PDA

View Full Version : MORE HORRID SYMPTOMS!!!!

pips
25-10-04, 21:42
Hi All, :D

Lately I have been feeling what’s best I can describe as like a lump in my throat. [:O] I try swallowing and I have a drink but nothing helps it still feels like there is something there. Just pressing on my windpipe not to hard but hard enough for it to be bothering and annoying and feels like I am going to choke. [xx(] It is very scary and frustrating. I know deep down that it’s probably just another one of those wonderful anxiety symptoms! The thing that upsets me though :( is I have been getting this even when I don't feel too anxious but getting that sets my anxiety off and I worry more and think the worst though. [Duh!] [:o)]

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this [?] Also is it possible to get the symptoms before the anxiety? As usually I get the anxiety first then the symptoms follow [No] [V] Is it possible for it to be the other way round? For example I have had times when I haven't been feeling to bad and then all of a sudden I get palpatations or something and that triggers off the anxiety! [Ugh][Sigh...] Can't win huh!!

Thanks All,;)

Take care,

Love PIP'S XX[:X]

Meg
25-10-04, 22:23
Oh Pips

This is almost the most common symptom. How ever have you avoided it before !!!!

You'll find mostly that you get thicker saliva than normal with it too .

It was almost my first symptom in the build up of anxiety each time. Then I learnt to like it as it did give me a warning sign so if when I learnt to address anxiety when I got this warning, it stopped any further spiralling .

Its called globus hystericus for the record. Totaly harmless and no your windopipe cannot block off before you ask , its simply tightening of the throat muscles .

Love

Meg

nomorepanic
25-10-04, 22:24
Pips

I can relate to this trust me.

I had it for a couple of months (not that long ago) - couldn't swallow properly and food seemed to be stuck all the time.

I spoke to Meg about it and she said that it was probably anxiety but I wasn't feel anxious or panicky atall so I convinced myself that it was something sinister.

It made me panicky cos I felt that I couldn't swallow properly.

I promptly looked it up on the net (like we do lol) and it came up with some interesting names etc. However, it was fine when eating and I wasn't choking or anything on the food.

Anyway I went to the docs cos I was convinced it wasn't anxiety.

He didn't immediately say "oh it is anxiety" but had a look at my throat and said it was clear etc. He then just mentioned that it could be stress related and was a common symptom but if I was still worried then to go back in a month and they could put a camera down my throat.

He said that cos I was eating and not choking it was likely to be anxiety related.

Anyway that was enough for me - I didn't want the camera down the throat and it went over the next week all by itself - miracle lol!

So all I can say is go to the docs and the reassurance helped me and the thought of the alternative was enough to make me realise that it was probably anxiety - but I HAD to be told that before I believed it for myself (even though I knew that is what he would say - does that make sense).

The symptom definitely made me anxious cos I was worried that I wouldn't be able to swallow and that made me all panicky.

Yours may go just knowing what I have said here but if not then please see doc cos just the reassurance was enough to help me.

Big hug pips

xxx

Nicola

lainey
25-10-04, 22:26
Hi Pips

i had exactly the same symptoms as you a few weeks ago, and after 5 days had had enough and went to the GP, she told me it was one of the most classic symptoms of anxiety even though at the time I wasn;t feeling particularly anxious and guess what by that night it had practically gone, so try not to worry too much about it as it 's the panic monster rearing it;s ugly head when you least expect it, hope this helps.

Take care chuck.

Elaine xxx

seh1980
25-10-04, 22:28
Hi Pips,

I've had that as well. It's very aggravating but is nothing to worry about!!

Sarah :D

kate
26-10-04, 07:46
Hi Pips,

Add me to the list of "lump in throat" sufferers¬ [V]

I used to get it so badly that I also felt as if I couldn't talk properly let alone swallow [:O]

Horrible, but it WILL pass.

Luv Kate xxxx

Jules31
26-10-04, 10:58
Hi Pips

I've had it too though not with my anxiety in the last two and a half years. Which is a bit of a surprise as I've had everything else, he he.

I got it when I was studying for my finals at uni. I remember my Dad trying to force feed me a sandwich and I was just convinced I couldn't swallow cos of the feeling. Think it took me about an hour to eat just half a piece of bread.

You're fine, just ignore it and it will go.

