PDA

View Full Version : Scared to start pregabalin

Annabelle
24-02-17, 17:39
Hi
I have had gad for years and been on 40mgs of citalopram and just bumbling along. Having a bad patch and Dr has prescribed 75mgs twice a day.
My main fears that trigger my anxiety is dizziness and feeling woozy, and as I know this is a common side effect I'm really scared to take it.
After some advice, some positive stories, to help me make the desicion.

Anna x

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

beatroon
24-02-17, 22:31
Hi Anna,

I took Pregabalin for a while when my anxiety was bad, on top of 40mg citalopram, due to various life events, and it was honestly the best thing I'd done. I wouldn't worry about side effects, if you get them you can discontinue!

panic_down_under
25-02-17, 00:04
My main fears that trigger my anxiety is dizziness and feeling woozy, and as I know this is a common side effect I'm really scared to take it.

Pregabalin has a very short terminal half-life of around 3-4 hours so any side-effects will be short-lived, Anna.

Dizziness and lightheadesness are also common anxiety symptoms so don't automatically assume the side-effects you experience after taking pregabalin are all down to the med. They are just as likely to be triggered by the stress of taking it, in fact probably more likely.

SmilingAlbert
25-02-17, 11:08
Hi Annabelle,

There are plenty of positive stories about Pregabalin on this board, so take a look. When I took it it had an immediately positive impact on my life, and in fact gave me my life back - and it worked quickly too. The side effects for most are very benign, especially compared to some meds. You may get some effects, but these should be short lived, and are manageable by most.

Good luck,

Albert

akb
25-02-17, 11:55
Hi Anna

I didnt get any side effects at all!

Its good stuff.

akb

skymaid
25-02-17, 19:46
They made me slightly sleepy and gave me a dry mouth in the mornings. Thats about it. This returned with each dose increase.
I started on 25mg because i was scared of side effects

Annabelle
25-02-17, 21:02
Hmm the more I think about it the worse it gets! I wish someone could just tell me you'll feel x y z for 2 days then feel fine!
I'm worried I'll need to take (more) time off work while I adjust and..... i just need to stop thinking about it and just do it!
I'm dizzy already due to anxiety so maybe I won't notice the difference!
Anxiety sucks....like really sucks

SmilingAlbert
26-02-17, 20:38
i just need to stop thinking about it and just do it!

You have answered your own question. Your doctor has prescribed them for a reason, and it would be best to follow his/her advice. It is normal to have worries about new meds, especially if you are anxious already. But Preg has mostly positive stories on this board - but noone can tell you exactly what will happen - it just doesn't work that way.

There are plenty of people here who can help you on your way and give you advice, so keep in touch.

Albert

hanshan
27-02-17, 13:39
Hi Annabelle,

Also, please note that people with medication anxiety such as yours often have a surge of anxiety or even a panic attack soon after taking a new medication or changing a dose. If it happens, remember it is your anxiety taking over and not the medication, and it will quickly pass.

In terms of meds that you can take long term, pregabalin probably has the easiest start-up effects - much better than the anxiety you are now suffering.

Annabelle
07-03-17, 17:40
So I started on Friday!

So far I've been a bit dizzy and tired about 2 hours after the dose which lasts for a couple of hours.
Today is the first day I've noticed any impact on my anxiety which has finally started to subside.
I am however starving hungry all the time! Any tips for ignoring the appetite monster?!
I've worked really hard to lose 1.5 stone recently and don't want to put it back on. Does the increased appetite go away like the other side effects are supposed to?

SmilingAlbert
07-03-17, 23:01
Yes agreed water is good

Fizzy water even better - will fill you up, zero calories

Good luck

Albert