PDA

View Full Version : How many were right?

nicole97
06-03-17, 18:51
I'm wondering how many people on here ended up being right? About the major stuff anyway...I think we have all been right at times about whether we have a cold or stomach flu, etc. Has anyone been right on something major?

Drew1994
06-03-17, 18:55
No I never have been and I never plan to.

nicole97
06-03-17, 18:56
I'm hoping to never be right either!

paranoid-viking
06-03-17, 18:58
Gosh, I hope not.That will fuel my anxiety further.

I am going to die one day, that is for sure. But I hope I will be a very old man by then at it will be a peaceful and not violent death from some violent disease.

Fishmanpa
06-03-17, 19:33
I can tell you that out of the tens of thousands of posts and fears I've read here, I know of two people that actually had something serious going on. They're both doing fine now. In fact, their anxiety took a back seat while they dealt with it and has remained there since.

Truth is, even people with HA get sick but 99.999% of the time, it's not what they thought and it can be easily treated.

Positive thoughts

paranoid-viking
06-03-17, 19:38
My grandmother was a hypocondriac. She died in the end, but not from any of the diseases that she feared she was having. Her death was caused by one of the most common conditions that ends the life of elderly people.

nicole97
06-03-17, 19:59
Fishmanpa - I was wondering about that too, if the anxiety still took over their life if actually diagnosed with something serious. But I would imagine at that point you get too busy fighting it.

Paranoid - Alzheimers? Just taking a guess.

paranoid-viking
06-03-17, 20:20
Fishmanpa - I was wondering about that too, if the anxiety still took over their life if actually diagnosed with something serious. But I would imagine at that point you get too busy fighting it.

Paranoid - Alzheimers? Just taking a guess.

No. Pneumonia. Alzheimer is not the most common death cause in old people. Most people do not get Alzheimer. But when your body is old and tired after a long life getting pneumonia in the end is common. And it is a sign that you made it as far as you can come - that you managed to get old without having it shortened by some vile cancer disease for excample. Hopefully you made something out of that long life aswell.

nicole97
06-03-17, 20:38
Ah okay. I know that many WITH alzheimer's die of pneumonia often caused by aspirating their food, so I often equate the two in the elderly. My fault, I didn't think of it separately.

I would like to think that if this stupid HA doesn't get me first (haha) that I will have made something out of my life. I'm raising 3 beautiful children, so I consider that to be pretty worth while! But on that note, I also hope that I can get old enough to have to worry about "old people" causes of death. I am sorry about your grandmother though. :(

bottleblond
06-03-17, 20:39
Nicole

Good thread and very good question.

I could seriously kick myself at times for all those years I wasted, and I really mean wasted thinking and truely believing I was suffering from a fatal illness.

Oh and I was NEVER right!.

Lisa
xxx

orthagonal
06-03-17, 20:44
Not even close to right, not once.

paranoid-viking
06-03-17, 20:54
I have been right many times when I feared that I had developed common cold; that happens of course. But I always recovered from it:)

nicole97
06-03-17, 21:16
An odd sentence to say for sure, but I am glad you were all wrong! :-)

paranoid-viking
06-03-17, 21:18
But I was right about common cold.

bingjam
06-03-17, 21:33
I've diagnosed myself with at least 15 deadly illnesses since I was 15.... I'm now 26 and non have even come close to what I thought they were...... they've all worked back to anxiety which obviously I'm happy about, but I hope my anxiety eventually is another distant memory soon and i can actually enjoy living my life instead of always worrying when the next "deadly illness" occurs....
It is getting a little better as the years go on and my anxiety doesnt get as bad as often any more, but when it does come it comes with a bang and I'm currently going through a cancer stage again (it's not cancer)
Visious circle all the time

ServerError
06-03-17, 21:42
When I thought I'd had a heart attack, I was wrong.
When I thought I had a brain tumour, I was wrong.
When I thought I had skin cancer, I was wrong.
When I thought I had schizophrenia, I was wrong.
When I thought I had multiple sclerosis, I was wrong.
When I thought I had ALS, I was wrong.
When I thought I had stomach cancer, I was wrong.
When I thought I had testicular cancer, I was wrong.
When I thought I had diabetes, I was wrong.

When they told me I had anxiety, I didn't believe them. I do now.

One day, I might be right. Who knows? I'm done worrying about it, though.

nicole97
06-03-17, 21:50
So far I have been very wrong too, thank goodness. But of course, with the HA mind, you think some time SOMEONE has to be right...could be me. I try not to think that way though. It really helps to hear all the people that were wrong. And goes to show what our minds do to us!

LE
06-03-17, 22:13
I have never been right since HA began in 2010.

I thought I had liver cancer, I was wrong
I thought I had lymphoma, I was wrong
I thought I had breast cancer, I was wrong
I thought I had throat cancer, I was wrong
I thought I had tonsil cancer, I was wrong
I thought I had bladder cancer, I was wrong
I thought I had ovarian cancer, I was wrong
I thought I had lung cancer, I was wrong
I thought I had mouth cancer, I was wrong
I thought I had bowel cancer, I was wrong
I thought I had crohns, I was wrong
I thought I had a brain tumour, I was wrong
I thought I had sinus thrombosis, I was wrong
I still think I have ALS.....

I have had tests for all of the above and always turned out normal. There are others I've missed too that is all just off the top of my head.

Toaster
06-03-17, 22:43
Lets see here. I have a pretty fun list of things I was wrong about.

Coronary Artery Disease
Colon Cancer
Stomach Cancer
Chronic Myeloid Leukemia
Essential Thrombocythemia
Chronic Myelomonocytic Leukemia
Polycythemia Vera
Hodgkins Lymphoma
Follicular Lymphoma
Primary Myelofibrosis
Atypical Chronic Myeloid Leukemia
Skin Cancer

So... knock on wood... I have never been right.

The blood disease phase was incredibly crappy, as I have had every test under the sun. I had legitimate signs. Just caused by something else. But I had Flow Cytometry, FISH for BCR-ABL, JAK2, MPL, LDH, countless CBCs.

paranoid-viking
06-03-17, 23:38
I was wrong about rabies. I I had been right I would have been dead for 14 years now and I would have been the forst victimm in my country since the Napoleonic wars, at that time for 189 years.

nicole97
07-03-17, 01:38
Oh goodness! So glad you've all been wrong! I've gone through breast cancer, lung cancer, cervical cancer, pancreatic cancer, soft tissue sarcoma, and currently skin cancer. :-(

ErinKC
07-03-17, 01:50
What a great question! I've never been right about anything I thought I had during a period of anxiety. These things have included: lung cancer, skin cancer, brain tumor, kidney disease, blood clot/pulmonary embolism, MRSA, ovarian cancer, spinal tumor, heart disease... I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them.

I've had one serious medical emergency in my life, that I completely didn't see coming. And, when it did, I dealt with it without anxiety. The anxiety came AFTER when I was in a post-trauma situation thinking of all the things that could have gone wrong, but didn't.

swajj
07-03-17, 11:24
An interesting question. I was never right. I'm not going to write a list of the diseases I was sure I had. Suffice to say that it would be a very long and ridiculous list. I have seen posts here from a couple of people who were diagnosed with "real" medical problems. But they were members who had been here for years so I think their HA was around long before their diagnoses. From what I have read I will say that they seemed to cope very well when they had to. I suspect most of us would.

nicole97
07-03-17, 15:44
I'm thinking that too, that we would cope better if it DID happen than we do just THINKING it might happen. Once we got past the initial OMG feeling of course.

