PDA

View Full Version : Depression/Anxiety Worse When Sick?

MOchp
27-02-17, 23:54
So I just went to the doctor today after having to miss work due to feeling super crappy with a painful/swollen throat, chills, aches, fever and some other crappy symptoms. I was diagnosed with strep throat and prescribed antibiotics and told some general remedies to help with discomfort. What I'm curious though is to see if others have noticed their depression and anxiety coming out or getting worse during times of being sick with thins like this? I was already not feeling 100% but since yesterday when I started feeling crappy physically, I've found myself fighting back tears from random crappy thoughts.

Clydesdale Epona
28-02-17, 03:03
Being ill can definitely bring you down and make it worse as infection is already affecting your body and making your body weaker it can also hit you mentally and test your resilience,
last year when I had a norovirus i can honestly tell you i never felt crappier x

All the best :hugs:

MyNameIsTerry
28-02-17, 05:31
Strep throat is a known cause of temporary OCD symptoms in children that go away again once treated. This is newer research so there is probably some way to go before we know for sure but I wonder if it exacerbates existing OCD? I reckon it's likely.

When I relapsed & went off work, I picked a cold up the week after. It significantly reduced my anxiety. As soon as the cold started going my anxiety rocketed back up to how it was before.

I've seen plenty of threads about this and people do find it harder. Some of us have the opposite.

Obviously there is the issue with symptom focus and I would expect HA sufferers to spiral over any illness.

MOchp
28-02-17, 13:43
Thanks for the replies. Hopefully as I start feeling better from treating the strep I'll start feeling better mentally. Just woke up not too long ago and almost immediately started feeling anxious. Hate feeling like this on top of an already crappy feeling infection.