PDA

View Full Version : Section myself?

Charlie1108
25-02-17, 19:14
I can't cope anymore. I've had a terrible day full of ectopic heartbeats and breakdowns. I think I'm going to section myself as nobody believes that I'm ill. Has anybody ever done this? It seems my only option.

GlassPinata
25-02-17, 19:17
I can't cope anymore. I've had a terrible day full of ectopic heartbeats and breakdowns. I think I'm going to section myself as nobody believes that I'm ill. Has anybody ever done this? It seems my only option.

Not sure what this means, as I am in the US, where there is no such option. Explain?

Charlie1108
25-02-17, 19:18
Admit myself on to a mental health ward

ServerError
25-02-17, 19:28
Admit myself on to a mental health ward

You won't be able to. Simple as that. It's very rare indeed for anxiety sufferers to be admitted to a mental health ward. In any case, a mental health ward would probably make you worse.

Shazamataz
25-02-17, 19:33
Assuming the UK is similar to here, you can't just admit yourself or section yourself, even when you are at your wit's end, unfortunately.

When I was really bad a year ago I went to emergency 3 times and they almost laughed at me when I said I needed to be in hospital. Unless you are an obvious danger to others or are a high suicide risk they don't have the resources to deal with you.

Are you getting any treatment (meds/therapy) or support at the moment?

Charlie1108
25-02-17, 19:38
I don't know what the alternative is. I can't keep rushing back to a&e as I am. Not on meds as I'm 30 weeks pregnant. They did prescribe citalopram but it made me so ill that they took me off it. I just know I'm dying.

ServerError
25-02-17, 19:41
Go back to your GP. Tell them how serious your anxiety is and that you need urgent help. Don't get me wrong, I know waiting lists for therapy on the NHS are long, but that has to be your starting point. At the very least, your GP has a duty of care towards you. Then take it from there.

Forget about being sectioned. Believe me, you don't want to be.

Dave1
25-02-17, 19:44
I have also had an experience where A & E have refused any support for acute anxiety, however the process of going there and getting refused was beneficial, strangely! Standing outside in the cold air afterwards kind of jolts you out of the worst level of anxiety. If you want to be admitted I've been told you need to tell a lie and say you're suicidal, but that's not something I could easily do.

Edit: I was told that the hospital had a 'duty psychiatrist' who we could see, but that option failed to exist when we got there.

Ihavelostmymarbles
25-02-17, 19:51
I think being sectioned would be a bad idea for you. I believe you that you feel something isn't right in your body. Pregnancy is a nightmare for some people with all the changes that they have to endure. I would request the holter monitor for at least 48 hours, and that will pick up whatever you're feeling. It will show whether it's benign or if you need treatment. I would only push for it because it's continuous, and it will give you some relief knowing that what you're feeling is benign. If it by chance wasn't benign, they have many medications to help.

I know you're very worried about pregnancy induced cardiomyopathy, and I've been doing a lot of reading about others that had it. The recovery is much easier and faster than someone with a different cause of cardiomyopathy. Also, it's rare. We both need to remember that. I'm trying to talk myself down while I'm trying to talk you down. We are going to be okay no matter what.

Dave1
25-02-17, 19:54
My anxiety tends to diminish by the evening, I get into bed and try and distract myself with radio or book or something. How are you now?

Charlie1108
25-02-17, 20:06
I think I have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy as my uncle has it, not the pregnancy one. I've had 16 ECGs and have been assured that it's very rare to not show up on an ecg (ekg in states). Plus when I'm rational I know that it wouldnt manifest in such a quick way over the course of six months. But I'm struggling with staying rational. All the evidence points towards my uncle having it die to a long history of hypertension but I've convinced myself the cause is genetic. I'm so low at the moment.

---------- Post added at 20:06 ---------- Previous post was at 19:55 ----------

Dave - mine tends to diminish in the evening too but tonight it's terrible.

Dave1
25-02-17, 20:06
I've read your other posts - you've suffered 2 losses, you have HA which is worse during pregnancy, so that explains why you are anxious.

But you've had multiple OK medical tests and you cite two pieces of evidence in your previous post that are counter to your health worries.

