PDA

View Full Version : How to "Prevent" Cancer

PASchoolSyndrome
25-02-17, 14:20
Hey guys, so I found this article on the "prevention" of cancer from Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, and it basically goes on to say that research suggests that by living a healthy and well rounded life-style and reducing your risk for other diseases (cardiovascular, diabetes), you can potentially reduce/prevent risk for cancer. I've summed up it's key points.

Smoking
Seriously, just quit.

Diet
Healthy diet is so important, I think we can all agree. The verdict it still out, but research has shown than a higher body fat content does a lot of nasty things to your body - including increase susceptibility to cancer. Certain foods have been known to be better or worse for you body (over my own dead body will I ever give up bacon), but everything in moderation.

Exercise
Another no brainer, " 30-minute brisk walk every day, or 150 minutes per week, has been linked to lower cancer risk". This can also help with a weight issue.

Sleep
They're not sure why on this one, but they have noticed that sleep deprived people are at higher risk for certain cancers.

Alcohol
This one is hard for myself, but another no brainer. Like smoking, it's just flat out bad for your body in excessive amounts. A drink or two a night has been shown to be beneficial, but after that... yikes. Also, it's hard to stop after that one drink sometimes.

Vitamins
"Expensive piss". Try your best to get vitamins out of your diet, as taking supplements are not as healthy as they once thought. Plus, you excrete most of it out anyway. And edited because of other's expertise, absolutely supplement if you need to - but always consult a doctor.

Medications
If you can, get vaccinated against HPV! As we get older our risk of cancer increases, however there are some drugs that may reduce that risk. PLEASE consult your doctor before starting any new medications and ask if it's right for you.

Mental Attitude
No, having a bad attitude does not cause cancer. BUT it is important to get your anxiety and depression treated because it can lead to a lifestyle that is bad for your health: ie drinking excessive amounts of alcohol, sleep deprivation, poor nutrition.

http://www.wbur.org/commonhealth/2017/02/03/cancer-prevention

All of these seem like no brainers right? Why would they have to write an article and do research stuff one this - this is common sense. Yet many many people do not live this kind of life. Cancer for the most part is not 100% preventable. I think of risks being everything and nothing at all at the same time and the cause can just simply be pure luck, for lack of a better term.

But as health anxiety suffers, why wouldn't we try to live a better lifestyle in general?

Just wanted to share this article (: Let me know if it needs to be deleted.

MyNameIsTerry
25-02-17, 14:31
Yes, all are good no brainers except "expensive piss". Whilst it would be best to get it all from food intake, it's not always possible...unless you want to be obese just to get a certain vitamin. Some like D3, you would struggle to get unless you are planning to move to a tropical island :D

Doctors and vitamin research are still an area to be concluded in my opinion.

The advice on more fruit I like but I question how it clashes with the argument against sugar?

Catherine S
25-02-17, 14:33
I think its a good article, and I agree that it's the luck of the draw with diseases like cancer, as people who are super fit can still develop it, while people who never exercise, eat junk food and smoke & drink all their lives can be cancer-free.

However I also agree that living life in a healthy and positive way can help our mental and physical wellbeing in relation to other diseases. A positive outlook on life results in a calmer mind and a calmer nervous system :)

ISB x

GlassPinata
25-02-17, 14:34
It seems a lot of us who worry excessively about cancer are NOT doing all we can to prevent it.
In fact, many of us have developed unhealthy coping mechanisms which ironically put us at greater risk.
If you cope with your health anxiety by smoking like a chimney, well.... you are sort of creating a self-fulfilling prophesy, doing your best to ensure that your greatest fear will eventually come true.

I need to make time to work out again. It is very difficult, as the full-time working single mother of a preschooler. But I remember, when I used to work out, how much better I felt. I felt like I was doing something proactive about my health, and that alone alleviated a lot of my worry and anxiety; just knowing I was doing all I could to stay healthy.

Anyway, a great reminder.

KeeKee
25-02-17, 14:42
It seems a lot of us who worry excessively about cancer are NOT doing all we can to prevent it.
In fact, many of us have developed unhealthy coping mechanisms which ironically put us at greater risk.
If you cope with your health anxiety by smoking like a chimney, well.... you are sort of creating a self-fulfilling prophesy, doing your best to ensure that your greatest fear will eventually come true.

