PDA

View Full Version : Elevated red blood cell count

wendy28
23-02-17, 16:08
Hi I've always suffered with health anxiety,had to have routine blood tests Tuesday,they've come back with slightly high red blood cell count!!!.Really panicky as have family history of heart attacks.Doctor says result could be from smoking.Re test in 3 months try to give up smoking but just so worried.Has anybody else had this???xx

Fishmanpa
24-02-17, 13:36
Hi I've always suffered with health anxiety,had to have routine blood tests Tuesday,they've come back with slightly high red blood cell count!!!.Really panicky as have family history of heart attacks.Doctor says result could be from smoking.Re test in 3 months try to give up smoking but just so worried.Has anybody else had this???xx

I have. Slightly high means just a tad above normal and truly nothing to be concerned with. Considering your fear of heart problems, you should seriously put some effort into quitting smoking. As someone with heart disease and a former smoker, I can tell you without a doubt that it contributes to heart issues and was a major cause of mine.

Positive thoughts

wendy28
24-02-17, 13:59
Thank you so much for your reply?i went back this morning this doctor made me feel worse basically because they've been high for sometime over the years she's made me feel like a walking time bomb!!!,she has prescribed me 75mg dispensable aspirin.Ive already cut down my smoking loads since yday.How long has yours been high for??xx

ww1399
24-02-17, 15:37
Nicotine dependence does cause elevated RBC, just as smoking contributes to heart disease. It's never too late to quit!

Good luck, you'll be fine :)

wendy28
24-02-17, 15:53
Thank you I've changed to a vap now but wondering if that will still affect red bloods cells too?x

Fishmanpa
24-02-17, 21:38
Thank you I've changed to a vap now but wondering if that will still affect red bloods cells too?x

Certainly it's a step in the right direction. That's what I did to quit. Taper your nicotine content down over a few months to zero and you can kiss the habit goodbye :)

Positive thoughts

wendy28
25-02-17, 12:04
How long did it take you?xx

Fishmanpa
25-02-17, 14:57
How long did it take you?xx

Less than 4 months. I went from full strength to light to extra light to zero. But for me, I ended up with no choice in the matter anyway due to a 2nd heart attack and cancer diagnosis in the space of a month so it was coincidental and good timing.... that was in 2012.

Positive thoughts

wendy28
25-02-17, 15:06
Sorry to hear that.How are you now??.xx

Fishmanpa
25-02-17, 15:25
Sorry to hear that.How are you now??.xx

I'm just about 4 years out. I have permanent side effcts from the treatment but they certainly beat the alternative ;) I saw my medical oncologist yesterday and I see my radiation oncologist next week for my "scope, poke and prod". I anticipate no issues. They want to send me for a CT of my chest to check things out. Not so much for cancer as for lung issues due to my history of smoking. I have heart disease and the beginnings of COPD due to that habit (my Dad's wife died of COPD and was a smoker so one more reason to quit!). I also totally anticipate that to be normal as I have no issues with light to moderate exercise or any symptoms.

The coolest thing is that I don't have to see my medical oncologist for a year and that will be 5 years out and I will be deemed "cured". All throughout this journey, none of the doctors use the word "cured". It's always been NED (no evidence of disease). To actually have them say that is HUGE!

Positive thoughts

GlassPinata
25-02-17, 17:02

I quit smoking easily about 14 years ago by using nicotine gum.
I know different things work for different people, but you might try the gum. It's a little expensive (about as much as cigarettes), but I found it completely eliminated any craving i had. the one time I tried to smoke a cigarette while chewing nicotine gum, I got sick to my stomach and threw up!
I'd definitely recommend it.

wendy28
25-02-17, 20:35
Thank you will maybe try the gum too xx