It's good that you see this as a trigger for noticing your anxiety. I always get symptoms when I think that I'm not stressed at all

Take care

Jules

Laurie28
26-10-04, 12:20
I had this for months even before I was diagnosed with 'anxiety pnd'
it felt like someone constantly had there hands round my throat.
I had inhalers and antibiotics (which of course didn't work as there was nothing physically wrong with me!! - oh apart from hyperventilating when I took the inhaler and being scared to take the antiobiotics)

It is a truly awful feeling and caused me to develop my fear of anaphalactix shock (spelling I know!!!!) which are the onyl fears that still haunt me (ie nuts bees etc) - somehow - and i can understand to a certain degree how it happened I associated my tight throar with it swelling and not being able to breath and allergies and tongue swelling etc etc.

The up side is that it definetely goes away with relaxation etc and I no longer check my throat 25 times and day (I even done it when driving!! - how dangerous) or feel my lips are huge!!!!

Definetly worst symptom i have ever had (touch wood)

Love
Lucky

sal
26-10-04, 12:27
Hiya Pips

Was sorry to hear how you were feeling when i got your text, but i tried to send you some of you pmt back.

I have that feeling quite often so please dont worry about it too much as you know how it makes us all feel even worse.

I will give you a call later on tonight to see how you are getting on.

Sending lots of love and hugs mate.

Love Sal xxxxx

pips
26-10-04, 14:05
A BIG BIG HUGE MASSIVE THANK YOU [Yes!]TO YOU: MEG, :DNIC, :DELAINE,:D SARAH,:D KATE,:D JULES,:D LUCKY:D and SAL.:D

Your comforting words have helped me loads. Although I am still suffering it makes me realise that I am normal! [:P]LOL. I've always has a issue with breathing anyway esp with my irrational head on! So this feeling isn't helping at all! [No] I fear I will just stop breathing and that really scares me! Hubby so practically says though. You wouldn't know if you had stopped breathing anyway LOL! [Duh!] True I suppose!!

I just must keep telling myself that I know it's there but I must ignore it as much as possible. Else that dreaded spiral starts![}:)]

Thanks to you all again for all your support.;) It really means alot!

I hope you are all well. [Yeah!]

Love to you all and Take good care!!

PIP'S [:X]
XX XX XX XX

LisaH
26-10-04, 20:23
Hi Pips,

Had it!!! exact same thing; just an annoying lump in my throat It came out of nowhere and left just as quickly; but I think it lasted at least a year. I had to carry a bottle of water with me everywhere I went. Then my sister got the same symptom. Don't be scared; it's part and parcel.

Take care
Lisa:D

pips
26-10-04, 21:35
Thanks Lisa,

Definately good to know. I'm not going totally bonkers!!

Hope you are well,

Take care,

Love PIP'S XX

sal
27-10-04, 01:12
Hi Pips

You are not bonkers at all, you are having a bad time and i will help you through it like you have me.

Here for you and how you are feeling is completly normal for us anxiety sufferers.

Sorry didnt call u but have spent the night with Sam.

Love Sal xxxxx

Astrid
15-11-04, 13:16
hey Pips!

Add me on to the list of those with something blocking their throat! I have it right now the moment I am writing this note! :)

I have learnt that it is one of the most common symptoms.. but that doesn't help it much... what I've triedis water.. but then it just stays in my mouth since i feel that i can't swallow it :) and then i also have some herbal sweets, just to soothen my throat... you may want to try those... that way you concentrate on the sweet... sometimes work for me.

Was also wondering whether any of you have 'burping' fits. I know this may sound strange, but when i hyperventilate, my first reactionis to force myself to do little burps and clear my throat! It's so embarassing especially when i'm around people that don't know me well! I think the burping reassures me that I am breathing ( and haven't forgotten to!)!

Oh.. before I forget.. another thing that helps with the throat problem would be to sing out loud..... it has helped me tonnes.... (although not those who are next to me who have to listen!)

Take care,
Astrid

pips
15-11-04, 21:04
Hi Astrid,

Sorry to here you suffer as well it's crap isn't it!

Thanks for the advice though! I'll practice my singing in the shower! LOL I found also sucking an ice lolly helps. may look a bit weird in Winter but if it helps hey!

Hope you are well,

Take care

PIP'S xx

rosa
05-07-05, 10:16
Hi pips
I also get that strange feeling in my throat it usually comes on at night time when I'm tierd and I don't usually feel like I'm panicing, It also gets a bit sore sometimes.Usually the more that I think about it the worse that it gets.

rosa

pips
05-07-05, 16:31
Thanks Rosa,

I also feel like i have to clear my throat alot of the time. It feels like somethings there but i know there isn't! It's so frustrating at times!

Sorry you suffer to!

Hope you are well,

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

nomorepanic
05-07-05, 19:51
Hi Rosa and welcome aboard the forum. Good to see you here.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Robert1988
21-07-05, 11:34
I have gotten this before, and for me it goes away shorty.

Rob

pips
21-07-05, 12:45
Thanks Rob,

Take care.

