PDA

View Full Version : Fear of brain abscess now

Jotia
23-02-17, 21:03
i noticed a slightly black hole in my tooth last week, I freaked out because I hate the dentist but I knew I had to go. I havnt been since I was 9 (I'm 17 now). I got my mum to book an appointment but they said they can't fit me in till march 6th because I need an extra long appointment as I'm basically a new patient. Well today I noticed some more of the tooth had chipped and the pieces were stuck in the hole. I didn't know what to do so I used a pin to get them out then brushed my teeth. Now I have a huge hole in my tooth and my appointment isn't till over a week. Im terrified it will get infected and travel to my brain and cause an abscess because apparently that can easily happen. Even when I do go they won't do anything at that time. I don't know what to do till then because I don't think we are able to book an sooner appointment.

ww1399
23-02-17, 21:07
If you're really that concerned go to the doctor or ER and if there happens to be an infection they'll give you antibiotics to clear it up. And when you do go to the dentist, they're not just gonna send you home with an infected tooth. They'd give you medication to treat it. Try not to worry, you're gonna be fine.

Fishmanpa
23-02-17, 21:15
If you're really that concerned go to the doctor or ER

With respect, a cavity does not warrant an ER/A&E visit especially with the appointment a little over a week away. Contrary to what Dr. Google and the anxiety dragon is telling you, this type of occurrence is ridiculously rare!

Go to the store and buy a dental repair kit to fill the hole in the meantime. It will help keep any debris out and help prevent any nerve pain issues.

Positive thoughts

Gary A
23-02-17, 21:19
The percentage of people who end up with brain issues because of an infected tooth is probably about the same as people who drown because they fell in a puddle.

This is irrational in the extreme, in other words.

ww1399
23-02-17, 21:24
With respect, if the tooth were to be infected, it could potentially get dangerous as with any infection and be quite painful. You have no idea what the tooth looks like or how much pain they might be in. One week is a long time to wait for an appointment with a horrible toothache. :)

As for the infection spreading to your brain, this isn't going to happen. But if it's painful or seems to be getting worse don't wait a week, you don't deserve to go through that.

Also, be careful about repairing your tooth at home as you could definitely do more harm than good and trap any bacteria in the cavity.

Gary A
23-02-17, 21:29
With respect, if the tooth were to be infected, it could potentially get dangerous as with any infection and be quite painful. You have no idea what the tooth looks like or how much pain they might be in. One week is a long time to wait for an appointment with a horrible toothache. :)

As for the infection spreading to your brain, this isn't going to happen. But if it's painful or seems to be getting worse don't wait a week, you don't deserve to go through that.

Also, be careful about repairing your tooth at home as you could definitely do more harm than good and trap any bacteria in the cavity.

Yes, but you're essentially encouraging someone to visit A&E because of a dental cavity. Not really advisable, surely?

ww1399
23-02-17, 21:36
No, I'm advising them to not wait a week if they think their tooth is severely infected.

---------- Post added at 16:36 ---------- Previous post was at 16:34 ----------

The entire issue here is they don't want to wait a week to get their infected tooth fixed. The simple solution: visit your doctor, ER, or clinic for antibiotics. Problem solved until next week.

Fishmanpa
23-02-17, 21:37
With more respect, the OP didn't state there was pain and again, an ER/A&E trip over a cavity is just not warranted.

Besides, the fact that a brain abscess from a cavity is a kin to being struck by lightning while sitting in a cave.

Positive thoughts

axolotl
23-02-17, 21:37
It's one of those things - how many people do you know with teeth? How many people do you know who have had cavities in those teeth? How many people have you heard of who have died from brain abscesses?

It's not something you have to worry about.

Gary A
23-02-17, 21:40
No, I'm advising them to not wait a week if they think their tooth is severely infected.

Yes you are, of course, but you did also advise the OP to go to ER if they're worried in your initial response.

---------- Post added at 21:40 ---------- Previous post was at 21:37 ----------

The entire issue here is they don't want to wait a week to get their infected tooth fixed. The simple solution: visit your doctor, ER, or clinic for antibiotics. Problem solved until next week.

Where did the OP say the tooth was infected?

ww1399
23-02-17, 21:40
Any rational human being with an active infection would not wait a week to get treatment. That's what I'm saying.

Gary A
23-02-17, 21:42
Any rational human being with an active infection would not wait a week to get treatment. That's what I'm saying.

But they don't have an infection. :shrug:

ww1399
23-02-17, 21:42
Maybe I should've been more careful in my original response.

If you think there's an infection, don't wait. If you don't think there's an infection, wait for the appointment.

Sixpack
23-02-17, 21:43
This fear is very common especially amongst HA people and dental phobes. Noticed I said "common fear". It is a common fear but not a common reality. You said this "can easily happen"... Um no it can't. Oh sure people get TOOTH abscesses/infections somewhat easily but not the travelling to the brain part... I have known many, many, many people who have had tooth abscesses. ZERO who have ended up with a brain infection as a result.. This is pretty much one of those fantasy HA fears. by the way I also have known many folks who have had broken assed teeth in their mouths for years that have never even gotten infected. A co -worker is one. He FINALLY had the 3 or 4 teeth pulled a week or so ago. One is my sister. She had a broken tooth in her mouth for years. She finally had it pulled THEN got braces to straighten her teeth. I also have another coworker who DID have an infection in her mouth after a root canal. Dentist gave her antibiotics. In a week or two she is going to an endodontist to have the tooth looked at again. A friend had an abscess tooth year or two ago. AND my mom..oh my gosh her mouth was a mess.

Here in the states we go every 6 months (American dental association recommendation) for cleanings and check-ups. So, my dear, yes, oh, yes you should go to the dentist. Because not going for years will definitely lead to decay and teeth issues. But you are not going to end up with a brain infection and die. That is all HA fantasy talking there.

Jotia
23-02-17, 23:03
It's not infected at the moment I'm just worried it will be. Only hurts when I brush my teeth not constantly. Guess I will just have to wait and see, my mum says I have to wait till the opointment. However this specific tooth has now been hurting on and off for 2 years the holes just recent...plenty of chance for it to become infected and it hasn't so I'm holding out hope.