PDA

View Full Version : can they throw me out of a course because a realy bad panic attack

didi 13
28-02-17, 11:06
Im in the uk studying beauty therapy, i have a bad enxiety dissorder, specifically with writen axams. Last class exam i had a panic attack, dissabeling, almost loosing contiosness ( sadly ive had many of these and itsnot that special). Its the first time they ever saw one, and now, a month from the exam they r concidering me not do the test.
Can they do that?

Citydeer
28-02-17, 12:57
It sounds like they have not been very understanding :-( I am sorry to hear. Do you think you could get your doctor to write a letter explaining your condition to them? or provide a medical certificate?

didi 13
28-02-17, 23:51
We r trying to, but my exams are in 3 weeks. Now they suspended me, and everyday counts

Citydeer
01-03-17, 12:40
If possible try to see a GP as soon as you can. Even an NHS walk in clinic maybe if you can't get into your normal GP. Or a private GP if you can afford it. It sounds like the sooner you provide your college with medical evidence, the better. I'm pretty sure it is discrimination to suspend someone on the basis of a medical condition.

Lissa101
06-03-17, 12:37
We r trying to, but my exams are in 3 weeks. Now they suspended me, and everyday counts

That is outrageous! Did they give you any reasons? They sound very inexperienced with this type of situation. Are there any councillors/therapists at your college who you could talk to and who could intervene on your behalf? I just finished a PhD where I had to work with dangerous chemicals in a lab and I had great support. There's no reason I can think of why they are justified in suspending you. Hugs x

Clydesdale Epona
06-03-17, 13:39
My brother took music in college and had horrific anxiety, a panic attack is no reason to kick you off a course, they should have support through counsellors and tutors to help you get through it, i can't imagine they'd be allowed to kick you off unless they think it's really affecting your mental health/wellbeing x

All the best :hugs:

MyNameIsTerry
07-03-17, 06:53
This does sound like discrimination to me. To suspend you for a panic attack in an exam is very over the top since it may never happen again anyway. They have to consider all students, not just the one with the potential medical condition, but taking such a strict action without consideration to reasonable adjustments sounds like a knee jerk reaction to me.

Is this a paid course? That might mean even more cover legally as they are refusing to provide services paid for it they haven't got clauses to cover themselves for this.

You may also need to consider any VISA requirements. That may strengthen your case against them if they are being unreasonable.

I think you need legal advice about this. You could start with the CAB. If it could affect got stay here, there is always the immigration service.