PDA

View Full Version : Health anxiety relating to those around you?

Haced
26-02-17, 18:57
(I made a post about this on another forum seeing as AnxZon went down in December but I want to see what advice people here have)

Hello. I've had my own bouts of hypochondria, usually relating to things like cancer (brain, pancreatic, breast) and ALS/vCJD, and I was wondering, is it normal/does anyone else here ever get hypochondria relating to those around you?

Recently my hypochondria has come back over my parents, specifically my mom. I've gotten really concerned recently over the thought that she could possibly have cancer (brain cancer) or something along those lines. I don't really have anything to back me up, because she's acting as she usually does and is acting perfectly fine, but I'm still, for some reason, incredibly afraid of this possibility.

In my last bout of hypochondria I had something happen like this for a while too, but I'm still feeling really anxious about this today. Does anyone have any advice on how to cope with/fix this? I'm scared out of my mind right now and I don't know what to do.

Sphincterclench
26-02-17, 19:52
I have health anxiety but unfortunately Im selfish its all about me...

thats not to say I dont worry about my wife, kids or leaving them without me, but I dont concern myself with them having the illnesses I think I have.

PASchoolSyndrome
26-02-17, 20:31
My health anxiety stems from my life being so perfect around me that I'm worried I'll get sick and die before I can enjoy it to the fullest (silly - just enjoy every day to the fullest anyway, right?) Typical "it's all going so great, something bad is just around the corner", which yeah.. That's called life lol.

My fiance's father had testicular AND prostate cancer (beat both - whoo!), however he was only in his late 50s and they both came in quick succession, so unfortunately I think he has that "lucky" genetic make up. Fiance thinks he's too young to go in for regular check ups, he's 25, but we're getting married in a year and a half once I finish med school and I'm so concerned he is at a higher risk than normal and he'll catch it too late. Kind of silly, but I worry. My father died of a brain tumor at 53 so I worry excessively about my health too.

I've yet to convince him to let me perform genital and rectal exam.. Says we need to keep some secrets between us LOL.

cattia
26-02-17, 21:12
Yes, I have it relating to other people, mainly my kids. This is the worst kind of anxiety to deal with in many ways, as I am SOOOO conscious that I don't want to pass my anxiety on to them. I have to be very careful about taking them to the Dr, because I don't want to take them unnecessarily, and I also have to be super careful not to mention my worries when I am around them. It's very hard, but I think it's also natural if you suffer from anxiety for it to focus around the ones you love, as you are worried about them not being around any more in the same way that you worry about yourself not being around any more. The ironic thing is that I have a terrible fear of death, yet I would die to protect my kids without question!

Haced
27-02-17, 02:13
Thank all of you so much for this. It feels good that I'm not alone. I'll bring it up to the therapist next time I see them.