PDA

View Full Version : Please read..hit head yesterday and am panicking

One_phobic_gal
08-03-17, 02:16
Yesterday getting into the car quickly and distracted, I smashed the whole left side of my head into the car door frame . Afterword it hurt but then the pain went away. This afternoon (24hrs later) I started slowly developing a headache on that side, but didn't take Advil till I got home and by then the headache was very bad, and still is, that whole side hurts like a migraine so I'm convinced I have a brain bleed.
My dad who was at the hospital last time I hit my head and went to have it checked out, remembered how the dr examined me to make sure I didn't have a concussion, and did that with me at home. He's certain I'm okay and insists I don't go to the emergency. Naturally I think this is it, because I creied. Wolf so many times finally now when something is wrong he won't believe me. Anyway what should I do?? Am I worrying for nothing? Or go to the emergency room?

Megan99
08-03-17, 02:44
Lol! I was just about to post on here because I just hit the front part of my head near the hairline from bending over underneath a chair. It wasn't even that hard but the anxiety afterwards is making me feel sick. But anyway, I am glad you got to go to the doctor to get yours checked out! And no, I am absolutely certain that it is against a doctor's code of ethics to just send a patient away with lies just because they have "cried wolf". In fact I wouldn't really call it crying wolf. I have been to the doctor's 4 times these past few weeks and each time I had a legitimate concern that they addressed. You are genuinely worried and the doctor's job is to ease the worry or the pain. If the doctor says you are fine, believe them. I know it is easier said than done but doctors are trained professionals who know exactly what they are doing. Hope this helps! Feel better soon!:hugs:
-Megan

---------- Post added at 02:44 ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 ----------

Also I have heard that if you don't lose consciousness or vomit afterwards, then you should be fine.

GlassPinata
08-03-17, 02:49
I don't worry too much when I hit my own head (which is pretty often), but when my little boy bumps his head I am quick to take him to the doctor.
They always take it seriously and never imply that I am crying wolf, but at the same time there's nothing much they can do. They tell me to take him home and monitor him for 48 hours for signs of a concussion, etc.
At this point, I know the drill, and if he ever bumps his head again (as long as it's not too serious) I probably won't bother to have him seen, because I already know what to look for as far as signs of a concussion.
So far he's never had one, thank God. Although they once gave him a CT scan because, the day after he fell and bumped his head, he began vomiting and acting lethargic.
Turned out he just had a stomach virus, in addition to the head bump, lol. Even that time: no concussion.
I guess our heads are pretty hard....

Best wishes.

One_phobic_gal
08-03-17, 03:38
Lol! I was just about to post on here because I just hit the front part of my head near the hairline from bending over underneath a chair. It wasn't even that hard but the anxiety afterwards is making me feel sick. But anyway, I am glad you got to go to the doctor to get yours checked out! And no, I am absolutely certain that it is against a doctor's code of ethics to just send a patient away with lies just because they have "cried wolf". In fact I wouldn't really call it crying wolf. I have been to the doctor's 4 times these past few weeks and each time I had a legitimate concern that they addressed. You are genuinely worried and the doctor's job is to ease the worry or the pain. If the doctor says you are fine, believe them. I know it is easier said than done but doctors are trained professionals who know exactly what they are doing. Hope this helps! Feel better soon!:hugs:
-Megan

---------- Post added at 02:44 ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 ----------

Also I have heard that if you don't lose consciousness or vomit afterwards, then you should be fine.

I actually didn't get to see a dr, I only saw triage nurse who said they didn't think I should bother waiting 6hrs to see a dr.
I saw a dr last time I hit my head so he showed my dad what to look for with a concussion.
Even though I saw a triage nurse I'm terrified I made the wrong decision and should have stayed :( now I'll be an anxious mess all night

Lukas
08-03-17, 23:39
I got a mild concussion mid last year thanks to falling over(really really hard) my concussion was only mild and i still experienced vertigo, a pounding head pressure that made seeing difficult, and constant nausea. the rule of thumb for any dangerous head injuries is if you passed out after, threw up after. or if you felt the same pain from when you hit all day, its been a pretty long while and if nothing except developing a headache has happened i'd say you're likely in the clear x