PDA

View Full Version : Not "good" news

Ihavelostmymarbles
03-03-17, 18:02
How do you manage your health anxiety when you don't receive the best news? I got some news about my health today that has scared me a little bit. I'm trying to relax so I went to the nail salon. It's helping some but I'm worried about later when I can't take my mind off of things.

Nathand91
03-03-17, 18:09
Good question. It all depends on how severe the news is I suppose. Any unsettling news can stir up a panic, not only in those who suffer with anxiety, but with regards to anybody. I know you've not put what the actual news is so it's hard to give sound advice. If it's something minor such as the doctor discovering ingrown nail then me simply telling you it's minor could help you relax. If it's something which would be more stressful, such as early stage skin cancer or a lump on the breast etc, then it could be a good idea to request some counselling or talk to your doctor and ask him/her to explain it. I think the first step however would be to acknowledge that you are anxious and no doubt know how badly the anxiety can blow things out of proportion. Hope you can get to the bottom of it :)

Ihavelostmymarbles
03-03-17, 18:31
The doctor just said there was an abnormality with my ekg, so he wants to investigate it further. It's scary to hear "abnormal" but I'm trying not to let it ruin my life.

Fishmanpa
03-03-17, 18:40
The doctor just said there was an abnormality with my ekg, so he wants to investigate it further. It's scary to hear "abnormal" but I'm trying not to let it ruin my life.

This is a perfect example of what I say... IF there's something going on, you'll deal with it. You're not totally freaking out and actually your reaction is a step forward IMO.

Positive thoughts

bin tenn
03-03-17, 18:50
An EKG abnormality is not really an immediate cause for concern, as far as I know. Obviously they would urge you to come in ASAP if it were serious. Good for you trying to keep a positive outlook. I hope it was nothing more than an anomaly, but either way I wish you the best and I hope you get a solid answer sooner rather than later.

Ihavelostmymarbles
03-03-17, 19:07
The doctor either said it was "small" or "mild". I can't remember his exact words because TBH I was a little surprised that I didn't hear "anxiety", but he didn't say that I'm going to die right now and that's what I take comfort in. He also said the next few tests will help us figure out what's going on, so that if it does need to be fixed then we can do that.

I feel very confident with this doctor. It's just strange to go from anxiety to a "problem"--no matter how big or small, but I honestly am glad that I'm not reacting how I thought I would. Also, I kind of figured something was "off" so I wasn't blind sided. Words like "small" and "mild" are pretty comforting though.

The night time where my thoughts can get the best of me is where I'm really going to be tested mentally.

Bigboyuk
03-03-17, 19:22
Hi I think sometimes Dr's do use terms like abnormalities which can scare some ppl out of their minds. I had some tests done and the ECG showed some abnormal readings so the test was done again and every thing was fine :) You say your self you feel Very confident in your dr and that's soooo important, Yes night time can be the worse time so perhaps try and relax to some music or a nice hot bath with some bath soak I use distress liquid or something else it sure takes your mind of other things :) You will be fine!! Cheers

Ihavelostmymarbles
03-03-17, 19:43
Hi I think sometimes Dr's do use terms like abnormalities which can scare some ppl out of their minds. I had some tests done and the ECG showed some abnormal readings so the test was done again and every thing was fine :) You say your self you feel Very confident in your dr and that's soooo important, Yes night time can be the worse time so perhaps try and relax to some music or a nice hot bath with some bath soak I use distress liquid or something else it sure takes your mind of other things :) You will be fine!! Cheers

I'm glad that your tests came back fine! That's always reassuring :)
My ekg was compared to a prior ekg that I had done at the ER in 2015 (vacation here in our hometown) and it showed the similar abnormality. The way is see it, it hasn't killed me in 2 years so it more than likely isn't going to kill me in a week. It seems like the civilian doctors take things more seriously than the military doctors.