Love PIP'S X

sal
22-07-05, 00:39
Want to post that Pips has got to the airport feels a bit nervous but we all know that she can do it and once i have heard from her in America that she got there safely i will post again.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

pips
02-08-05, 17:25
Thanks Sal hun,

Sorry couldn't let you know i got there safe my phone wouldn't work over there.

I'm back now though im just gonna post a topic let you know how it all went.

Hope you are well sweetie.

Take Care hun.

Love & Hugs PIP'S X X

sal
02-08-05, 18:21
Hi Pips

Pleased you are home safely. Look forward to reading your post all about it. Hope you had a brilliant time.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

nomorepanic
02-08-05, 19:24
Welcome back PIPS!!

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

pips
02-08-05, 19:31
Thanks so much Sal & Nic

Hope you are both well.

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

Meg
02-08-05, 19:55
Welcome back. See you Sunday !

pips
02-08-05, 20:20
Thanks Meg,

See you Sunday Can't wait!

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

sal
03-08-05, 00:01
I hope you all have a great day.

Love Sal xx

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

pips
03-08-05, 11:10
Thanks Sal hun so sorry you can't make it.

Take care mate.

Love PIP'S X X

rosekay
13-06-06, 14:06
My throat often feels very tight and as if I can't breathe - though I can, Feels like I can't get enough air, but no problem eating etc. No asthma, wheezing etc. Just feels like I may retch sometimes - lovely eh?!

Attsila
23-06-06, 14:23
You can add me to the list! I never had it the last 2 times I battled anxiety but this was the first symptom of my panic attacks this go round. It started as a poping or clicking feeling everytime I would swallow or turn my head a certain way. Then it began to feel like a lump in my throat. I started freaking out that I had cancer in my neck I would often want to pull the skin of my throat out some so that I could breathe better. I also had Alot of problems swallowing especially liquids and even though I wouldn't choke I would come close. I even thought I had Rabies for a while LOL.... The thing that helped me get through it alot was belly breathing where you breathe in from the nose and out through the mouth and expand and contract your stomach. it makes those muscles loosen up alot

worrying is alot Like a Rocking Chair It is something todo but it won't get you anywhere

Mickey
25-09-06, 00:57
Hi there,

It was so amazing to read your stories. I have had a terrible time with Globus hystericus. I have just come through a period of dealing with it intensly for a whole year. It was hell!!! It consumed my life, my thoughts, drove me crazy. Then I decided not to care so much anymore and addressed some of the personal issues I was unhappy with in my life. And suddenly, although my life is still a train wreak, the globus hystericus is not such a big prblem anymore. But I realise that its something that will continually come back throughout my life... But hopefully not soon.

Mickey

pips
25-09-06, 14:03
Hi Mickey,:D

Thanks for your message.

I'm glad it's not such a big problem for you anymore. Mine comes and goes to. I think it's just all part of anxiety etc... Acceptance is the key. Just not always easy to do huh!

Take Care,

Love Pip's X X

Pippa.

nic121a
25-09-06, 16:02
i cant eat out no more because am embarrsed incase i start panicking while am eating. i feel like i cant swallow because i feel like i cant breath when i try to, does anyone else get this?
i really want to eat out with my boyfriend or family but i cant and i have to stay in. Thing is i dont feel like am choking when i eat on my own just when theres people around me[:X]:(

Mickey
26-09-06, 23:23
Hi,

I have some problems eating too. It was especially bad when the globus first started - I was afraid of choking AND I was afraid I'd have some allergic reation to the food (even though I've never had an allergic reaction in my life).I lived on toast. I just started small, you know, like testing the food, small bites, small portions. Things aren't perfect now, a year later, but I can eat out a bit. I'm still very picky.
On a slightly different topic, Has anyone else developed OCD with their globus and anxiety?

Mickey

creatrix
07-11-06, 21:30
Just in case it's *not* anxiety, I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in: I get the lump-in-throat thing when I drink Peach flavoured "Snapple" iced tea. It's almost more like a pimple on my throat - just annoying and a bit frightening. It took me quite some time to realized that it was a reaction to a food, so while it probably is just anopther miserable symptom of anxiety, it might be worth examining your diet when it happens.

Good luck to you!

-Laura

Wee-Mee
14-03-09, 17:19
I just made a post about this cos I am freaking about it.

I haven't ever had it before which is why I am worried. :( It started when I was on antibiotics for a pelvic infection and ever since then it hasn't gone away and I'm convinced there's something wrong with me. I'm hopinh it is anxiety and it passes. Before I pass out!

Hope it eases soon petal,it's horrid xxxxx