PDA

View Full Version : Long term side effects versus benefit of Cit ?

Senior Moment
05-03-17, 10:50
I am new to posting, and a lady age 65+ and would like some views on the long term side effects [ i.e. fuzzy head, shaky legs etc.] do they outweigh the benefits of a low dose of Cit ? I am beginning to wonder. Have spoken to GP about this but they don't appear to think there are any side effects either starting or withdrawing Cit !!!!! Like to hear some thoughts please.

Tinalou
05-03-17, 10:58
GP seem pretty clueless when it comes to side effects of anti depressants. I don't know what the long term effects are I
just know I have to take them long term.

beatroon
13-03-17, 17:23
Hi there Senior Moment (nice username by the way),

Obviously everyone is different, so you may have a totally different experience to me! But for what it's worth, I didn't have any of the side effects you mention when on a low dose of Citalopram. I got a bit sweaty and tired but that wore off within two weeks. For me, it was worth taking the drug as I had tried other therapies without success, and without it my quality of life wasn't great, and I now don't have any side effects from them.

Hope this helps, but as always, only one experience!

panic_down_under
13-03-17, 20:46
I am new to posting, and a lady age 65+ and would like some views on the long term side effects [ i.e. fuzzy head, shaky legs etc.] do they outweigh the benefits of a low dose of Cit ?

I think this is a question only you can answer. Is citalopram controlling your anxiety at the dose you're on? How much are you taking and how long have you been at this dose?

venusbluejeans
13-03-17, 22:17
I have been taking citalopram for about 2 years now (it is 3rd time taking them) I have a great doctor who understands that some people may have to take anti-depressants permenantly and I have been told from her that I may need to stay on them for life all be it at a lower dose to keep them in my system.

I now have absolutely no side effects from taking the citalopram.... so not sure there really are long term side effects, just mainly the short term ones.

To be honest I wish that I stayed on the Citalopram from the beginning rather than stopping and starting it as each time i restarted it was then I got the horrible side effects.

Senior Moment
18-03-17, 15:10
Thank you all for your replies. If I'm totally honest, the only thing that Cit has controlled is my panic attacks [ which I am really grateful for ], but my anxiety still rears its ugly head quite regularly !!! I am only taking 10mg, but due to my age my GP is reluctant to up the dose. To be honest I wouldn't want that anyway because the side effects I had in the beginning, [ fuzzy head, shaking limbs, off balance feeling etc,] have stayed with me to a greater or lesser degree. So I really don't know what to do, give Cit up altogether and perhaps try therapy of some sort. Would welcome your opinions. Thank you. xx

Mojo61
18-03-17, 17:26
Perhaps 10mg isn't controlling your anxiety, and the "side effects" are in fact just anxiety related? The lowest therapeutic dose is 20mg and I wouldn't think 10mg is doing much at all except just keeping a lid on your panic attacks. I was on 10mg for 3 months before increasing to 20mg and I didn't have much in the way of increased side effects at all to be honest. It wasn't until I'd gone up to 20mg that I realised that 10mg wasn't helping much at all. I'm nearly 56 so not that young either lol!

Senior Moment
18-03-17, 19:29
Thank you for your reply Mojo. I am beginning to think you could be right about the "side effects" being my anxiety not under control rather than it actually being side effects from the Cit. I guess the symptoms are similar. It's a bit of a nightmare getting the balance right isn't it ? I have a revue with my GP in a couple of weeks so will discuss it with her. Take care. xx

panic_down_under
18-03-17, 21:47
I am only taking 10mg, but due to my age my GP is reluctant to up the dose.

20mg is the recommended maximum dose for those over 60 because of a, probably unjustified, concern about the med's affect on the heart.

If your doctor won't prescribe an effective dose then it would be better to switch to another SSRI which doesn't have the same cardiovascular concerns. Sertraline (Zoloft) would be a good choice.

FWIW, I'm on a very cardio toxic antidepressant, dosulepin, aka dothiepin, which has been removed from the British National Formulary and can now only be prescribed to new patients by psychiatrists, but my nearly 70yo ticker is just fine despite being on a dose well above the recommended maximum.