PDA

View Full Version : No help from nhs

clarrebonn
22-02-17, 19:38
Hi, I've been a lurker in this forum looking for like minded people to not feel so alone in this and today have decided to post for the first time.

For the past few years I have suffered on and off with depression, anxiety and panic attacks. I was previously on citalopram and propranolol for this but weaned myself off both of these about a year and a half ago as at the time I was seeing a counsellor referred by nhs and also doing cbt. Since then I have moments of feeling like I've beaten this znd have also struggled through for the past few months not wanting to admit that slowly through trying to ignore it my anxiety and depression has creeper up again. This came to a head last Thursday at work where I had a meltdown started crying and got sent home, I haven't been back since....so today since its my 5th working day off and I feel I'm no where near being ready to return I decided to build up a lot of courage to see the gp. I didn't really know what to say but tried to explain as best I could and I asked if it would be possible to see the counsellor again as this helped last time and also explained why I felt I wasn't ready to return to work tomorrow. I was told by the gp they don't offer that service anymore and to basically pull myself together and get back to work. I left crying very upset as I don't have a support system of friends and family so gp was my last resort to feel understood but I felt like I was talking to a brick wall. I called back the Dr's and another dr called me back and said the best they could do would be to give me another appointment on Friday with the same gp I saw today! I feel so frustrated and am panicking as I know I need a dick note to be off work tomorrow but they are refusing this and seem to think I just don't like my job. They don't understand this depression and anxiety cripples me on a daily basis not just at work. I feel so helpless right now.

---------- Post added at 19:38 ---------- Previous post was at 19:34 ----------

Sorry I meant to write sick note not what's written above lol

Bill
23-02-17, 04:22
Hopefully others here will have been in your situation and can offer advice but my feeling is if you attempt to go back to work you'll have another meltdown and be sent home again so if it were me, I'd be back on at the surgery and insist on seeing another doctor. If they refuse, I'd then ask to speak to the manager of the surgery and repeat to them how this doctor treated you because especially in your vulnerable state and previous history, they should be more sympathetic and offering something to help you, even if it was temporary medication to ease your anxiety levels.
Sadly sometimes you just have to keep shouting until someone listens and does something to help.

MyNameIsTerry
23-02-17, 04:57
Hopefully others here will have been in your situation and can offer advice but my feeling is if you attempt to go back to work you'll have another meltdown and be sent home again so if it were me, I'd be back on at the surgery and insist on seeing another doctor. If they refuse, I'd then ask to speak to the manager of the surgery and repeat to them how this doctor treated you because especially in your vulnerable state and previous history, they should be more sympathetic and offering something to help you, even if it was temporary medication to ease your anxiety levels.
Sadly sometimes you just have to keep shouting until someone listens and does something to help.

I agree with Bill. It seems they have offered you nothing to help your anxiety but there are clear NHS & NICE guidelines stating what they should be doing.

Are In you in England? I ask because there are ways to check if that counselling service is still available. They should be everywhere so I smell a fob off here and it's easy to prove which will add to your case of poor treatment.