PDA

View Full Version : Can't seem to stop thinking in words.

LiveAboveIt
23-02-17, 14:24
Its as if I'm having a conversation with myself in my head, as you would when you nervously anticipate a conversation and think about what you will say, but every thought that comes in my mind feels forcibly spoken in the same way. It feels very similar to speaking with your lips when reading something, like subvocalization without actual lip or tongue movement.

Its difficult to explain, but I cant seem to stop doing thiso. It doesnt feel like something I am choosing to do, I cant really seem to help it.

I'm not sure if this is another symptom of anxiety, GAD or something on the OCD spectrum, but I was curious if anyone else has experienced or heard about this.

Fear-Not
28-02-17, 11:32
Hey - I wouldn't worry too much about this. The way we process thoughts is bound to vary enormously. I often process the world like a running commentary but I don;t know if this is common either. I don't think there is any wrong way to allow thoughts and words to run through your mind! x

MOchp
28-02-17, 15:27
I can relate. I seem to always argue with my negative thoughts in my head when I'm anxious. Trying to say the opposite of what they are trying to have me believe. It's pretty normal I believe. Especially since folks with anxiety like us tend to 'live in our own heads' a lot.

LiveAboveIt
02-03-17, 15:50
Thank you for the reassurance!

SLA
02-03-17, 15:58
There are varying levels of consiousness, and they sometimes produce conflicting arguements.

Which is why someone with Health Anxiety will say....

"I automatically assume the worst, and I don't want to worry anymore."

This implies that part of them assumes the worst, and part of them doesn't want to think like that.

Internal dialogue is completely normal, and I do it all the time.

MOchp
02-03-17, 17:36
I mean since we are on the subject, I have imaginary arguments and act out imaginary scene dialogue in my head all the time. Haha

Shazamataz
02-03-17, 19:31
My thoughts are like an internal dialogue as well. I think this is completely normal. Sometimes they come out out loud when they shouldn't!