I need to make time to work out again. It is very difficult, as the full-time working single mother of a preschooler. But I remember, when I used to work out, how much better I felt. I felt like I was doing something proactive about my health, and that alone alleviated a lot of my worry and anxiety; just knowing I was doing all I could to stay healthy.

Anyway, a great reminder.

Agree to this but it's very hard to break the cycle. I gave up alcohol completely 4 years ago (I was never an excessive drinker but liked getting tipsy when I had a night out), I wouldn't dare smoke or take drugs, but my diet is absolutely atrocious.
I hate the way I look and feel so I eat, and eat, and eat, and well you get the picture.
I eat around 2800 calories a day and I've read even if you're a healthy weight a high calorie diet can be bad for you. I have serious issues with food and no idea how to overcome it. I know what food is and what food isn't healthy. I know when I'm hungry, I know when I'm thirsty, but get an unbearable urge to eat massive amounts of foods almost every single night. I truly don't know how to overcome it.

GlassPinata
25-02-17, 14:50
Agree to this but it's very hard to break the cycle. I gave up alcohol completely 4 years ago (I was never an excessive drinker but liked getting tipsy when I had a night out), I wouldn't dare smoke or take drugs, but my diet is absolutely atrocious.
I hate the way I look and feel so I eat, and eat, and eat, and well you get the picture.
I eat around 2800 calories a day and I've read even if you're a healthy weight a high calorie diet can be bad for you. I have serious issues with food and no idea how to overcome it. I know what food is and what food isn't healthy. I know when I'm hungry, I know when I'm thirsty, but get an unbearable urge to eat massive amounts of foods almost every single night. I truly don't know how to overcome it.

Yes, I agree. I am 44, and have always been naturally thin, due to a high metabolism, I suppose, or just genetics.
I pretty much live on junk food. I never thought this was a problem when I was young, because, hey: I'm not fat, so I must be healthy, right? Wrong.

My father, who is only eighteen years older than me, was the same as me- ate whatever he wanted, but always stayed thin. At age 51 (only seven years older than I am now!) he developed Type 2 diabetes. it came on very fast, and he became very ill before he realized what was happening. He had a lot of trouble getting it under control. Three years after that, despite modifying his diet and adding exercise, he suffered a heart attack. He is still alive today, but i realize there is a lesson here for me. I need to develop a healthier diet and lifestyle before these things happen to me, and if i don't make changes soon, they probably will happen to me. I can't afford it. I'm uninsured. I am a single mom of a preschooler. I'll be nearly sixty when he graduates high school. I must not let these things happen to me.
But yes, pizza and chicken nuggets, burgers and fries are very comforting, and it is hard to give them up. :(

PASchoolSyndrome
25-02-17, 15:02
Yes, all are good no brainers except "expensive piss". Whilst it would be best to get it all from food intake, it's not always possible...unless you want to be obese just to get a certain vitamin. Some like D3, you would struggle to get unless you are planning to move to a tropical island :D

Doctors and vitamin research are still an area to be concluded in my opinion.

The advice on more fruit I like but I question how it clashes with the argument against sugar?

I admit - the "expensive piss" is definitely my own sentiment. :D Vitamins are SO EXPENSIVE, yet many people aren't counseled on how to properly take them (ie taking too much at once) or if they even need to supplement them into their diet. The industy has made money for the wrong reasons!

Fruit is always a hairy area too. Eating excess fruit is eating excess sugar, albeit natural, so it goes into balance again. Plus benefits from fruit greatly outweigh the risk - but again everything in moderation. My grandmother was diabetic and she would pop grapes like candy and I remember her doctors recommended she switched to almonds hahaha.

Which is exactly why I thought I'd share. I'm 100% guilty of worrying about breast cancer and then going off with girlfriends and getting pretty drunk. Or avoiding my usual 20 minute jog because "20 minutes takes SO MUCH TIME out of my day." It's ironic, we worry so much but there are things that we can do to to help reduce the risk of cancer, AND completely prevent other things like cardiovascular disease (which kills more people than cancer) and diabetes, which all lead to unhealthy bodies that unfortunately won't function at 100% or even stop functioning.

