PDA

View Full Version : Managing my panic in Ohio

Biwa
05-03-17, 05:00
Hello. I'm going by Biwa here. I am living in Ohio, USA and managing my panic disorder day by day. I've dealt with social anxiety my whole life but I have recently been blessed with panic disorder and hints of agoraphobia. I'm thankful that I get through the work day, but the anxiety and panic attacks usually leave me exhausted.

I figure it's time I start talking to people who understand what I'm experiencing.

Origin Story

I've gone through my life with invisible walls. There were things I couldn't do. I have a hard time keeping friends because I don't reach out to them. Somehow, I managed to get married, but it's hard to stay married when you have trouble expressing your feelings.

After my divorce, my doctor prescribed a low dose of Xanax to help with social anxiety. I started it, stopped it and I think that led to my first panic attack. That was the worst day of my life, until the next day when it kept happening. I was having an irrational fear that gravity would stop working despite knowing that's impossible. I could not escape my imagination.

My walls are no longer invisible. I feel them. On my worst days I still manage to function, but it feels like hell. I got back on Xanax and an occasional Zoloft for a while, but I have been off of them so I can learn how to manage my condition holistically.

I focus on self care: adequate sleep, healthy food, moving around, and meditating. I learn what I can and try to challenge myself to push against barriers as they appear. Mostly I try to stay hopeful even when it feels like my quality of life is gone forever, because I know that hope is the way forward.

And I know I need to connect with people more since it can help me get the energy I need to face my fears. That's why I'm here introducing myself.

venusbluejeans
05-03-17, 05:07
Hiya Biwa and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

fduop
06-03-17, 13:20
Biwa, you have come to a good place. I started coming here some 4 or so years ago, what I have found is a safe place to express my true feelings. Some days are good, some days not so good; but at least I have NMP to come to and vent for a while.

I suggest you take full advantage of the resources that are available including reading others stories. Or you can do as I have and start a thread to vent your fears, anger, and victories. My hope is you get as much out of the site as I have. I still have my bad days, but without NMP I'd hate to think of where I'd be right now. Best to you Biwa on your journey.