PDA

View Full Version : Just joined

Recking Nought
04-03-17, 14:27
Hi, my name is John. I live in England.

You might say I am a "long time listener, first time caller". I've been visiting NMP for several years; I thought I would join at last.

Almost exactly five years ago, just approaching my 30th birthday, I had a nervous breakdown. I was diagnosed with anxiety with depression. Since then I've been taking fluoxetine - currently 40mg a day - and have had various talking therapies of the CBT-type. I have had several relapses, though not these have not been as severe as my first breakdown.

I do not know the reasons for my breakdown clearly. There is a history of anxiety and depression in my family, so it seems inheritance has played a part. I had a happy childhood by and large. In part I think my anxiety is related to becoming older, trying to be an adult, being 'responsible'. When I am feeling anxious I feel lost, that I do not have any sense of purpose.

I also have problems with perfectionism. I compare myself to others a lot, especially when my mood is low, and I struggle to see my worth. I also catastrophise, as CBT puts it; I become anxious about all the things that could go wrong. For example, my mother is a great support to me, and the thought of her death terrifies me.

I can feel fine for extended periods of time. My anxiety is reactive to a large degree. I realise that to feel anxious about some things is entirely usual. I seem to have extreme reactions, though. My mood can become very low very quickly, and I do not simply worry about the trigger, but things which are unrelated. It feels as thought the world turns against me, and I cannot see the positive side of life anymore.

I suppose the treatments I have had have been somewhat effective. The side-effects of fluoxetine have not troubled me much, but I am unsure if it has significantly improved my mood. The talking therapies have been useful, I think, and perhaps part of the problem is that I do not implement them consistently. When I feel OK, it all seems a million miles away, and I do not think to practise the techniques.

At the moment I am feeling quite anxious. I am currently studying an MSc and the workload is tough just now. I gave up a job to pursue this, which was difficult in its own way, but just a couple of months ago I told a friend that I wish I had done it years ago. Now I feel the opposite - I would like to be doing my boring job again, without the stress of coursework, and the future dread of deciding what to do after the course is finished.

Anyway, I think that is enough for the time being. No More Panic has been a very helpful place for me over the years, and it feels good to make a bit of a contribution to it, and to thank everyone here for their candour and encouragement.

John.

venusbluejeans
04-03-17, 14:35
Hiya Recking Nought and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

Fear-Not
04-03-17, 15:07
Hi John - nice to meet a fellow 'catastrophiser'!! I have a gold medal in seeing catastrophe wherever I turn. Give me a zippo lighter and I will imagine the whole town burned to the ground! Seriously!! It has affected me all my life but I only just realised that it is not a normal way to feel. Like you, I am crippled with fear about the loss of loved ones, my response to triggers is very extreme and I also seek safe options. Maybe you feel out of your comfort zone having left your job but it is good to challenge your anxiety too otherwise you will always feel defeated by it and that, in itself can reduce our self esteem and our ability to deal with anxiety. Anxiety is exhausting and it is hard to get motivated for new things - try not to worry about what you will be doing after your course just now! Just focus on the course and make a deal with yourself to cross that bridge when you come to it. I am also like you in that I can feel fine for extended periods of time! This is GOOD! It means we are capable of being OK - its just hard sometimes to know what makes the difference between feeling OK and not feeling OK! I have started a blog about my anxiety and writing about it has definitely helped me to make a few connections and improve my awareness of what drives my madness! If you are doing an MSc then you will be a good writer - maybe try writing about this too! Good Luck with making progress - none of us are alone! : )

snowghost57
04-03-17, 15:12
Hi John, I just joined myself. I can relate to the perfectionist and I compare myself to others. I am finishing up a class at a online University and college is a lot harder then I thought. Glad you decided to join us!

Katy_o
04-03-17, 17:47
Hey John. Unfortunately I don't really have any advice for you, I just wanted to stop by and say hi and that I can also totally relate to everything you have said. I'm a 34 year old catastrophising perfectionist that worries incessantly about all of potentially awful things that could happen. The thought of losing my mum one day also sends me into fits of absolute terror and panic.

I completed my MSc in 2013 and I remember all to well the stress of the workload. Hang in there dude.

Recking Nought
04-03-17, 23:50
Thanks for the responses! They are a great help.

Recking Nought
05-03-17, 10:56
This morning is proving to be a real challenge. So much fear of failure. Where does all my confidence go?

Kathryn313
05-03-17, 12:05
What do you have on this morning?

My MSc occurred just when the rest of the stress in my life was ramping up, it was a hard time. I also think by it's nature it make you reflect a lot on our own views and you have to put your own ideas into it, which give a real space for any self doubt to grow.

My tutor just kept telling me how well I was doing and I just couldn't believe her, was convinced I would fail, however I did pretty well in the end. The problem I had was that I could only see what was wrong with it as opposed the good in it.

What are you studying?

Recking Nought
06-03-17, 08:59
I'm studying theoretical physics. Several deadlines have come together: a piece of coursework and a presentation due for Wednesday, and another presentation due next Monday. Plus lectures to attend.

I always feel worse in the morning when I'm stressed. I wake up after just a few hours sleep, exhausted, but with my mind racing. It's so frustrating - the tiredness just when I need to be able to concentrate. The anxiety tends to ease towards bedtime, and I feel almost normal again. I usually fall asleep OK. And then I wake up again ...

Kathryn313
06-03-17, 18:35
Sounds exhausting!

Do you have a tutor you can talk to? You wont be the first masters student to struggle, especially in your field of work.