PDA

View Full Version : Umbilical Hernia

Rey1989
26-02-17, 00:47
Hello everyone,

Back again. So yesterday the dr. Told me I have an umbilical hernia, which apparently i've had since i was a kid. The upseting thing is that he basically told me to deal with it, as it is quite small at the moment. I don't want it to get worse over time, and just the thought of it growing groses me out. Should I push for surgical repair? Theres mild discomfort but im aftaid its only going to get worse from here. Not to mention I was doing heavy lifting at the gym, finally getting in shape, motivated, and now this happens. Any comments/suggestions as to what I should do/expect? Has anybody ever suffered from an umbilical hernia? Just when I thought my health anxiety was under control this happens :) gotta love it. Thanks for reading!

Sixpack
26-02-17, 01:16
Okay, trying not to be rude pointing this out---but you have had this since you were a kid and you are now thinking it is going to be a major issue and you are going to allow your anxious thinking to spiral you into an anxious mess over it?

My suggestion is to not worry over this truly minor thing. Your doctor told you to deal with it. So it is obviously not anything concerning. I think if this umbilical hernia is upsetting you so much, your HA was not so very controlled as you may have thought.

IF it gets worse over time, then address it then. We ALL have to deal with things over time. It is part of life, I am afraid.

Just my thoughts this.

---------- Post added at 20:16 ---------- Previous post was at 19:58 ----------

Also my 16 yr old daughter has one---at least she did when she was an itty bitty thing. Being she is 16 I don't see her belly button much any more. Doc basically told me that it was nothing to fret over and worry about it IF it became a real problem.

Rey1989
26-02-17, 01:55
Thanks for replying. I guess i did not provide much detail at the begining. I was born with it, according to my mother, but it wasnt until friday (28 years later) than it became an issue after lifting heavy weights and experiencing abdominal pain, more specifically around my belly button. I noticed then a bulge and went to the dr, who then confirmed that there is a hernia there. From doing some research ive seen that is much better to deal with it when its small rather than waiting for it to get worse over time, because hernias wont heal on their own. My frustration came when the dr simply told me to wait and see. Seems to be a common conduct of my family dr, so I wanted to as you wonderful people if I should indeed seek further medical check ups and possible surgery to repair the thing. Once again, thank you for taking the time to reply.

Rey

Sixpack
26-02-17, 02:05
I think it better to wait and see. You have some doctors ready to JUMP and do procedures when it is not necessary to do so.

---------- Post added at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was at 20:58 ----------

However, if you want to pursue surgery, it is up to you.

Rey1989
26-02-17, 03:39
Thank you for your input Sixpack!