PDA

View Full Version : Why is there something new every day?

BrokenGirl
06-03-17, 13:24
Just as soon as i get over one thing something else comes along to take it's place. I've been like this for months now and each time i genuinely believe that this time it could be it.
My latest one is i can feel a sort of bump on my left nostril on the outside. If i run my finger along the outside of my nose i can feel it. And of course there's none on the right side. And i know i've been told before that we're not symmetrical but i thought the outside of our nose would feel the sameish.
Please someone tell me that this is normal and not sinister!
I just badly need a break from worrying and stressing.
My counselling hasn't worked out so i have to start all over again with it somehow - look for somewhere else that i can afford.

Kyrae
06-03-17, 14:21
This sounds so familiar...
It's a shame how we spend our precious time with worrying instead of doing fun things...
Other (normal) people wouldn't overstudy their bodies like we do and therefore we THINK that we always have something...
Hope you can ease your mind!

ServerError
06-03-17, 14:25
Of course it's normal. A bump on the side of your nose? It's entirely normal. The skin is always popping up with random lumps and bumps. Most go away. Some stay. It's probably a tiny infection or just a clogged pore. There's more chance of Mexico invading the US to oust Trump than there is of this being anything serious.

To answer the question in your thread title, it's because you have an anxiety disorder. That is literally the answer.

BrokenGirl
06-03-17, 15:01
Thanks for replying.
I wouldn't say it's an infection/clogged pore as it's under the skin. It's biggish but feels very even and smooth (which i hope is a good thing!!)
How do i stop worrying about this one? I know i can't go running to the doctor with it - she must be nearly ready to ban me from the place at this stage.
Would a "normal" person worry about this?

ServerError
06-03-17, 15:39
Well, it's not worth getting into all the possibilities of what might cause this. I still say my explanations are highly likely. In any case, you're already aware you need therapy, so you're on the right track.

ErinKC
07-03-17, 02:05
Anxiety is like a parasite - it can't thrive without a host, so as soon as one host dies (ie - you stop worrying about one thing) it looks for the next thing to cling on to. So, until you get rid of the parasite it'll never stop finding something to land on.

The bump on your nose is almost certainly nothing to worry about. Maybe a pimple starting under the skin, which I've had many times.

I've been in a good place with my anxiety for a long time now, but every now and then it starts to rear its ugly head. I came up with a system that works well for me. If I notice something weird on my body, or feel a strange sensation that would normally open the flood gates of panic and googling, etc... I go into my phone and set a reminder for 2 weeks to check in on it. If it's nothing to worry about, chances are it'll be gone in 2 weeks. If it's still there I can feel reasonable about calling the doctor. For example, if I have a weird stomach cramp it's probably gas or something similarly harmless. If I have the same pain in my stomach for 2 weeks it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to ask a doctor.

Even if it is something real, it won't kill you in two weeks, so waiting isn't going to hurt. If it's something that really needs immediately medical treatment, though, you wouldn't be sitting around wondering. You'd just know.

The other benefit of this is that it frees my mind from the problem. If I actually schedule a time to think/worry about it, I don't have to worry about it now. Usually what happens is that by the time the 2 weeks is up I've completely forgotten about it and kind of laugh at myself for having been worried in the first place.

snowghost57
07-03-17, 03:09
I like your comment that anxiety is a parasite and looks for a host. I try to predict my future and worry that things will never improve in my life. Waiting and hoping for the Zoloft to start working.

NervUs
07-03-17, 04:36
Thanks for replying.
I wouldn't say it's an infection/clogged pore as it's under the skin. It's biggish but feels very even and smooth (which i hope is a good thing!!)
How do i stop worrying about this one? I know i can't go running to the doctor with it - she must be nearly ready to ban me from the place at this stage.
Would a "normal" person worry about this?

No, a normal person would give it 2 or 3 weeks to get smaller or go away and then MAYBE see a derm. I say maybe because a lot of people would probably let a bump go. A few might get it checked.

At the least, wait a month. That's what my derm always told me for pimples or bumps that linger- wait a month.

BrokenGirl
07-03-17, 11:30
Anxiety is like a parasite - it can't thrive without a host, so as soon as one host dies (ie - you stop worrying about one thing) it looks for the next thing to cling on to. So, until you get rid of the parasite it'll never stop finding something to land on..

Excellent explanation of how anxiety, especially HA, works. I'll keep working on trying to get rid of this parasite!!!

But just with regards to the bump on my nose, I'm not sure if I've explained it right cause it isn't like a spot or anything. It's more a general area of one side of my nose is bigger. Is it possible it could be muscle / cartilage on one side of the nose bigger than the other side? Does anyone else have this?

swajj
07-03-17, 11:41
It has probably always been that way. You just didn't notice it before. The fact that it is something new every day or so should be a comfort to you. Because you can think about probability. If all those other issues turned out to be anxiety then what are the chances that the latest isn't. Until you change the way you think you will continue to manifest new "illnesses".

BrokenGirl
07-03-17, 17:55
Thank you all for the replies.
I was really hoping that my therapy would be starting to help me at this stage, but that was a dead end!!

How do i stop obsessing over my nose? I can't stop feeling it. It's so obvious that there's a lump/bump on the left side. One minute i'm calm, the next minute i'm freaking out. Lump to me always means one thing.......

I'm just so fed up with it all now. I can't see it ever ending:weep::weep:

Leeann812
09-03-17, 02:27
I have a spot on my cheek like that, different from the other side. I worry, but I actually think it's always been like that, I just never noticed until one day I did. Have a doctor feel it next time you're in, but it's probably just a normal spot for you.