need to see a doctor as yet the only info I go have had is off Google! Not good I know but needed to understand what they had diagnosed it as. Need my other moles reviewed too as that hadn't happened yet either.

lofwyr
26-02-17, 15:19
Weekends are the worst for me when I have some sort of real or imaginary impending health crisis. I work at home, so that environment never changes. So you wait, no lab or doctor's office can call you, no one you can call, all closed. It feels somehow like an injustice that we are trapped with our anxiety while the world has the audacity to move on around us. We feel like it has stopped progressing until we get the relief we need, or hear the words our anxious brain expects us to hear.

I know how you felt. My mole was removed four days before going on a trip to England with my wife, and its shadow was ruining the entire event. Then the nurse called as we were on our way to the airport, letting me hear the word "benign" (she knew I was off to Europe and as such took a special moment out of her day to let me know, which was so sweet in this day and age of big medicine).

I know how freaked out you are, and also, I am covered in damn moles. But even the weirdest, oddest of moles can stump a doctor. My doctor really thought mine was bad (I won't give trigger details) but when the doc is worried, I let my HA run wild. I was googling experimental treatment options. I wasted hours and hours that week fretting over it when I could have been planning for my trip and enjoying that anticipation.

Just because it seems off, doesn't mean the worst. And even if it IS the worst, that doesn't mean it is that bad either. I know several people who have had melanoma, all of them had it removed surgically, no spread at all. I don't personally know of anyone who has actually died from skin cancer, and it is super common as far as cancer goes. I am not saying it isn't serious, and that it can't be bad, but the worst case scenario sounds to me like (if it was even cancer) they got it early and it is gone, really. But I strongly suspect you will hear the word "benign" in your future soon. If it was bad, most doctor's offices reach out to you earlier.

Loulou150
26-02-17, 19:15
I really appreciate your reply and I know your points are valid and sensible! HA is the pits. I hope myself and Nicole will feel much better in the coming weeks once we get some news. It's the waiting and what ifs that are the worst bit. At the moment I'm wonderring if this anxiety about my other moles will ever go away, even if this does turn out to be a scare.

nicole97
26-02-17, 20:10
Thank you, all of you! You guys are really helping me with this. This HA is such a pain! I try to be rational about it but the HA takes over sometimes. I do hope both Lou and I hear good news soon. This waiting is agonizing. More and more of the stories I read involve excision and that's basically the end of it, but you know HA doesn't stop there, only focuses on the really bad stories! I'm trying. Day by day.

PASchoolSyndrome
26-02-17, 20:52
That's the best you can do sometimes, just take it day by day! You're absolutely right, sometimes our mind refuses to focus on the countless good stories but just focus on the maybe one bad one.

Day by day! Try to do something each day if you can, rent or go see a movie after work, meet someone out for dinner/drinks! Sometimes I'll watch feel good disney movies and it'll just help me get it out even for that 2 hours!

nicole97
27-02-17, 12:01
That was a great idea! I sat down yesterday with my youngest and watched movies with her. The harder parts are when I first wake up, usually a huge wave of panic comes and then when I am at work, because I have way too much time to let my mind wander. That is where I usually get the most panicked. I just know when that number finally calls me back I am going to be between wanting to throw up and not answer and then rushing to answer all at the same time.

NancyW
27-02-17, 12:59
When do you expect to hear Nicole?

nicole97
27-02-17, 13:48
They said usually 7-10 days. Just had it done Wednesday. The severely atypical one took a full week before I heard. The others took 4-5 days. I'm trying to keep myself from panicking by reminding myself that they have a lot more to look at this time with the excision too.

nicole97
27-02-17, 20:48
Update: Guess this is pretty good news. The one taken from my arm, totally benign (yay!). The one they did the excision on has completely clear margins, no issues there. The one on my lower back that I was worried about came back as moderately atypical, so I do have to go back for another excision on that one, but that one wasn't as atypical as the one on the shoulder, so I guess that's good. Going to suck a bit as it's right on my spine. I have two others I want to have looked at, but they have no changed in a long time, so hopefully those should just be regular atypical or nothing at all. I know this means I'll have to keep a very close eye on things since I seem to be prone to these. Feels like a daunting task with having so many. I am going to schedule another full body check like derm that did the excision suggested. I have one scheduled for June, but she thinks I should go sooner just as precaution.

