PDA

View Full Version : COPD worry - why cant I trust my doctor?

Peony
23-02-17, 03:40
Anyone else have difficulty trusting your doctors?

I was hospitalised for pneumonia 2 months ago and since then I've had another chest infection. Since the pneumonia I've had constant shortness of breath which has really ramped up in the last few weeks.

My chest CT a week ago was normal, all bloods have come back ok and my doctor is putting it down to my anxiety.

I'm particularly paranoid about COPD at the moment despite being a non smoker and in my 30's. I am asthmatic tho and suffer frequent chest infections and a few stays in hospital for pneunomia (in the last 2 years) now.

My doctor said that 99% of COPD sufferers are/were smokers, and while others have a defective gene which can cause COPD in young non smoking people, because I'm not coughing up a load of mucous and haven't had a consistent cough for 3 months, he isn't concerned about that.

But I still feel like I can't breath and am coughing up small amounts of light coloured mucous. This morning was particularly bad with coughing.

Why can't my brain believe what my doctor is telling me, and why do I always feel like it (and dr Google) knows better.

Anyone have any COPD anxieties? This feeling like I can't breath is horrible :weep:

And please be kind here ... I'm new :)

Chris 614
23-02-17, 04:42
First of all, you need to trust your doctor. He has been thorough. Your chest CT was clear. That's all good.

Second of all, you have had pneumonia and a chest infection in the past two months. And the pneumonia was bad enough that you needed to be hospitalized! Give yourself a break! Your poor body is still recovering. It is very common to have a cough that hangs on for awhile after being sick. My mom had pneumonia in November and was hospitalized for several days. Within the past couple of weeks her cough finally went away. Yes, she is much older than you, but still, the cough dragged on.

I suspect that your anxiety is playing a big part in your feeling like you can't breathe well. When I am anxious, I get out of breath doing any kind of activity... When I am calm I don't. Well, strenuous activities will have me huffing and puffing, but that's because I'm out of shape! Still, there is a very noticeable difference between calm and anxious.

I hope you will give himself a worry break and trust your doctor. Everything you are experiencing sounds normal.

swajj
23-02-17, 07:02
Another fear shared by most HA sufferers. Lung disease.

You are very young and even if you were a smoker I seriously doubt that you would have smoking related COPD.

Regardless of who you are or what you've done your lung capacity decreases as you age.