PDA

View Full Version : Can I be poorly from jalapeņos

LF87
03-03-17, 23:24
I ate jalapeņos earlier on a pizza and did notice the vinegar in the jar didn't smell perfect but didn't think much of it. Anyway it was a few hours ago and I have started feeling a bit sick. So I went to check the jar and it says April 2016 was the use by! They're like a year old and weren't even in the fridge! So now I dunno if I actually feel sick from them or just in general, I've been feeling crap / drinking too much and generally not looking after myself this week, hence the pizza.
What would happen if I was ill from them? Google says they would be mushy and wrinkled if they were bad and seeds would be black, they weren't like at all just looked normal and normal texture. But one of them had a few black spots on. I'm freaking out. They're pickled though I thought pickled things lasted years?
Help!
Thanks x

Clydesdale Epona
03-03-17, 23:28
I'd surmise a worst case scenario is you'd wind up feeling/being ill but i doubt anything overly bad would happen x

All the best :hugs:

Gary A
04-03-17, 01:03
At absolute worst you'll have an upset stomach for an hour or two.

Funny though, how you readily admit to not looking after yourself, but a few iffy jalapeņos are enough to warrant a google search and a frantic post on an anxiety forum.

ErinKC
04-03-17, 02:45
That almost certainly would have smelled or tasted off if they were truly bad. Like you say, pickling in vinegar is meant to preserve things, so even beyond the date they are almost certainly fine. I totally get you, because I freak out about food safety all the time, but I've never actually gotten sick from anything, even when I've been certain I was going to! I'd just eat and drink mildly for the rest of the day, maybe have some tea.

LF87
04-03-17, 09:49
Thanks for the replies. I felt sick for an hour or so but it faded off and slept the night with no sickness or anything so thinking I got away with it.
Gary A I know, I've just had a crappy few weeks and lately I've found a few glasses of wine to help me out, in the short term anyway. My boyfriend is away on a boys holiday and it's kind of upped my self pity, it's pathetic really. But as of Monday I'm back to healthy eating and the gym. And definitely no questionable pickled foods :/

KeeKee
04-03-17, 11:06
My ex doesn't give a crap about dates. 'fresh' food the exception but tinned, jarred, boxed and frozen he'll eat out of date.

---------- Post added at 11:06 ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 ----------

And never been poorly from it forgot to add that.

GlassPinata
04-03-17, 14:06
I live in Texas where they are commonly eaten on everything.
I'm not sure what "poorly" means, as we don't use that term in the US... but if you mean upset tummy, then yes, jalapenos will do it. They cause indigestion, they can cause diarrhea (burning diarrhea, no less... there is even a brand of salsa called "Fiery Exit").
They are pickled, so they shouldn't really go bad.
I have some in my fridge that I opened last November- I've had them in a ziplock baggie since then. My best friend just ate some of them last night, and he's fine.
So, in short, I doubt they were rotten, but even if they weren't, they could cause you stomach problems, especially if you're not used to eating them on a daily basis.

Best wishes.