PDA

View Full Version : They should have biopsied

motherof3girlies
02-03-17, 01:10
So I had my scope done in December because i had trouble with food getting stuck in my esophagus, but my stomach felt fine. Now since Christmas I have had a lingering nagging pain in my upper left abdomen that comes and goes depending on my diet. Its crazy because it started ever since my friend has a friend who was diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer (at 33) that the doctors ignored for awhile before they finally scoped her. My GI didn't scope my stomach because it looked perfect, but what if cancer cells were lurking and didn't peak until now? I'm a complete mess, my stomach did get biopsied 2 years ago because i was having trouble swallowing, nausea, feeling full after a small meal, bloating and pain and it still looked perfect on the scope! Not even inflammation!!! I have had 3 scopes in 2 years and my stomach is perfect every time. I'm so confused as to what is wrong with me, I'm scared they missed something and should have biopsied my stomach, even if it looked perfect!!!

Clydesdale Epona
02-03-17, 09:13
Trust me if the doctors were even remotely concerned they would of scoped your stomach and took a biopsy, I don't think they missed anything important x

All the best :hugs:

motherof3girlies
02-03-17, 14:27
But this poor girl was sent home many times before they even scoped her! Granted she had much different insurance than I have, but doctors do mess up. Stories like these make me not trust doctors and that's why even if my GI thought my stomach looked good she still should have biopsied it right?

Mikiuslorenzo
03-03-17, 09:14
Food intolerance maybe? Acid reflux? Far more likely to be something as innocuous as that, especially as you say it comes and goes depending on your diet.

bin tenn
03-03-17, 13:57
But this poor girl was sent home many times before they even scoped her! Granted she had much different insurance than I have, but doctors do mess up. Stories like these make me not trust doctors and that's why even if my GI thought my stomach looked good she still should have biopsied it right?

Can't really blame the docs. It's not often at all that you hear of a 33yr old having stage 4 stomach cancer. Maybe she didn't have tell tale symptoms. Doctors do mess up, indeed, but medicine is not perfect by any means. Your friend's chances of such a diagnosis are so few and far between, but unfortunately it's what she got - and I'm sorry to hear that.

Gary A
03-03-17, 14:02

Doctors do mess up, they're human.

You know who gets the diagnosis wrong 99.9% of the time, though? People with health anxiety.

Which one do you think is more likely here?

Kathryn313
03-03-17, 16:03
They can't biopsy what isn't there. If the whole stomach lining appeared fine, which but would they biopsy?