So the real problem to address is anxiety. So you need to calm yourself down somehow. I know, I know... MUCH easier said than done!

lofwyr
25-02-17, 20:08
I know it is hard to focus, to get away from the cyclical thinking. I am going to tell you something that works for me, and it sounds silly, but it really helps me when my anxiety is peaking at its worst.

Run. Bike. Do something, anything physical. And do it as intensely as you are able to. Don't amble when you can walk slow, don't walk slow when you can jog. Really push yourself physically.

It is amazing how much good this does me, as hard as it might be to motivate myself to do so. It burns off adrenaline, glucose, and a lot of the other biochemical things going on that contribute to our elevated anxiety. The worst thing in the world for me is to sit idle and let my mind stew.

If you have never given this a go, try it.

EDIT: Saw the part about cardiac issues, but do the most you are able to safely ;-)

Dave1
25-02-17, 20:10
The stupid thing is, I've never heard of hyperblobby cardiowattisname so although I have strong HA it's impossible for me to be worried about it.

Panicer
25-02-17, 20:20
Hi Charlie

Really sorry to hear you're in such a state. There's a good book my therapist gave me called Overcoming Health Anxiety which helped me when I had unreasonable concerns about my heart, you can google it and it's basically a self help CBT book. I would echo others posts on here and make an appointment (emergency if needed) to see your GP and explain what is wrong. If it helps write them down beforehand, so you don't forget. You're problems sound like they are HA related, so I'd concentrate on explaining them to the doctor i.e I constantly think there is something wrong with my heart and it is causing me such anxiety I feel like I should be sectioned, rather than there is something wrong with my heart doctor, I need an ECG etc.

Dave1
25-02-17, 20:24
Panicer said:

so I'd concentrate on explaining them to the doctor i.e I constantly think there is something wrong with my heart and it is causing me such anxiety I feel like I should be sectioned

Haha, Well put, yes sometimes the obvious eludes us!

GlassPinata
25-02-17, 20:39
I don't know what the alternative is. I can't keep rushing back to a&e as I am. Not on meds as I'm 30 weeks pregnant. They did prescribe citalopram but it made me so ill that they took me off it. I just know I'm dying.

They'll take your baby away if you don't quit it. Seriously. Stop.
Make this decision after the baby is born.

Charlie1108
25-02-17, 20:41
Helpful

---------- Post added at 20:41 ---------- Previous post was at 20:40 ----------

Helpful

Dave1
25-02-17, 20:49
They'll take your baby away if you don't quit it.

Where did you learn your counselling skills Glass? :winks:

Edit: We're trying to talk her down! :)

DonnaT
25-02-17, 21:11
GlassPinata are you male or female??? That is one of the most unhelpful things to say to a pregnant woman especially a pregnant woman with anxiety. I'm guessing your male by that comment or you have never suffered anxiety in pregnancy.

I wanted to really reply to you, I have four bubbas, my lg is still a bubba and I wanted to tell you I know how your feeling especially at this point. It is so so hard being pregnant and having anxiety it really is. I just want to tell you your strong enough to fight the need to go in to hospital. Did your doctors explain that heart palpatations are really really common in later pregnancy??? its where your heart is having to work harder to pump the blood around you both, I suffered loads from palpatations, when I laid down when I stood up, when I walked. you have been very sensible to get the e.c.g but please try and listen to your little good angel and remember what people have told you about being fine. I honestly had them loads and loads, I really hope your ok and if you need a chat I know where your coming from completely. Have you tried mindfulness I know that helped me loads, just type it in on the computer. have they offered you cbt? have they sent you to be seen by a special pregnancy metal health team??? these are all options. take care remember I'm here for a chat if you need to

Fishmanpa
25-02-17, 21:20
hyperblobby cardiowattisname

I had to laugh at that! I consider myself pretty well versed in cancer and heart related ailments being a survivor but often, when I see something I have no clue about, I know it's Dr. Google helping to fuel the anxiety dragon.

