PDA

View Full Version : Pain under right rib

Worriedwellornot
05-03-17, 15:53
Hi. This under rib pain, sore stomach and acid taste in my mouth is really scaring me now. I went back to my gp last week and she has put me back on Omprazole and arranged for a full boood test. Unfortunately the earliest date is in a months time. She has also organised an h pylori test. I'm so worried its Pancreatic cancer. I don't have the light coloured stools or jaundice but mist of the other symptoms. I'm unintentionally losing weight. I did have a similar scare 3 years ago and had a endoscopy but the dr doesn't think I need one at the moment. I could really do with some support right now. This has been my biggest worry for years. Last time around Fishmanpa was really helpful with his comments. I really don't want this to spiral again...,please help. I was too scared to actually tell the Dr my fears. Reading the patient stories on the Pancreatic website made me feel much worse.

almamatters
05-03-17, 18:47
Hi, I have had right side rib pain on and off for years. In my case it's caused by IBS and acid reflux, i too went down the " I've got pancreatic ca route " because a person with HA will always look for the worst case scenario, it didn't help that I felt really ill before being diagnosed with reflux and had also lost weight

I really do not think the dr would be waiting a month before doing your blood tests if they suspected anything remotely serious.

Reading posts on a pancreatic forum will fuel your anxiety, stress and worry can make reflux worse.

Worriedwellornot
05-03-17, 18:51
Thank you for the reply. I did ask th dr if she felt it required urgent bloods but she said she wasn't concerned. However as you know that doesn't stop some one with HA from worrying what if she's wrong etc. Etc this time my weight loss is fuelling the worry on top of tummy pain and acid reflux

almamatters
05-03-17, 19:04
It's easy too get trapped in a cycle of anxiety and one thing I have learnt through my battle with HA is that if a GP is concerned or worried about symptoms they will refer you as urgent , i refused to believe my GP years ago that reflux can make you feel so ill and pestered them to be referred for lots of unnecessary tests, which in turn made my anxiety a lot worse.

Are you eating a balanced diet? I stopped eating because of the stress I was under and lost a stone, once I had calmed down the weight slowly went back on, the omeprazole may take a few days to start to work but hopefully will make you feel a lot better.

Worriedwellornot
05-03-17, 19:11
Hi Alma. Yes my diet is v healthy but I think my anxiety is making me stressed so I'm not relaxed when I eat. I've been taking the Omprazole again for about 4 days and not had any improvement yet. I think if I definitely knew it was gerd then I could live with the issue. It's the not knowing that's making it worse..

Fishmanpa
05-03-17, 19:20
if I definitely knew it was gerd then I could live with the issue.

Question: What's the pain in your stomach and the acid taste in your mouth mean? ;)

Positive thoughts

Worriedwellornot
05-03-17, 19:42
I don't know Fishmanpa ! What are you saying?

Fishmanpa
05-03-17, 19:55
I don't know Fishmanpa ! What are you saying?

I know googling is a no no but if you google Gerd/reflux symptoms you have your answer ;)

GERD signs and symptoms include:
A burning sensation in your chest (heartburn), sometimes spreading to your throat, along with a sour taste in your mouth.
Chest pain.
Difficulty swallowing (dysphagia)
Dry cough.
Hoarseness or sore throat.
Regurgitation of food or sour liquid (acid reflux)
Sensation of a lump in your throat.

You just started a PPI again and it takes a week or so for it to kick in. Also, you have to keep an eye on what you eat. Check out the FODMAP diet. It lists foods that aggravate reflux. Try to avoid them.

Positive thoughts

Worriedwellornot
05-03-17, 19:58
Thanks Fish. I appreciate your reply. I am hoping the meds will soon kick in.

paranoid-viking
06-03-17, 05:21
Hi. This under rib pain, sore stomach and acid taste in my mouth is really scaring me now. I went back to my gp last week and she has put me back on Omprazole and arranged for a full boood test. Unfortunately the earliest date is in a months time. She has also organised an h pylori test. I'm so worried its Pancreatic cancer. I don't have the light coloured stools or jaundice but mist of the other symptoms. I'm unintentionally losing weight. I did have a similar scare 3 years ago and had a endoscopy but the dr doesn't think I need one at the moment. I could really do with some support right now. This has been my biggest worry for years. Last time around Fishmanpa was really helpful with his comments. I really don't want this to spiral again...,please help. I was too scared to actually tell the Dr my fears. Reading the patient stories on the Pancreatic website made me feel much worse.

