PDA

View Full Version : Worrying again!

Emily101115
28-02-17, 19:36
So I started back at the gym today after having 2 weeks off,weighed myself and I've went from 12st 8lb to 12st 4lb.What is worrying me is I have not been eating as healthy as I should (few takeouts)

I am picking bits from slimming world to follow.I have been under stress and worry and I think some depression,could this contribute?

Of course this is not doing my health anxiety any good as I am fearing now that I have something sinister going on.

Some of you may have read previous posts of mine from me worrying over skin cancer/Melanoma.I am due to go back and see my Gp on the 6/3/17 for the 3rd time over a small freckle on my chest.

I had a good weekend and yesterday.Since jumping on the scales this morning at the gym it's knocked me again! I am wanting to loose weight I know I should be happy but I can't help but worry as I've not done much to loose it:(

Please help

lblove
28-02-17, 20:09
Weight loss is a trigger of mine also. My mom always jokes on me that most people would kill to have my body and I am sitting here worrying that losing weight is a sign of a deadly disease. I hate it when people say "oh looks like you've lost weight" I feel the prickles go down my skin and I get hot with anxiety. I work out and eat decently but when I eat bad and expect to have gained weight and I don't then I am questioning myself as to why I am not gaining weight. You have to stop looking at the scale. Checking the scale for me became an anxiety inducing checking behavior.

Toaster
28-02-17, 22:43
I once had anxiety so badly that I lost 25-30 pounds.

I couldn't keep down food. It was pretty bad. I assumed the worst. Ended up that there was zero wrong with me and I gained the weight back plus 20 pounds.

montys
01-03-17, 04:15
Changing diet/exercise is an amazing and productive way to tackle and regulate anxiety, but you have to make sure that it doesn't become a compulsive, unhealthy behavior. I too struggled with this for some time.

Measuring weight is important in charting your progress, but I would highly advise against doing it every day if you're starting to obsess over it. Try to restrict yourself to a few times a week. You'll get the same information but induce far less stress.

Weight fluctuates heavily day-to-day from a great many number of factors (hydration, how much you ate, whether or not you pooped, etc.).

Focus on the quality and consistency of diet/exercise instead of weight. It's a bad metric :)

Kay8010
01-03-17, 14:41
I am a weighing FREAK! I weigh myself every fortnight without fail on the same scales at the same time, right now I am going through a lung cancer scare but still eating loads & more however I have lost 1lb in a fortnight so its triggered my thoughts now even more so!!!

Sphincterclench
01-03-17, 17:52
"oh looks like you've lost weight"

Id rather be called names, instant trigger I catch myself eating when I am not even hungry just so I dont lose weight.

Kathryn313
01-03-17, 20:44
This is so me. I have lost 5lb this week since starting slimming world in earnest and there is a part of me that just wont believe its natural weight loss! I have a CBT top up at the end of this week as i knew I would struggle with this and a few other bits that have gone one his week.

Kay8010
01-03-17, 20:59
Im just pain outright freaked out!!! Im eating ao much yet ive lost !!! Something is up!

Emily101115
02-03-17, 15:36
Thank you all for replying to me.I have when on my batherroom scales this afternoon and they are saying I'm 12st 1lb,really can't stop worrying my tummy is churning at the thought of something being seriously wrong

---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:34 ----------

Im just pain outright freaked out!!! Im eating ao much yet ive lost !!! Something is up!

Yes I am really hungry all the time yet eating quite a bit,how is this possible to have an increased appetite yet loosing weight?

Kay8010
02-03-17, 16:12
I really cannot say what the heck is going on but I am back at the GP tomorrow.

I do weigh myself on the same scales (Boots) every fortnight so I know the scale is not wrong it is just freaking me out now too much!

Emily101115
02-03-17, 16:17
My bathroom scales have always given me off readings! I always use the scales at the gym which are the same at the boots ones.I was doing it every week and than I've had 2 weeks breaks and seem to have lost 3lb I'm worried sick.

How long does it take for excercise(legs,bums and tums/spinning/body tone) to have an affect? I am trying to think of everything possible but something bad going on

Kay8010
02-03-17, 16:24
My bathroom scales have always given me off readings! I always use the scales at the gym which are the same at the boots ones.I was doing it every week and than I've had 2 weeks breaks and seem to have lost 3lb I'm worried sick.

How long does it take for excercise(legs,bums and tums/spinning/body tone) to have an affect? I am trying to think of everything possible but something bad going on

I do not use my bathroom scales they are always wrong, weighed myself this morning on them and then at Boots today and I was a whole 12lbs under on my bathroom scales however still lost 1lb (without trying), freaking me out & I do not exercise or have in the last fortnight...at least you have exercised...

