PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm having a heart attack

ceeper
25-02-17, 23:53
I'm fairly young, just in my teens, but suddenly last night I felt my chest tighten and a sharp pain in my lower left chest just under my rib cage began. Today I notice no pain there, and I can breathe okay. The rapid heartbeat, indigestion and chest tightness are what concern me. Reading about it makes it worse, since people my age can possibly have heart attacks. I already have pre-existing moderate to severe anxiety and I have had a stressful week, so I don't know if anxiety is playing tricks on me. I'm so terrified of dropping dead at any moment. I also haven't eaten much for a few days so I don't know if that has something to do with it.

ServerError
26-02-17, 00:10
People of any age can have heart attacks. That's a fact we all have to live with. However, if you're young and take care of yourself, you massively reduce your risk to the point where pretty much need to have a congenital defect in order to have one.

What you describe doesn't sound anything like a heart attack, frankly.

Fishmanpa
26-02-17, 00:23
As someone old enough to be your father, has had two heart attacks, bypass surgery and stents, nothing you said indicates anything sinister. That and the fact you're posting here and waiting for responses ;)

Positive thoughts

ceeper
26-02-17, 00:26
Okay... I went to the doctor's office two days ago also, and my heart rate, blood pressure and everything else looked okay. I know it's irrational, but it's just concerning.

Thank you for responding.

Dave1
26-02-17, 00:33
Very occasionally I get a pin-sharp pain in my left chest about two-thirds the way down the ribs. It feels like I won't be able to breathe in again without it being too painful, but after a few seconds it disappears! It always happens in the same place. It's happened all my life - no idea what it is, except it's completely harmless. Maybe that's what you had?

Clydesdale Epona
26-02-17, 00:36
Health anxiety sucks at the best of times, i can assure you nothing indicates one and your risk is rather low but i know how annoying the thought can be, i used to have the same fear x

All the best :hugs:

ceeper
26-02-17, 00:51
Dave1, I have that too. It's called pleurisy I believe. This has been going on for a day and a half though, so it can't be that. Thank you, though.