PDA

View Full Version : Switching from Xanax to klonopin

Ethansmom
25-02-17, 00:12
My psychiatrist wants me to switch over to Klonopins because its longer acting. Does it work right away like Xanax? The doctor said I can take a Xanax with it if I have a panic attack.

panic_down_under
25-02-17, 05:13
My psychiatrist wants me to switch over to Klonopins because its longer acting. Does it work right away like Xanax?

It can be a little slower to enter the bloodstream and to reach peak levels, but not by much.

The doctor said I can take a Xanax with it if I have a panic attack.

Panic attacks are almost always over long before Xanax can begin having an impact. It can help with the anxious aftermath, however.

Ethansmom
25-02-17, 15:55
I'm worried to start Klonopin while Xanax is in my system . Is it essentially the same thing? How long does it last in the body?

panic_down_under
26-02-17, 00:46
I'm worried to start Klonopin while Xanax is in my system . Is it essentially the same thing? How long does it last in the body?

Both are benzodiazepines and have the exact same affect on the brain. Xanax has a short elimination half-life, an average of 11 hours (range 6-26 hours). Oral contraceptives may slow the rate benzodiazepines are metabolized a little, typically by around half to one hour for Xanax.