Capercrohnj
02-03-17, 17:03
I do not use my bathroom scales they are always wrong, weighed myself this morning on them and then at Boots today and I was a whole 12lbs under on my bathroom scales however still lost 1lb (without trying), freaking me out & I do not exercise or have in the last fortnight...at least you have exercised...
Part of the difference is 1. You probably were wearing clothes, shoes etc at the store and naked at home
2. Did you eat or drink before weighing yourself at boots? Food/liquid make you temporarily weigh more.

Kay8010
02-03-17, 17:06
Part of the difference is 1. You probably were wearing clothes, shoes etc at the store and naked at home
2. Did you eat or drink before weighing yourself at boots? Food/liquid make you temporarily weigh more.

Clothes on both scales

Weigh in the afternoon (I know it should be done first thing in the morning), but still lost 1lb!

Capercrohnj
02-03-17, 17:08
OK cool. Just see a lot of people complaining they weigh more at the doctor's without taking those 2 factors into account.

Kay8010
02-03-17, 17:11
OK cool. Just see a lot of people complaining they weigh more at the doctor's without taking those 2 factors into account.

I know thanks for responding though, its worrying times!

Emily101115
03-03-17, 18:37
I know thanks for responding though, its worrying times!

How did you get in at the doctors?

---------- Post added at 18:37 ---------- Previous post was at 15:12 ----------

Just looking for some advice please.

In November 2016 when I joined slimming world I was 13st now hitting my lowest 12st 4lb,my weight had been up and down.

If I had something serious wrong would my weight be up and down?
Please help I'm trying to stay as positive as I can

Emily101115
04-03-17, 07:06
Anybody?

Going my bathroom scales this morning I am 12st 2lb
So sick of feeling this way

Kay8010
04-03-17, 10:45
Anybody?

Going my bathroom scales this morning I am 12st 2lb
So sick of feeling this way

Hi there

I chickened out & cancelled my appointment was too scared to go!

Capercrohnj
04-03-17, 12:59
Do you count/track your calories?

Emily101115
04-03-17, 16:33
Do you count/track your calories?

No I don't

---------- Post added at 16:33 ---------- Previous post was at 15:16 ----------

Hi there

I chickened out & cancelled my appointment was too scared to go!

That is half of my battle,I put off going to the drs for weeks,I am there Monday

Kay8010
04-03-17, 16:37
No I don't

---------- Post added at 16:33 ---------- Previous post was at 15:16 ----------

That is half of my battle,I put off going to the drs for weeks,I am there Monday
In hindsight I should not have cancelled as now the next appointment is on on Mar 21st! Let me know what the Dr says.

Emily101115
05-03-17, 07:32
I will thank you.

---------- Post added at 07:32 ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 ----------

Sat going over and over trying to stay positive,if I was really ill wouldn't I have lost so much more weight,wouldn't I be really ill and. It having 'good days'
Looking at myself I can't see where I have lost it from at the moment but some of my trousers feel looser.I do get bouts of IBS would be stepping on the scales being bloated add on more,have I actually been getting an acuarate reading all this time?

I don't have a clue I'm just worried sick,does health anxiety ever go?

Kay8010
05-03-17, 09:12
I will thank you.

Sat going over and over trying to stay positive,if I was really ill wouldn't I have lost so much more weight,wouldn't I be really ill and. It having 'good days'
Looking at myself I can't see where I have lost it from at the moment but some of my trousers feel looser.I do get bouts of IBS would be stepping on the scales being bloated add on more,have I actually been getting an acuarate reading all this time?

Im just as worried terrified to jump on the scales again. My cough has returned but so bad at night i cant control it! Wakes me up plus this back pain its not just coincidence or anxiety!

pulisa
05-03-17, 09:36
Did you decide against leaving NMP to concentrate on your recovery, Kay?

---------- Post added at 09:36 ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 ----------

I will thank you.

Either stop weighing yourself obsessively or get rid of your scales if you can't stop yourself...You have to help yourself if you want to manage your HA.

Emily101115
05-03-17, 11:13
Well I've just went on the scales again at Boots and according to that 12st 3lbs now I feel sick I can't cope

Kathryn313
05-03-17, 11:56
Hi Emily.

Out of interest and because I cant quite follow a logical thread through this post, what was you weight when you started to worry and what is it now? How many readings do you have between then and now?

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 ----------

Ok...I think I can see that on the 28th February you weighed yourself at the gym and you weighted 12.4, one week later you weigh 12.3. With some additional lower readings inbetween that time. That is a 1lb weight loss.

I suffer the same anxieties as you when to comes to what I called unexplained weight loss and its associations, so I have been known to react just as you are now.

When I was worried about lung cancer, I plotted my weight loss and saw I had lost 8 lbs over a few weeks without trying.This confirmed to me that something odd was going on, I checked websites and they confirmed my fears even more.