Allochka
07-03-17, 21:09
With all my crazy scares I was always wrong. When my husband was diagnosed with kidney cancer (which I never ever suspected, it came out from the blue) my anxiety took a back seat. Both my husband and me faced cancer battle very calmly and constructively. Husband is cured and doing fine now. 2 years after his diagnosis I feel my anxiety returning, but it is totally unrelated to that cancer scare.
So to answer the main question of the topic - nope, never been right. To answer the second question asked on 1st page - when hypochondriac is faced with real health challenge, he/she can find strength to deal with it in a brave reasonble way. Too busy fighting to worry :-)

Duchesskitty
07-03-17, 21:10
Well at the moment I'm back to one of my classic health anxieties: meningitis. Havent had this particular one in a while. I've had a neck and headache on and off since Saturday and noticed some blood spots on my arm so turned up at the GP in a right state.
He says head and neck ache is tension due to me going back to work on Thursday not something overly horrible. Still hasn't stopped me from checking (now fading) blood spots, constantly nodding my head and taking my temperature religiously.

Capercrohnj
07-03-17, 21:18
Once I was right and diagnosed with Crohn's (strangely even though I was very sick at the time I was able to figure out it was Crohn's not colorectal cancer)

nicole97
07-03-17, 21:47
I'm thinking that our brains exaggerate symptoms to make them something bigger than they are. I know with my current one, skin cancer, I've had a few moles come back as atypical (one was severely) and now I have to have more skin removed and be vigilant about watching them. My brain, of course, has already worked out my death sentence, but in the end, I know I just need to be proactive with it. I WILL deal, even if that isn't my first instinct. Allochka, so glad your husband is okay and you dealt with it calmly. I think when the crisis really does come, we probably subconciously realize we don't have time for all that anxiety. We have actual stuff to do! I could be wrong, but that's how I figure it might be. I know when people I care about have something come up, I don't get anxious about it, I switch to battle mode. I am researching, asking questions, figuring out how things need to be taken care of. No time for anxiety.

Ihavelostmymarbles
07-03-17, 22:00
Well..I knew something was "off" with my body, but I diagnosed myself with the wrong things. I'll find out soon enough what exactly is going on, but having anxiety makes things much harder for me. I'll get symptoms, freak out, and then everything feels worse because I'm trying to fight what I can't control. Fighting my anxiety just gives me more anxiety.

I tell myself this every day: If something bad is wrong, am I going to waste the rest of my time worrying? Or am I going to live?

It's hard but I'm choosing to live.

nicole97
07-03-17, 22:56
Ihavelostmymarbles (great name!), I feel you on that. I try to choose to live too, but sometimes the HA just takes over. I think I'm getting better about it. It's not all consuming like it was. Still there, still sometimes takes over, but for the most part, I try not to let it. It's the worst when I am sitting at my desk at work with WAY too much time to think!

GlassPinata
08-03-17, 03:00
I can only speak for myself, but I have NEVER been right. not about any of the hundreds of life-threatening illnesses I believed i had (and exhibited symptoms of).
Not about any of the stuff I worried that my children had.
One of my sons was diagnosed with schizophrenia at age 19, but I never in a million years saw that coming.
He's coping as well as can be expected, although we had a few rough years.
Other than that, we're all fine and healthy, despite me being convinced that i was dying for the past 25 or 30 years.

As others have said, I could kick myself for all the wasted time.
I want it back.

Sphincterclench
08-03-17, 15:50
I wont go through the list (dont want to give it that much energy) but lets just say I am 0 for 12

nicole97
08-03-17, 16:03
Again, never been happier that everyone was wrong! Glass, I'm sorry to hear about your son, but glad he is coping with it well! I agree, I feel I've wasted a lot of time "dying". I keep trying to remind myself to live. I mean, what if, one of these days, I AM right? I think I would want to live before I die. Keep trying to keep that in mind!

Sphincterclench (another great name, lol), 12 is actually not too bad of a number all things considered, but glad you are 0 for.... :-)

Bigboyuk
08-03-17, 16:09
I think this applies to any/many conditions I know I have wasted years on my condition but slowly moving forward in many ways (not fast enough) But hey cant have everything so grateful for that :) Cheers

alwaysscared234
08-03-17, 16:10
I was right. I made a post here about my anxiety regarding stomach problems and rectal bleeding. Everyone thought I was overreacting because I had a colonoscopy done and that I should just deal with it. Well, the bleeding got worse and I got referred to a new GI who ordered another colonoscopy. It ended up finding a lesion that was previously missed.
I have yet to get the biopsy results, but I'm glad I listened to my instincts. I just hope it's not anything bad.

bin tenn
08-03-17, 16:55
I'm not sure I can say I was "right" - the line is a bit blurry. I worried about heart problems. While my heart is structurally sound and all is well overall, I was "right" that my BP was high. But I take a beta blocker now, and all is well - generally 117/78, even at the doc. No worries, and I wouldn't call this being "right", necessarily.

andysa
09-03-17, 03:32
This is quite fun :

I thought I had Pancreatic cancer, I was wrong
I thought I had lung Cancer, I was wrong
I thought I had melanoma, I was wrong
I thought I had Mesothelioma, I was wrong
I thought I had Colon cancer, I was wrong
I thought I had a heart issue, I was wrong
I thought I had kidney cancer, I was wrong
I thought I had Bone cancer, I was wrong
I thought I had mouth cancer, I was wrong
I thought I had a brain Tumor, I was wrong
I thought I had sinus Cancer, I was wrong
I thought I had COPD, I was wrong
I still think I have ALS

They think I have OCD, they could be right :blush:

nicole97
09-03-17, 14:46
Alwaysscared, omg, definitely a good thing you pushed on that one! Though with rectal bleeding...that is such a physical symptom, one that isn't going to come from anxiety. I would probably be kind of upset with the first GI for missing the lesion. When did they do the biopsy? Please update when you find out!

Bin, you're right, that is a little blurry, but I would probably say still wrong. I think most of us worry about something that will kill us, soon. I'm glad the beta blocker is helping. They have talked about that with me too (I get PVCs), but so far, for my issue, magnesium keeps it in check.

Andysa, also glad you've been wrong so far!

Kuatir
09-03-17, 15:15
Thankfully I am able to relate symptoms back to anxiety. Before I was diagnosed I thought something was very wrong and I was going to snuff it, but had no idea what. I did n't Google it as I didn't want to know.

As soon as I was diagnosed with anxiety I can take a thought about an illness and work out why anxiety would be causing the symptom.

However there was one occasion where I convinced myself I was actually dead.

I was wrong!

