PDA

View Full Version : Fast pulse

rainbow
01-03-17, 10:53
Since my anxiety started 6 months ago I've noticed my pulse rate is quite rapid most of the time, over 80 bpm.

Even just sitting here just now it's quite fast. Surely this can't be good for you if it's happening a lot?

Kay8010
01-03-17, 11:11
Mine is always elevated, last time I was at the GP it was 97bpm, he said nothing, it feels like my heart is beating fast right now but if I take it its 78 and I am sitting down when I walk up stairs its more like 110bpm! Last night I was sitting watching telly and it was 64bpm....strange!

rainbow
01-03-17, 17:35
Mine was even more rapid when I had to go out earlier, it was like that the whole time I was out.

Really tired of this anxiety now!

Kay8010
01-03-17, 17:40
Mine was even more rapid when I had to go out earlier, it was like that the whole time I was out.

Really tired of this anxiety now!

You and me both :(

ServerError
01-03-17, 17:42
Never will I ever understand why people buy heart monitors, or why you'd sit there counting your BPM. If you've been advised to do so by a medical professional, fine. But I've never s een a thread on here where ownership of a heart monitor or constantly checking your heart rate contributed to a positive outcome.

Kay8010
01-03-17, 17:48
Never will I ever understand why people buy heart monitors, or why you'd sit there counting your BPM. If you've been advised to do so by a medical professional, fine. But I've never s een a thread on here where ownership of a heart monitor or constantly checking your heart rate contributed to a positive outcome.

Well when your heart is racing and you resting you have to check, not constantly but you have to.....well I have to anyway.....

ServerError
01-03-17, 18:00
Well when your heart is racing and you resting you have to check, not constantly but you have to.....well I have to anyway.....

Have you been advised to do by a doctor? If so, fair enough.

On the other hand, if your diagnosis is anxiety, I'd question whether checking your heart rate is helping you.

Sphincterclench
01-03-17, 18:06
if I notice that its pounding I will check it on my apple watch but its not something I actively check and probably would do more to contribute to anxiety than lessen it.

ServerError
01-03-17, 18:09
Anxiety causes adrenaline to be released. Adrenaline makes the heart pound and/or race. Give someone a fright and their heart will run away with them. Doesn't mean it needs monitoring.

If your diagnosis is anxiety and the doctors aren't telling you to monitor your heart, I just think it can only make matters worse to monitor it anyway.

Capercrohnj
01-03-17, 18:12
80 is within the normal resting heart rate range.

MyNameIsTerry
01-03-17, 18:18
And your RHR is naturally higher in a sedentary person than one who exercises. Which also means a sedentary person will see it go up higher with the same exercise than someone who trains.

rainbow
01-03-17, 19:49
I'm not particularly worried about it but I'm so aware of it when I go out and its constant the whole time I'm out.

Capercrohnj
01-03-17, 20:41
Well if you are walking around of course your pulse will be 80+. My pulse is never below 100 when I am out and about.

roseanxiety
02-03-17, 01:19
60-100 is a normal pulse. Non-reportable.

rainbow
02-03-17, 11:06
Thanks, I thought 80 was quite high while at rest. It's about 120 when I have to leave the house.

Fishmanpa
02-03-17, 11:38
Thanks, I thought 80 was quite high while at rest. It's about 120 when I have to leave the house.

Based on the level of anxiety and stress you're constantly under, that's just not unusual.

Anxiety is like a campfire. When you're in the midst of a spiral the fire is burning bright and hot. When the flames die down, there's still a bed of red hot coals burning away just waiting for some more fuel. You may not feel anxious but your body is still on high alert and has a bed of hot anxiety coals inside just waiting to flare up. Just like a campfire, the hot coals of anxiety take a long time to finally go out.

Positive thoughts

rainbow
02-03-17, 12:06
You're right! A little worried that if it's constantly high that it can't be good for my health.

I really like the campfire story, it's so true. The thing is any time I feel my anxiety lowering I start thinking that I shouldn't relax incase something is wrong with me, it's an endless circle.

NM33013
02-03-17, 22:33
I know this post it almost two months old, but I have this issue too. When laying down or resting my heart rate is very normal. As soon as I stand up, it shoots off like a rocket.

Miznuvem0412
02-03-17, 22:35
Mine was 129 the doctor thought it could be due to anxiety of sleep deprivation . I haven't checked it since then :/
Gosh this is scary

bin tenn
02-03-17, 23:06
Mine was 129 the doctor thought it could be due to anxiety of sleep deprivation . I haven't checked it since then :/
Gosh this is scary

Mine has hit 130+ on multiple occasions while doing absolutely nothing. The cause was anxiety/panic, and it's not abnormal. What's scary about it? The heart is meant to handle those rapid rates, sometimes upwards of 170 BPM depending on age, without any harm done. Temporary increases will not harm you. If it were 130 BPM 24/7, yes, you would need to seek help, but a one-off sort of thing is usually no cause for alarm.

Miznuvem0412
03-03-17, 09:05
Mine has hit 130+ on multiple occasions while doing absolutely nothing. The cause was anxiety/panic, and it's not abnormal. What's scary about it? The heart is meant to handle those rapid rates, sometimes upwards of 170 BPM depending on age, without any harm done. Temporary increases will not harm you. If it were 130 BPM 24/7, yes, you would need to seek help, but a one-off sort of thing is usually no cause for alarm.

Good to know . I've been sleeping better so I think it's been a mix of anxiety and sleep deprivation :lac: anxiety and insomnia is seriously a bad mix

bin tenn
03-03-17, 13:52
Sleep deprivation and anxiety will certainly do it! I still don't get as much sleep as I should, due to a hectic family schedule, but if I did it'd probably reduce my BP and HR. Beta blocker does a good job for me though.