PDA

View Full Version : Panic feelings when in shopping malls

Panda22
06-03-17, 15:53
Lately i have been feeling panicky and feelings of unreality when i enter supermarkets or stores.. places i can't get out really quick, or have to wait in line at a check out. It's like that derealization feeling and on the edge of a panic attack. Then when im back home or out of the store i feel fine again.

I have had this DP/DR feeling 2 years ago for a long time, but it completely went away for years. I hate that it's back! It reminders me of that time.. i hate it so much.

I'm trying to avoid going places now, and just stay home so i don't get that feeling. But even at home i'm having some dizziness and weird feelings sometimes. My anxiety is playing up again i think :(

I was doing so good and now this...what do i do?

Cakelady
06-03-17, 21:55
Does it help to try to go with someone, just have short visits at quiet times? Just know it gets harder to do these things once you start withdrawing. You've done really well for the past couple of years. Can you think what helped in the past? xx

Panda22
07-03-17, 13:21
Hi, yeah withdrawing doesn't make it better at all.. I went to the supermarket today and i literally couldn't even get all the items i wanted, i just had to get out because the feeling got so intense. I feel so pathetic i can't even shop like a normal human being. This is the worst it's been

A short visit when it's quiet helps a bit but usually i get so dizzy and out of it i can't even think straight anymore and just want to get the hell out ... i really cant live like this i cant stay at home all the time

Cakelady
07-03-17, 13:40
Just trying to understand, what do you think triggers it? Is it alot of people or just the whole environment in there, too much going on?
Could you try to go to smaller shops, even for just a pint of milk for example. Just so you are still getting out but there isn't as much pressure. Maybe have a friend/relative with you for support. Do you have a supportive doctor?
Your not pathetic at all, anxiety can be very debilitating xx

Panda22
07-03-17, 13:52
Cakelady thanks for your reply. Yeah it's like my brain gets too much input, all the people walking around, my brain notices everything now. I know it's a safe place but it doesn't feel like it, and i just get a really strong urge to go back home.

I do have a smaller shop closer to my home that i go to and it's a lot better, i feel good there, but they don't have everything i need.. My sister is here sometimes but she takes a long time in supermarkets so i feel like that would make it worse

I just can't get over the fact that i can't even do something as simple as go out to buy food... today was the worst i put some items in the shopping cart and then the feeling came on really strong.. like i was about to lose my mind or pass out. So i put the products back on the shelf and got out of there :( So dissapointing

Kuatir
07-03-17, 13:52
I used to (less so these days) get really bad when I was in a Supermarket. Apart for the general treatment of my anxiety I feel the main way in which I got better was by continuing to go to the Supermarket.

Cakelady
07-03-17, 15:40
Aw, yes I know what you mean Panda, I feel like that sometimes when my depression is bad. It is not as strong as you describe but I have seen me not even start or leaving half filled trolleys cos I can't continue shopping, it all becomes a blur & yes if someone with me is slow it does stress me further. Can you do a little at the more in comfortable places & the rest online until you feel a bit better. I think its important to try to get out but try to make it as easy as possible while you are feeling like this.
Try not to be to hard on yourself, maybe instead think despite this anxiety you have done well in getting out xx