PDA

View Full Version : Norovirus

ww1399
06-03-17, 12:40
Hi everyone.

So last night I went to the ER because I was vomiting profusely, had diarrhea and horrible stomach pain. The doctor did labs and concluded hat I had norovirus.

The paperwork says that if I'm unable to hold down any liquid I should go back to the ER and get IV fluids. I can't stop vomiting; first food from yesterday, then water, then ginger ale, now just bile. Now, I'm a med student, but I'm also very stubborn. Should I go back today? Or wait it out? Worried about dehydration as that's what kills you with these stomach bugs. What would you do? I don't wanna be a nuisance there or anything.

Ugh, I just want a nice cold glass of milk. But I know that wouldnt go over well, lol.

Toaster
06-03-17, 12:49
I had norovirus a month ago. Couldn't keep down liquids for a day. I started drinking just a sip at a time and it was fine. Another day later and it was over.

I imagine the dehydration might kill an elderly man. I survived a day with no drinks. Eased myself into drinking. Whatever the doctor says do. No more and no less.

Clydesdale Epona
06-03-17, 13:22
The medical standard is if you are not drinking for 2-3 days then go to the ER for dehydration, i had a norovirus last year and was throwing up for a whole day but i managed to keep liquids down the next day, just keep drinking, you'll be able to keep some of it down and it will flush the virus out quicker x

All the best :hugs:

ww1399
06-03-17, 15:16
Thanks guys. I'm trying a little bit of water every now and then to see how that goes.

Leslie735
06-03-17, 21:53
Thanks guys. I'm trying a little bit of water every now and then to see how that goes.

If that doesn't work, popsickles. I had norovirus back in October and that was what worked for me. I hope you feel better!