Mommyof2boys
09-03-17, 18:28
The only thing I've ever been right about was that I get PVC's and it took 2 years and so many tests and doctor's visits to get diagnosed. No one believed me but I knew what I was feeling. THOUGH, it's not life-threatening and certainly not a "BIG" disease. Just an inconvenience and frustrating. I have been wrong about so many many other things-- aneurysm, brain tumor, cancer, heart attack, MS, STDs-- that it's still safe to say that I am almost always wrong. I am sincerely hoping to still be wrong about what I'm going through now, too. I have a pretty terrible track record of self-diagnosis so maybe I am going to keep it up!

nicole97
09-03-17, 19:43
Mommyof2boys, I hope I continue to be wrong as well. I have PVCs as well. When they started, they went for so long, I thought for sure they have to be damaging the heart somehow, even if they say they are harmless. Thankfully I get them much less now, but they are nerve wracking!

alwaysscared234
09-03-17, 21:18
Alwaysscared, omg, definitely a good thing you pushed on that one! Though with rectal bleeding...that is such a physical symptom, one that isn't going to come from anxiety. I would probably be kind of upset with the first GI for missing the lesion. When did they do the biopsy? Please update when you find out!

Bin, you're right, that is a little blurry, but I would probably say still wrong. I think most of us worry about something that will kill us, soon. I'm glad the beta blocker is helping. They have talked about that with me too (I get PVCs), but so far, for my issue, magnesium keeps it in check.

Yes, I knew something was wrong because I continued having bleeding and low iron levels since September, which was when I had my first colonoscopy. The GI who performed the procedure got very upset with me because I kept pushing for more answers as to why I was bleeding. I finally had enough and requested a different GI, who found the lesion. I get the biopsy results tomorrow.

The most upsetting part for me is that I had made a post here a while ago and people actually got fed up with me being worried. It's so easy to dismiss others when you aren't experiencing the same thing. I'm still so young, only 17. Idk what the biopsy will show but if it's something bad...well, can't say I'm surprised really.

Fishmanpa
09-03-17, 22:01
The most upsetting part for me is that I had made a post here a while ago and people actually got fed up with me being worried. It's so easy to dismiss others when you aren't experiencing the same thing. I'm still so young, only 17. Idk what the biopsy will show but if it's something bad...well, can't say I'm surprised really.

I've looked through your thread and your perception is skewed. Everyone was quite reassuring and supportive based on what you reported and all was reported clear from the first colonoscopy. Many responded, including myself that hemmies can cause blood as can fissures which they did find. The lesion? IMO, at your age, my gut is it will be benign as anything sinister is unheard of at your age. So they found some hemmies. Many people have them and frankly, stress aggravates the digestive system so I'm sure that wasn't helping.

The fact is, 99.99% of the time, what is feared is not what it is and just as much of the time it's anxiety related. You are posting on an anxiety forum after all.

I hope all turns out well. Let us know!

Positive thoughts

AnxiousInWA
10-03-17, 07:39
... But I would imagine at that point you get too busy fighting it...

In my case, this is what happened.

I was right. One of the 0.00000001% of people on here who are/were "right". I was diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma on September 30 of last year. And next week is my last chemo treatment (yay!). Hasn't been fun, obviously, but I'm still alive. And I plan to be for a very long time. In all honesty, my anxiety has been next to nothing. Yes, I have some anxiety that any cancer patient would have, but beyond that, not nearly as much as before.

In my head, cancer was always my worst case scenario, even though in the grand scheme of life, it's not. So when your worst case scenario happens, what do you do? You fight. You deal with things. You move on. You realize that most worrying does absolutely no good. Too bad it only took me getting cancer to finally figure that out.

Fishmanpa
10-03-17, 11:19

I was right. One of the 0.00000001% of people on here who are/were "right". I was diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma on September 30 of last year. And next week is my last chemo treatment (yay!). Hasn't been fun, obviously, but I'm still alive. And I plan to be for a very long time. In all honesty, my anxiety has been next to nothing. Yes, I have some anxiety that any cancer patient would have, but beyond that, not nearly as much as before.

In my head, cancer was always my worst case scenario, even though in the grand scheme of life, it's not. So when your worst case scenario happens, what do you do? You fight. You deal with things. You move on. You realize that most worrying does absolutely no good. Too bad it only took me getting cancer to finally figure that out.

Way to go fellow warrior and survivor! Your sentiments echo mine concerning dealing with what life throws at you and you would be only the third person I know of here that actually had something going on. And you're spot on about focusing and doing what you have to do. It's not surprising that your anxiety took a back seat and has stayed there. I've heard the same thing from two others who faced their fears head on. And yes, you gain a new perspective on life, learn to value the little things and stop sweating the small stuff :)

With respect, I know you posted here but it was just one thread when this all started. Many have years of history, pages of threads and fears and are "0" for who knows how many ;)

Positive thoughts

beatroon
10-03-17, 12:11
Er, let me count up the ways I have been wrong….oh my gosh…I was 'right' on a grand total of….0 out of 13 grand illness scenarios and various other horrendous imagined predicaments. Many of these took up YEARS of my life. However, I have now made a commitment to my own mental health and am doing much better.

bin tenn
10-03-17, 13:15

I agree, it's definitely more being wrong than right. I'm glad magnesium helps you! What lead to trying that? Was the magnesium blood count low/abnormal? All my labs are good aside from cholesterol, but my palpitations seem to be directly related to my level of stress and anxiety. As of late, I've not had (at least not noticed) a single palpitation in a couple weeks or more.

nicole97
10-03-17, 16:54
Always, please let us know how the biopsy turns out!

Anxious, oh wow! I'm so glad you have such a positive outlook on things. I think that's so important. Hard to do I'm sure, but very important!

Fishmanpa, you are always the voice of reason on here and I love that about you!

Bin, I actually saw a cardio guy and he said a good majority of the people he comes across have PVCs due to low magnesium. He said bloodwork doesn't accurately show your magnesium count. So he suggested to try it and see if it helped and he did a follow up about 6 weeks after that and then a couple months after that. It has definitely made a difference! He definitely said that stress, caffeine, unhealthy eating, can bring them about. I had a few days where they came back over Christmas, but I was eating like garbage and was under a crazy amount of stress. It has since subsided. I check in with him once a year now.

bin tenn
10-03-17, 17:21
Good for you! I didn't know that about blood levels of magnesium. If they ever start to bother me again I will ask my doc or cardiologist about it. In the meantime I've vastly improved my overall diet, working on sleeping better, etc, so we'll see!

nicole97
10-03-17, 19:24
Good, I hope that is all helping! I need to work on the sleep a bit, but it's getting better!

PASchoolSyndrome
10-03-17, 23:50
I was right in the sense that there was *technically* something wrong with me, but I was wrong that I thought it was anything more sinister than a bit of inflammation. I was having chest pains and was currently in a lymphoma scare due to some lymph nodes I thought were enlarged.. turned out I did have costochondritis but my HA made me think it was something way way worse (kind of still does sometimes).

---------- Post added at 19:50 ---------- Previous post was at 19:39 ----------

This makes me really glad to read. Not that you were right, but that your attitude has changed.. also hell yeah you ring that bell next week!! That is such wonderful news (:

Mav
11-03-17, 00:59
My health anxiety started before I even knew what health anxiety was...

Pulminary embolism-I was wrong
costochondritis- I was wrong
I thought I had a heart condition- I was wrong
I thought I have the beginnings of breast cancer - I was wrong
Continously fearing lymphoma, now have an ENT appointment and I'm hoping I'm wrong which more likely to happen than me being right.

alwaysscared234
16-03-17, 16:30
Nicole - the lesion was precancerous. I'm glad they took it all out, but I'm just wondering what could have happened if I let it stay in there! We called my old GI on the phone, and he'll be meeting with us next week. I'm obviously pretty upset, but I can't say I was too shocked, especially with the symptoms I was having.

unsure_about_this
16-03-17, 17:10
I been wrong so many times, there only time I have been right is when a dental abcesss which I could see the infection on the xray my dentist ask me could I see what was wrong (I dont need to be trained how to read xrays when you see something is wrong)

nicole97
17-03-17, 20:01
Always, oh goodness! I guess it's a good thing it was "pre" and not full blown! But they got it, and I would imagine that would mean you just have to be diligent in the future and make sure everything is having an eye kept on it yes?

