PDA

View Full Version : hyperventilating ?

insideout20
01-03-17, 21:42
so for 2 hours tonight I felt short of breath. it felt like a panic attack but lasted 2 hours and my heart rate was around 80 the whole time which is very unusual

my spo2 was 99 the whole time

I don't have classic hyperventilating where I am breathing very fast at times it was hard to talk

what is this ?

Fishmanpa
01-03-17, 21:48
Anxiety... (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms#BreathingShortness_of_breath)

Positive thoughts

insideout20
01-03-17, 22:09
I know. your comments are always so blunt perhaps not comment on my posts if that's all you want to do

insideout20
02-03-17, 08:27
is it possible something else could be causing this issue with my breathing ? the docs having me tested for asthma but whenever I use the blue inhaler it doesn't make any difference and I don't wheeze

Ditapage
02-03-17, 08:55
I've had this before and it's basically being too fixated on your breathing. It torturrd me for months until I snapped out of it by saying if I can breathe I'm not suffocating, and if I can hold my breath, I'm not suffocating. It just feels awful and its anxiety. Asthma is more wheezing and coughing. I thought that's what I had too but no asthma, no lung condition just over breathing which gives the sensation of not getting enough air when you're actually getting too much. Try holding your breath - that reassured me ever since because the doctor said if you were truly short of breath, you couldn't.

insideout20
02-03-17, 09:13
thanks for your helpful reply

are you over it now ? last night it lasted 2 hours, its not like I'm gasping for breath and breathing really hard like you had ben out running, its more like a shallow breath and as though I cant breATH OUT NOT IN ?

I deffo am fixated on it and more so last night I didn't have a racing heart but had tingling etc like I normally would with a panic attack

I also have a near constant blocked left nostril which really does make it worse because I never feel like I'm breathing proper.

just scared me how long it goes on for, then I read online if your panic attack lasts longer than an hour you need medical assistance but I cant imagine that's right, unless it was a full blown one non stop

I had a spell like this a few weeks ago and had chest xray, bloods and ecg and all ok

now its come back

Fishmanpa
02-03-17, 11:27
I know. your comments are always so blunt perhaps not comment on my posts if that's all you want to do

Sorry you feel that I was being blunt but did you read the link attached?.... It explains how and what happens and they're your symptoms to a "A" ;) But I'll honor your request. You want tea and sympathy and reassurance is unfortunately not something on my menu of help items.

Good luck to you and as always...

Positive thoughts

The hyperventilation as above plus your bronchial tubes dilate thus requiring more air than usual to fill the lungs so feels that it's taking more effort to breathe – it is , you're taking in more air at each breath.

What you feel:

You feel that your breathing is forced and laboured. You become conscious of how you are breathing and you have a hard time catching your breath. It seems like you have to force yourself to breathe, in fear that if you don't, you'll stop breathing and die. Or, for no apparent reason, you feel out of breath and find yourself doing an unusual amount of yawning in an attempt to catch your breath.

What causes this:

When stress biology changes the body, it quickens the breathing and respiration so that the individual is ready for immediate action. Unfortunately, this also means that the breathing becomes shallow in nature (unless we are physically exerting the body such as running, fighting, swimming, etc.) which results in the body not getting enough oxygen. That's why we feel out of breath. This is a natural occurring biological outcome resulting from stress biology.

Sometimes this symptom will be persistent from day to day, and other times it may appear for awhile, then disappear. Both are common. Once the nervous system calms down, you breathing will return to normal.

Also, because breathing is an automatic bodily function, you'll never have to worry about not breathing. Your body does it automatically. It may be shallow, but you'll always get enough oxygen.

Regular exercise helps to maintain regular breathing patterns.

As with all symptoms, when the nervous system gets sufficient rest, this symptom will diminish and eventually subside.

insideout20
02-03-17, 14:05
I wasn't looking for msympathy just the fact I felt like I had a panic attack without rapid heartrate but thanks for the detailed information

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 ----------

i have ordered a peak flow meter to test for asthma myself while I wait for apt through nhs, I don't understand why docs don't have one in the surgery to do there and then to give some indication ?