Positive thoughts

Charlie1108
25-02-17, 21:26
Thank you so much. I don't know why people come on to anxiety forums and say things like that. No wonder people don't like to reach out.
I've been referred to a perinatal mental health team, pay myself for counselling and have read all the books. I have the headspace app but really struggling to get in the zone.
My palpitations are relentless and are especially bad after eating and lying in bed. The problem is that it creates such a vicious cycle - palpitation- panic- more palpitations and so on. I don't know if you've seen my previous thread but I lost our last baby at 24 weeks which is where they're saying this anxiety is stemming from. It's so hard. Every symptom of the heartbproblem my uncle has, i now seem to have. Even though I've been here before with anxiety, I'm struggling to see how it can create all these physical symptoms

---------- Post added at 21:26 ---------- Previous post was at 21:25 ----------

I had no idea what it was until my uncle announced we were all potential victims of it! I'm usually stuck on the cancer train

Fishmanpa
25-02-17, 21:33
It wasn't to make light of "you"... I just found the phrase humorous is all. You're obviously is a very fragile place and I'm sorry. You can't take on other's ailments as you own and yes, you know it's your anxiety doing it as you hyper-focus and continue in the spiral.

So much of what I see here is self-inflicted. Dr. Google being the worst of all. I hope you feel better soon, heal emotionally from your loss, find ways to overcome your anxiety and prevent yourself from perpetuating it.

Positive thoughts

Charlie1108
25-02-17, 21:39
No, I found the phrase amusing myself. And I completely agree, google is the fuel to the fire in all of this. I did however, find the comment about having my baby taken off me from a previous poster very upsetting though, but hey-ho

DonnaT
25-02-17, 21:43
I used to get them after eating too, and I will let you in to a little secret they scared the sh*t out of me as well. I can never ever begin to imagine to know what you have been through and that stupid arsed comment from GlassPinata has made me more angry. a normal pregnancy is tough enough and even more tough after what you have been through. My best fried went through the same thing as you and she now has a very happy healthy cheeky 5 year old. I think you are doing amazing and I think you should remember that and what you have been through is no easy thing. don't be hard on yourself anybody would feel anxious in your situation, I know I would be through the roof twice over :blush: Have you spoken to your GP about what your actual chances of you having your uncle's condition are?? I don't think they tend to worry about uncles and aunties its more like grandma, granddads, mum, dad. I'm sure your gp would of sent you to see a cardiologist if you were at risk at all.

Charlie1108
25-02-17, 21:49
Thank you Donna. My GP knows and is fairly adamant that due to all my ECGs being clear - all 16 of them -that I'm ok. There's a chance it's genetic but nobody in my family has ever been diagnosed other than my uncle. Unfortunately, will never know re my dad as he died ten years ago. My grandmother was under a cardiologist and it was never mentioned so presumably she was negative. The condition can also be caused by a long history of high blood pressure which my uncle has so rationally, it's quite possibly not genetic in our family's case. Bit of course the anxious thoughts have taken over and told me it is. Have been scheduled for an echo soon so it can be completely eliminated from my brain - hopefully! X

Ihavelostmymarbles
25-02-17, 21:56
Your baby will not be taken away from you. You said you're in therapy, correct? And you're going to get the echo which is going to show your normal heart. Pregnancy and the hormones are no picnic. You will be just fine

DonnaT
25-02-17, 22:07
That is brilliant they have booked you in for an echo, it will put your mind to rest. I'm sure if other family members had it you would of bee told. e.c.g's pick up loads and loads of heart problems. reading e.c.g's is scientific and the people that read them have 3 plus years of training to be able to spot different problems on the page, your 16 ecgs would of been looked at by lots of qualified trained people and if any, even one would of seen something suspicious you would of been told

Cakelady
25-02-17, 22:10
No, just no, I cant believe that post. Very unhelpful & upsetting thing to say & just because you are having a bad time is no reflection on you or your abilities to look after your beautiful little one when he/she arrives. Trust me, I have been to hell & back, a nice mix of post natal depression & h/a, I agreed to be admitted but things beyond bad- wasn't eating, washing, sleeping & more I wont bore you with, & there were many times I was mocked by the crisis mental health teams in a& e. Nobody took my kids away! I really hope you get good support from your perinatal team, that's where it went wrong for me the support just wasn't there. Agreeing to go into hospital was terrifying, felt a bit like prison ( i imagine cos never been there!) but i needed it.Things are hard & its horrible feeling so worried but you will get there & I am sure you will be ok. Take care :hugs:

Dave1
25-02-17, 22:22
Fishmanpa, OP wasn't talking about you, the posts sometimes appear out of order causing confusion, it's something to do with how the site refreshes.