You should definetely avoid pancreatic cancer websites and the horryfying horror stories posted there like the plague. It is quote devastating and soul destroying as it can only worsen your anxiety. DONT!
I am one whose been suffering violently with fear of PC. The last months has been fine but for the last days I have pain under the ribs again and now a point right under eft rib where a pain is located and wont go away. Not violent pain but uncomfortable. And my anxiety hits the roof again.

About acid taste in the mouth; that is not a cancer symptom is it? It is a common condition, like acid reflux I would guess, which I have and may be the roots of my problems.

---------- Post added at 06:21 ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 ----------

Hi, I have had right side rib pain on and off for years. In my case it's caused by IBS and acid reflux, i too went down the " I've got pancreatic ca route " because a person with HA will always look for the worst case scenario, it didn't help that I felt really ill before being diagnosed with reflux and had also lost weight

I really do not think the dr would be waiting a month before doing your blood tests if they suspected anything remotely serious.

Reading posts on a pancreatic forum will fuel your anxiety, stress and worry can make reflux worse.

Did you have pains that felt like pulled muscles under the ribs?

Worriedwellornot
06-03-17, 17:56
Hi PV
Thanks for your reply. My acid reflux taste today has been terrible, worst ever and I am already on omeprazole. Surely that should have reduced by now? My bowels are awful too and I'm still losing weight. The pain under my rib is like a gnawing pain. My only solace is that I had a similar episode 3 years ago which took 6 months to go away. However then I didn't lose weight. Also I don't have the pale stools and dark urine and jaundice which is associated with pancan but sometimes this is a very late symptom. My liver tests were ok and my Dr wasn't worried but I am.

Fishmanpa
06-03-17, 18:01
Thanks for your reply. My acid reflux taste today has been terrible, worst ever and I am already on omeprazole.

Get your self some Mylanta. It helps sooth the burning and taste. I take a PPI and every once in a while I have to take a swig when it breaks through. No biggie ;)

Positive thoughts

paranoid-viking
06-03-17, 18:04
Hi PV
Thanks for your reply. My acid reflux taste today has been terrible, worst ever and I am already on omeprazole. Surely that should have reduced by now? My bowels are awful too and I'm still losing weight. The pain under my rib is like a gnawing pain. My only solace is that I had a similar episode 3 years ago which took 6 months to go away. However then I didn't lose weight. Also I don't have the pale stools and dark urine and jaundice which is associated with pancan but sometimes this is a very late symptom. My liver tests were ok and my Dr wasn't worried but I am.

I have a gnawing pain under my left rib today. Actually it has been there since yesterday. Hopefully it is just a pulled muscle. At this point it has been about 7 months since my fear of PC began, and I hope that statistically I should be off the risk sone. An online doctor suggested that perhaps my pains was due to worsening acid reflux.
And again, stay away from the "awareness" sites for pancreatic cancer. This form of "awareness" are scaremongering at its worst. Especially the UK awareness campaigns ewhere I suspect they are exagerating stories to scare people more into go screening themself for this worst of cancer. They are using a lot of young people in the patients stories, whike in fact this cancer is very uncommon in people under 65 years.
By the way, how old are you?

Worriedwellornot
06-03-17, 18:25
Hi Ive just turned 60 last week. Although the majority of cases are over 65 there are always exceptions unfortunately.....

Fish I will look into Mylanta. Can you take it with Omprazole?

paranoid-viking
06-03-17, 18:35
Anyway, it is still one of the more uncommon cancer types and the symptoms you describe seems more like something to do with acid reflux.
I am using nexium and it works very well for me. I never have throat burning after using it.

About the weight lost: are you eating regulary?

Worriedwellornot
06-03-17, 18:47
Yes eating normally but stomach not relaxed. Do you have the horrible taste in your mouth all the time?

paranoid-viking
06-03-17, 18:59
If I dont take nexium I have the horrible taste yes.

Fishmanpa
06-03-17, 19:02
Fish I will look into Mylanta. Can you take it with Omprazole?

I don't know of any adverse reaction. I take it occasionally as needed with Protonix.

Positive thoughts