Fishmanpa
25-02-17, 15:15
As a survivor, this is spot on good advice. The only point I would counter is the vitamins. Since my cancer, I've been advised by my oncology team to take an antioxidant multivitamin. We certainly can get the benefits by eating foods rich in antioxidants (carrots, leafy greens etc.) but it certainly isn't a waste of money to add this to your diet as we may not get all we need from our diets.

Being that so many here have fears of cancer and heart disease, why not allow that fear to motivate you in a positive way? It's just common sense and it will benefit you in the long run.

Lastly, attitude. That's a BIG one for me. There are many things in our lives we have no control over. Lack of control is one of the issues so many here fight in their battle with anxiety. Regardless of what happens to you, you always have control over how you react to it.

"Life is 10% what happens to us, 90% how we handle it" Charles Swindoll.

Positive thoughts

rainbow
25-02-17, 15:36
This is what scares me so much, I have been overweight most of my adult life, at my heaviest I've been 17 stone. I used to drink every weekend although not heavy and never drank through the week. I don't smoke. I've read so much about the link between obesity and bowel cancer so that makes me think I will definitely have/get it.

MyNameIsTerry
25-02-17, 15:42
This is what scares me so much, I have been overweight most of my adult life, at my heaviest I've been 17 stone. I used to drink every weekend although not heavy and never drank through the week. I don't smoke. I've read so much about the link between obesity and bowel cancer so that makes me think I will definitely have/get it.

Some factors are based on how you live before cancer. Therefore you can change the risk to reduce it before anything has happened. In the case of weight, I think you can reduce future risk factor.

Everyone always concentrates on cancer yet there seems little consideration that being overweight can lead to many conditions that we wouldn't want.

PASchoolSyndrome
25-02-17, 15:46
Everyone always concentrates on cancer yet there seems little consideration that being overweight can lead to many conditions that we wouldn't want.

:yesyes:

Just living healthy lifestyles in general is the key.

ServerError
25-02-17, 15:48
Heart disease is actually more common among men than cancer (I think). Women are more at risk of cancer.

Personally, I "worry" more about type-2 diabetes due to my diet. It's better than it used to be, but I definitely take in too much sugar, and I carry some weight around my midriff. On the plus side, I am working on it.

rainbow
25-02-17, 15:49
Some factors are based on how you live before cancer. Therefore you can change the risk to reduce it before anything has happened. In the case of weight, I think you can reduce future risk factor.

Because of this latest spell of anxiety I've lost three stone, could do with losing another 3 though. The thing is in my head it's probably too late for me because of my recent problems with my stomach.

MyNameIsTerry
25-02-17, 15:52
I admit - the "expensive piss" is definitely my own sentiment. :D Vitamins are SO EXPENSIVE, yet many people aren't counseled on how to properly take them (ie taking too much at once) or if they even need to supplement them into their diet. The industy has made money for the wrong reasons!

Fruit is always a hairy area too. Eating excess fruit is eating excess sugar, albeit natural, so it goes into balance again. Plus benefits from fruit greatly outweigh the risk - but again everything in moderation. My grandmother was diabetic and she would pop grapes like candy and I remember her doctors recommended she switched to almonds hahaha.

Yeah, grapes are high fructose...which I bet is why we love them!

It's incredibly complicated. There is a lot of contradicting advice too.

I started taking D3 as I live at night and don't get much sunlight. Then you get draw into the K2 issue where too much D3 over a certain minimum without enough balancing of K2 forces calcification as the D3 is working harder to push the calcium but it's the K2 that directs it around the body.

Vitamins are a minefield. I doubt many doctors understand them beyond the RDA's which are very old. It's a bit annoying because diet is import to our mental health yet a GP will push the antidepressant route without considering your diet is so low in Serotonin precursors that it's like making an engine more fuel efficient but still not pouring in enough petrol.

Minerals too. Magnesium is a good example of the commercial con. The only value needed is "elemental" magnesium, which most don't list. People often don't realise the supplement delivers nowhere near what they think. No wonder it doesn't help them.

ServerError
25-02-17, 15:57
Because of this latest spell of anxiety I've lost three stone, could do with losing another 3 though. The thing is in my head it's probably too late for me because of my recent problems with my stomach.

