PDA

View Full Version : See colours that aren't there!!

BrokenGirl
03-03-17, 12:37
Has anyone ever seen colours that are not there.
I was driving today and looked at the side wall of a house. The house was a very light yellow/cream in colour but yet i saw a patch of blue/green on it.
The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago.
Do these kind of things happen to other people or is there something going on here with me?

Fishmanpa
03-03-17, 12:43
Why are you looking at everything with suspicion of being medically or physically sinister? Yes, things like that happen to everyone. They don't pay it any mind or notice it at all.

Positive thoughts

Sixpack
03-03-17, 12:49
Sometimes I think my urine looks like it is slightly green. Hahaha

Agree with fishmanpa

Dave1
04-03-17, 03:26
Sixpack says:

Sometimes I think my urine looks like it is slightly green. Hahaha

Yes! - in one particular bathroom the lighting makes it look slightly green in the bowl! But in that very same bathroom, on the way down my urine looks slightly red! It's confusing - I don't know what to worry about!!! :)

---------- Post added at 03:26 ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 ----------

Back to the question...

No, I don't know why you saw the colours, I'd be interested to know what caused it. I'll still try guessing though: :)

It's possible you saw an 'after image' caused by looking at a bright object. If you then look at a light coloured wall the after image will be the opposite color of whatever the bright object was.

Or possibly something to do with peripheral vision which just isn't very reliable! But I think most people are unaware of how bad it is. We need peripheral vision for motion detection - we can see something moving but we still need to turn our head to see what the object in motion is.

You can do a peripheral vision experiment: Keep looking forwards at a particular target without deviating your gaze, grab some coloured pencils and without looking at them choose one at random. Then hold it out beyond your ear. Gradually swing your hand towards the centre of your vision and try to guess what colour the pencil is. You can wiggle the pencil - you can see it moving but at first you just can't decide what colour you're seeing! (You must concentrate hard on not cheating by moving your eyes!)