Alright Lou, now we need to hear your update, hopefully soon!!!

Fishmanpa
27-02-17, 20:52
Update: Guess this is pretty good news. The one taken from my arm, totally benign (yay!). The one they did the excision on has completely clear margins, no issues there. The one on my lower back that I was worried about came back as moderately atypical, so I do have to go back for another excision on that one, but that one wasn't as atypical as the one on the shoulder, so I guess that's good. Going to suck a bit as it's right on my spine. I have two others I want to have looked at, but they have no changed in a long time, so hopefully those should just be regular atypical or nothing at all. I know this means I'll have to keep a very close eye on things since I seem to be prone to these. Feels like a daunting task with having so many. I am going to schedule another full body check like derm that did the excision suggested. I have one scheduled for June, but she thinks I should go sooner just as precaution.

Alright Lou, now we need to hear your update, hopefully soon!!!

This is totally good news and still deserves a "Told ya so" ;) Like I said, they're on it and will keep a close eye on things.

Positive thoughts

Toaster
27-02-17, 20:54
That's great news in my opinion.

Remember that all of this is preventative. The fact that they are removing several is all to make the already small chances smaller. I personally don't even know anyone that has had a mole removed. Maybe its just where I live. Pennsylvania doesn't get much sun.

As for your first mole. The scary one. Its good to get that off your body. Doctors always err on the side of caution. I've had blood tests, ultrasounds, scans that "couldn't rule out [insert disease here]."

NancyW
27-02-17, 20:57
I'm feeling like all of this falls in the... prevention category, not treatment category... and that is very good news :-)

PASchoolSyndrome
27-02-17, 21:57
Yay good news!!!

GlassPinata
27-02-17, 23:54
Terrific news, congratulations! :)
I thought you handled the whole thing very bravely, much better than i would've done.

:hugs:

Loulou150
28-02-17, 07:03
I'm so pleased for you and totally agree it all sounds preventative and it's so reassuring that they seem totally on it! Your one step ahead with regular checks now. Fabulous news. I have an appointment scheduled tomorrow for my results so I will update you after that �� positive thoughts! ��

Loulou150
28-02-17, 16:27
Ahhhhhhh this wait for my second opinion is the worst.............it's been 6 weeks since my mole was removed. I'm seriously struggling with these thoughts today

---------- Post added at 16:27 ---------- Previous post was at 16:26 ----------

I know it's abnormal waiting for opinion on just how abnormal it is.......

nicole97
28-02-17, 20:29
Fishmanpa, I totally deserve the I told ya so! And I happily take it! My only concern now is the excision for the other one. It's almost right over my spine. I know how much skin they took for the shoulder one (yes, I looked at it in the jar) and I can't imagine they can get that deep over my spine can they?

Lou, I'm anxiously awaiting your news!!! You've got this! You are handling it better than me. 6 weeks is a long stinking time. I would have gone nuts waiting that long.

Everyone else, thank you!! One step at a time! I have a few more I am a little concerned about - not that I think they are anything right now, just look like they could be in the future. I'll be scheduling another full body check.

Loulou150
01-03-17, 14:30
Soooooo 6 weeks and still no second opinion back. However 1st diagnosis as I've mentioned is spitz the slides were stained for melanoma and appeared clear hence diagnosis second opinion is to be 100 sure as need to get it right because they can look so similar. Dr was nice had a mole check others seem OK just a waiting game.........