However I never searched for anxiety and weight loss, because obviously i was dying...i wasn't just anxious...if I had I would have found lots like this...

Why can anxiety cause weight loss?
Anxiety can cause weight loss for several reasons:

1. Behaving apprehensively activates the body’s stress response. The stress response causes the body to secrete stress hormones into the bloodstream where they travel to targeted spots in the body to bring about specific physiological, psychological, and emotional changes that enhance the body’s ability to deal with a threat—to either fight with or flee from it—which is the reason this response is often referred to as the fight or flight response or the emergency response.

Stress hormones are stimulants, which increase the body’s metabolism and fuel consumption. An increase in metabolism can tax the body’s energy resources harder than normal causing it to burn fuel faster. The faster the body burns fuel, the more it needs. If the body doesn’t receive sufficient fuel from the foods we eat, it will get the necessary fuel from the body’s fat stores. This can cause weight loss if our eating habits haven’t increased sufficiently to offset the increase in fuel consumption.

2. Behaving overly apprehensively can cause the body to become stress-response hyperstimulated, and hyperstimulation can cause stomach and digestive problems. Those who experience stomach and digestive problems due to persistently elevated stress generally eat less because of stomach distress. Eating less reduces the amount of available energy resources for the body, and less energy resources causes the body to use its fat stores for fuel. As the body depletes its fat stores, the body loses weight.

3. Stress-response hyperstimulation can cause an increase in “nervous energy,” which can cause the body to consume even more fuel. Increased nervous energy often makes it difficult to rest and relax, therefore you may find yourself constantly on the go. Going constantly requires more energy and more energy requires more fuel. So here again the body may be consuming more energy than is being consumed as food, which can cause weight loss.

4. Sleep disruption can cause an increase in cortisol, and since cortisol is a stress hormone stimulant, it can cause an increase in the body’s stimulation. Sleep disruption is often an indicator of elevated stress and its resulting hyperstimulation. When the body’s sleep is regularly disrupted, it can cause the body to produce more cortisol than normal. Since cortisol is a stress hormone stimulant, higher levels of cortisol can cause the body to work harder, which can cause an increase in fuel consumption.

5. Stress-response hyperstimulation decreases the body’s ability to absorb and process nutrients from food. Reduced nutrition can cause weight loss. The more hyperstimulated the body becomes, the more weight we can lose.

Since each body is somewhat chemically unique, not everyone will experience weight loss due to anxiety disorder.

So seeing the doctor and talking about your weight loss is a good thing if you need to, whenever i mentioned my 8lbs they shrugged it off and said that wasn't dramatic weight loss at all but if i think to people like us, usually finding it difficult to lose weight, losing it quickly and with a perception of ease, alarms us.

Emily101115
05-03-17, 16:00
Im just as worried terrified to jump on the scales again. My cough has returned but so bad at night i cant control it! Wakes me up plus this back pain its not just coincidence or anxiety!

Kay what back ache do you get? I get it on and off at my upper back that goes into the tops of my arms

---------- Post added at 16:00 ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 ----------

Hi Emily.

Out of interest and because I cant quite follow a logical thread through this post, what was you weight when you started to worry and what is it now? How many readings do you have between then and now?

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 ----------

Ok...I think I can see that on the 28th February you weighed yourself at the gym and you weighted 12.4, one week later you weigh 12.3. With some additional lower readings inbetween that time. That is a 1lb weight loss.

I suffer the same anxieties as you when to comes to what I called unexplained weight loss and its associations, so I have been known to react just as you are now.

When I was worried about lung cancer, I plotted my weight loss and saw I had lost 8 lbs over a few weeks without trying.This confirmed to me that something odd was going on, I checked websites and they confirmed my fears even more.

However I never searched for anxiety and weight loss, because obviously i was dying...i wasn't just anxious...if I had I would have found lots like this...

Why can anxiety cause weight loss?
Anxiety can cause weight loss for several reasons:

1. Behaving apprehensively activates the body’s stress response. The stress response causes the body to secrete stress hormones into the bloodstream where they travel to targeted spots in the body to bring about specific physiological, psychological, and emotional changes that enhance the body’s ability to deal with a threat—to either fight with or flee from it—which is the reason this response is often referred to as the fight or flight response or the emergency response.

Stress hormones are stimulants, which increase the body’s metabolism and fuel consumption. An increase in metabolism can tax the body’s energy resources harder than normal causing it to burn fuel faster. The faster the body burns fuel, the more it needs. If the body doesn’t receive sufficient fuel from the foods we eat, it will get the necessary fuel from the body’s fat stores. This can cause weight loss if our eating habits haven’t increased sufficiently to offset the increase in fuel consumption.