NancyW
25-02-17, 22:24
My palpitations are relentless and are especially bad after eating and lying in bed.

Of course they are... that makes perfect sense. Please remember that before you "eat bad" the next time.

I read years ago (when I was having some heart HA) that the heart is the whipping board for anxiety - I believe it don't you?

If your tests were all good, take a sigh of relief. :-)

Another thought, please don't underestimate the power of hormones, can you imagine how yours are raging at this time? That alone could cause your symptoms..

I'm recently through perimenopause, the heart symptoms are crazy and scary.. but know what? My heart is ok, that much I know and all else that I feel was coming from the wacky hormones.

Hang in there chickie .. you're going to be ok!

swajj
25-02-17, 22:25
You are going to have your beautiful little baby soon. I'm not a mental health professional but it makes sense that losing your last baby has had a great impact on your mental health. You have had all those ECGs and something would have shown up if anything was wrong. Keep reminding yourself of that.

Charlie1108
25-02-17, 22:26
I've gone into panic mode. I'm sure I just felt be pulse double beating in my neck

Dave1
25-02-17, 22:29
You've had all those normal ECGs!!

NancyW
25-02-17, 22:29
[QUOTE=Charlie1108;1652506]I've gone into panic mode. I'm sure I just felt be pulse double beating in my neck[/QUOTE

How about Youtubing meditation.. pick a meditation video to follow.. something relaxing for you.

Get somewhere comfy.. and concentrate on your breathing and relaxing..

swajj
25-02-17, 22:34
Stop feeling your pulse. It is a waste of time. If the doctors thought there was even the slightest chance that something was wrong they would have put you in hospital. Imagine the public outrage it would cause if they left a pregnant woman with a heart condition untreated.

---------- Post added at 08:04 ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 ----------

For what it's worth I used to always feel my pulse doing double beats when my HA was focused on my ectopic beats. It meant nothing.

NancyW
25-02-17, 22:34
CHARLIE1108 ?

Have you read my posts? can you respond to me please?

Charlie1108
25-02-17, 22:37
I hope this is anxiety. My head (nor my heart) is allowing me to believe this. I will look into the meditating. Ive been reading that 10% of ECGs come back normal with this condition

Dave1
25-02-17, 22:42
I would suggest meditating while listening to relaxing music or meditating while noticing all the sounds you can hear, (open the window to allow sounds from outside. Notice the sounds coming and going). I say this because I find the type of meditating while being aware of your breathing or your body doesn't work with my HA.

swajj
25-02-17, 22:50
10 percent maybe but not on multiple ECG's. You need to calm down for your baby's sake. I'm sure you know that he or she is picking up on your stress. I can imagine how difficult it is for you to cope with such severe anxiety while you are pregnant. But you need to calm down.

---------- Post added at 08:20 ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 ----------

Yes try the meditation. Or just try relaxing in front of the tv and stop taking your pulse. That is bound to increase the skips, which will increase your anxiety and that will affect your pulse more...it's a vicious cycle.

Dave1
25-02-17, 22:52
You've had all those normal ECGs!!

Ive been reading that 10% of ECGs come back normal with this condition

OK then, what about all the doctors you've seen?

Get out of that! :) ;)

DonnaT
25-02-17, 22:57
10% is tiny. remember all the info we talked about, 16 ecg's looked at by many different QUALIFIED people, I know these people are very qualified because I worked in a cardiology department. none of them sent you to get you for extra tests. no family history apart from uncle who has a history of hypertension. your pregnant and its VERY VERY VERY normal to get palpitations. is ah anyone home with you??