Worrywart1234
17-03-17, 20:26
I was wrong this week. I couldn't eat and cried for 2 days thinking I had breast cancer..... turns out it was mastitis because my baby has started sleeping through the night. HA is diabolical!

alwaysscared234
18-03-17, 16:49
Nicole - Yes, they recommended a colonoscopy every five years now. The specialist who performed the colonoscopy said that since the lesion was so small it probably wasn't seen clearly in the previous scope. I'm glad I listened to my instincts, though. And I'm sure as hell glad I didn't wait too long to get rechecked!

To all NMP users out there, there's health anxiety and then there's common sense. If you feel something is wrong, and if you're having very physical symptoms, like bleeding, that cannot be explained, then please get rechecked. It saved my life. It could be nothing, but be proactive and don't let anyone tell you that you're being ridiculous. I was told this by my old GI and my parents, and I ended up almost having cancer.

GlassPinata
18-03-17, 17:32
My friend was positive he had cancer. It turned out to be pleurisy, once he finally got up the nerve to go to the doctor, and it was treatable.
I think those of us with health anxiety often take a symptom and magnify it.
So maybe it was *something*.... but not as bad as we thought.

roadtorelex
18-03-17, 21:00
Nicole - Yes, they recommended a colonoscopy every five years now. The specialist who performed the colonoscopy said that since the lesion was so small it probably wasn't seen clearly in the previous scope. I'm glad I listened to my instincts, though. And I'm sure as hell glad I didn't wait too long to get rechecked!

To all NMP users out there, there's health anxiety and then there's common sense. If you feel something is wrong, and if you're having very physical symptoms, like bleeding, that cannot be explained, then please get rechecked. It saved my life. It could be nothing, but be proactive and don't let anyone tell you that you're being ridiculous. I was told this by my old GI and my parents, and I ended up almost having cancer.

Like Fishmanpa, I also had replied to your thread and I looked over it again today. What confuses me is that you mentioned that biopsies were taken in your first colonoscopy. Now, I could be wrong, but in the unlikely possibility that the camera itself missed something, biopsies usually show abnormalities happening at a cellular level. They are literally tissues taken from your colon and could indicate inflammation or cancer. I find it strange that you ended up having something serious and it did not show up on the biopsies.

When you meet with your GI, I would ask specifically where they took the biopsies from, because you had both an upper and lower scope. They could have just taken samples from the upper portion to check for things like celiac's, and since your colon looked clean, they may not have felt that biopsies were necessary. Another possibility is that the blood you had back then really were from hemorrhoids that may have been hidden and the lesion just developed over time. Did you have worsening symptoms?

Whatever it was, you must get some clarification about this. Things like this should not be missed, especially from a certified GI. I wish you good luck and I hope you get some answers.

swajj
18-03-17, 23:35
Always scared you make it sound like you were at death's door. Did you have a polyp removed? I had a polyp removed a couple of years ago. I had no bleeding at all. I have to have a colonoscopy every 5 years because a polyp was found. My friend has to have one every year because there is a family history of bowel cancer. The fact that you only have to have one done in another 5 years should be reassuring because if the GI was at all concerned he would be recommending another one much sooner than that.

btw you came to a health anxiety forum for advice. There are no doctors here, mainly we are just a bunch of HA sufferers. It is just natural for people to assume that you have health anxiety. Why else would you come here? There are many other boards discussing bowel cancer etc. Why pick here instead of there? You came here for reassurance that there was nothing wrong with you. You got what you came for. It didn't work, it never does.

alwaysscared234
19-03-17, 01:07
Always scared you make it sound like you were at death's door. Did you have a polyp removed? I had a polyp removed a couple of years ago. I had no bleeding at all. I have to have a colonoscopy every 5 years because a polyp was found. My friend has to have one every year because there is a family history of bowel cancer. The fact that you only have to have one done in another 5 years should be reassuring because if the GI was at all concerned he would be recommending another one much sooner than that.

btw you came to a health anxiety forum for advice. There are no doctors here, mainly we are just a bunch of HA sufferers. It is just natural for people to assume that you have health anxiety. Why else would you come here? There are many other boards discussing bowel cancer etc. Why pick here instead of there? You came here for reassurance that there was nothing wrong with you. You got what you came for. It didn't work, it never does.

Sounded like I was at death's door? When did I ever mention anything about death? I said I almost had cancer, which is true. PRE cancerous means BEFORE cancer occurs. I said that the colonoscopy saved my life because if I let my symptoms go on, the lesion would have turned into cancer. I had no polyp removed.

Yes, I came to the health anxiety forum for advice because that's what I thought I had. I took all your advice, I changed my diet, I meditated, I wrote stories, I spent time with my family, I talked to therapists, I thought positively. You don't know how hard I tried to fight it. But when my symptoms started to worsen, when I constantly felt uncomfortable and even more worried that something was wrong, when the bleeding didn't stop, I had that gut feeling that I NEEDED to get checked out again. I can only deal with these symptoms for so long without thinking that something serious is happening. When there was no improvement, I told my parents and even at that point they were a bit concerned as well. That's when I stopped going back to this thread because I knew it wouldn't help me.

You sound frustrated. I'm sorry if I made you feel that way, but I'm saying this based on my experience. This thread is asking who was right, so I'm talking about MY experience being right about my symptoms.

And btw, I DID go on other forums. This was just one of the forums I went to. I wanted as much help as I could get. I went to health and cancer forums and wrote pretty much what I wrote here, and a few people told me that I should push for more answers based on how I was feeling. So I did. I went to a new GI and we started over. She knew how worried I was, we discussed my symptoms, and she ordered another scope. If she didn't think I needed one, she wouldn't have done it. :)

---------- Post added at 01:07 ---------- Previous post was at 00:45 ----------

Like Fishmanpa, I also had replied to your thread and I looked over it again today. What confuses me is that you mentioned that biopsies were taken in your first colonoscopy. Now, I could be wrong, but in the unlikely possibility that the camera itself missed something, biopsies usually show abnormalities happening at a cellular level. They are literally tissues taken from your colon and could indicate inflammation or cancer. I find it strange that you ended up having something serious and it did not show up on the biopsies.

When you meet with your GI, I would ask specifically where they took the biopsies from, because you had both an upper and lower scope. They could have just taken samples from the upper portion to check for things like celiac's, and since your colon looked clean, they may not have felt that biopsies were necessary. Another possibility is that the blood you had back then really were from hemorrhoids that may have been hidden and the lesion just developed over time. Did you have worsening symptoms?

Whatever it was, you must get some clarification about this. Things like this should not be missed, especially from a certified GI. I wish you good luck and I hope you get some answers.