What's in your head has absolutely no bearing on reality. Consider this your first CBT lesson.

----------

Surely, when it comes to fruit, as long as you eat a wide variety, don't gorge on the stuff, and do your best to avoid refined sugar, you don't really need to worry? I know it's easier said than done given the way sugar seems to hide in everything these days, but it's possible. Basically, eat a varied, balanced diet, and you don't need to worry too much about the specifics.

MyNameIsTerry
25-02-17, 15:59

It's never too late. It's true that with certain contributory factors that the gains you make against risk reduction decrease with age (like giving up smoking) but anything is better than nothing.

Even if someone has cancer, changing helps them (subject to treatment, they like you eating like a horse when having chemo).

Fishmanpa
25-02-17, 16:00
Considering diet... Since many here suffer with digestive issues, I highly recommend the FODMAP (http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/) diet. Both my wife and I suffer with reflux issues. A PPI and following the diet has practically eliminated the issue.

Low sugar and low fat are key as well. Fruits, as PA said, are tricky but when consumed in low to moderate amounts the antioxidants and vitamins they supply are beneficial.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
25-02-17, 16:01
:yesyes:

Just living healthy lifestyles in general is the key.

Absolutely! Good fibre from all the fruit too.

I need to make changes like this. I have asthma and exercise is one of the best things for that...sadly my anxiety says it thinks the polar opposite! :doh:

Oh, can we have plenty of sex on the list (preferably with someone else there! ) so I can ask for it on the NHS! :yesyes:

ServerError
25-02-17, 16:03
Hasn't there been a change in thought regarding fat? I definitely read somewhere (I think it was a reputable source) that fat, including saturated fat, was not thought to be the evil it once was, and that much of the blame was landing at the doors of sugar, carbs and too much salt? If I could remember where I read it it would help.

---------- Post added at 16:03 ---------- Previous post was at 16:02 ----------

Absolutely! Good fibre from all the fruit too.

I need to make changes like this. I have asthma and exercise is one of the best things for that...sadly my anxiety says it thinks the polar opposite! :doh:

Oh, can we have plenty of sex on the list (preferably with someone else there! ) so I can ask for it on the NHS! :yesyes:

Imagine the waiting list if the NHS offered that...

MyNameIsTerry
25-02-17, 16:08
Heart disease is actually more common among men than cancer (I think). Women are more at risk of cancer.

Personally, I "worry" more about type-2 diabetes due to my diet. It's better than it used to be, but I definitely take in too much sugar, and I carry some weight around my midriff. On the plus side, I am working on it.

Isn't diabetes less about sugar? I'm sure a few people on the diabetes threads were saying this, more about calories & carbs? That confused me as of the insulin issue.

Sugar puts your mood on a roller coaster. People who give it up completely say they feel better for it. I'm more for balance though, if life has to be a macro chore I'm not sure it's good for my OCD if it could latch on?

I've started looking at my sugar too. [He says while eating a bag of M&M's] I'm considering diabetes too as my energy levels are not good. It's interesting that some sugar substitutes are healthier than others with some carrying additional health benefits. I'm just going to apply that in small ways though, like in tea. It all adds up.

PASchoolSyndrome
25-02-17, 16:13
OH MY GOSH. Not to be a pervert or anything so I hope no one is offended, but sex is soooo good for you. I am a huge proponent for sex (as long as it is safe, either with a loving partner or with the proper STD and pregnancy protection, of course). The cardio it provides and even the mental benefits of it. A little healthy masturbation should be thrown in as well. I've worked with someone who is doing their dissertation on the benefits of sex and masturbation for individual physical and mental health and it's amazing. I really wish that there wasn't such a stigma on SAFE sex.

Regardless, I think diet modification and even adding an extra 30 minute walk a day is something that everyone should do their best to work on!

Nutritionists change their mind every day on certain foods. Don't eat egg yokes, its bad for you.. JK eat the yoke it's full of healthy things for you. A doctor here in Boston is doing research on how high fat diets are actually better for weight loss because foods high in (healthy) fats keep you full for longer so you do not eat to eat or snack as much. It's ever changing but I think it goes back to portion/calorie control and balance/moderation.