2. Behaving overly apprehensively can cause the body to become stress-response hyperstimulated, and hyperstimulation can cause stomach and digestive problems. Those who experience stomach and digestive problems due to persistently elevated stress generally eat less because of stomach distress. Eating less reduces the amount of available energy resources for the body, and less energy resources causes the body to use its fat stores for fuel. As the body depletes its fat stores, the body loses weight.

3. Stress-response hyperstimulation can cause an increase in “nervous energy,” which can cause the body to consume even more fuel. Increased nervous energy often makes it difficult to rest and relax, therefore you may find yourself constantly on the go. Going constantly requires more energy and more energy requires more fuel. So here again the body may be consuming more energy than is being consumed as food, which can cause weight loss.

4. Sleep disruption can cause an increase in cortisol, and since cortisol is a stress hormone stimulant, it can cause an increase in the body’s stimulation. Sleep disruption is often an indicator of elevated stress and its resulting hyperstimulation. When the body’s sleep is regularly disrupted, it can cause the body to produce more cortisol than normal. Since cortisol is a stress hormone stimulant, higher levels of cortisol can cause the body to work harder, which can cause an increase in fuel consumption.

5. Stress-response hyperstimulation decreases the body’s ability to absorb and process nutrients from food. Reduced nutrition can cause weight loss. The more hyperstimulated the body becomes, the more weight we can lose.

Since each body is somewhat chemically unique, not everyone will experience weight loss due to anxiety disorder.

So seeing the doctor and talking about your weight loss is a good thing if you need to, whenever i mentioned my 8lbs they shrugged it off and said that wasn't dramatic weight loss at all but if i think to people like us, usually finding it difficult to lose weight, losing it quickly and with a perception of ease, alarms us.
Thank you Kathryn.Looking at myself I can't where I have lost this weight just certain jeans that where tight now fit me very comfy on my legs.I should be really happy about this instead of worrying.

I have had this worry since December which is when all this stress and worry started me going from 13st down to 12st 6lb than starting the gym and going back up to 12st 8lb now with 3 weeks off the gym and unhealthy eating I am now 12st 3lb :(

Emily101115
06-03-17, 09:17
At the doctors this afternoon to get my freckle checked again on my chest,do I mention about this weight loss?

Been trying to think postitive all morning,thinking back I have never monitored my weight,it could have been up and down for a while for I know.I have started excersizing,I have made changes to the way I eat-I have swapped full cows milk for skimmed milk,I get lightest of everything,sunflower oil for fry light,muller lights yogurts,more fruits,I always have breakfast now where as I never used too.

I am really trying to think of all of the positives here.

Fishmanpa
06-03-17, 12:20
At the doctors this afternoon to get my freckle checked again on my chest,do I mention about this weight loss?

After several pages discussing your worry about this, I would definitely ask about it. Otherwise, you'll continue to needlessly worry.

Positive thoughts

Emily101115
06-03-17, 15:44
After several pages discussing your worry about this, I would definitely ask about it. Otherwise, you'll continue to needlessly worry.

Positive thoughts

Thank you fishmanpa

---------- Post added at 15:44 ---------- Previous post was at 13:30 ----------

Just to let you all know my Gp has referred me to the mole clinic under the 2 week referral rule he said he's not worried at all just wants to double check so not to worry,or is he just saying that because he knows how I am?

I didn't mention about the weight loss as my mind had went into panic mode:(all these symptoms seem to be connecting together now weight loss,changed freckle

Fishmanpa
06-03-17, 16:06
I didn't post on your weight loss thread because... well... it's just not concerning. During my wife's illness and hospitalization, I lost about 15 pounds. I was eating but probably not enough and the fact is, stress caused your metabolism to jack up and the stressed biology burns more calories. I've put back on a few since she's been home and doing better.

You know my campfire analogy right? Even when you're not feeling especially anxious, your body still has a hot bed of anxiety coals and that burns energy (calories). Sounds like you have a good GP and I have my "Told ya so" all ready when you get the all clear ;)

Positive thoughts

ServerError
06-03-17, 16:16
fishmanpa - are you saying all I need to do to lose weight is worry more? :D

Fishmanpa
06-03-17, 17:21
fishmanpa - are you saying all I need to do to lose weight is worry more? :D

~lol~ I can think of healthier ways to lose weight ;)

Positive thoughts

Emily101115
13-03-17, 14:28
Hi all been a bit brighter this weekend,went to my gym class this morning,my weights has stayed at 12st 3lb tried not to worry too much and embrace it instead.

Just got my appointment through to see a dermatologist on Thursday 16th,hopefully they can check all my moles and freckles for me just to settle my mind?

Emily101115
13-03-17, 23:26
Can't sleep as I'm worrying Again:(

Emily101115
14-03-17, 11:39
I am now at the stage where I don't want to eat anything incase I carry on loosing weight but at the same time just want to eat loads,does anybody have any idea what could be going on

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 ----------

Thinking the worst I have cancer somewhere