PDA

View Full Version : Dreams

Mojo61
24-02-17, 18:28
Ever since I've been taking citalopram I've had the most vivid dreams I've ever experienced. It's almost like I'm actually there and I wake up exhausted most mornings from a night of nocturnal nonsense! Does this ever go away because it is really tiring me out?

Shazamataz
24-02-17, 20:16
I have this every night. Really intense dreams, exhausting ans stressful and mostly a load of nonsense as well with a few highly emotional bits about my dead parents and family arguments etc. I don't know if it's medication related or what, but it's no fun :(

panic_down_under
24-02-17, 21:01
Ever since I've been taking citalopram I've had the most vivid dreams I've ever experienced.

This is a potential side-effect of most antidepressants. I used to get full Cecil B. DeMillesc Technicolor epics while on imipramine (Tofranil). It's about 20 years since I switched to another TCA for other reasons, but I still miss them. I'm not sure whether the meds cause them, or just allow us to remember our dreams more readily, however, my guess is it's the latter.

You could try switching to escitalopram (Lexapro). While they share the same active chemical, escitalopram lacks the mostly inactive isomer also in citalopram and this can produce subtle differences in side-effects. An overnight switch should be almost seamless. If this doesn't work then switching to another SSRI almost certainly will. Sertraline would be a good choice.

GlassPinata
25-02-17, 02:38
I never took that medication, but when I was on Prozac, i had the craziest, most vivid lucid dreams of my life!
Apparently it is a common side effect of Prozac- maybe of your medication as well. You should ask your doctor.
Best wishes.

sollythegolly
25-02-17, 11:53
Best description of my nights in a one liner that I've seen Mojo. Never had these sort of dreams prior to going on to Citalopram nearly a year ago. I guess it's something that we have to put up with. Sigh.........

beatroon
25-02-17, 16:47
Yep, I get the crazy dreams too. They don't bother me overly now I know what's causing them. I think they have got a bit less intense over time (been on Cit for 4 years).

pollynewsome
25-02-17, 18:40
Dreadful night dreams! Shattered every morning.. tapering from 30mg and they seem even worse but I can't see why they would be . Do you nap through the day. Cos strangely enough if I sit down I usually find myself nodding but yet never dream then. Hope it settles for you. X

Mojo61
26-02-17, 11:50
This is a potential side-effect of most antidepressants. I used to get full Cecil B. DeMillesc Technicolor epics while on imipramine (Tofranil). It's about 20 years since I switched to another TCA for other reasons, but I still miss them. I'm not sure whether the meds cause them, or just allow us to remember our dreams more readily, however, my guess is it's the latter.

You could try switching to escitalopram (Lexapro). While they share the same active chemical, escitalopram lacks the mostly inactive isomer also in citalopram and this can produce subtle differences in side-effects. An overnight switch should be almost seamless. If this doesn't work then switching to another SSRI almost certainly will. Sertraline would be a good choice.

Oooh, that's interesting! I think you are right when you say we are remembering them more because I've read that somewhere else too (an academic paper, not the usual internet based drivel) and that would make sense. I don't like them however, but I doubt my GP would swap me onto the more expensive escit so I'm kind of stuck with them I think. Hopefully the dreams will lessen in intensity over time because I'm waking up exhausted every morning and it's not helping.

panic_down_under
26-02-17, 20:43
I don't like them however, but I doubt my GP would swap me onto the more expensive escit so I'm kind of stuck with them I think.

Escitalopram is more expensive in the UK? Interesting. I wonder why given it is out of patent and generics are available.

However, given this is such an issue for you it might be better to switch to something else entirely as it will impede your recovery. Sertraline (Zoloft) would be a good alternative.

Apparently, venlafaxine (Effexor) is the popular second choice antidepressant with UK GPs. It has no real advantage over other SSRIs (despite the label, it really isn't a SNRI) for anything other than maybe very severe depression and several serious disadvantages so resist.

Mojo61
26-02-17, 21:27
Thanks PDU. It took me months to get used to citalopram, I've never suffered from anxiety before in my life so this came as a real bolt out of the blue. I'm not sure I could tolerate a move to a completely different med, it would worry me too much and I'd be fearful of a relapse back to my previous symptoms. I like the sound of escit though so might try talking my GP into prescribing it or perhaps paying privately.