Fishmanpa
25-02-17, 16:14
Hasn't there been a change in thought regarding fat?

There's good fat and bad fat. We eat avocados regularly and cook/use olive oil. Fish like salmon and tuna have good fats in them. We avoid meats that are high in fat and stick mainly with poultry and fish with an occasional cut of lean beef. Pretty much have eliminated pork totally sans a rare BBQ smoked rack of ribs.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
25-02-17, 16:15
Hasn't there been a change in thought regarding fat? I definitely read somewhere (I think it was a reputable source) that fat, including saturated fat, was not thought to be the evil it once was, and that much of the blame was landing at the doors of sugar, carbs and too much salt? If I could remember where I read it it would help.

---------- Post added at 16:03 ---------- Previous post was at 16:02 ----------

Imagine the waiting list if the NHS offered that...

I was just thinking, the nurses at my hospital are more Hattie Jaques than Holby City...

Yeah, I've read that about saturated fat. I'm can't remember the details either. The same about fats in general since we now understand healthy fats. I think trans fats were still considered bad though.

One of the problems with dairy is how they reduce fat content but ramp up lactose sugar to sweeten. There are products that get around this though. I've switched to a high protein cheese that is low calorie, still low lactose yet tastes no different to normal full fat cheddar. Products like Quark cheese get around high calorie too as it's high protein, the Germans have be eating it for breakfast for a long time.

ServerError
25-02-17, 16:17
My head hurts.

I'm gonna make a sandwich...

Catherine S
25-02-17, 16:21
Terry that makes it sound like you normally have to pay for it :D

Re fruit and carbs...

I remember reading an article written by the pub chef Tom Kerridge who I love, he was talking about the huge amount of weight he's lost, and he said that bananas were his 'go to' snack between meals. He was aware that they are also considered higher in carbs than other fruit, but compared to eating a piece of cake or handful of biscuits, the bananas were enough to fill the gap. I agree, my digestive system doesn't cope very well with the more acidic fruits, but strawberries and bananas are tolerated and bananas are filling.

ISB ☺

Magic
25-02-17, 16:21
I know of someone who is not overweight, female, never smoked, healthy eating. has breast cancer and yesterday had one of or part of one lung removed because it had spread. I want to add to that her operation was cancelled last week NHS :mad:

In my opinion you never know what will happen to you

What about children? They have not had time to eat healthy etc.

Server error you are right. Arthritis sufferers have butter and things like that.

MyNameIsTerry
25-02-17, 16:23
OH MY GOSH. Not to be a pervert or anything so I hope no one is offended, but sex is soooo good for you. I am a huge proponent for sex (as long as it is safe, either with a loving partner or with the proper STD and pregnancy protection, of course). The cardio it provides and even the mental benefits of it. A little healthy masturbation should be thrown in as well. I've worked with someone who is doing their dissertation on the benefits of sex and masturbation for individual physical and mental health and it's amazing. I really wish that there wasn't such a stigma on SAFE sex.

Regardless, I think diet modification and even adding an extra 30 minute walk a day is something that everyone should do their best to work on!

Should that have had an "n" in it? :winks:

There is bound to be the potential for some cheesy chat up lines in this. :whistles:

GlassPinata
25-02-17, 16:25
Should that have had an "n" in it? :winks:

There is bound to be the potential for some cheesy chat up lines in this. :whistles:

A 30-minute one?? What's wrong with you, slowpoke? :D

MyNameIsTerry
25-02-17, 16:28
Terry that makes it sound like you normally have to pay for it :D

Re fruit and carbs...

I remember reading an article written by the pub chef Tom Kerridge who I love, he was talking about the huge amount of weight he's lost, and he said that bananas were his 'go to' snack between meals. He was aware that they are also considered higher in carbs than other fruit, but compared to eating a piece of cake or handful of biscuits, the bananas were enough to fill the gap. I agree, my digestive system doesn't cope very well with the more acidic fruits, but strawberries and bananas are tolerated and bananas are filling.

ISB ☺

Well either that or get the bicycle pump out again http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/sex/t15189.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/t-sex.php?page=5)

I suppose the latter at least means additional cardiovascular benefits...and a bit of a sit down to get my breath back first! :blush:

PASchoolSyndrome
25-02-17, 16:30
Haha I got excited. It's such a controversial topic and very uncomfortable to people, but in my opinion the data backs it up ha.