Charlie1108
25-02-17, 23:04
They've only ever been checked in a&e not by cardiology. My partner is at home, downstairs escaping me. Poor sod deserves a break

ServerError
25-02-17, 23:11
They've only ever been checked in a&e not by cardiology. My partner is at home, downstairs escaping me. Poor sod deserves a break

Cardiologists are some of the best-paid doctors in the profession - for obvious reasons. You'll only see one if you present with a clinical need to do so. A&E can assess the results of an EKG. If anything showed up, you'd be referred to a cardiologist.

DonnaT
25-02-17, 23:23
staff in a&e see ecg's all the time, I know I worked there to :blush: because ecg's are so hard to read they would of had course after course on how to read them. hospitals never hang around when they see something is wrong and if they did find something they would of sent you to see a cardiologist. (I promise) the reason why I replied to your post was because I wanted to help put your mind at ease by telling you that I had palpatations when pregnant, I had loads of them I really did I'm not telling a lie but because it is the truth. as you know when your anxious your body plays tricks on you. ive had ha for over 12 years now and I have convinced myself that ive had many illnesses, I once convinced myself so badly that I had all the the symptoms the doctor ran a major test, once it was over and I was in the car most of my symptoms had disappeared. I really hope your ok, maybe go and find your partner and go and have a hug I know that sounds soppy but its always made me feel so much better. have you got any more baby planning to do???

---------- Post added at 03:23 ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 ----------

i really feel for you because i have been there so many times and i just wish i could do more to help you feel better

LE
25-02-17, 23:26
I've not read through all the comments but given you are 30weeks preg there should be a local mother and baby peri and post natal my ward.

I know this because I admitted myself to one just before Xmas. I am in Scotland. Becuase of the pregnancy I think you can go in from 30 weeks and either stay in or go back when you are post natal. I went in when my baby was about 8 weeks. I wasthere 3 weeks and it was the best thing I did. It's not usually a huge ward and it's set up for mums and their babies.xxx

Catherine S
25-02-17, 23:46
I read something today, where the poster quoted something a cardiologist said, that sometimes our hearts get angry with us, and I thought that was spot on. When my heart starts it's dance as it did earlier tonight, skipping and fluttering, I was just imagining that it was really angry with me....probably because I'd been daft enough to have a glass of wine which my digestive system doesn't cope with too well, and stomach and heart are often connected via the vagus nerve of course.

And Charlie, your baby is quite big now and pushing your stomach to one side and putting pressure on your diaphram which can be one of the main reasons for experiencing the palpitations. You haven't got long to go now and your baby will drop lower down after which you'll get more relief from these heart symptoms.

ISB x

GlassPinata
25-02-17, 23:49
GlassPinata are you male or female??? That is one of the most unhelpful things to say to a pregnant woman especially a pregnant woman with anxiety. I'm guessing your male by that comment or you have never suffered anxiety in pregnancy.

I wanted to really reply to you, I have four bubbas, my lg is still a bubba and I wanted to tell you I know how your feeling especially at this point. It is so so hard being pregnant and having anxiety it really is. I just want to tell you your strong enough to fight the need to go in to hospital. Did your doctors explain that heart palpatations are really really common in later pregnancy??? its where your heart is having to work harder to pump the blood around you both, I suffered loads from palpatations, when I laid down when I stood up, when I walked. you have been very sensible to get the e.c.g but please try and listen to your little good angel and remember what people have told you about being fine. I honestly had them loads and loads, I really hope your ok and if you need a chat I know where your coming from completely. Have you tried mindfulness I know that helped me loads, just type it in on the computer. have they offered you cbt? have they sent you to be seen by a special pregnancy metal health team??? these are all options. take care remember I'm here for a chat if you need to

I am female and I work in early childhood ed (albeit in the US).
I am telling her, be careful, wait til your baby is born. Then make the decision whether to seek help. it is 8 more weeks (assuming it goes full term). What can it hurt to wait 8 weeks?
I have had 3 children, i know the way we feel when we are pregnant is not necessarily the way we will feel after our children are born.
Pregnancy hormones can do a number on you.
My advice is to wait. Take it or leave it.