Bigboyuk
03-03-17, 20:21
I'm glad that your tests came back fine! That's always reassuring :)
My ekg was compared to a prior ekg that I had done at the ER in 2015 (vacation here in our hometown) and it showed the similar abnormality. The way is see it, it hasn't killed me in 2 years so it more than likely isn't going to kill me in a week. It seems like the civilian doctors take things more seriously than the military doctors. Thanks :) Exactly so very little to worry about :) This really true thought it may have been the other way about regarding the military side of things? You will probably find what ever small thing it is they wont do anything about as it's not getting any worse or some simple meds to keep it stable you will be fine :) Cheers

Ihavelostmymarbles
03-03-17, 23:24
I'm starting to get concerned because I'm having pain in the lower part of my breastbone near my stomach, but close to the left* side. I'm not sure if I should head to the ER or not? Maybe I'm starting to experience symptoms because it's nighttime and that makes the news harder to accept? I mean, the doctor didn't give me a death sentence and I assume he wouldn't have let me go home if he was concerned.

bin tenn
04-03-17, 01:05
Do you have GERD? I do. While I'm on a PPI, I still occasionally get symptoms. And one of them is - you guessed it - pain in the breastbone near the stomach, either on one side or in the center. The cause? Reflux. Sometimes, however, it's caused by gas.

Gary A
04-03-17, 01:05
I'm starting to get concerned because I'm having pain in the lower part of my breastbone near my stomach, but close to the left* side. I'm not sure if I should head to the ER or not? Maybe I'm starting to experience symptoms because it's nighttime and that makes the news harder to accept? I mean, the doctor didn't give me a death sentence and I assume he wouldn't have let me go home if he was concerned.

You got it in one. Anything that concerned the doctor to a point of thinking you'd have a heart attack within 24 hours and you wouldn't have been leaving the surgery.

ErinKC
04-03-17, 02:41
I feel like one great benefit to this forum is that you can go back and see your various states of mind. You predicted that you would likely be more anxious at night when you had time to stew and think about it more, and that's what's happened. Reread your thoughts from earlier when you were feeling calmer and more positive. The doctor definitely wouldn't have let you go if it was something critical that had a chance of worsening over night. Feel confident in the fact that you have a good doctor who is taking your problem seriously and will find an answer for you. When anxiety kicks in we become so hyperaware of every sensation in our body. That combined, probably, with some unconscious heavier breathing from being anxious could easily cause the pain you're feeling. Good luck! I hope you get some answers soon!

Thelegend27
04-03-17, 04:17
Well i don't what news you got so giving advice will be difficult. However if it's not very bad news and whatever it is may ne treatable then relax and get through it.

---------- Post added at 22:17 ---------- Previous post was at 22:15 ----------

Abnormal ekg doesn't mean its a bad thing. I've had a abnormal ekg due to some premature heart beats. Just relax if you have a dangerous arrhythmia most likely you would have symptoms.

Ihavelostmymarbles
04-03-17, 11:48
Well i don't what news you got so giving advice will be difficult. However if it's not very bad news and whatever it is may ne treatable then relax and get through it.

---------- Post added at 22:17 ---------- Previous post was at 22:15 ----------

Abnormal ekg doesn't mean its a bad thing. I've had a abnormal ekg due to some premature heart beats. Just relax if you have a dangerous arrhythmia most likely you would have symptoms.

It seems that my ekgs have been consistent with this abnormality. I'm hoping that maybe it's just my "normal". I do have symptoms though. Chest pain, shortness of breath, jaw pain, dizziness, fainting (rare but it's happened a few times), nausea, etc.

Ihavelostmymarbles
10-03-17, 21:26
Just an update for someone that ever may be I'm my position. I had an echo today and I'm currently wearing the holter monitor. I was wondering if they would have told me immediately if anything was wrong on the echo? That's if anyone knows, of course.

paranoid-viking
10-03-17, 21:36
How do you manage your health anxiety when you don't receive the best news? I got some news about my health today that has scared me a little bit. I'm trying to relax so I went to the nail salon. It's helping some but I'm worried about later when I can't take my mind off of things.

I dont mange it at all. I need 100% reasurrance.

bin tenn
10-03-17, 22:26
Just an update for someone that ever may be I'm my position. I had an echo today and I'm currently wearing the holter monitor. I was wondering if they would have told me immediately if anything was wrong on the echo? That's if anyone knows, of course.

I don't know, but I had an echo following a cardiac episode in August and I got the results quite quickly - and it was normal. I mean, if there was anything putting you at risk of harm, they obviously wouldn't leave it and make you wait. But the echo can find all sorts of minor/insignificant things as well, which can wait, no need to rush.

Bigboyuk
10-03-17, 22:28
Can they monitor it at their end? I would say yes they would have said there is something wrong and we are keeping you in for observation like over night, they didn't so you will be fine :) Cheers