PDA

View Full Version : fluoxetine/prozac

vernon
26-10-04, 10:52
Hi, I have been taking Clomipramine for many years close to 25. I started initially on 150mg but now am taking 20mg a day. Last November my anxiety, panic and phobia symptoms returned quite bad, its less now but still stopping me going out alone and am feeling really anxious most of the time, I also wake every morning shaking, scared, very tired but to scared to go back to sleep, but this wears of a little as the day progresses. I went to the Doctor yesterday and she gave me some Fluoxetine/proza. Has anyone got any info on this med? And has anyone gone from a Tricicylic antidepressant to an ssri? A few weeks ago I seen a shrink and they gave me seroxat, witch after reading up didn’t take and told my GP I didn’t take them, and she said I was right for not taking them and she was advised not to proscribe them. She then prescribed the Fluoxetine/Prozac. If anyone has been on this or changed from a Tricycilic antidepressant to an ssri I would love to hear your view. Thanks.
Vernon

nomorepanic
26-10-04, 12:01
Vern

I went from Dothiepin to Prozac but I am not sure what Dothiepin is? Perhaps we could look it up on the net.

Nicola

sarah
26-10-04, 12:50
Hiya Nic and Vern

Dothiepin is a tricyclic anti d

love Sarah
xx

vernon
26-10-04, 12:55
thanks nic [8D] thanks stranger sarah how are u?

nomorepanic
26-10-04, 13:21
Thanks for that Sarah.

Ok Vern so in answer to your question, No I didn't have any problems going to one from the other.

I have to say, however, that the Prozac didn't touch the panic attacks. It cured the depression I am sure of that but I still went on to panic for many many years later so it didn't help me.

I stopped it 6 years ago and that was the last anti-depressant I had. I was on it for nearly a year I think.

Not sure that helped or not?

Nicola

sal
26-10-04, 13:56
Hi Vernon

Good to hear from you babe.

I went from a trycicylic to and ssri and didnt suffer any serious side affects.

Wasnt too good on prozac but all meds suit different people. I am now on cipramil which is an ssri and good for panic attacks and anxiety.

Hope the change over goes smoothly.

Lots of love Sal xxx

vernon
26-10-04, 14:05
thanks nic, still not tried it yet lol. but havnt heared any bad reports on its withdrawral like some ssri. I was only thinking of going on them for a short spell as I soon have to have some more eye surgery and am to scared to go lol. just hoped they might help the fear a bit. thasnks sal too how ae u babes we miss u in chat. thanks both Vernon

Karen
26-10-04, 14:20
Hi Vernon

I took Prozac for depression a few years ago and didn't have any problems when taking it, or when coming off it.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

vernon
26-10-04, 14:42
thanks karren, realy think i will give it a go [Yeah!] lol whats to lose. Vernon

Sue
26-10-04, 17:54
Hi Vernon,
I was on prozac for about 6 months which were prescribed by my GP-they didnt make any difference to panic attacks at all.

When I was referred to the mental health team, they took me off prozac and put me on sertraline (lustral). PAs have been a bit better since but have to say not sure if this is due to the tablets or a natuaral progression that would have happened any way??

hate taking them, but too scared to stop now!

Sue

vernon
26-10-04, 19:01
thanks sue, I get more anxiey and agrophobia than panic nowday, just seems to be real worried shaky and anxiouse most of the time. thanks vernon

nomorepanic
26-10-04, 19:20
Vern

Coming off Prozac was ok too - I just stopped it - felt a bit grotty for 2 weeks but nothing more.

I fairly sure that Meg said it is ok to stop Prozac just like that - she may correct me if I am wrong.

Nicola

jo-jo
26-10-04, 21:08
Hi Vernon

I'm on Prozac right now and have been twice before and I'm glad to say that I've never had any problems with it - even managed to come off it with no probs whatsoever. I'm currently taking it for anxiety and to be honest, its turned my life around so that I feel I'm living again! I can't say I'm totally without anxiety and I have my bad days, but nothing like I was experiencing before and I live a pretty normal life - I go out to pubs, for meals, go on holiday etc.

Prozac (fluoxetine) is probably one of the most widely described antidepressants worldwide and many studies have demonstrated its efficacy together with minimum side effects, however all drugs have the potential of some side effects and these are listed in the manufacturer's leaflet. Thankfully, only a small percentage of people experience these but in recent years there has been a lot of negative publicity surrounding Seroxat and the side effects it has caused (again only in a very small percentage of users) hence the reason many people are so wary of it.

Best wishes, Jo x

vernon
26-10-04, 22:22
thanks jo jo u have realy made me feel happy :)

vernon
29-10-04, 23:49
thanks nic :) thanks all