MyNameIsTerry
26-02-17, 04:55
I am female and I work in early childhood ed (albeit in the US).
I am telling her, be careful, wait til your baby is born. Then make the decision whether to seek help. it is 8 more weeks (assuming it goes full term). What can it hurt to wait 8 weeks?
I have had 3 children, i know the way we feel when we are pregnant is not necessarily the way we will feel after our children are born.
Pregnancy hormones can do a number on you.
My advice is to wait. Take it or leave it.

No, you said none of that. Your comment came across as scaremongering.

Thankfully in the UK we don't operate in such a manner in dealing with complicated situations with children, we've moved on since draconian times.

---------- Post added at 04:35 ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 ----------

If you want to be admitted I've been told you need to tell a lie and say you're suicidal, but that's not something I could easily do..

No one should do that. Places are limited and anyone doing this could be taking the place of someone who really needs it.

They boot people out of some of these places too early because they need the beds.

---------- Post added at 04:38 ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 ----------

I know it is hard to focus, to get away from the cyclical thinking. I am going to tell you something that works for me, and it sounds silly, but it really helps me when my anxiety is peaking at its worst.

Run. Bike. Do something, anything physical. And do it as intensely as you are able to. Don't amble when you can walk slow, don't walk slow when you can jog. Really push yourself physically.

It is amazing how much good this does me, as hard as it might be to motivate myself to do so. It burns off adrenaline, glucose, and a lot of the other biochemical things going on that contribute to our elevated anxiety. The worst thing in the world for me is to sit idle and let my mind stew.

If you have never given this a go, try it.

EDIT: Saw the part about cardiac issues, but do the most you are able to safely ;-)

Don't forget she is six months pregnant. Intense exercise may need a doctor signing it off. It's often avoided in pregnancy.

---------- Post added at 04:49 ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 ----------

Assuming the UK is similar to here, you can't just admit yourself or section yourself, even when you are at your wit's end, unfortunately.

When I was really bad a year ago I went to emergency 3 times and they almost laughed at me when I said I needed to be in hospital. Unless you are an obvious danger to others or are a high suicide risk they don't have the resources to deal with you.

Are you getting any treatment (meds/therapy) or support at the moment?

Yep, it's like that. We have voluntary & mandatory sections. You have to be a danger to yourself or others, proven incapable to look after yourself for other reasons or be considered mentally incapable (psychosis episode, delusion, etc).

You can admit yourself to private clinics, they will take your money easily as they do for the various things ranging from the trivial that celebrities go in them for.

Charlie, I really think you need to get to your doctor and preferably to a pregnancy referral. Doctors can be wary about meds in pregnancy but NICE have guidance that says some have conflicting evidence of any risk and the doctor should weigh up whether that's better than the stress on the mother.

One pregnant member was told to get off meds by her GP but she saw someone in her pregnancy referral who was trained in antidepressants in pregnancy and he disagreed.

It may not be for you, and you may be personally against it as is your right, but perhaps there are options you are not aware of at this stage?

I know how anxiety make you feel so bad you want to be locked up & dosed our of your mind so you can't feel anymore pain. I've been through that. Each day is hell and getting up to it again makes you cry. It is just pain, it's making you feel like you've had enough. This can pass. So, if it has been building up recently maybe it's just you need the release valve to let some pressure out and then you can cope better?

---------- Post added at 04:55 ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 ----------

I'm guessing your male by that comment or you have never suffered anxiety in pregnancy.

:ohmy: Some of us are able to walk without getting sore knuckles, Donna :D (I know what you mean by it though, I've met plenty who are still actively "evolving" :winks:)

LE
26-02-17, 04:57

I'm sorry but having just seen this I am impelled to comment again.

As someone who was post natal with severe health anxiety Nov/Dec you will see my posts and all the support I received. I went into a peri natal mental health ward. During this time I was there for 3 weeks I seen people go who were in before me and I am in touch with those who left after me and I can assure you that all of these women still have their babies. And for that matter very few even have social services involvement. I certainly don't.

This is scaremongering and why so many mothers suffer. Charlie if you are already in touch with the peri nata team have they discussed admission with you? It may or may not be what is right for you. Only you will know that but please don't let anyone scare you.