Thank you. It confuses me too, but I will definitely talk to my GI about this.

swajj
19-03-17, 01:26
I was right. I made a post here about my anxiety regarding stomach problems and rectal bleeding. Everyone thought I was overreacting because I had a colonoscopy done and that I should just deal with it. Well, the bleeding got worse and I got referred to a new GI who ordered another colonoscopy. It ended up finding a lesion that was previously missed.
I have yet to get the biopsy results, but I'm glad I listened to my instincts. I just hope it's not anything bad.

This is one of your posts from this thread. It comes across as you blaming people here for giving you the wrong advice. Once again there are no doctors here. The sort of advice you can expect to get is that you need to get help with your anxiety. For instance, if someone comes here and says something like "I keep having bad headaches and dizzy spells but tests have revealed nothing is wrong" we aren't going to say "the tests were wrong it sounds like you have low blood pressure". We aren't doctors and even if we were we couldn't physically examine you over the Internet. Your posts have me a bit baffled so you tell me what you would have considered an acceptable response to your concerns.

tryingtosurvive1
19-03-17, 02:00
I thought someone was wrong with my feet, because they suddenly were getting numb and VERY painful. My guesses were something autoimmune, like arthritis or MS. I also read up on Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, in which people have trouble recovering from an injury.
Turns out I and many members of my family have a mutation that causes peripheral neuropathy, and mine is just getting worse.
The thing was, I've always had extremely weird, high-arched feet, but I was in complete denial that this real anomaly could be connected to my problem. Even after the rheumatologist suggested it I thought it wasn't possible.
I also went through the ALS fear period, because what I do have is neuromuscular.
Anyway, I think the moral is that doctors don't withhold diagnoses from you, and you can't diagnose yourself.

---------- Post added at 19:00 ---------- Previous post was at 18:40 ----------

actually, if you want to find out what could be a condition you have, think of something many people have mentioned to you over the years, but you've brushed off. Like my family and our feet.
In most cases, people here would come up . . . an anxiety problem . . . I bet.

alwaysscared234
19-03-17, 03:03

This is one of your posts from this thread. It comes across as you blaming people here for giving you the wrong advice. Once again there are no doctors here. The sort of advice you can expect to get is that you need to get help with your anxiety. For instance, if someone comes here and says something like "I keep having bad headaches and dizzy spells but tests have revealed nothing is wrong" we aren't going to say "the tests were wrong it sounds like you have low blood pressure". We aren't doctors and even if we were we couldn't physically examine you over the Internet. Your posts have me a bit baffled so you tell me what you would have considered an acceptable response to your concerns.

Well then, I'm sorry I came across that way. I definitely did not mean to blame anyone, I never said that it was your guys' faults that this happened. I was just a bit upset that I did end up having something wrong with me. I mean, how would you feel, having all these doctors tell you that you're being ridiculous and nothing is wrong but still having to deal with these problems, and then end up having something bad?

All of the responses I got were "acceptable." I even said I took your advice. I never said there was anything wrong with what you guys were telling me. I was just getting increasingly worried and frustrated that nothing seemed to be helping.

MamaBat
02-05-17, 11:47
I thought I had..

*a brain tumor - atually was stress-induced headaches
*breast cancer - actually was hormonal swelling due to peri-menopause
*bone cancer in foot - actually was a ganglion cyst
*bone cancer in hand - actually was a ganglion cyst
*cervical cancer - actually was treatable pre-cancer cells
*uterine cancer - actually was a tiny fibroid
*skin cancer - actually was a benign skin lesion
*sarcoma in thigh - actually was a lipoma
*osteosarcoma - actually was a osteochondroma (this one was actually super scary to myself and a team of doctors and led me on the path to a lifetime of HA).

This doesn't even begin to describe all of the illnesses I thought my children have had over the years, from neurofibromatosis to tuberculosis. :wacko:

HA is the devil. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Thelegend27
04-05-17, 02:47
It's rarely anything serious, swollen lymph node, muscle twitches, head aches, cramps, blood clot fears, als, cancer, are just some of the many things people post about but rarely ever get diagnosed with any of it.

Health anxiety will make you believe you're dying, that's why most of us are here.

unsure_about_this
04-05-17, 13:06
So far I had thought I have had at least 150 types of cancers including more worrying some only women can get. I have been wrong some many times but I know my body the best, if something does not feel right I go to GP daily if I have to

axolotl
04-05-17, 14:00
So far I had thought I have had at least 150 types of cancers including more worrying some only women can get. I have been wrong some many times but I know my body the best, if something does not feel right I go to GP daily if I have to

With respect, going to the doctors with 150 types of fictional cancers really doesn't scream of knowing your body the best... on your daily visits do you ever talk about how to beat hypochondria?

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:48 ----------

In the spirit of the thread, in the last two and a half years I've "had" the following. These have lasted anywhere from a day to months...

Adrenal Gland Cancer
Bowel Cancer
Colon Cancer
Cushing's Disease
Deep Vein Thrombosis
Diabetes
Heart Failure
Leukaemia
Lung Cancer
Lyme Disease
Lymphoma
Multiple sclerosis
Prostate Cancer
Prostatitis
Renal Cancer
Sarcoma
Shingles
Testicular Cancer
Tooth Decay

In this time I've actually been diagnosed with

Anxiety
Slight B12 deficiency
Varicoceles

unsure_about_this
04-05-17, 17:23
I have talk to one of the GPs I have seen in the past, he was the one who referred me to CBT the first time no longer works at the pratice. I have talked to my current GP who is trying to see where I am on the waiiting list, how to beat hypochondria he thinks tablets might help me.

So far in the last 5 years I have diagnosed myself with bowel cancer, testicle cancer (at least three times) kidney cancer, stomach cancer, eye cancer, prostate cancer, liver cancer, skin failure (what ever this is) and many others

The other things I have been diagnosed with are
some cysts around the epdidymis, a dental abcess (which i sort of diagnosed myself with x ray proofed it) anxiety, tooth problems (which I have treated where needed - I hate my teeth, but better that any decay I get gets treated sooner than later)

scaredpt
04-05-17, 19:40
This is a good exercise. Past few years:
Thought I had:
Heart attack
COPD
MS
Breast Cancer
Lymphoma
Luekemia
Dengue Fever

Had:
tooth issues, mono, the flu

paranoid-viking
04-05-17, 20:48
Sounded like I was at death's door? When did I ever mention anything about death? I said I almost had cancer, which is true. PRE cancerous means BEFORE cancer occurs. I said that the colonoscopy saved my life because if I let my symptoms go on, the lesion would have turned into cancer. I had no polyp removed.

Yes, I came to the health anxiety forum for advice because that's what I thought I had. I took all your advice, I changed my diet, I meditated, I wrote stories, I spent time with my family, I talked to therapists, I thought positively. You don't know how hard I tried to fight it. But when my symptoms started to worsen, when I constantly felt uncomfortable and even more worried that something was wrong, when the bleeding didn't stop, I had that gut feeling that I NEEDED to get checked out again. I can only deal with these symptoms for so long without thinking that something serious is happening. When there was no improvement, I told my parents and even at that point they were a bit concerned as well. That's when I stopped going back to this thread because I knew it wouldn't help me.

You sound frustrated. I'm sorry if I made you feel that way, but I'm saying this based on my experience. This thread is asking who was right, so I'm talking about MY experience being right about my symptoms.

