PDA

View Full Version : just had a phone call

angiebaby
20-04-07, 19:37
The NHS have just rang me to give me an appointment for a mobile MRI unit for 5th may for brain and neck scan. Parked on the hospital carpark, i've got images of a static caravan, i'm taking a packed lunch and a flask to make a day of it. lol. Only kidding. I'm pleased that it's not far away but am also scared. I know it won't hurt me or anything, it's just the lying still for so long that will panic me.. But it has to be done and i'm not having the dye i know, but i'm still scared. I'm also scared of them finding something too. Still at least i will know then one way or another. Will let you know anyway.

beadbabe
20-04-07, 19:56
Hi angie
Are you the same person from the heart palps forum?
what are you having your mri for if you don't mind me asking?
I had one about a year ago and they are nothing to worry about. You might be able to take a favourite CD along to listen to - when I had mine I didn't know i could do that but they cheered me up by piping Robbie Williams through the loudspeakers to try to drown out the noise of the machine!
It's okay - it's not too bad haivng a scan.

angiebaby
20-04-07, 20:23
Hi, yep, i am one in the same!!
Been having very bad dizziness, walking in the walls and can't walk through a door without hitting the frame. Head feels like it's swimming most of the time, mostly when i move, bp fine. Feels like my brain and my eyes are loose and they are rolling around. Think i may have Chiari malformation, problem with neck and bottom of brain. Also ears cut off and have tinitus. I have a lot of neck and back pain and my neck xray shows a curvature. So neurologist has booked me a head and neck scan to check what's going on and to see if i have Chiari malformation. How are you doing anyway. I'm not really scared of having it done, the actual thing, but it's lying still for so long, never used to bother me, but does now. And i know that they are noisy, i think that may help me anyway, but lying still and scared of what they will fine i suppose!

beadbabe
21-04-07, 21:47
Well I can sympathise with you on that one. I have dizziness most of the time and that makes me ill, esp now combined with ectopic hearbeat.

anyway 10 years ago they queried me as having possible MS so when all this reared its head again 18months ago I was in for a scan and expecting it to be confirmed as MS. Instead I am told it is anxiety. Despite having an eye problem that is neurological in origin (not anxiety-related) So I can sympathise with how scary it is to lie there worrying. But I suppose worrying won't change what they find.

I hope it is not what they think (although I don't know anything about it at all). Perhaps your dizziness wil turn out to be anxiety like mine, although I do find it hard to believe that it could be caused by worrying. IT may turn out to be symptoms of anxiet, some of it.

I hpe you get a diagnosis sooner rathr than later so you know what you need confront or work on! Best of luck

beadbabe
21-04-07, 21:48
forgot to say - the first time I had an mri scan and the second time, they have a little buzzer you can ring if you panic and they will stop for you to calm down, because they like you to lie very still to get the clearest picture.
yes, i did ring the buzzer both times :)

beadbabe
04-05-07, 09:37
Best of luck with your scan tomorrow!
Beadbabe

angiebaby
04-05-07, 10:37
Thanks hun, getting really nervous about it now. Not having a good day today so far, really on edge and wound up. Woke up feeling really scared and unreal and just really scared, don't know why. Feeling bad at the moment.x

beadbabe
04-05-07, 11:23
Not surprising you feel awful as the lead up to these sort of tests is stressful. there is a lot riding for it for people like us - you know, will they finally find out what is wrong. Will finding out make it better? Or will finding out nothing is terribly wrong make it better? Once they know what is wrong will there be a cure? Or a tablet that makes it better? Well if it is anxiety, I have found that even after the test you can spend a long time trying to believe in the results. so whatever it comes up with your worries are probably around for a few days - a sort of hangover effect.

I had a friend here this morniing and she says she has an 'anxiety hangover' for any social events. so it starts before and last afterwards too.

I hope all goes well for you and if you want to talk you know where I am. I hope it is nothing or at best nothing serious!

x

groovygranny
04-05-07, 11:37
Hi angiebaby.

AS beadebabe says there's nothing worse than the lead up to these things - and and sometimes that's the worst bit, but we don't find that out until after the event!:huh:

I have two friends who have just undergone an MRI scan........both were very nervous and on edge but only one used the 'button' - and then carried on.

I think it's absolutely normal to feel nervous and anxious at this sort of thing, even for those who don't usually suffer with anxiety or panic.

I hope you get on ok tomorrow - we'll be thinking of you and sending positive NMP 'vibes' !!

Do let us know how you get on.

:flowers::flowers:

angiebaby
04-05-07, 12:20
Thankyou so much for your words of encouragement. The test itself and actually going for the test does not worry me, it is the lying still for 30 minutes that's on my mind. Since i have been ill, i find that lying or sitting still makes me worse, you think things and feel things then your mind runs away with you! LOL. As for the hangover effect, i am wondering if that is what i have got today. Had quite a busy week even though i've been off work with a shoulder pull, and thought that i had done really well. Things like living with the high pulse rate, which is a big worry for me and of course the ectopics. Dizziness hasn't been too bad but i have suffered with the unreality. But when i woke up this morning my heart rate was up and i felt all shaky, could be the event's hangover i suppose. Then you start don't you, worried to get up, don't know how you are going to do it and get dressed and can't believe that you are going downstairs and what happens when you get downstairs, that sort of stupid stuff!! But i came down and got straight on here and played the games. Feeling a bit better now but feel as if i could 'go' at any second if that makes sense. It makes me feel so silly because i know there's nothing to be scared of but can't do anything about it. Horrible feelings that we all have and have to deal with. And it makes it harder for me i suppose because i can't accept them, i don't want this and i want to be back to how i used to be and because i can't, i think i fight and of course this makes things worse. I think that when i get the MRI results, probably in about two months time knowing the NHS, lol, i will be better as at the moment it is hanging over my head. I have been referred for a barium meal, another two months wait probably, something else hanging over me. But when all these tests are over and done with at least i will know one way or the other.
If it all turns out to be anxiety/PTSD/depression, then at least i will know and will then have to deal with it appropriatly. I can have my counselling and therapy, can't have that until they find out if i have something nasty or not. Then maybe review the situation for medication and things.
I really appreciate you all remembering that i have my MRI tomorrow, makes me feel a lot better knowing that i am not alone. My hubby will be with me and my mum is having the kids for me.
I will let you all know how i get on and of course will update you on the results when i get them. The scan is at 12.40 and i have to be there 20 minutes before. I will be on the table for 30 minutes and i may be able to have a break inbetween while they change the coil!
If they rule everything out then i will HAVE to accept that all the strange feelings and things that i get are all in my mind and once this is proved, i think that i will be able to accept that and then when it happens i will have some bargaining tool to talk myself round.
Thanks again.x