I went in to get myself on track to getting well. I was in a terrible place. I was NOT suicidal. I wasn't eating becuase I believed I had als. I knew I wasn't going to get better if I didn't take those steps and it gave me a chance to have on hand emotional support, time out for trying to juggle my family life alongside a new baby and the severe debilitating anxiety.

That, meds, cbt and comittment to keeping my days planned help distract me. I also believe the hormones had a huge role to play.

I don't normally get involved in challenging other posts but as a woman in the uk who had just been through this I think it is shocking to say to a vulnerable woman that her baby will be taken away from her and I find it even more frightening that you are claiming to be some sort of paediatric profession. I work
vulnerable families and it's because of comments like these that frighten people to seek help.

Out of order.

MyNameIsTerry
26-02-17, 05:21
I'm sorry but having just seen this I am impelled to comment again.

As someone who was post natal with severe health anxiety Nov/Dec you will see my posts and all the support I received. I went into a peri natal mental health ward. During this time I was there for 3 weeks I seen people go who were in before me and I am in touch with those who left after me and I can assure you that all of these women still have their babies. And for that matter very few even have social services involvement. I certainly don't.

This is scaremongering and why so many mothers suffer. Charlie if you are already in touch with the peri nata team have they discussed admission with you? It may or may not be what is right for you. Only you will know that but please don't let anyone scare you.

I went in to get myself on track to getting well. I was in a terrible place. I was NOT suicidal. I wasn't eating becuase I believed I had als. I knew I wasn't going to get better if I didn't take those steps and it gave me a chance to have on hand emotional support, time out for trying to juggle my family life alongside a new baby and the severe debilitating anxiety.

That, meds, cbt and comittment to keeping my days planned help distract me. I also believe the hormones had a huge role to play.

I don't normally get involved in challenging other posts but as a woman in the uk who had just been through this I think it is shocking to say to a vulnerable woman that her baby will be taken away from her and I find it even more frightening that you are claiming to be some sort of paediatric profession. I work
vulnerable families and it's because of comments like these that frighten people to seek help.

Out of order.

Very well said, LE. And all credit to you for taking the decision you did and working hard to get through it all.

Psychiatric wards can be very difficult places. Some people on here have said they were peaceful, others that they were a nightmare of violence on the ward. I know my local one has a reputation for the latter.

Something specifically for pregnant women sounds great and I exp the environment to be much more peaceful for obvious reasons other than simply mental health.

With you being in Scotland, you have your own NHS so things may differ if Charlie is in England. We do have comprehensive NICE guidelines to cover pregnancy combined with mental health issues of anxiety or depression which tell doctors to be offering therapy services which means IAPT usually unless someone is severe enough to need the CMHT services or if it's too complex an issue for IAPT to provide for.

I won't link to the guidelines as it talks about meds too which can be triggering for people.

Charlie1108
26-02-17, 09:55
Thank you for al the helpful responses - they are very much appreciated. I didn't sleep too well - woke up with a racing heart on numerous occasions. But then again, I fell asleep in a bit of a state. I've had breakfast which has caused the palpitations to return but I'm not exactly being active which I know exacerbates them. I suppose all I can do now is wait for my echo and then take it from there. I'm trying to "take heart" (ha ha) from all my ECGs having been fine and I really need to work on getting my mental health up to scratch before the arrival of our baby girl. The difficulty is that I can have a really good few hours with minimal anxiety and then it strikes twice as hard the next day, making it difficult to see that it is anxiety. Again, I really appreciate the support I received yesterday evening )for the most part). I'm so glad I've found no more panic. What a great bunch of people x

MyNameIsTerry
26-02-17, 10:26
Yeah, I remember when I was much worse I would really feel the shift back from less anxiety to loads of it. It brought on despair after a few days of it. This gets easier as you move forward as all the peaks & drops are less harsh.

Try to hold onto the fact that you do have easier periods. It's not much comfort when you're struggling but try to embrace them when they come and not worry about when the anxiety will return. It's only natural to worry about that but the more you stop yourself, the more the better periods last as we tend to bring them back around too early.