PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else struggle with this? OCD movement compulsions?

Ljj44577
06-03-17, 20:41
I struggle with this a lot. Whenever I'm doing anything (using the computer, typing, walking up the stairs, writing, turning on a light-switch, etc.), I have to do it a certain way or else I feel that my obsession won't go away. Does anyone else struggle with this? I feel that I have to move a certain way when I do things.

Can anyone relate?

xandernight17
07-03-17, 12:03
I have my own ways my symptoms show up , although only got the diagnosis a dee weeks ago of ocd, l will check taps constantly or be thinking if this man gets off the bus at the next stop things will be okay, or if my mother decides to go in that shop it will be okay. I am currently fighting thought routines such as a desire to run away from everything or being convinced l am dying, l tend to arrange my books in military piles or straighten things.

MyNameIsTerry
09-04-17, 07:55
Yes, I used to do it with all sorts of objects. It was so bad when I started therapy that I couldn't list my compulsions because I would have done them with the pen & paper constantly so I would have even more to list...and I had hundreds a day already.

It's a strange sort of frustration & tension pushing you to do it again until it feels "just right". That's how I felt with it. Anxiety was there but it was more building tension when doing it.

I would do it in shops with anything I touched, have to touch lampposts and walls or railings.

It's partly a Perfectionism thing. Symmetrical Thinking can be present as was Magical Thinking. Even intrusive thoughts with some of it. It was complicated as many themes of OCD were combining. I don't think people often realise how combinations happen like this as literature always seems to explain achieve theme in a distinct manner.

I've beaten it now though but at my worst, along with a few other obsessions, this was driving me crazy. It took various strategies such as ERP, relaxation work, breaking daily routines that they became a part of (one of my major obsessional elements), and taking control of my thoughts at the point of compulsion to change why I was doing it. The latter worked with some that nothing else seemed to be.

Aside from that I also had obsessive analysing if body movements, sleep, etc. Over thinking.