Magic,

I'm so sorry for your friend. Of course, hence the end where "risks are everything and nothing at all". Cancer is unpredictable, and in many cases unpreventable. However, healthy lifestyles benefit us in so many ways, from preventable disease like cardiovascular issues and other unhealthy lifestyle related diseases, and many experts believe that this can decrease your risk for cancer as well. While we may have gone off on a bit of a tangent, there are so many things we can do to help keep ourselves healthy as long as we can so more effort should be put into them.

MyNameIsTerry
25-02-17, 16:37
A 30-minute one?? What's wrong with you, slowpoke? :D

I'm an older man, 29 minutes of that is getting it pumped up! :D

---------- Post added at 16:37 ---------- Previous post was at 16:30 ----------

I know of someone who is not overweight, female, never smoked, healthy eating. has breast cancer and yesterday had one of or part of one lung removed because it had spread. I want to add to that her operation was cancelled last week NHS :mad:

In my opinion you never know what will happen to you

What about children? They have not had time to eat healthy etc.

Server error you are right. Arthritis sufferers have butter and things like that.

Really sorry to hear that, Magic. :hugs::flowers: She (and family, friends) must be going through it right now.

My GF's was much the same. Never smoked, a regular walking club member. With her lung cancer they checked for genetic factors as it meant newer treatments could be tried on to of the chemo. It turned up nothing. But she did have colon cancer decades before and there is a history of various cancers in the wider family.

It was interesting though that she beat colon cancer and went decades before this happened. My nan also beat colon cancer, and she was in her seventies, so never give up hope.

I hope they get it all out for her and they can put it behind them.

Magic
25-02-17, 16:40

Nutritionists change their mind every day on certain foods. Don't eat egg yokes, its bad for you.. JK eat the yoke it's full of healthy things for you. A doctor here in Boston is doing research on how high fat diets are actually better for weight loss because foods high in (healthy) fats keep you full for longer so you do not eat to eat or snack as much. It's ever changing but I think it goes back to portion/calorie control and balance/moderation.

No PAS, not a friend, the daughter of a neighbour:huh:

GlassPinata
25-02-17, 16:47

I agree with all of this. I'm recently divorced after 20 years of marriage (a marriage that was mostly sexless, near the end), and after my divorce I kind of went wild and had a couple of "flings".
But I discovered that I am not emotionally ready for a relationship at this time. And there is always emotional baggage that comes along with sex. The guys I'm interested in (mostly recently divorced 40-somethings like myself) seem lonely and get easily attached, and I don't want complications or to hurt anyone's feelings. Therefore I decided to give up sex for the time being, and I've been celibate for over a year now.
I agree with you on the masturbation thing, but single mothers rarely have the time or the privacy for that, unfortunately. :weep:

PASchoolSyndrome
25-02-17, 22:46
I agree with all of this. I'm recently divorced after 20 years of marriage (a marriage that was mostly sexless, near the end), and after my divorce I kind of went wild and had a couple of "flings".
But I discovered that I am not emotionally ready for a relationship at this time. And there is always emotional baggage that comes along with sex. The guys I'm interested in (mostly recently divorced 40-somethings like myself) seem lonely and get easily attached, and I don't want complications or to hurt anyone's feelings. Therefore I decided to give up sex for the time being, and I've been celibate for over a year now.
I agree with you on the masturbation thing, but single mothers rarely hahve the time or the privacy for that, unfortunately. :weep:

I'm sorry to hear that lady. :hugs: I hope all the best!

Noivous
25-02-17, 23:00
Smoking is number one. 85% of those with lung cancer are/were smokers. The list is quite long for other smoking related cancers as well. After that I would say alcohol is the next culprit.

N.

---------- Post added at 23:00 ---------- Previous post was at 22:59 ----------

Oh yeah...protect yourself from the sun via clothing and sunscreen. Especially fair skinned people.

Catherine S
26-02-17, 00:08
Yes I have to be careful in the sun, but I live in hope that my freckles will all join up one day to give me a nice tan :yesyes:

ISB ☺