And btw, I DID go on other forums. This was just one of the forums I went to. I wanted as much help as I could get. I went to health and cancer forums and wrote pretty much what I wrote here, and a few people told me that I should push for more answers based on how I was feeling. So I did. I went to a new GI and we started over. She knew how worried I was, we discussed my symptoms, and she ordered another scope. If she didn't think I needed one, she wouldn't have done it. :)

---------- Post added at 01:07 ---------- Previous post was at 00:45 ----------

Thank you. It confuses me too, but I will definitely talk to my GI about this.

Lesions? Now I am confused? So there is avtually a pre-cancerous stage that docs can see before cancer turns up? Now I am worried again, considered that I have some discomfort that may also be present in the dreaded pancreatic cancer; but these have come and gone for 8-9 months now.
But you are saying that you are 17 years old, right? And that you were close to developing COLON CANCER? I have never ever heard of anyone that young with colon cancer; youngest case I heard abouit was 37 and even that is considered young and unusual. Are you sure you were close to developing colon cancer? Did the doc confirm that?
Now I am thinking that I may have pancreatic lesison.

CHELLEB1017
04-05-17, 21:19
Well so far I thought I had breast cancer but in all fairness my nipple swelled up like a freaking tator tot due to breastfeeding issues, lung cancer but was really bronchitis that lingered for 8 weeks, and now some type of cancer that has reached two lymphnodes in the back of my neck. Hopefully I will have the results from my ultrasound tomorrow to see if I am right or wrong. Glad everyone for the most part was wrong about the serious stuff :)

matrix123
05-05-17, 08:48
Until now always wrong...and you can check here (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=119169) everything I have thought I had

walkerbull
05-05-17, 09:14
* Testicle cancer
* Prostate cancer

Leukemia, actually turned out to be severe pneumonia, I was surprised when my Mum told me that she was worried I was going to die. The first doctor told me it was strep throat and it progressed. Concerned, she took me again the other GP was concerned so sent me to do an X-ray of my chest. They found my lung had virtually collapsed and I couldn't breath, I went from my status-quo fat self 110 kg (I'm 6.3) to 75 kg's within a few weeks. That is why I have a natural distrust of doctors. I still have breathing problems and have always had that on my conscience.

* Currently, it is a Brain tumour or ALS, MS, or some other neurological disorder because of my twitches that started in my face have spread all over my body along with random headaches and flashes in my vision. I have been to the doctor, who for some reason just didn't really take it seriously (offered blood tests but thought they were not necessary), we talked about anxiety for 45 minutes and what it can do. And is sending me to a psychologist.

axolotl
05-05-17, 09:25
who for some reason just didn't really take it seriously

You know why - they're highly trained and experienced professionals who know the difference a mile off between anxiety-induced symptoms and the nasty stuff when they see it, and would get you in for tests quick-sharp if they had even the slightest suspicion.

walkerbull
05-05-17, 09:44
You know why - they're highly trained and experienced professionals who know the difference a mile off between anxiety-induced symptoms and the nasty stuff when they see it, and would get you in for tests quick-sharp if they had even the slightest suspicion.

I know, sort of came to the realization when he just looked me up and down and started talking about anxiety and said even blood tests were unecessary.
:roflmao:

He is fresh out of medical school, I had seen him before.

---------- Post added at 08:44 ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 ----------

Also, out of curiosity. What is the "NHS" like in the United Kingdom?.

axolotl
05-05-17, 10:07
I know, sort of came to the realization when he just looked me up and down and started talking about anxiety and said even blood tests were unecessary.
:roflmao:

He is fresh out of medical school, I had seen him before.

---------- Post added at 08:44 ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 ----------

Also, out of curiosity. What is the "NHS" like in the United Kingdom?.

Underfunded (largely due to ideological machinations of our current government who want to see it fail so there's more public support for its privatisation). It can be slow, it can be inefficient, but it's one of the greatest achievements of this country. I don't want to get into arguments with anyone, and I know it's a controversial topic in the USA, but I honestly can't think how any government thinks it's right any of their citizens need to worry about the financial cost of being ill.

An example yesterday - I have an ear infection. I called the doctor that morning. I saw them that afternoon. I got a prescription. It cost me a grand total of £8 for the prescription (a flat rate no matter how expensive the medicine is) and that was it.

walkerbull
05-05-17, 10:28
Underfunded (largely due to ideological machinations of our current government who want to see it fail so there's more public support for its privatisation). It can be slow, it can be inefficient, but it's one of the greatest achievements of this country. I don't want to get into arguments with anyone, and I know it's a controversial topic in the USA, but I honestly can't think how any government thinks it's right any of their citizens need to worry about the financial cost of being ill.

An example yesterday - I have an ear infection. I called the doctor that morning. I saw them that afternoon. I got a prescription. It cost me a grand total of £8 for the prescription (a flat rate no matter how expensive the medicine is) and that was it.

Yeah, domestic politics are always different even in Commonwealth countries. Our healthcare system is essentially a mixed system where I'd say over 97% of expenses are paid by the government.

I can't fathom how the American's fail to provide basic healthcare. The GP visit cost about $18.00 - ‎£9.60

Our Centre-right party wouldn't dare touch public health. As our former PM Jim Bolger put it "The Americans talk a lot about freedom, but Kiwis talk about fairness."

MyNameIsTerry
05-05-17, 11:09

The funny thing is, many of our meds are far cheaper than that prescription charge. I was very surprised when I started looking at their pricing to realise the line that it is a discount is seriously flawed.

Plus we do pay taxes to fund it all.

We need to keep it but we also need to be more aware that some of what they say has been stretching the truth for a long time.

The NHS was getting cut under both parties in my city going back before Major. I think we have to be mindful of Labour overspending leading us to where we are now as well as Tory ideology. Labour did privatise too didn't they?

Strange times with no opposition. I think the NHS is still wanted though and despite having little else to vote for, ditching it would be the end of any party.

walkerbull
05-05-17, 11:30
The funny thing is, many of our meds are far cheaper than that prescription charge. I was very surprised when I started looking at their pricing to realise the line that it is a discount is seriously flawed.

We need to keep it but we also need to be more aware that some of what they say has been stretching the truth for a long time.

The NHS was getting cut under both parties in my city going back before Major. I think we have to be mindful of Labour overspending leading us to where we are now as well as Tory ideology. Labour did privatise too didn't they?

Strange times with no opposition. I think the NHS is still wanted though and despite having little else to vote for, ditching it would be the end of any party.

To be fair when John Major (think was 1990) entered Downing Street the UK was already in a recession due to horrendously high interest rates.

Thatcher came to power in 1979 with the damage of all the strikes and stoppages, Army Landrovers had to come in and take people to hospital due to the strikes during the Winter of Discontent.

She did say however, "The NHS is safe in our hands". And made pretty popular reforms in a structural sense, such as the "Follow the patients". All in all, David Cameron could've not have cut it upon coming to power, the Financial Crisis and inflation would cause the sense of impending doom to any government.

CUT! CUT! CUT! said Osborne, trying to revive the Thatcherite era.

And thus precipitated the Tottenham riots because of chronic poverty, unemployment.

All in all the NHS has been put in jeopardy due to the gross mismanagement of public finances and unnecessary tax cuts that failed to stimulate growth at all.

Sorry, I rambled on a bit. We have a history assessment come next Monday, I decided to do the Thatcher era.

