PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with vision

cowboys
03-03-17, 15:55
So I posted a while back about the issues I have been having with my vision. (Blurry, can't focus oroperly) I have been dealing with it for over a year now. Went to eye doctor for yearly check up. He said my eyes looked good and I was seeing perfect. When I was reading the eye chart though I started to read the letters on the line and they were clear and then went completely blurry. I told the doctor what happen and said that my vision has been fluctuating a lot. He again said my eyes are fine and it may be neurological.

I feel like my anxiety/stress has calmed down but the eye symptoms won't go away.

Can this all be in my head? Can anxiety be running this?

NancyW
03-03-17, 19:28
Did he recommend you see a neurologist?

cowboys
03-03-17, 20:05
No. He just said your eyes look fine. I told him I've been dealing with anxiety for a while and asked if that could play a part in it. I also explained I spend a lot if time checking my eyes one at a time by opening and closing them. He said anxiety / stress can cause issues and to stop focusing on my eyes separately. (Eaiser said than done)

NancyW
03-03-17, 20:24
"It may be neurological" is not a light statement.

Do you think it is?

cowboys
04-03-17, 04:33
No I don't. What exactly would he mean by neurological.

Serphenia
04-03-17, 05:35
That if you're eyes are healthy then it may be your brain where the problem is.

If it doesn't clear up or is affecting your every day life you're next step would be to see a neurologist.

Do you have any issues with dizziness as that makes my eyes go out of focus.

montys
04-03-17, 05:44
Blurry vision can be caused by a bunch of stuff, including misaligned contact lenses, dry eyes, vertigo, etc.

But if the blurriness has exhibited a behavior/pattern and has persisted for a long time (more than a few weeks), you should get them checked out in primary care. The optometrist has confirmed your eyes are fine but you would want to rule out any underlying non-optical causes as well.

I have hypochondria specific to optical issues so I know how annoying visual symptoms can get. The best thing to do is get checked out by a professional, accept the diagnosis (this is important), and then live your life :)

cowboys
04-03-17, 11:58
Montys. Thanks for the info. How is your vision affected having visual hypochondria? Are you just obsessed or constantly obsessing about your vision?

Dave1
04-03-17, 19:39
We need to tense and relax muscles in the eye to change focus. Just a guess, maybe anxiety is affecting the muscle tension?

NancyW
04-03-17, 20:41
He again said my eyes are fine and it may be neurological.

I feel like my anxiety/stress has calmed down but the eye symptoms won't go away.

Please see a neurologist.

montys
05-03-17, 00:45
Montys. Thanks for the info. How is your vision affected having visual hypochondria? Are you just obsessed or constantly obsessing about your vision?

Harmless visual phenomena are very readily apparent (e.g. floaters, after-images, blue field, etc.), and the muscles around my eyes are constantly sore. And yes, I have a tendency to compulsively "check" my vision to see if floaters are increasing in number or size. It's been getting better over time though as I continue to treat my GAD.

cowboys
05-03-17, 23:03
Mine tends to be mainly my right eye and it's almost like there is a fire outside and the air is smoky. It is really wierd. It makes me feel like something is wrong but the eye doctor just isn't seeing it.