NancyW
01-03-17, 15:15
Soooooo 6 weeks and still no second opinion back. However 1st diagnosis as I've mentioned is spitz the slides were stained for melanoma and appeared clear hence diagnosis second opinion is to be 100 sure as need to get it right because they can look so similar. Dr was nice had a mole check others seem OK just a waiting game.........

I'm lost now, who's thread is this Loulou's or Nicole's ?

Loulou150
01-03-17, 16:44
It's nicoles but she asked me to let her know how I got on

nicole97
02-03-17, 15:29
Lou,

So far so good it seems then! I feel like I'm always going to be on edge now waiting for some new mole or some change.

nicole97
04-03-17, 07:32
Just started feeling panicked again for really no reason. Just feeling like I am going to miss something with all these moles or something is going to spread without me knowing. It's freaky to think about.

NancyW
04-03-17, 12:32
Nicole would it help if you scheduled a regular full body check with your dermatologist?

I know some that go every 6 months, or every year.

nicole97
04-03-17, 19:39
I have on scheduled for Tuesday as they told me when they excised the on on my shoulder that since it came back as severe, I should get one soon. Now it is a lot of anxiety about what they will find now. I have one or two I want them to look at at, which means they will probably remove them. That means more anxiety waiting on the phone call. Ugh.

nicole97
06-03-17, 11:55
I have another full body scan tomorrow. I am very nervous about anything they remove now. The last two had to have more cut out. I'm scared that the next one won't be so easy.

NancyW
06-03-17, 13:00
Sounds like they are being extra cautious and that's a good thing, please try to think of it as you're being very well taken care of. :-)

nicole97
06-03-17, 14:47
I am trying. I am figuring that nothing on my body is changing (that I know of) and this is just precaution and anything found will be found early, but my mind just...well, you know how it is. Having the last couple come back as irregular just makes me so nervous for how the next ones will come back. Not to mention how watchful I have to be in the future. IF more come back as moderately or severely atypical (or worse), then it will serve to increase my vigilance even more and what if I miss something? :(

nicole97
07-03-17, 15:46
I had my full body scan today. She wasn't concerned about anything but did freeze one seborrheic keratosis, which I am okay with. It was an ugly one. I think she was concerned that it might block something underneath. She did upgrade (or downgrade?) me to visits every 3 months instead of every year due to the fact that they couldn't rule out melanoma. Tomorrow morning I go to get the stitches out of my shoulder and get more taken out of my back. Yay.

Loulou150
07-03-17, 17:40
Hi Nicole hope your doing well. My second opinion came back agreeing on the atypical spitz and as unknown potential they will take a wider margin although the said the staining and testing for melanoma were negative. As with yours more a precaution. I'm feeling much better anxiety wise although inevitably will worry about others I know our news could have been much worse. It's that keeping me sane! I will say it's changed me I will be super vigilant and safe in the sun ��

nicole97
07-03-17, 18:10
yes I definitely have much less anxiety when they just take the wider margins. I don't care about scars or anything like that, just take it out, give me one less thing to worry about. I will say, my anxiety is a little raised about the freezing of the seborrheic keratosis, because I'm thinking, what if it wasn't? What if it's something and they are mistaken in identifying? I'm trying to keep in mind that at least 4 different derms have seen it and said it was definitely seborrheic keratosis, but still have that nagging what if....

Loulou150
07-03-17, 18:35
It's horrible the tricks our minds play on us but different experts all agreeing on the diagnosis is reassuring and you know well any concerns they would be on it! Hope it all goes well for you at least you will have the regular checks. My Dr said I don't need them but I'll be going for a yearly check privately now!

---------- Post added at 18:35 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

I'm now worried they won't see me regularly! Wish they would

nicole97
07-03-17, 18:59
If I were you, I definitely would go yearly too! Having an atypical to me makes it necessary to at least do a yearly. That really isn't expecting much at all. Not sure why your doctor wouldn't agree to a yearly.