MyNameIsTerry
05-05-17, 11:59
Somehow I don't think many of those in the Tottenham riots were in it for anything more than violence & looting. Complaining about austerity whilst damaging small businesses and causing hundreds of millions to be paid out is not good for the NHS either.

Still, many a person got themselves a new telly that day. :winks: Poverty doesn't mean you turn to crime, many don't. I really don't think they were committed to the struggling old folks either.

Osborne is pretty loathed here now. He showed himself up over Brexit with his fantasy cuts that never came and I guess many are left questioning what else he lied about. Cameron proved a coward. But debt has lead us here.

Still we continue to waste money daily. Personally I would rather see more money go to the NHS than to an artist's depiction of the GE or the many other nice to haves.

walkerbull
05-05-17, 12:11
Somehow I don't think many of those in the Tottenham riots were in it for anything more than violence & looting. Complaining about austerity whilst damaging small businesses and causing hundreds of millions to be paid out is not good for the NHS either.

Still, many a person got themselves a new telly that day. :winks: Poverty doesn't mean you turn to crime, many don't. I really don't think they were committed to the struggling old folks either.

Osborne is pretty loathed here now. He showed himself up over Brexit with his fantasy cuts that never came and I guess many are left questioning what else he lied about. Cameron proved a coward. But debt has lead us here.

Still we continue to waste money daily. Personally I would rather see more money go to the NHS than to an artist's depiction of the GE or the many other nice to haves.

Pretty peaceful scenario down in little old New Zealand.

Other than the odd argument about immigration and mortgages.

Funnily enough, the Nats pulled a 1.8 billion dollar surplus out of no where so are milking it to the extreme. Regardless of the fact 71,000 people are immigrating here.

axolotl
05-05-17, 13:28

Well, maybe an individual prescription level was a bad example from me (although we'll also get a lot of stuff prescribed to us that's significantly more than £8). And of course it comes out of our taxes. But the one time I was seriously ill I can't imagine my family dealing with that and worrying about how much it was all going to cost. That's where it's important.

Also note any criticism of our current government from me is any big endorsement for any of the alternatives or me absolving them from blame...

---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 13:17 ----------

And thus precipitated the Tottenham riots because of chronic poverty, unemployment.

You mean the 2011 riots? That's a very simplistic and probably almost completely wrong view of it. Yes it was a factor, but inequality and the Met Police's race relations probably had more to do with its inception, and the subsequent virus of rioting that spread through London and other parts of the UK is one for psychologists rather than economists to work out, as there were some very odd psychological factors of why people joined in and other cities were hit.

MyNameIsTerry
05-05-17, 17:06
Well, maybe an individual prescription level was a bad example from me (although we'll also get a lot of stuff prescribed to us that's significantly more than £8). And of course it comes out of our taxes. But the one time I was seriously ill I can't imagine my family dealing with that and worrying about how much it was all going to cost. That's where it's important.

Also note any criticism of our current government from me is any big endorsement for any of the alternatives or me absolving them from blame...

---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 13:17 ----------

You mean the 2011 riots? That's a very simplistic and probably almost completely wrong view of it. Yes it was a factor, but inequality and the Met Police's race relations probably had more to do with its inception, and the subsequent virus of rioting that spread through London and other parts of the UK is one for psychologists rather than economists to work out, as there were some very odd psychological factors of why people joined in and other cities were hit.

I understand what you mean, I agree. I've had ops in my life and they would cripple us financially so I'm very appreciative of the NHS being there. Right now I would be screwed in an insurance system.

It does annoy me that I could take my NHS prescription and actually buy my my meds cheaper from a pharmacy than I pay. I still go the NHS route though and they make a little off it back. It's at least a way of putting back while I'm not contributing much in tax. Not that I mean the staff in this, they are what I respect the most, I mean more the politicians & brass telling us to appreciate the subsidy when many of us may be worse off for it. But I accept as an overall, it's different.

Agreed on the riots too. The poverty mentioned, unemployment, etc is still there. It was about the shooting and cover up. But still, violence wasn't just aimed at the police. Many are thugs just along for the ride. It's more complex and potentially differs by region when it comes to the issues with police treatment.

spacebunnyx
23-08-18, 19:13
I've diagnosed myself with: melanoma, bowel cancer, breast cancer, lung cancer, stroke, DVT, thyroid cancer - to name a few. I was wrong with all of these. Sometimes I was truly ill - but never my worst case scenario (a breast abscess I thought was inflammatory breast cancer for example.

However, my anxiety did save my unborn child's life... I knew something was wrong and had to fight doctors for a rescan. He was out minutes after the scan. Tiny, 6 weeks early and very poorly, but alive.

coastgirl
23-08-18, 21:32
I went into a skin exam extremely worried about a mole on my face that was itchy. I was having a lot of anxiety (my usual skin anxiety) going in.

They biopsied it and also biopsied another white bump on my nose that I really wasn't thinking anything of.

I had to go to urgent care because I was having a panic attack after they biopsied it (all my other skin visits they never biopsied anything). I was on Xanax for a week.

The mole I was worried about was completely benign. But the other spot was a basal cell. I took a tailspin after that, but basal cell is NOT DANGEROUS, even though at the time I thought I was doomed. My therapist could not convince me it wasn't deadly at the time. The waiting to get it off was the worst, but once the day of the appointment came to get it removed I was totally calm. Just happy to have it behind me.

If I were to get another basal cell, I wouldn't worry at all. They are barely even skin cancers.

Unfortunately because something with a C came back from all that I've had a very hard time coping with skin checks. I also thought that my fears were "confirmed" because I had something with the word cancer attached to it.

But in the end, I wasn't right. I thought I had an amelatonic melanoma on my cheek because it itches like crazy sometimes, but it was absolutely completely benign.

I've had health anxiety my ENTIRE LIFE and I've been worried about a litany of diseases. I guess at some point in your life (I'm 34) you'll end up with a health issue here or there. But mine was certainly not deadly or had any lasting effect on me.

mare serenitatis
24-08-18, 04:02
I’ve been concerned about:

Lymphoma, meningitis, throat cancer, pulmonary embolisms, and heart attacks, and CFS leak.

What ended up happening was: a very unlucky, unnamed virus, strep throat, bronchitis, and panic attacks, as well as GERD, teeth issues and tonsillitis.

I’m currently 0/6 and loving every minute of it.

I’m in therapy, and working towards dealing with and managing my anxieties, and recognizing that my physical symptoms get worse when I’m sick because of my anxieties.

Kingdawson
24-08-18, 18:43
Bump

This thread should be stickied.

BikerMatt
24-08-18, 20:29
Seen a few people post about the NHS here, this is how i see it.....

The Tories have consistently attacked the NHS, broken it down so it can't function anymore. They won't the NHS to self destruct, that's the point because if the NHS is on it's knees it makes selling the idea of selling the NHS off easier.

When the Tories claim the NHS is their priority, they're not fu##ing kidding! It's their priority, to turn it into a competitive market place rather than a health service, it's deliberate!!!

They hide their cut's by ignoring inflation and by cutting social care by a huge% they've fu##ed up the system as you now have people in hospital beds who need social care not medical care!

When senior DR's are saying people are experiencing 3rd world conditions, there's a fu##ing problem! When operations are cancelled on mass, there's a fu##ing problem! When people are waiting endlessly, there's a fu##ing problem! When people are sleeping on floors, there's a fu##ing problem!

It's a crisis and a crisis the goverment alone have created! "Oh sorry" If you say sorry but don't mean it that's not an opology, it's a fu##ing insult! How dare they act suprised when the NHS is on it's, this has been 9 years in the making of this Tory government!!!!!!!

A few extras.....

Benefit cut's! Taxing poor people's extra bedrooms but tax cut's for the rich.

Grenfell tower and flamable cladding, flamable cladding because it was cheaper and it was to make the outside look nicer so posh people don't have to look at shi#y housing!!!

When David Cameron was the PM the Tories voted against a housing bill, it wasn't asking much! It wasn't attemping to turn Buckingham Palace into temp housing for sex offenders. It was suggesting that private landlords have a legal obligation to ensure their properties are fit for human habitation. What sort of fu##er votes against that? I wonder how many of the 70 Tory MP's who are also private landlord's voted against it including David Cameron? Well, it was all of them!!!

And BREATHE Matthew!!

Andrash
24-08-18, 21:09
To answer the original question: I have been present at this forum since 2013. In 5 years, I have only known one person that actually got it right - she feared a serious disease and she eventually had it. However, I think she is doing fine.

I also know another person that got diagnosed with a (fairly) serious issue, but he didn't have any anxiety about that particular thing - it still turned out that he didn't have all the things he feared.

Everybody else, as far as I know, got it wrong and it was either anxiety or something completely harmless (cold, fly, IBS, acid reflux, TMJ, benign mole, pinched nerve and so on).

Sammyeb27
25-08-18, 13:38
This honestly has helped me to see how many people have been there. You always dwell on the newest problem with your body and forget all the times you were wrong before. I just managed to convince myself for over a year now I have a super rare sarcoma and the fear just never goes away after seeing 3 doctors. I hope to be wrong about that too but the "what if's" and "does it matter if its rare if it exists at all? I could be the one to get it" are constantly there. I'm sure I'll look back on this one day and think I'm an idiot, I always have in the past.

hazelbritt
25-08-18, 18:10
I have been wrong about so many illnesses.

I didn't have a heart attack or parkinson's. I didn't have HIV. I didn't have herpes. I didn't have a tumour behind my ear. I could breathe even when I thought that I couldn't. I didn't have prostate cancer (I'm a woman). I didn't have ovarian cancer or cervical cancer. I didn't have breast cancer. I didn't have stomach cancer. I never had meningitis.

The two medical issues I have had - gallstones and pneumonia - I knew what it was and handled it calmly without anxiety. Even when I had a gallstone attack that had me calling an ambulance when I was home alone with my 7 week old daughter - it was a painful and intense experience, but I never worried about dying or that it was anything more than gallstones. It's weird how it's usually the vague symptoms that cause me so much grief.

It was helpful to remind myself of this. Now I just need to believe that I also do not have throat cancer/skin cancer/leukemia/lymphoma and/or MS/ALS. Yes, I am having a lot of difficulty with health anxiety right now!

lucymarie
25-08-18, 18:23
I'm not sure I could actually remember half the things I've thought I had but I will list some of the funnier ones.

Lung cancer - tight muscles because I'm unfit and tried to run uphill
Esophageal cancer - anxiety (caused by worrying about the above^) that resulted in globus sensation
Ovarian cancer - constipation and a case of the toots :blush:
Bowel cancer - as above!
Breast cancer - what I thought was lumps... was my ribs
Some insanely rare spinal cancer - a strained tailbone because as previously mentioned I'm unfit and did a high intensity work out dvd for 30 days and didn't stretch properly (double :blush::blush:)
Brain tumour - headaches from wearing my ponytail too tight

And so on and so forth, basically I am not reliable and my self appointed medical license should be revoked :D

nicole97
16-10-18, 16:31
I am so thrilled to hear how many people were wrong! Even as my HA is currently flaring up (and of course going to the worst case scenario), I can see how consuming this is for all of us, and how much time we waste on worrying. Many of us can't help it of course, but I am very glad we are usually wrong.

lofwyr
16-10-18, 16:53
Every single thing I worried about I didn't have. I did get diagnosed with a serious issue, but it had zero symptoms or signs, and was found by chance, and I am dealing with it. It was nothing I had ever considered worrying about.

Worriedwellornot
16-10-18, 19:06
This is a good thread.
Heart attack x 4 -wrong
Breast cancer -wrong
Cervical cancer -wrong
Bowel cancer x 3 wrong
Ovarian cancer x 3 wrong
Stomach cancer x2 wrong
Lung cancer wrong
Womb cancer wrong
Leukaemia wrong
Skin cancer wrong
Pancreatic cancer wrong
Eye cancer /retinal rear wrong
Oesophageal cancer wrong
MS wrong

Omg that’s nearly my whole body
Currently worrying about a brain tumour .

megan91
16-10-18, 19:09
Have never been right about the life threatening ones. Was right about Bell's palsy which is rare but hard to be wrong about that when you can't close your eye or drink out of a straw haha.

gg478
17-10-18, 04:10
Haven't been yet and hopefully won't ever be.

miggymoggy
17-10-18, 11:49
Haven't ever been right!
Headache - thought I had brain tumour - it went away
legs felt stiff - thought I had MS and demanded tests - nothing wrong
Stomach pains and lack of appetite and weight loss - had gastroscopy - gastritis and anxiety
Low white blood cell count - Lymphoma - went back up to normal levels on repeated blood test
Feeling dizzy and sick - Seratonin Syndrome - nope, it was anxiety
Ganglion on wrist - thought was bone cancer - was a ganglion
Microscopic blood in urine on tests - bladder cancer - was nothing - just one of those things
Bowel problems - bowel cancer - had colonoscopy- was IBS
Pain in jaw - thought was bone cancer - had MRI - was TMJ
Current worry - diagnosed with pneumonia after CT scan - worried something underlying caused it - repeat xray in a week to check cleared

PotatoKing
17-10-18, 16:54
Right, let's get on this:

Heart attack or even failure - was actually acid reflux and high BP.

Lymphoma - because I still have a node behind my ear thatis enlarged but it seemed that it has always been this way.

Lung cancer - just no.

Colon cancer - because I had some bleeding - was the piles + IBS.

Various types of blood cancer (myeloma and so on) - countless blood tests and just no.

MS - after MRI I was diagnosed by my neurologist as a "sensitive personality"

Esophagus cancer - after endoscopy I was also diagnosed as a "sensitive personality"

Also, what I thought to be pancreas cancer was actually a super fat meal I ate a day before.

The list goes on. The deepest one was ALS, but that started after I already went for HA therapy for a while, so instead of going to doctors I just somewhat tried to forget it. It worked. Still twitch here and there, dont care anymore.

AbyssalStars
17-05-21, 23:11
I have thought I had:

Cushing's Disease- was really PCOS

A brain tumor- just an insane headache

Epilepsy- it was really psychosomatic seizures (that were caused by anxiety/stress, go figure...)

The ONE time I got something right was when I was having back pain after eating. I knew something was up with something in my biliary tract (gallbladder and/or pancreas) and lo' and behold, my pancreas was inflamed (acute pancreatitis). Since this has been going on for a while I'm going to push for an EUS/MRCP to see if gallstones/sludge could be causing all of the back pain/inflammation I have been experiencing. But hey, at least it's probably not Pancreatic Cancer?